The General eBay Rant Thread

It's not just sellers that can report. There are VeRO violations, which means Verified rights owner I believe. People from these publishers/companies go through ebay and report listings a la youtube when videos are flagged by copyright holders. That may have been it.

The companies that are most known for this through my experience and people that I know are Epic Games, Square Enix, and Polyphony Digital. Or maybe the individual devs don't report them and it is just Sony or MS, but I doubt it, because why focus on certain titles and not report every listing?

But one of my friends lost his seller account, because ebay was targeting him. He started off selling DLC normally and messaged them. Then after having listings taken down, he started mailing the DLC(leaflets, receipts, etc) via standard envelopes, because ebay told him he was allowed to sell them as only a physical item. But that became a problem, because buyers wanted their codes immediately and started asking for refunds, so he went back to messaging them again, but he kept the listing worded the way it was so ebay wouldn't sniff around. Anyway, one day he logged on and his account was suspended. He called ebay and they refused to even talk with him and hung up on him. He wrote to ebay's corporate office and eventually someone called him on the phone. They told him he was suspended because ebay went into his messages and saw he was messaging codes.

So ebay was monitoring him. The reason they don't remove all listings is because they don't have the resources to keep 24/7 tabs on millions of sellers, but if eventually you pop into their "field of vision" and they see you have a history of removed listings, they'll look into it on their own accord and without being prompted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys. This is more of inquiry than anything. I bought a memory card from a seller and it turned out to be counterfeit, opened a case and was refunded. I asked the seller how to proceed from there, regarding the item. I received a message to mail it to their drop box or whatever. I replied asking if I'd have to pay shipping and haven't heard back since. I still have yet to leave/receive feedback and am unsure whether to ask about shipping the item back again. Any advice? 

Hey guys. This is more of inquiry than anything. I bought a memory card from a seller and it turned out to be counterfeit, opened a case and was refunded. I asked the seller how to proceed from there, regarding the item. I received a message to mail it to their drop box or whatever. I replied asking if I'd have to pay shipping and haven't heard back since. I still have yet to leave/receive feedback and am unsure whether to ask about shipping the item back again. Any advice?
Who refunded you? eBay or the seller? It sounds like you get the refund and get to keep the counterfeit card. I highly doubt the seller is going to mail you anything else, replacement or otherwise. I'd just go find another seller.

Who refunded you? eBay or the seller? It sounds like you get the refund and get to keep the counterfeit card. I highly doubt the seller is going to mail you anything else, replacement or otherwise. I'd just go find another seller.

The seller refunded. Then i asked how to proceed on my end, they requested i mail it back. I replied asking if i would have to pay shipping. Havent heard back though. Feedback hasn't been left on either end, i don't know if i should leave any, they might neg me for not returning. Any advice??

Sellers can't leave buyers negative feedback. The right thing to do is return it if he'll pay return shipping but it certainly isn't your job to keep pushing if he isnt responding.

The seller refunded. Then i asked how to proceed on my end, they requested i mail it back. I replied asking if i would have to pay shipping. Havent heard back though. Feedback hasn't been left on either end, i don't know if i should leave any, they might neg me for not returning. Any advice??
There's nothing more for you to do here. If the seller wanted the item back, they should have worked that out with you prior to issuing a refunding - including details about return shipping, etc. If they gave you a full refund, just walk away and deal with someone else. They're not going to mail you a more legit item if you think this first one was was counterfeit. If you send it back they're just going to re-list it and you'll be out the return shipping cost. Keep the counterfeit or throw it away, take your refunded money and buy from someone else. They can't leave you a negative or do anything else.

Okay, thanks. I wanted to return it (because, ethically, I felt it would be right to do), but seeing as the seller hasn't responded I'll just leave the feedback. Any chance they won't leave any for me? (I am new to the ebay community and trying to build my feedback).

Okay, thanks. I wanted to return it (because, ethically, I felt it would be right to do), but seeing as the seller hasn't responded I'll just leave the feedback. Any chance they won't leave any for me? (I am new to the ebay community and trying to build my feedback).
You might feel it would be the right thing to do ethically, but if it is indeed counterfeit, then on an ethical level it should be thrown in the trash or destroyed and not sent back and forth through the mail. Or, you know, you could just use it unless you think the memory card is liable to corrupt and lose all of your saves.

I honestly wouldn't bother with leaving them (positive) feedback unless you're certain this was a one time mistake and they're not hawking all sorts of other counterfeit goods. They may or may not leave you any feedback regardless of what you do. Unless you plan on becoming a seller on eBay, your feedback doesn't matter once you cross the threshold of getting a handful of positive feedbacks as a buyer. And really, if you wanted to pad your feedback score, you can do that by buying a bunch of cheap stuff from buy.com via eBay or any number of sellers of cheap (probably counterfeit) crap from China who will leave you instant positive feedback.

My advice would be just to walk away from this situation completely and move on already.

General eBay eye-rolling:

I bought two (re)packs of Magic: the Gathering cards from a guy.  Just cheap packs of 20 cards from old sets and I toss them into a big box for my kid and I to pick through for casual fun decks.  They were a couple bucks each with free shipping, no big deal.

I hadn't received them yet which was getting sort of long and then today the mailman came to my door.  He had my envelope but I had $1.83 postage due on it.  The seller just used a standard letter stamp but the pack bulged the envelope and maybe it had to be hand-sorted or something but anyway it wasn't sufficient.  I sent the seller a note about it with a photo of the envelope with the "Postage Due" stamp on it.  To his credit, the seller promptly sent me the $1.83 via Paypal and apologized.  I left him positive feedback.

Then I noticed that he only put one of the two packs in the envelope.  I sent him another note saying that there was only one pack.  I said I already left positive feedback and would just let him handle it how he saw fit from here.  Send me my second pack, send me a single card he thinks is worth the couple bucks, refund me the couple bucks, whatever.  Honestly, the couple dollars isn't important to me but I saw he sold a good number of these repacks and I figured he should know what he's doing and get his act together before he has twenty claims filed against him with eBay.  I think he's sincerely trying to do the right thing based on his postage refund but he just didn't think the logistics through of his operation.  He hasn't responded yet -- even if he just blows me off I don't care too much.  He just needs to get his damn act together :shame:

The seller is breaking new ground. I think I'm going to sell a PS4 on ebay and just stick a single stamp on the shipping box and mail it out.

See what happens!

Is it best to keep a seller account and buyer account separate?

I have been buying a couple of games and they tell me there fine and then are scratched to shit when they arrive.

Is it best to keep a seller account and buyer account separate?

I have been buying a couple of games and they tell me there fine and then are scratched to shit when they arrive.
That's what I wish I had done before I had gone this deep with selling. It's never happened to me but I'm sure someone has been retaliated against as a seller for something they did as a buyer. Usually if I have a problem with a seller I add them to my blocked buyers list straight away. Plus if you're selling video games but buying teapots or "definitely not used" panties, your potential buyers don't need the option to see who is leaving you positive feedback on your purchases. I sometimes even flip stuff from eBay right back onto eBay and I always feel a little nervous that the person I bought from will see I'm reselling what I bought from them but at a higher price.

So ebay added the policies nonsense back to listings, but I can't edit any of them because "we are breaking them in slowly, check your seller status to find out when this option becomes available to you" or some BS.

I really hate that site.

Then I noticed that he only put one of the two packs in the envelope. I sent him another note saying that there was only one pack. I said I already left positive feedback and would just let him handle it how he saw fit from here. Send me my second pack, send me a single card he thinks is worth the couple bucks, refund me the couple bucks, whatever.
He responded yesterday and said he had sent them out separately. So maybe I'll get another $1.83 postage due envelope! :pray:

Should I trust this or no? Message from potential buyer.

If you revise my eBay history feedback, you will see I am a buyer highly rated with almost 400 Positive feedbacks since 2005. All these purchases were sucessfully made with the seller shipping the item directly in an USPS post office. Honestly, I don't like eBay Global Shipping Program simply because they does not allow me to use the reliable shipping method I am used to: First Class Mail International WITH Registered Mail service.

If you could accept that, that is an instant purchase. And don't worry about the non-guarantee policies of eBay. If the item get lost that is my problem without any loss to you, as long you inform the tracking number located in the postal receipt.

If you accept, let me know, I will hit Buy it Now, and pay you tomorrow.

Seems like to me the only risk is if the tracking does not update to show it's delivered. If isn't, then the buyer will be able to win a claim regardless. The question is whether eBay will seek reimbursement out of your Paypal account or not. If for example, it was insured, I'd imagine that they would go after the post office (or from you and then you go after the USPS). If the item isn't insured, I guess the question is whether eBay would find you at fault or not. My guess is since usually the obligation is on the seller, eBay would seek reimbursement from your account. Guess somebody like GBA would know better since he's more experienced with these types of situations.

I am pretty sure the seller is responsible for delivery of any package, the last I read from them. I am not sure about items in the global shipping program though as that might be different. So the seller is effectively responsible for the actions of the shipping service they select to use.

I would take it by a case by case situation. I know buyers don't like the Global Shipping program because they get hit for extra costs, but I usually just use that because I don't want to deal with the forms and having to drop off packages during post office hours. Also, I've never needed it, but eBay supposedly covers you if anything happens to the package after it gets to the eBay shipping center (Kentucky I believe).

If he has a good amount of recent positive feedback and has left feedback for others I would probably do it if I was the seller.

I've shipped internationally before where the tracking never updated to delivered status, but the buyer did get it. I'm worried that if this doesn't, it'll be used to take advantage and rip me off.

I've shipped internationally before where the tracking never updated to delivered status, but the buyer did get it. I'm worried that if this doesn't, it'll be used to take advantage and rip me off.
If and when that happens go to that countries post office site and plug the DC number in there. They should be valid in all countries that guarantee DC as of Jan., 20th, 2014. I had a few that went to Canada last year that didn't show Delivered on eBay or USPS so the buyers opened cases but on the Canada Post site they showed delivered.

Post office question...you know how sometimes UPS will ship something but then drop it off at the post-office for next-day delivery via the mail? (Amazon does this a lot with 2-day shipping anymore, it's in your area but they drop it off at the PO for next day) If you know what PO it's dropped off at can you drop by and request it there or will they refuse to look for it (whether it's a policy thing or they can if they feel like it but don't have to)? I'm not in a rush and can wait until tomorrow but I have errands out that way and if I can get it while I'm there it would be kinda nice to do it then since today is my night off.

Post office question...you know how sometimes UPS will ship something but then drop it off at the post-office for next-day delivery via the mail? (Amazon does this a lot with 2-day shipping anymore, it's in your area but they drop it off at the PO for next day) If you know what PO it's dropped off at can you drop by and request it there or will they refuse to look for it (whether it's a policy thing or they can if they feel like it but don't have to)? I'm not in a rush and can wait until tomorrow but I have errands out that way and if I can get it while I'm there it would be kinda nice to do it then since today is my night off.
Wouldn't hurt to go and ask. I've had that happen with UPS Surepost and got it later in the day at the PO. I'd give them a little time and make sure UPS's tracking says that it's been delivered to your local PO. As it should say "received by local post office", not that "package transferred to local post office"(meaning UPS didn't actually deliver it to the PO yet).

Also make sure you bring your ID, as they'll make sure it matches the name on the package.

Ugh sometimes sellers are unbelieveable.

I ordered this paperback graphic novel because it was described as near mint, no damage and I've been having trouble finding a copy in such condition. I include a note asking the seller to please be sure to package it securely so it won't be damaged in transit, because USPS Media Mail is the best way to destroy books that aren't properly packaged. The seller shipped it in a bubble envelope, but didn't include any rigid cardboard or anything like that. You could bend the package and there was a big crease down the middle of the packaging when I got it. So I expected the book to be kind of damaged. When I opened it up, it wasn't creased down the middle but the whole top corner was smashed in. This EASILY could have been avoided if the seller just used one piece of cardboard to protect the edges of the book. I know because that's how I ship paperback graphic novels all the time and I've never had one compaint for cheap books or for rare expensive books.

Of course I opened a case and I'm sure I'll get my money back one way or the other. It's just incredibly frustrating that the seller was too lazy to slip in a piece of cardboard to avoid this entire situation. Especially since I ordered it from a seller who purports to be a comic book shop and not just some random dude selling things such as myself.

Ugh sometimes sellers are unbelieveable...
I order a lot of stuff on eBay and so many times the way they're shipped blows my mind. I've received $100 CIB games in bubble mailers, a lot of 12 PS3 games I paid over $100 for in a Cheerios box with no packing materials and crumbs, rare comics in Manila envelopes, the list goes on. Some from random people and some from major sellers. What some people find acceptable for shipping blows my mind. And the Cheerios box was a major seller/game store with over 100,000 feedback BTW.

I remembered another one too. I won an almost complete collection of Pokemon games for $176. Know how they shipped it? In a standard letter envelope with 2 stamps. And of course it arrived as nothing but an empty envelope.

I remembered another one too. I won an almost complete collection of Pokemon games for $176. Know how they shipped it? In a standard letter envelope with 2 stamps. And of course it arrived as nothing but an empty envelope.
Two stamps? Sounds like an attempted scam to me. You couldn't even ship two games for that kind of postage.

Meanwhile, I'm dealing with a buyer. I listed and sold my Win 8 Pro digital upgrade card, shipped it the next morning and last night the guy opened a dispute saying: ""This item WASN'T anything as expected. A piece of card board with instructions, that wouldn't even work. A total SCAM!!!!I'll be glad to send it back, but want a full refund."

Enter Headache, stage right....

The listing clearly stated in the first line: "For sale is an unused (Brand new) activation/download key for Windows 8 Pro. This will upgrade any modern version of Windows (XP and newer) to Windows 8 Pro. "

I already responded with:

"I am sorry you are having trouble with the code you purchased, but I can assure it is not fake.

It was sent to me directly from Microsoft a week before I listed it on eBay. The outer envelope was opened to confirm the contents and to take the photo used in the listing, but the seal on the card was never broken.

The reason for the card, and no CD, is because this is a Digital Upgrade, meaning that once it is activated, the files are downloaded from Microsoft via your internet connection instead of loaded from a CD/DVD like older versions of Windows.

How are you attempting to use it? Which version of Windows are you attempting to upgrade from?

I will gladly help walk you through getting it installed. A good place to start is: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

Please get back to me so we can get everything straightened out and working for you.

Thanks
At no point did I mention a refund. The listing was set for no refunds and also said to clearly understand if it will work for your PC as all sales are final. If he claims the key is no good, I will gladly contact MS and see when it was redeemed.

From checking eBay's wall of rules and restrictions, I should be in the clear, but who the hell knows. Ugh...

UPDATE: And the guy's being evasive, not answering a single question and just demanding a refund. I'm going to continue to offer support until he escalates it.

If you ship an item internationally and mark the value lower on the custom's forms, can that hurt you on an ebay or paypal case? A seller asked me if I could do that for them.

Update on my situation, the guy is getting pissy now, but I had him sent me the code through eBay messaging and just confirmed the code works perfectly fine on two different PCs (both XP and Win 7), without actually installing obviously, and the problem is on his end.  Not my problem - I walked him through steps to prove the the product he received was good and as described in the auction.  

Is there anything else I need to do at this point?  

You can offer to call him to walk him through the steps live. If it is unresolved, he might open a case about it. Another thing to consider is to just accept a return if the code is still valid.

You can offer to call him to walk him through the steps live. If it is unresolved, he might open a case about it. Another thing to consider is to just accept a return if the code is still valid.
My concern is that he'll return the card, but keep a copy of the code. He gets the refund and then proceeds to use the code. Like I said, I had him send me the product key via message on eBay and I verified that the code was valid and worked fine on both an XP and Win 7 machine. He's claiming that every time he tries to use it, it asks him to either insert a disc or buy it. It's pretty clear he's doing something wrong, despite giving him the direct link to the Win 8 installer needed for Product Key-only installs.

I prefer not to deal on the phone for two reasons. For one, it's off the record. Doing it via eBay messaging keeps a record of our conversation that can be seen by eBay support if/when it gets escalated. Secondly, I don't want anyone like this guy having my personal number, especially if he escalates the claim and eBay finds in my favor.

That said, I'm well aware the next step would be escalation. What I'm curious of is if I covered all of my bases. The item was as listed (no mention of CD/DVD, listed as key and card), code was confirmed as being perfectly valid (and not fake, invalid as the buyer claimed in the dispute) and if need be, I can provide my source for the card/key (direct from MS). I also added in there to confirm that the system is capable of running Windows 8 before bidding, quoting required specs from MS and even linked the compatibility checker.

In addition to being illegal, it would hurt you on an insurance case.
Could you link an article, any article, that shows someone in the U.S. getting in "legal" trouble for declaring a lower value on a customs form? I ask in theory because you won't be able to find one---there is an ongoing thread with thousands of posts on the eBay forums but outside of someone lying about contents of shipping containers and getting in trouble with the IRS no one has found anything of that sort. Many countries pay 60% of the declared value in taxes/fees. So while morales/ethics may come into play you can understand why the buyer would perhaps be appreciative of having the seller declare a lower value, even if it was what the seller paid for the item wholesale.

Not to mention that when an item hits a taxable threshold it is often held for a longer period of time, which increases the odds that a buyer may file an INR or leave lesser feedback/DSR stars and unless they state in writing it was because of not declaring a lower value you won't get them scrubbed from your account.

And as far as insurance payouts go USPS is the only company that will only payout what is declared on the customs form. All of the major 3rd party companies (U-Pic, Shipsurance, Stamps, etc.) will cover what the buyer paid regardless of how it is declared.

But the best advice is do what you feel most comfortable with. If you don't feel comfortable declaring a lower value don't do it.

Could you link an article, any article, that shows someone in the U.S. getting in "legal" trouble for declaring a lower value on a customs form? I ask in theory because you won't be able to find one---there is an ongoing thread with thousands of posts on the eBay forums but outside of someone lying about contents of shipping containers and getting in trouble with the IRS no one has found anything of that sort. Many countries pay 60% of the declared value in taxes/fees. So while morales/ethics may come into play you can understand why the buyer would perhaps be appreciative of having the seller declare a lower value, even if it was what the seller paid for the item wholesale.
Not to mention that when an item hits a taxable threshold it is often held for a longer period of time, which increases the odds that a buyer may file an INR or leave lesser feedback/DSR stars and unless they state in writing it was because of not declaring a lower value you won't get them scrubbed from your account.

And as far as insurance payouts go USPS is the only company that will only payout what is declared on the customs form. All of the major 3rd party companies (U-Pic, Shipsurance, Stamps, etc.) will cover what the buyer paid regardless of how it is declared.

But the best advice is do what you feel most comfortable with. If you don't feel comfortable declaring a lower value don't do it.
Just because there hasn't been (at least published, per your statement) an enforced case does not make it less fraudulent. I'm not here to debate the ethical side of the matter, nor am I judging anyone.

I am suspect that any shipping company would pay out higher than the insured value, but not enough to worry about checking into it.

Just because there hasn't been (at least published, per your statement) an enforced case does not make it less fraudulent. I'm not here to debate the ethical side of the matter, nor am I judging anyone.

I am suspect that any shipping company would pay out higher than the insured value, but not enough to worry about checking into it.
I ship many many many packages internationally each year and have had to file many many insurance claims with U-Pic, Shipsurance and Stamps.com (PiP insurance I believe) and they all pay out according to what the buyer paid on the invoice including shipping (except the company stamps uses---they only pay out what the buyer paid on the invoice excluding shipping). That is just how they work; USPS only pays out what is declared on the customs label.

Not paying your taxes can get you in trouble. The U.S. doesn't care about lower declaration values on outgoing customs forms. The only thing they care about is if you're shipping illegal/hazardous items. They don't tax incoming/outgoing packages (within reason) but the recipients country does and that is a battle the buyer has to fight.

But again---each their own.

I ship many many many packages internationally each year and have had to file many many insurance claims with U-Pic, Shipsurance and Stamps.com (PiP insurance I believe) and they all pay out according to what the buyer paid on the invoice including shipping (except the company stamps uses---they only pay out what the buyer paid on the invoice excluding shipping). That is just how they work; USPS only pays out what is declared on the customs label.

Not paying your taxes can get you in trouble. The U.S. doesn't care about lower declaration values on outgoing customs forms. The only thing they care about is if you're shipping illegal/hazardous items. They don't tax incoming/outgoing packages (within reason) but the recipients country does and that is a battle the buyer has to fight.

But again---each their own.
My point, which is fact, is that it is a fraudulent to falsify (declare a lower value) or mark an item as gift to avoid customs fees. It's not just illegal, it's a felony. I've seen your previous posts and know you've shipped enough to understand the risks and rules; that doesn't mean that others here have that same understanding. A lot of the questions asked here are by relative newcomers to ebay and online selling. Its important for them to understand the risks rather than getting a simple "not an issue, go for it."

From ebay:
Note: It's illegal to falsify customs declarations or mark an item as a "gift" in order to avoid customs fees. If a buyer asks you to commit customs fraud, report it to us.

^ It's in eBay's best interest to get EVERYONE to use the Global Shipping Program. It is in eBay's best interest to mislead, lie, cheat and make international shipping look "Big Bad and Scary". In fact, it's in my best interest too because that just means less competition as it is well known that with only a few exceptions most international customers will not buy items or at least prefer to not buy items where the seller only ships via GSP as they (the buyer) end up paying more for items as eBay (via Pitney Bowes distribution center) add in taxes/import fees that often times the buyer wouldn't end up having to pay).

Again each their own. When people debate the "paying use tax" topic there is tangible proof that it is illegal and people have been prosecuted for it. When debating the "Customs declaration issue" it is all just theory until someone can find anything at all related to it being prosecuted (and not an article about people smuggling hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of automobiles or electronics in/out of the country to try and avoid paying taxes on it)

My concern is that he'll return the card, but keep a copy of the code. He gets the refund and then proceeds to use the code. Like I said, I had him send me the product key via message on eBay and I verified that the code was valid and worked fine on both an XP and Win 7 machine. He's claiming that every time he tries to use it, it asks him to either insert a disc or buy it. It's pretty clear he's doing something wrong, despite giving him the direct link to the Win 8 installer needed for Product Key-only installs.

I prefer not to deal on the phone for two reasons. For one, it's off the record. Doing it via eBay messaging keeps a record of our conversation that can be seen by eBay support if/when it gets escalated. Secondly, I don't want anyone like this guy having my personal number, especially if he escalates the claim and eBay finds in my favor.

That said, I'm well aware the next step would be escalation. What I'm curious of is if I covered all of my bases. The item was as listed (no mention of CD/DVD, listed as key and card), code was confirmed as being perfectly valid (and not fake, invalid as the buyer claimed in the dispute) and if need be, I can provide my source for the card/key (direct from MS). I also added in there to confirm that the system is capable of running Windows 8 before bidding, quoting required specs from MS and even linked the compatibility checker.

Well the buyer doesn't seem like a scammer to me.

He would have used the code by now and just either claimed a SNAD or INR case. The guy may genuinely have poor common sense. I've actually contacted some buyers through phone to explain to them what DLC's are and how to exactly redeem a code. A lot of folks that I run into with this, tend to be the older generation that isn't very tech savvy.

As for fear of your personal info, I usually do my eBay work at my full-time job and since I work for the government, my calls are always blocked for ID purposes so I've personally never dealt with this issue. If I'm not mistaken, I think there's a way to block your ID on a personal phone but I belive it's a certain phone feature with your carrier that has to be activated.

Is this card something that requires to be physically inserted into the hard drive? If not, you can consider relisting your auction for a BIN and instant email delivery. By selling it to another buyer, you can then proceed to refund your 1st buyer. In the past, I've relisted items for an even higher price than it originally sold for while going back and forth with the unhappy buyer. It buys me time to sell it at a greater cost with the possibility of resolving the first sale through refunding payment. The only tricky thing I've run into with this is asking the second buyer to agree to give me instant feedback so as to ensure he/she was the one that actually redeemed the key.

I don't know what defines value anyway. What if the item I'm selling was a hand me down from a relative and I don't know the value of it? How could USPS know one way or another what the value of it is?

What if I'm a soccer mom that knows nothing about video games and just listed an item for what they thought it was worth?

What if I got what usually is a $50 item at a yard sale from some clueless guy for $15?

You don't get receipts at yard sales, how would one prove I didn't?

Item value seems completely subjective and arbitrary IMO.

I don't know what defines value anyway. What if the item I'm selling was a hand me down from a relative and I don't know the value of it? How could USPS know one way or another what the value of it is?

What if I'm a soccer mom that knows nothing about video games and just listed an item for what they thought it was worth?

What if I got what usually is a $50 item at a yard sale from some clueless guy for $15?

You don't get receipts at yard sales, how would one prove I didn't?

Item value seems completely subjective and arbitrary IMO.
The value is the amount it sold for (not including shipping).

Here's a similar recent post on the ebay forums: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/what-if-an-international-customer-asks-me-to-declare-less-than/qaq-p/20400006

And another one that's a bit older (2006): https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Seller-Central/Read-The-New-Announcement-on-Customs-Declaration-Forms/td-p/2277269

Frankly, you have no obligation to the buyer to even step into the supposed "grey area." Anyone who imports regularly knows that they may be required to pay the associated fees.

The value is the amount it sold for (not including shipping).

Here's a similar recent post on the ebay forums: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/what-if-an-international-customer-asks-me-to-declare-less-than/qaq-p/20400006

And another one that's a bit older (2006): https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Seller-Central/Read-The-New-Announcement-on-Customs-Declaration-Forms/td-p/2277269

Frankly, you have no obligation to the buyer to even step into the supposed "grey area." Anyone who imports regularly knows that they may be required to pay the associated fees.
Yeah, but the post office doesn't know this was an ebay sale.

Yeah, but the post office doesn't know this was an ebay sale.
It's called 'integrity' and it seems to be missing in this thread of late.

Look, the facts are these: if you falsify the customs form it's a felony. Listing anything less than the sold value of the item is stealing (in the form of import fees and taxes) from the destination country. Listing something different than the sold item or being too vague is also considered falsifying the form. As an eBay seller, you have agreed to aside by eBay's TOS, which include what I've stated above. The TOS also states you should include an invoice with every sale and maintain a copy for your records.

Also facts are: It's likely you won't get caught. You have the freedom to choose (seriously, people lie all the time - look at the folks that run the country).

Is anyone else having problems using PayPal? Especially trying to check out on eBay? On both Firefox and Chrome it's giving me the ultra-danger alert that PayPal doesn't have the proper certificates or its not the reall PayPal page.

I'm able to check out on my phone though.

Going back to the international shipping - I pretty much for the most part just use the global shipping program. I was very hesitant to use it at first but so far I've had no problems. I've mailed out 12 things since April with it. I know some people don't use it because it charges the buyer more, but I probably wouldn't bother doing international then if I couldn't use it.

Once in a while if someone contacts me asking to do it outside I will if they have a very strong presence and ebay feedback.

Going back to the international shipping - I pretty much for the most part just use the global shipping program. I was very hesitant to use it at first but so far I've had no problems. I've mailed out 12 things since April with it. I know some people don't use it because it charges the buyer more, but I probably wouldn't bother doing international then if I couldn't use it.

Once in a while if someone contacts me asking to do it outside I will if they have a very strong presence and ebay feedback.
I don't bother with international outside of global shipping either. Before, any time someone asked for a quote for international shipping didn't buy, so it was just a waste of my time. Or they ask for falsified values, which I'm also not comfortable doing. So I just let eBay handle it.

Is anyone else having problems using PayPal? Especially trying to check out on eBay? On both Firefox and Chrome it's giving me the ultra-danger alert that PayPal doesn't have the proper certificates or its not the reall PayPal page.

I'm able to check out on my phone though.
I used Chrome this morning and no issues.

bread's done
Back