The General eBay Rant Thread

.... so contact eBay Support ... ??

I don't understand what's so hard about that.

Or just contact the seller and tell them what you're telling us. I'm sure they will assist you in getting the item back safely -- just make sure you get tracking on the package if at all possible.

Bah! My p90x got pulled down for copyright infringement. I guess it's going on craigslist. I'm pretty annoyed by the amount of used sets that didn't get pulled and sold.

[quote name='trollape74']Bah! My p90x got pulled down for copyright infringement. I guess it's going on craigslist. I'm pretty annoyed by the amount of used sets that didn't get pulled and sold.[/QUOTE]

You're not allowed to sell P90X? What?

Yea, I think the seller just forgot the decimal. I've done that before. Many times eBay has yelled at me for trying to do a $299 First Class shipping.

I made a thread about this asking for advice, but I'll probably have better luck in here getting a response... Copypaste incoming.

I listed my Asus transformer tablet with keyboard on Ebay yesterday. Someone used buy it now to purchase it. Well I checked their account, it was created last November, and has zero feedback. That's a bit of a red flag for me. Then I went to paypal, and it says their shipping address is verified, but further down the page it says (The sender of this payment is Unverified). I'm concerned I'm about to get scammed. Am I covered by paypal or ebay, or should I not risk it and refund?

Check out this gem...

I sold a copy of WWE '12: People's Choice Edition (PS3) in February (over a month ago). It was new/sealed and today the buyer opens a SNAD (not as described) case through eBay with the following statement attached:

"Hey man! I bought your game about a month ago for gift. I was on USA for 4 months in a work & travel program. So the gift was for my little brother cause he wanted to play with The Rock on WWE 12 (tough I told him he could use it on wwe 13...) well the point is I arrived this past week to my country (Peru) and I gave the game to my brother. As he is in school, he wasn't able to play it until last Sunday when he tried to enter the code and it didn't work. He thought he wasn't typing it well, so he asked me for help and I saw the expiration was on December last year. So now here's the thing, if I bought your People's edition of wwe 12, it wasn't certainly for the card that comes with it, it was cause my brother wanted to play with the Rock on it... so you either tried to cheat me or you really didn't know the code didn't work any more. So now I don't know what to do, I could've just buy the normal wwe 12 like 10 dollars cheaper. Please tell me what can you do to retrieve all of this"

Now keep in mind I have no idea if "The Rock" is a downloadable character but knowing full well the game is over a year old one of the very first things I put in my listing was:

"Downloadable content may have expired".

[quote name='skiizim']Is used code word for bootleg? I have no other idea why they would get pulled if it wasn't for that.[/QUOTE]
Well that's what their reasoning is. I bought it from ebay bundled with insanity and I just stuck with insanity. It looks legit to me or possibly a great bootleg. I don't like that other people's listings aren't being pulled and are selling even though they are listed as used and never specify that it came from Beach Body LLC direct.

[quote name='opterasis']I made a thread about this asking for advice, but I'll probably have better luck in here getting a response... Copypaste incoming.

I listed my Asus transformer tablet with keyboard on Ebay yesterday. Someone used buy it now to purchase it. Well I checked their account, it was created last November, and has zero feedback. That's a bit of a red flag for me. Then I went to paypal, and it says their shipping address is verified, but further down the page it says (The sender of this payment is Unverified). I'm concerned I'm about to get scammed. Am I covered by paypal or ebay, or should I not risk it and refund?[/QUOTE]

What is it about the account being created in November and having zero feedback that raises a red flag? Not being a jerk, just curious why it does that for you.

As for verified shipping address and unverified account. I've been selling more on ebay the last few months and have had this more often. I think it means they haven't linked a bank account to their PP account. Although them being a verified sender would be more comforting, I wouldn't automatically assume it's a scammer. I've yet to have an issue with it so far (*knock on wood*), so I don't it's something you should be paranoid about.

I'm not trying to tell you that you should/shouldn't do it - that's your choice. Just trying to share my experience that not all low feedback or "unverified" buyers are scammers.

[quote name='major morgan']What is it about the account being created in November and having zero feedback that raises a red flag? Not being a jerk, just curious why it does that for you.

As for verified shipping address and unverified account. I've been selling more on ebay the last few months and have had this more often. I think it means they haven't linked a bank account to their PP account. Although them being a verified sender would be more comforting, I wouldn't automatically assume it's a scammer. I've yet to have an issue with it so far (*knock on wood*), so I don't it's something you should be paranoid about.

I'm not trying to tell you that you should/shouldn't do it - that's your choice. Just trying to share my experience that not all low feedback or "unverified" buyers are scammers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. I think just the fact that they made an account and did nothing with it for 6 months seemed weird to me. I guess I'm just concerned over all the horror stories I'm hearing lately about Ebay apparently constantly siding with buyers over sellers.

[quote name='opterasis']Thanks for the input. I think just the fact that they made an account and did nothing with it for 6 months seemed weird to me. I guess I'm just concerned over all the horror stories I'm hearing lately about Ebay apparently constantly siding with buyers over sellers.[/QUOTE]

Understood. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have concerns about some of my ebay buyers. The person who bought from you could have created it 6 mos. ago and bid on stuff without winning anything, they also could have bought something and not been given feedback from the seller. It's hard to say what the exact reason is, but don't let the 0 feedback get you worked up over what could be nothing.

It's been said before, but I think it needs to be repeated/re-emphasized. There are bad buyers and scammers out there, no doubt. But you know people aren't going to come back here telling stories after every "good" transaction they have saying "I just had the most pleasant sale on ebay today!". You're pretty much only going to get the bad ones.

Ebay will do what they please, so if you are really concerned about ebay or a buyer screwing you over, you may be better served taking your sales elsewhere if that makes you more comfortable - your earnings may be less than what you can get from ebay, but you can't buy piece of mind!

[quote name='opterasis']Thanks for the input. I think just the fact that they made an account and did nothing with it for 6 months seemed weird to me. I guess I'm just concerned over all the horror stories I'm hearing lately about Ebay apparently constantly siding with buyers over sellers.[/QUOTE]

Check the completed auctions they've bid on to help set your mind at ease. As long as the buyer isn't requesting you ship to a different address you should be good. I would advise that when you ship you pay extra for "Signature Confirmation". It's required for seller protection for sales over $200.00 but isn't a bad idea (provided you sold for less) if you're unsure. Also remember insurance is your responsibility as the seller (per ebay). Finally google is your friend. Check their shipping info if you're still unsure

Personally I wouldn't be too concerned as long as the bidder doesn't have a recent history of multiple of the same item purchases. Everybody has to build their feedback and unfortunately it's harder now for a buyer. With all of the problems with unreasonable buyers and fraud, sellers usually wait for the buyer to leave feedback first before "returning the favor". Another thing to consider is the buyer can also be a seller that has multiple accounts that aren't used frequently. Many sellers like to make their purchases on a different account.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chedeng88']3DS XL Pikachu for $5,000.00 anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-USA-Nin...0960127132?pt=Video_Games&hash=item35c64bdc9c[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the seller used someone else s picture as their ebay ID doesn't match that name on the paper under the 3ds

[quote name='GBAstar']Check out this gem...

I sold a copy of WWE '12: People's Choice Edition (PS3) in February (over a month ago). It was new/sealed and today the buyer opens a SNAD (not as described) case through eBay with the following statement attached:
[/QUOTE]

wow I hope ebay realizes this is an idiot

[quote name='GBAstar']Check out this gem...

Now keep in mind I have no idea if "The Rock" is a downloadable character but knowing full well the game is over a year old one of the very first things I put in my listing was:

"Downloadable content may have expired".[/QUOTE]

What a dumbass buyer. How is that the seller's fault?

Did you by chance advertise the Rock's DLC as part of the sale? If you didn't, you can also argue you were only advertising a sealed WWE '12 to further add to your case. Also, I'd be surprised if the DLC wasn't publicly available for sale. If it is, that'd be one way to resolve the issue with the stupid buyer.

[quote name='Donut2922']What a dumbass buyer. How is that the seller's fault?

Did you by chance advertise the Rock's DLC as part of the sale? If you didn't, you can also argue you were only advertising a sealed WWE '12 to further add to your case. Also, I'd be surprised if the DLC wasn't publicly available for sale. If it is, that'd be one way to resolve the issue with the stupid buyer.[/QUOTE]

I listed the contents straight from the THQ listing but made it clear that because the game is over a year old the DLC content may very well be expired.

I'm not worried about it. I'm just going to select "Return for Refund". If he is in South America it will cost him more then the price of the game to ship it back with tracking, which he would need, to get his refund.

I wouldn't even mind offering a partial refund but I don't want to encourage this type of behavior and I also feel like if I do then he'll feel like he's justified in calling me a cheat.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I wonder if the seller used someone else s picture as their ebay ID doesn't match that name on the paper under the 3ds[/QUOTE]

I think it really is their photo. They just didn't write the full ID name out.

[quote name='GBAstar']I listed the contents straight from the THQ listing but made it clear that because the game is over a year old the DLC content may very well be expired.

I'm not worried about it. I'm just going to select "Return for Refund". If he is in South America it will cost him more then the price of the game to ship it back with tracking, which he would need, to get his refund.

I wouldn't even mind offering a partial refund but I don't want to encourage this type of behavior and I also feel like if I do then he'll feel like he's justified in calling me a cheat.[/QUOTE]

I googled it and according to N4G the Rock DLC is available for sale for all platforms already.

I would respond with your disclaimer the DLC may have been expired as a reminder. Also, mention that the DLC is available for sale. Some buyers believe it or not are bad with google and don't bother checking whether DLC is already available for public sale before buying them on eBay. That way you can avoid the whole return mess.

i sold some dlc on ebay in november and in january the buyer did a chargeback.. i sent paypal information about the auction free # and i lost the dispute. well this morning i check my account and the cost of the dlc was put back into my account. i called paypal to see what it was and they first told me it was a courtesy for being such a great paypal user.. then i asked how was this decided and she told me to hang on and came back and told me i won the dispute after the buyer didnt give his credit card company any evidence to dispute the charge.. i then asked what the $20 chargeback fee was and she immediately waived it as a courtesy..

so i guess this an ebay rave!

[quote name='mitemouse']i sold some dlc on ebay in november and in january the buyer did a chargeback.. i sent paypal information about the auction free # and i lost the dispute. well this morning i check my account and the cost of the dlc was put back into my account. i called paypal to see what it was and they first told me it was a courtesy for being such a great paypal user.. then i asked how was this decided and she told me to hang on and came back and told me i won the dispute after the buyer didnt give his credit card company any evidence to dispute the charge.. i then asked what the $20 chargeback fee was and she immediately waived it as a courtesy..

so i guess this an ebay rave![/QUOTE]

post this fucker's id.

[quote name='Donut2922']What a dumbass buyer. How is that the seller's fault?

Did you by chance advertise the Rock's DLC as part of the sale? If you didn't, you can also argue you were only advertising a sealed WWE '12 to further add to your case. Also, I'd be surprised if the DLC wasn't publicly available for sale. If it is, that'd be one way to resolve the issue with the stupid buyer.[/QUOTE]

Dopey buyers don't bother reading the entire listing, or for that matter any policies regarding what they are using. If they feel entitled to something, that wont stop them from demanding it, even if they are in the wrong.

I recently sold my Ipod Touch on Amazon and the buyer leaves me negative feedback (2 out of 5 stars) because I didn't include an ac adapter. Not only did I clearly list what was included with the Ipod (of which, an ac adapter was not listed), but, even if they had bought it brand new it would not come with one. But that doesn't stop the buyer from willfully being lazy and ignorant to expect something that it doesn't come with.

[quote name='GBAstar']I listed the contents straight from the THQ listing but made it clear that because the game is over a year old the DLC content may very well be expired.

I wouldn't even mind offering a partial refund but I don't want to encourage this type of behavior and I also feel like if I do then he'll feel like he's justified in calling me a cheat.[/QUOTE]

I think it would be wise to just straight up say "DLC content not included", when you're not sure if the dlc is valid or not. Because if it does happen to still work, then that will be an unexpected bonus for the buyer. But if it doesn't work, then they wont have any legitimate complaint in a dispute.

[quote name='mitemouse']i sold some dlc on ebay in november and in january the buyer did a chargeback.. i sent paypal information about the auction free # and i lost the dispute. well this morning i check my account and the cost of the dlc was put back into my account. i called paypal to see what it was and they first told me it was a courtesy for being such a great paypal user.. then i asked how was this decided and she told me to hang on and came back and told me i won the dispute after the buyer didnt give his credit card company any evidence to dispute the charge.. i then asked what the $20 chargeback fee was and she immediately waived it as a courtesy..

so i guess this an ebay rave![/QUOTE]

You know, for all the shit that's said about Ebay, from my experience they're actually very fair and helpful whenever a problem has popped up, whether as a buyer or as a seller. Amazon on the other hand, are pro buyer to a ridiculous level. So much so that the one and only dispute (as a buyer and seller) I had to deal with them ended with Amazon outright stealing from me. I don't really want to go into it because it's bit of a long story, but suffice it to say I'm more in favor of selling on Ebay.

The content might not even be expired, but rather, he's trying to redeem a North American code on a South American PSN ID, which usually doesn't work since PSN store stuff is region locked.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']post this fucker's id.[/QUOTE]

I posted his username in the fraud thread when it originally happened but here it is again.

User ID: hoodedjoe
Email: [email protected]

and yes the item he was disputing was Halo 4 DLC, and of course he wouldnt buy that with his email name.

[quote name='waldo21212']The content might not even be expired, but rather, he's trying to redeem a North American code on a South American PSN ID, which usually doesn't work since PSN store stuff is region locked.[/QUOTE]

I've had Brazilians buy my DLC's before and I've confirmed with them before sending the code that they have a U.S. account beforehand. But you're right good catch.

That reminds me ... are there any ideas as to how I can get back at a scammer that stole my DLC code on eBay? I have the guy's home address from Paypal. Anything I can do without getting any blowback?

[quote name='Donut2922']That reminds me ... are there any ideas as to how I can get back at a scammer that stole my DLC code on eBay? I have the guy's home address from Paypal. Anything I can do without getting any blowback?[/QUOTE]

return his favor if they are a seller.. snad

[quote name='Donut2922']That reminds me ... are there any ideas as to how I can get back at a scammer that stole my DLC code on eBay? I have the guy's home address from Paypal. Anything I can do without getting any blowback?[/QUOTE]

wasn't there a CAG here that had a buyer say some msp or xbl code was used? he contacted other sellers this buyer bought from and sure enough they were all hit up for a second code. the CAG eventually got the guy suspended from ebay and I think called up Microsoft and they banned whatever gamertag account used the code he gave.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']wasn't there a CAG here that had a buyer say some msp or xbl code was used? he contacted other sellers this buyer bought from and sure enough they were all hit up for a second code. the CAG eventually got the guy suspended from ebay and I think called up Microsoft and they banned whatever gamertag account used the code he gave.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remember reading about that. I think the story went that the guy ended up having an Xbox that was modded so that was the main reason why he got banned by MS moreso than the code scamming. My buyer didn't have any history of related items or even much of a history in the first place so I don't have much recourse through eBay. It still bothers me to this day that the guy got away with it and didn't even both responding to all of my emails even though I tried to reason him out of the case. I assume his Paypal address is legit so I just want to get even in some discreet way. I was thinking of signing up some random porn stuff but I think that's more of an email thing. So I still need some ideas for his physical address.

[quote name='Donut2922']Yeah I remember reading about that. I think the story went that the guy ended up having an Xbox that was modded so that was the main reason why he got banned by MS moreso than the code scamming. My buyer didn't have any history of related items or even much of a history in the first place so I don't have much recourse through eBay. It still bothers me to this day that the guy got away with it and didn't even both responding to all of my emails even though I tried to reason him out of the case. I assume his Paypal address is legit so I just want to get even in some discreet way. I was thinking of signing up some random porn stuff but I think that's more of an email thing. So I still need some ideas for his physical address.[/QUOTE]

Put an ad on his local craig's list for a yard sale using his home address.

How effective do you other sellers find the BIN OBO option to be? Do you price the initial BIN higher so you're still getting a good price if you accept a certain range of offers? Do you find that buyers are willing to make offers? Or do you find that buyers just pass when they see a higher price instead of attempting a best offer?

I have a buyer who purchased 3 Xbox 360 games from me an claims not only that they don't work but that the 10 he purchased from other places before don't work. I told him it sounds likely his 360 has a bad DVD drive to which he responded that he's had it 6 years and Microsoft built these systems "like a ROCK"

Has to be a joke right?

[quote name='ferant316']I have a buyer who purchased 3 Xbox 360 games from me an claims not only that they don't work but that the 10 he purchased from other places before don't work. I told him it sounds likely his 360 has a bad DVD drive to which he responded that he's had it 6 years and Microsoft built these systems "like a ROCK"

Has to be a joke right?[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I was searching for a cheap Roku, and came across this...I didn't really know where to ask, and this seems like the most logical place.

This has to be some sort of scam right?

"Trade in your 2nd GEN Apple TV for a NEW 3rd GEN Apple TV or NEW Roku 3."
Ebay Item# 261200540619
(It won't let me post links because I'm a new user)

And if this isn't a scam, what's the catch?

[quote name='jatink129']I was searching for a cheap Roku, and came across this...I didn't really know where to ask, and this seems like the most logical place.

This has to be some sort of scam right?

"Trade in your 2nd GEN Apple TV for a NEW 3rd GEN Apple TV or NEW Roku 3."
Ebay Item# 261200540619
(It won't let me post links because I'm a new user)

And if this isn't a scam, what's the catch?[/QUOTE]

The gen 2 is worth a lot more than the gen 3 because the gen 3 cannot be jail broken.

[quote name='yourlefthand']The gen 2 is worth a lot more than the gen 3 because the gen 3 cannot be jail broken.[/QUOTE]

Aaah...I didn't know that.
Thanks!

So how does this Global Shipping Program work? Is it worth it?

I just sold an item (valued under $10) and it asks me to pay $2.50 to get it to the global shipping center in Kentucky, but it claims "These options only cover delivery to the shipping center." Do they hold the funds for international shipping for themselves, so I only pay the local shipping fees?

If so, that's fucked up. Convenient, but it sounds like another hand reaching into the ol' pocket.

I can't seem to find a clear answer on the eBay website, which usually means bait-and-switch is in full effect.

[quote name='HydroX']So how does this Global Shipping Program work? Is it worth it?

I just sold an item (valued under $10) and it asks me to pay $2.50 to get it to the global shipping center in Kentucky, but it claims "These options only cover delivery to the shipping center." Do they hold the funds for international shipping for themselves, so I only pay the local shipping fees?

If so, that's fucked up. Convenient, but it sounds like another hand reaching into the ol' pocket.

I can't seem to find a clear answer on the eBay website, which usually means bait-and-switch is in full effect.[/QUOTE]

I believe you pay to ship it to the distribution center, and then the buyer is paying whatever eBay says the international shipping fee is plus any other import costs. You don't pay for any international shipping or see any money involving the international shipping costs.

Wow, I am on a streak of bad luck lately

I just bought a skylanders 3DS game that was described as new and never played, the game came with 2 save files already on it.

Bought another game from someone, and the game just flat out never arrived. I got a refund for this one from ebay.

I shipped 2 GBA games that were packed well in a sturdy box, apparently they got opened by customs on the canadian side and got torn when they were repacked, I would never send out someone's games in bad packaging, so I know this was not my fault.

Hopefully paypal does not ban me for opening too many cases at the same time, I have legitimate issues here. I am really sick of people listing games in new condition and then sending a used product, so I am not letting this seller get away with it.

OK, I have this guy who bought a Blu-ray from me and is insisting I send it to a different address as he hasn't updated his PayPal with the correct address. The PayPal address is in North Carolina, and the address he wants me to send it to is in California. I told him Sunday afternoon I will only ship to whatever address Paypal has, and he didn't reply until a few minutes ago, a few hours after I printed a shipping label.

Is it really that hard to update a PayPal address?

I should mention he only has 4 feedback, only one since the new year.

Ship it to the confirmed PayPal address. Its up to him to make sure his address is updated, and eBay should back you should anything come of it.

Had this happen with a cell phone I sold for my friend. Buyer wanted me to ship it to California, but the PayPal confirmed address was in Arizona. I shipped it to Arizona, and it was up to him to track down the package since he didn't update his information prior to purchasing. He eventually got it, and "wondered how I got the other address".

I messaged him that I would hold the package until he updates his PayPal address. That is far more leinency than most people, especially since he took almost a week to pay and will likely give me negative feedback.

[quote name='DNukem170']I messaged him that I would hold the package until he updates his PayPal address. That is far more leinency than most people, especially since he took almost a week to pay and will likely give me negative feedback.[/QUOTE]

Why not just cancel and refund?

Looks like I finally had something go wrong with selling stuff on eBay.

According to my buyer, the envelope I packed his game in was received ripped open in a USPS bag, marked "received without contents." He opened a claim today and escalated it immediately.

1. Without insurance, I'm totally screwed, aren't I? The item only sold for $19 shipped, so it's not that big of an issue, but if I'm not going to win, should I just refund him already?

2. He's refusing to send pictures. Is there some reason why he wouldn't want to do that?

3. I've opened up a case with USPS. Is there anything more I can do at this point?

bread's done
Back