The General eBay Rant Thread

Oh really? Weird. I figured people would look less favorably on sellers that had multiples of one item.
I'd look favorably on someone who has multiple copies of an item AND has some multiple copies. It shows that they have a good price, and that the buyers are satisfied.

Obviously I check feedback too.

People really don't know how to describe the condition of a disc and its extremely sad. Maybe they don't care. Either way I do mine different than most people if there's even something insanely insanely insanely minor most would list it as like new while I list it as very good.

I got a negative feedback recently for a extremely impatient buyer which I still haven't got removed.

I shipped it fast as usual and he got it within 4 days, but for whatever reason he left a negative saying it didn't arrive on time. Yet, ebay doesn't seem to give a shit or help me about.

The guy had 0 feedback's.
No idea why the multi-quote didn't work...Any way...I'm pretty sure you can get it removed. I had one removed for a (kinda') similar reason. The buyer gave me a negative for excessive shipping, because I charged him $15 and it cost me $13 to ship.

eBay sided with me.

If I am purchasing an item, then I am by default agreeing to the price and the shipping cost listed on the listing. Don't like the price, don't buy it.

Do let us know how it goes. Good Luck.

P.S- The fact that he has zero feedback should play in your favor.

I do the same thing. I don't need such detailed information, but I usually want to find out if there are any scratches, case broken, complete or not, price stickers, etc. since I've had issues in the past with things like that. And yes, I am the type to want a used copy in new copy condition. But that's because, more or less, there are no new copies out there.
But that's the thing. I had already posted a detailed description, as well as pictures that showed the condition, It's not like it was a stock photo with a description only consisting of "Plays great".

So I bought an imported poster from China a few weeks ago and today I check the tracking to see if it ever got updated since I know stuff like that takes a bit. Here's what I see:

Arrival at Unit

Jun-11-13, 07:59 AM

Delivered

Jun-11-13, 13:47 PM

Here's the issue, the unit or the post office it was delivered to was not my post office my mail usually goes through before getting delivered to. Different zipcode; it's local, sometimes my mail does come though there yeah but it still gets to me in the end. Anyway, as you can see it was later updated to Delivered status later in the day but the thing is it's the same zipcode came up where it arrived, which I don't live in.

So what the hell, did they deliver it to someone else or what happened here? Today is the 12th and the mail just came in and no poster so I'm starting to believe the USPS messed up big time or something is wrong.

Just to chime in on the NBA 2K13 issue, I sold one over the holidays (new and sealed) and got it returned for the same issue (freezes 360).  Tried it on mine when it got back to me and it was the same issue for me so not sure what it is/was. 

I hate anal buyers too, they tend to be difficult or flake out.  I had one recently ask me about a new/sealed wrestling DVD asking if it had black and white security stickers, etc. etc.  Answered all the stupid questions then they wanted pictures.  I don't usually do pictures but was already sending some to one of my regulars (collector/nice guy and buys a lot) so I said why not.  Took pictures, sent them, person never responded or ordered the item.  They tend to be a waste of time, but I sell mostly on Amazon so I can't block them or refuse to sell to them if they order. 

So what the hell, did they deliver it to someone else or what happened here? Today is the 12th and the mail just came in and no poster so I'm starting to believe the USPS messed up big time or something is wrong.
I receive many packages, so much so that I often get ones for the house up the street.

Is there a similarily named street in the post office that it went through? That happened to me once, I did end up getting my package but I don't know what the end result would be for you. There is a sreet with the same name 2 cities over with a different number sequence, the funny part about that one was somebody marked it delivered but I ended up getting it a few days later.

I block someone when they ask a question like that. I feel like they are trouble if right away they are asking if something is wrong with the item. Last year I was selling a new game and someone asked if there was anything wrong with the game and what my return policy is if the game is defective. That was someone I didn't want to deal with since I thought they might be a scammer.
I'm an "extensive decision" consumer so I am extremely thorough. I'm one of those people who asks detailed questions before bidding to ensure the seller didn't make a mistake while listing and was thorough. Also it's to make sure I am not mislead. Often I never receive replies, I guess I either get blocked or have dodgy sellers :p.

I had a couple of issues with e-Bay over the years but luckily, sometimes through great persistence, I've not lost any money. I've had someone sell me an unbranded PS2 controller as brand new sony dualshock in the listing. Then they replace by shipping a used one. Then they finally send the right one, only after 3 weeks and negative feedback (that was mutually removed).

I've had someone ship me a miniature F1 car in a plastic bag in a box. The car arrived trashed. The seller asked me to just not leave negative feedback and refunded me all the money. Often I don't understand people... I just recently sold an item, a Logitech G25 for the buy it now price (apparently it was cheap), I listed 2 business days for handling time but e-bay counted the evening of the purchase as one, so I had to rush to send it out yesterday. I added insurance and required signature, there's no way I am letting myself get scammed. The guy had only 1 feedback but I've had experiences with those people before, sometimes it's just people making their first or first few purchases.

I actually have complaints about Amazon. I quit being a seller there due to some buyers trying to abuse their rights to get the stuff for free. I am always extremely descriptive on the conditions but on 5 cases I had people try to scam me. I had prices severely discounted - I'm talking up to 75% less than next lowest - and people still went through and then claimed they "couldn't have known" and didn't read the conditions. On 2 cases I reached a resolution, one buyer was genuinely mistaken and the other settled for a refund but refunding my shipping expenses. The rest Amazon sided with them and I just refused to be scammed out of over $80 dollars total, with refund + losing the items. So I closed my account there and sucked up not being able to sell there since.

Last edited:
I block someone when they ask a question like that. I feel like they are trouble if right away they are asking if something is wrong with the item. Last year I was selling a new game and someone asked if there was anything wrong with the game and what my return policy is if the game is defective. That was someone I didn't want to deal with since I thought they might be a scammer.
I'm an "extensive decision" consumer so I am extremely thorough. I'm one of those people who asks detailed questions before bidding to ensure the seller didn't make a mistake while listing and was thorough. Also it's to make sure I am not mislead. Often I never receive replies, I guess I either get blocked or have dodgy sellers :p.
With so many good people on ebay buying stuff and not seeking perfection, I'd block you too.

With so many good people on ebay buying stuff and not seeking perfection, I'd block you too.
It's not perfection, is having the necessary information provided. What would an honest person have to hide?

Last edited:
It's not perfection, is having the necessary information provided. What would an honest person have to hide?

It's not about honesty, it's about being an over demanding selfish person. The profit margins on most of these things aren't huge and most people don't have the time to sit there and list every tiny imperfection on everything. That's why things are graded (like new, very good, etc). Someone as anal as that to ask a million questions beforehand would likely try to cause a big stir if there's one scratch too many or something ridiculous like that so it's just not worth the trouble. There's plenty of people willing to buy things without causing problems, so I can see why people who seem like trouble from the start would be blocked.

It's not about honesty, it's about being an over demanding selfish person. The profit margins on most of these things aren't huge and most people don't have the time to sit there and list every tiny imperfection on everything. That's why things are graded (like new, very good, etc). Someone as anal as that to ask a million questions beforehand would likely try to cause a big stir if there's one scratch too many or something ridiculous like that so it's just not worth the trouble. There's plenty of people willing to buy things without causing problems, so I can see why people who seem like trouble from the start would be blocked.
That is exactly why I've hardly listed anything as Like New, and most of the time go for just Good (even though many would consider it better condition). I always take pictures and describe any basic flaws, but someone who is buying Good or Acceptable probably won't be as concerned about its condition.

If most people read eBay's description for Like New, hardly anything would truly qualify for it (emphasis on flawless), not including their disclaimer to see seller's description (which defeats the condition listing purpose IMO).

Just to vent I had a buyer who purchased a game on Saturday night (a $3 game at that) They sent a message TWO minutes after purchase asking why it hadn't shipped yet followed by another 6 that night. Another 11 followed on Sunday and then it was shipped first thing Monday morning. They then started sending messages saying I lief and it hadn't shipped yet (because USPS takes awhile for tracking to load) and that they were going to file a Paypal case and a police report for fraud. Then they did an eBay personnal information request and ended up calling 15 times between midnight and 5 am.

I ended up calling eBay Trust and Safety to report them for harrassment, but according to them they can't do anything regarding harrassment unless the police are involved so they advised I file a police report for harrassment and have my phone company block his number both of which I did. After that he continued to message through eBay messages so I sent them a copy of the police report and yet they still refuse to block him from sending messages. He has now sent 67 messages since his purchase, and who knows how many more I still have to look forward to.

Just to vent I had a buyer who purchased a game on Saturday night (a $3 game at that) They sent a message TWO minutes after purchase asking why it hadn't shipped yet followed by another 6 that night. Another 11 followed on Sunday and then it was shipped first thing Monday morning. They then started sending messages saying I lief and it hadn't shipped yet (because USPS takes awhile for tracking to load) and that they were going to file a Paypal case and a police report for fraud. Then they did an eBay personnal information request and ended up calling 15 times between midnight and 5 am.

I ended up calling eBay Trust and Safety to report them for harrassment, but according to them they can't do anything regarding harrassment unless the police are involved so they advised I file a police report for harrassment and have my phone company block his number both of which I did. After that he continued to message through eBay messages so I sent them a copy of the police report and yet they still refuse to block him from sending messages. He has now sent 67 messages since his purchase, and who knows how many more I still have to look forward to.
Why didn't you just cancel the transaction and refund the buyer? Why ship it at all? You're just going to get negative feedback and probably lose whatever bullshit dispute this guy opens. I know there are crazies everywhere but something doesn't add up here.

Why didn't you just cancel the transaction and refund the buyer? Why ship it at all? You're just going to get negative feedback and probably lose whatever bullshit dispute this guy opens. I know there are crazies everywhere but something doesn't add up here.
Well they had already left positive feedback and I figured shipping it would shut them up better than cancelling would.

Sorry Ferant, that is rough.

I had a buyer recently tell me a game I shipped didn't play and he had to use windex to get it to work. (Wrong, I test all games before I list). So then he tells me its only playing the ending credits asking what is wrong. Its a 3 disc game, so I reply stating to make sure he's using disc 1 and he doesn't have an old memory card save.

I haven't heard anything back for 3 days. I offered a refund right off the bat just to try to avoid negative feedback. Should I just let sleeping dogs be or should I ask him if its okay? I don't want to get a neg or charge back in 30 days out of nowhere.

Profit margins? You're dealing with buyers. They don't care what your profit margin is. They are shopping on eBay so that they can make out like a bandit on stuff. At least that's what I do there. It doesn't matter to me if they don't make as much as they want or even lose money out of the deal. That's how eBay works. Buyers want great merchandise for 80% less than they would pay in store. Sellers want to make money. There won't be much of a balance.
What are you 10 yrs old? What seller would continue selling if they are losing money. Incase you haven't figured it out at this point in your life.....time is money.

Sorry Ferant, that is rough.

I had a buyer recently tell me a game I shipped didn't play and he had to use windex to get it to work. (Wrong, I test all games before I list). So then he tells me its only playing the ending credits asking what is wrong. Its a 3 disc game, so I reply stating to make sure he's using disc 1 and he doesn't have an old memory card save.

I haven't heard anything back for 3 days. I offered a refund right off the bat just to try to avoid negative feedback. Should I just let sleeping dogs be or should I ask him if its okay? I don't want to get a neg or charge back in 30 days out of nowhere.
Leave it alone dude.

Yup, leave it alone and just monitor your PayPal and bank. And always keep your messages.

Well they had already left positive feedback and I figured shipping it would shut them up better than cancelling would.
The buyer left a positive feedback prior to receiving the item? You're walking right into some kind of scam or something.

The buyer left a positive feedback prior to receiving the item? You're walking right into some kind of scam or something.

Yeah, that would have made it even fishier to me. I would have just canceled the order.

Time for a rave instead of a rant, I recently won an auction this past weekend which I wasn't really sure what I was going to get.  Picture showed SSBM, though the description and listing category was for LOTR: Return of the King for GC.  Figure I'd go ahead and bid on it either way and take the (minimal) risk, not knowing what I was going to see in my mail box.

Well it just arrived yesterday, so not only did it ship out fast, but it ended up being SSBM as pictured (even better condition copy than the one I've had for years).  No excuses or issues from the seller, something I was not expecting.

Anybody know what's up with eBay recently? Almost everything now is being sold as a BiN. Less than 10% of every item is auction.

Time for a rave instead of a rant, I recently won an auction this past weekend which I wasn't really sure what I was going to get. Picture showed SSBM, though the description and listing category was for LOTR: Return of the King for GC. Figure I'd go ahead and bid on it either way and take the (minimal) risk, not knowing what I was going to see in my mail box.

Well it just arrived yesterday, so not only did it ship out fast, but it ended up being SSBM as pictured (even better condition copy than the one I've had for years). No excuses or issues from the seller, something I was not expecting.
Damn, that's a crazy deal. Nice haul.
I do mainly BiN because I've had too many issues of non paying buyers when I do auctions lately. So forget them, I'll just suck it up as far as fees are concerned.

Anybody know what's up with eBay recently? Almost everything now is being sold as a BiN. Less than 10% of every item is auction.
Because starting in May ebay changed the final value fee structure. The FVF on auction listing is the same as BIN - 10% of the selling price (for non-stores).

Unless a seller is hoping for a bidding war on an item, there's just more incentive to list as BIN.

*can require immediate payment

*no waiting for an auction to end (and possibly not sell)

*more likely to sell the item faster if the pricing is correct

It's not only that the FVF structure has changed, it's that there is no listing fee for using BINs. Before it was like $0.50 a listing for the regular joe, and you had to pay it again on re-list. That was killer to me so I didn't use it.

I've gone from all auction to all BIN. For a while I was doing BIN OBO but I've moved away from that for all except my high priced "rare" items. It's not worth the lowballing and other stuff, even if you can auto-decline certain offers. But with BIN I know what I need to break even. I know what I'd like to make in net profit. It's pretty easy for me to list my items anywhere in between those two prices with a BIN and find buyers. People weren't usually receptive to that exact same listing practice with an auction.

The one thing I find is I have a lot more people watching my items, and I think the BINs lead people to just add the items to their watch list, but then they hold out to try and score cheaper on an auction or hold out hoping you'll put a discount on it, which I think only Stores can do.

The one thing I find is I have a lot more people watching my items, and I think the BINs lead people to just add the items to their watch list, but then they hold out to try and score cheaper on an auction or hold out hoping you'll put a discount on it, which I think only Stores can do.
I've been doing all BIN for some time now, listing them for 30 days at my highest, reasonable price. I gauge the interest by views / watches, and I'll drop the price once a week if I'm not getting enough attention. Kind of my pseudo sale, that hopefully the watchers take note (which they have on a few of my listings).

I've been doing all BIN for some time now, listing them for 30 days at my highest, reasonable price. I gauge the interest by views / watches, and I'll drop the price once a week if I'm not getting enough attention. Kind of my pseudo sale, that hopefully the watchers take note (which they have on a few of my listings).
Yeah I'll drop my prices too if I think it will move things a bit faster. I hesitate to do that too much though because I don't want to create a situation where the watchers and other interested buyers continue to hold out hoping I'll continually drop the price if they continue to play the waiting game. Because I know at a certain point my price will be more than fair (if not the cheapest on eBay), it's just a matter of getting someone who recognizes that and truly wants to Buy It Now. The one nice thing about having to "revise" the item to drop the price though is that it re-triggers the item to be included in the daily email for people who have saved searches, so you can get their attention again.

Because starting in May ebay changed the final value fee structure. The FVF on auction listing is the same as BIN - 10% of the selling price (for non-stores).

Unless a seller is hoping for a bidding war on an item, there's just more incentive to list as BIN.

I think that if this keeps up it will kill ebay. Why would anyone ever put up an auction when they can price just what want? I just hate seeing everything listed as BIN and the prices are close to retail so why go through the hassle when I can just go pick it up at my local store?

I think that if this keeps up it will kill ebay. Why would anyone ever put up an auction when they can price just what want? I just hate seeing everything listed as BIN and the prices are close to retail so why go through the hassle when I can just go pick it up at my local store?
It would kill eBay if sellers don't learn their lesson. Eventually they will have to get more competitive with their pricing or continue to sit on their stock.

Unless it's a current gen game 9 times out of 10 you won't find it locally. By me all I have are gamestops, last retro store closed down a couple of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be honest. I don't pay high prices for my stuff on eBay. I try to lowball everything. I almost never pay anywhere close to what something is worth. I can't buy much anymore on eBay because everyone and their grandmother is now a fabulous entrepreneur who wants $30 for their copy of Xenogears. I don't think so.
Forgive them for not selling everything for $0.99 shipped. They don't know any better.

Usually whenever I post up an auction the initial listing is whatever I originally paid for it unless I got it super-cheap. Any movie with more than 1 disc will rarely be priced below $9.99 for me.

Had my first open case today from a buyer.  The item ended on the 2nd and the buyer received it on the 7th.  He opened up a case today stating that there is a hole  in the jewel case behind the cover art.  Told him just to return it for a refund.....unbelievable he had it for 2 1/2 weeks and then opens up the case.  How long does he have to return it?

I bought 2 copies of Fable for $7 total the other day. The guy contacts me today saying he only had one copy which he already shipped and eBay is messed up and keeps selling more. The dumbass has over 10 copies listed (minimum) and he can't figure out how to refund. Shitty thing is I can't open a case till July 17th. Looks like CS will be getting a call very soon.

What's his feedback score? If he's new, then maybe he's just taking your money, although I can't think of why someone would perpetrate a $3.50/game fraud.

Give him a minute. Or tell him if it's not refunded by the end of this week, then you plan on opening an item not received case (even if you can't do it until the 17th).  It may be an honest mistake, so don't condemn him too fast.

What's his feedback score? If he's new, then maybe he's just taking your money, although I can't think of why someone would perpetrate a $3.50/game fraud.

Give him a minute. Or tell him if it's not refunded by the end of this week, then you plan on opening an item not received case (even if you can't do it until the 17th). It may be an honest mistake, so don't condemn him too fast.
He's got 5 feedback and said he was relatively new to selling, but then why wouldn't he respond after I sent him a nice message explaining the refund process? You would think it would be somewhat of a priority, especially since the item is still for sale and people are still buying it. It's just weird. :/

I'm tired of sellers using USPS Priority Mail bags and boxes to put into non-Priority Mail packaging as extra support. That stuff isn't free to use on just anything. And I've found it's obviously not a re-used piece of packing. The USPS is far from perfect but they provide extremely cheap rates compared to other private carriers. People need to stop taking a shit on them by misusing the packaging.

do they still provide tape when you use priority mail? i used priority mail recently and had to use my own tape and if i wanted priority tape to order online. i cant find the tape online, i think they only have it for express mail but not for priority.

I'm tired of sellers using USPS Priority Mail bags and boxes to put into non-Priority Mail packaging as extra support. That stuff isn't free to use on just anything. And I've found it's obviously not a re-used piece of packing. The USPS is far from perfect but they provide extremely cheap rates compared to other private carriers. People need to stop taking a shit on them by misusing the packaging.

I ordered something from pickyourshoes.com this week and it arrived via UPS in USPS priority mail packaging. I thought that was pretty scummy.

do they still provide tape when you use priority mail? i used priority mail recently and had to use my own tape and if i wanted priority tape to order online. i cant find the tape online, i think they only have it for express mail but not for priority.
Only for Priority and Express. Not for First Class.

I ordered something from pickyourshoes.com this week and it arrived via UPS in USPS priority mail packaging. I thought that was pretty scummy.
This happens all the time with all the carriers, I cant count how many times I've delivered something at work in FedEx packagins or USPS Express boxes. I know with UPS they aren't supposed to do that and if they get caught there account will get suspended.

Well, my Logitech G25 wheel that was sold to a new e-bayer was a successful transaction. So far I've been lucky to not have had issues with buyers, only sellers. The guy's feedback has built up to 6 so far, if only he'd have left me some feedback too.

Now I'm testing the waters on a Gamecube bundle sale, unfortunately I can't do Buy It Now only. I upgraded my PayPal but still must set a minimum price, so I had to set it a bit high otherwise it would be a massive steal  :whistle2:( .

Last edited:
Pretty sure they quit offering the Priority tape a couple years back. I used to order it from their online store too, but haven't seen it in some time.

I accidentally shipped out a comic to the wrong person. This was a month ago.
I also marked as shipped to the right person.
I received the comic back from the wrong person today (I had to pay half shipping, no biggie.)
It's been almsot a month since the auction ended and the person hasn't opened a case NOR left negative feedback.
:
Should I feel lucky?

Pretty sure they quit offering the Priority tape a couple years back. I used to order it from their online store too, but haven't seen it in some time.
Have you tried asking your PO?

They always give me priority and express mail tape+stickers whenever I need it.

But then again, I'm there almost every other day, and they know me by now, so that could be a reason.

Still...Doesn't hurt to try.

I accidentally shipped out a comic to the wrong person. This was a month ago.
I also marked as shipped to the right person.
I received the comic back from the wrong person today (I had to pay half shipping, no biggie.)
It's been almsot a month since the auction ended and the person hasn't opened a case NOR left negative feedback.
:
Should I feel lucky?

So, a month later, the right person hasn't received the comic, yet?

Woah!

You're very lucky. But ship it out ASAP.

Most likely the buyer forgot about it. (Happened to me.)

Include a note, saying that you messed up and you're sorry.

If it didn't cost too much, maybe you could offer them a partial or full refund.

Have you tried asking your PO?

They always give me priority and express mail tape+stickers whenever I need it.

But then again, I'm there almost every other day, and they know me by now, so that could be a reason.

Still...Doesn't hurt to try.

So, a month later, the right person hasn't received the comic, yet?

Woah!

You're very lucky. But ship it out ASAP.

Most likely the buyer forgot about it. (Happened to me.)

Include a note, saying that you messed up and you're sorry.

If it didn't cost too much, maybe you could offer them a partial or full refund.
Yeah, I think this is the case. About 5ish years ago, I joined eBay and didn't know what I was doing (I was younger, stupider) and someone bought a McDonalds toy from me for 5 bucks and I forgot and never shipped it. The auction just went away and the person wasn't able to leave negative if they wanted, I suppose

Yeah, I think this is the case. About 5ish years ago, I joined eBay and didn't know what I was doing (I was younger, stupider) and someone bought a McDonalds toy from me for 5 bucks and I forgot and never shipped it. The auction just went away and the person wasn't able to leave negative if they wanted, I suppose
I've never forgotten to ship something.

But as a buyer there have been times when I've completely forgotten about a purchase I've made.

And then begin weeding through my emails trying to remember what website I purchased it on. :headache:

I received my first neutral feedback this weekend.

I sold a rare book that had some damage. Damage was fully described, including multiple pictures. I had a high but reasonable price for the item. I was the cheapest listing on eBay. It was a BIN OBO. I accepted a best offer $20 under my asking price from someone with 12 feedback. I wrapped the book well, secured it in between cardboard, mailed it out the same day I received payment, and since they buyer was relatively local, it arrived the very next day. I get neutral feedback saying everything is as described, shipping was prompt, and a thank you.

Like what the fuck? It doesn't even make an ounce of sense. And this person left positives for other sellers. So now I'm going to have that neutral sitting on my account for a year.

bread's done
Back