The General eBay Rant Thread

So I've got a question for you guys.

I decided to unload a bunch of my stuff on ebay.  One of the things I listed is my Premier Edition of Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3.  I had a buyer contact me and tell me that he was only interested int he Warhammer code that came with the game (which I didn't use) and would prefer that I keep the physical items.  I gave him the disclaimer that the code expired in 2009, but he said he was willing to risk bidding on it.  I told him if he won I'd refund the shipping price and send him the code.

I guess my question is: Do you think I'll have any issues if he wins, the code doesn't work and I don't actually send him any of the physical goods?

So I've got a question for you guys.

I decided to unload a bunch of my stuff on ebay. One of the things I listed is my Premier Edition of Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3. I had a buyer contact me and tell me that he was only interested int he Warhammer code that came with the game (which I didn't use) and would prefer that I keep the physical items. I gave him the disclaimer that the code expired in 2009, but he said he was willing to risk bidding on it. I told him if he won I'd refund the shipping price and send him the code.

I guess my question is: Do you think I'll have any issues if he wins, the code doesn't work and I don't actually send him any of the physical goods?
I don't know, it might go well or he just might try to screw you. I don't believe selling codes digitally is permitted (I think you can mail the paper), so there's that working against you. Even with the disclaimers the code might not work, he might find a way to prevail in an eBay dispute. It seems strange he's willing to pay full price for the code and forgo the whole physical game. You might have been better off pulling your listing, negotiating a price and putting up a separate BIN for the code just for him, then selling the physical stuff in a separate auction.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much is the code worth? If it's $20 or more I would tell him that you have to physically ship it but that you'd be willing to send a scan of it through eBay messaging once you create a label.

By doing this he would look stupid if he opened a SNAD case for "It' doesn't work... durrrr" while the item is still in transit and because you create a shipping label (presumably from eBay) prior to sending him the code he'd at least have to wait until he received the package to say it didn't work.

And because you shipped it (with delivery confirmation/tracking) he would NOT be able to file a Item Not Received (INR) dipsute (assuming it is delivered) and you would win an unauthorized use chargeback assuming you ship it to the address on the PayPal invoice.

But the gorilla in the room is and always is fraudulent SNAD complaints. Nothing will ever protect you against that but if you do things right you'd at least make him have to work for it and to successfully win one he'd have to mail you something back. A lot of low rent scammers don't want to be bothered with having to mail something back and potentially commit mail fraud.

Well, he's bid $15 for just the code.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  I'll probably physically mail him the codes if he wins just so I have a record showing that I sent him something.  I'll give him the codes beforehand, though.

Well, he's bid $15 for just the code.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll probably physically mail him the codes if he wins just so I have a record showing that I sent him something. I'll give him the codes beforehand, though.
That's exactly what I would do too, but as stated above, just make sure you have tracking included, otherwise it would be pointless. The cheapest first class with tracking would be around $1.50 or so.

Seems like a bit much just to send a piece of paper, but does anyone else use a cheaper method with tracking for sending very light (3 oz or less) packages?

That's exactly what I would do too, but as stated above, just make sure you have tracking included, otherwise it would be pointless. The cheapest first class with tracking would be around $1.50 or so.

Seems like a bit much just to send a piece of paper, but does anyone else use a cheaper method with tracking for sending very light (3 oz or less) packages?
I don't know of one. I remember reading about certain post offices doing test runs of a tracking slip that could be put on standard first class mail (non packages = envelops, flats, etc.) for like an additional $.29 or so which would be the way to go in this situation but I don't think that program has launched yet (if it ever will).

Now.. I have a quick story.

I sold an AC Liberation Vita bundle to a buyer about 10 days ago. I bought it from Best Buy at $199.99 after the price drop and used a combination of RZ certs and Gift Cards that I wanted to burn. I put it up at ~ $280.xx on eBay and it sold very quickly.

I packed it very well, insured it and shipped it to the buyer the next day and two days later he received it.

Now two or three days after he received it the buyer contacted me and stated that the screen wasn't working properly. Because I feared a scam I let him know that I was aware I sent him unit S/N xxxxxxxx and that if he were to open a case or return this unit I would need to receive unit S/N xxxxxxxxx back.

I do offer the suggested 14 day returns on all my listings but I almost exclusively only ever sell brand/new sealed units and I put a caveat in the listing that if the item is new it must be returned new---meaning I don't accept returns on opened items.

Well I wasn't going to stand my ground with this because all the buyer had to do was open a SNAD case and I'd be accepting the return whether I liked it or not so I told him that if the screen wasn't working the unit was under warranty and I'd help pass along the original receipt so he could send it back to Sony. I also explained to him that Sony used OLED screens that typically show "bleeding" when the screen is completely black and that this is normal and not a defect per se. He was adamant that it was a problem with a dead pixel and that he wanted to return it.

At this point I just said fine, return it, and as long as I get Unit S/N xxxxxxx back I'll issue you a refund. Today I received the unit back and it is the same unit. He didn't switch it out and it doesn't appear like he tampered with it in any way. I turned it on and played with it a little and the screen is absolutely perfect. In fact it looks better then both my 3G Launch vita and the AC vita I bought for my girlfriend.

It doesn't really make any sense for me to send it back as the buyer can still open a case later on but I'm a little pissed because at this point I'm stuck with something that is worth considerably less because it's been open/used--even if just for a short period of time. If I had to guess I'd say that he didn't realize these were now $199.99 and he found one locally. He did play it as it has his PSN ID on it as well as the AC game installed.

Anyways I guess I'll just refund him. I'm not paying his return shipping costs though. What would you guys do with the vita now if you were in my shoes? There is nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell so I'm not going to send it to Sony (no screen problems to fix) and I'd feel dirty trying to make up something so I could return it to Best Buy (my local BB is very good to me).

I guess that just leaves reselling it in a lesser condition for a less amount of money?

P.S. I know he isn't trying to really scam me because he didn't send it back with signature confirmation which would be required because it was valued at over $250. Just buyer's remorse I guess.

Wow that is so annoying.  Buyer's remorse seems like the case.  In the end, I think it's just going to come down to the cost of doing business.  I'm pretty sure Best Buy's return policy includes opened consoles so I'm sure you're fine within your Silver return policy.  I would opt for that route.  Does it suck to do that to Best Buy? Sure.  But you aren't scamming them since it's an obvious open item return they'll take in.  I would just do it at a Best Buy that you do not frequent.  I would send a stern email to the buyer about your observation with the screen and just remind him how he screwed you in a guilt trip sort of way.  Behavior like that shouldn't go unnoticed.  In the off chance eBay would help you out, could you possibly raise this issue with eBay customer service to see what their advice/recourse would be? At worst, they tell you to just keep the return.  But at least they could possibly make a note about the buyer for future cases? Supposedly eBay has cracked down on fraudulent buyers so I would think they would have some tracking mechanism for buyers in your case. 

If you are feeling vindictive enough, like lmz said you could just buy up a bunch of digital purchases if he saved his password on there.  Once the buyer disputes the charges, Sony would ban his PSN and possibly Vita? You can argue you were never the guilty party since there was no signature confirmation anyway.  Any person could have just taken your package.  I'm sorry I don't actively condone screwing any company/individual injustly but to me this qualifies as return fraud and you could make a case that the only person that should be punished is the guy that committed it.

Any update on the other scammer claiming the missing game?

I sold a game 3 weeks ago and sent it out the next day via First Class Mail but it wound up going missing along the way.

From what I can see, the parcel has never shown up in the delivery confirmation tracking system. But when I've called the USPS - they apparently have it showing up in their system. Interesting.

It still hasn't turned up yet though, so I'm feeling resigned to it being lost forever. It was an inexpensive game so I'm not fuming over it, but what are the chances the USPS gives me back the value of the game + shipping if I didn't purchase insurance on it?

That return I mentioned about a week ago...I still haven't received the item back. Let's just assume the buyer did send it back but it got lost or something else. If he was stupid enough to not buy tracking, will eBay let this go since he can't prove he sent it or whatever (since they use the exact same thing against us sellers in disputes where claim item never shipped)? Or if that's the case can the person just escalate the case to Paypal or whatever the next step after a case is and just use his lie against me and regardless of whether or not he shipped it he gets an instat refund?

It still hasn't turned up yet though, so I'm feeling resigned to it being lost forever. It was an inexpensive game so I'm not fuming over it, but what are the chances the USPS gives me back the value of the game + shipping if I didn't purchase insurance on it?
They're not going to refund you the value of the game, as that's what insurance is for. That would be like saying that you want a replacement on something through an extended warranty, even though you never purchased said warranty.

This might be one that you have to consider it a loss, as Ebay sees it as the seller's responsibility to insure it gets to the buyer.

They're not going to refund you the value of the game, as that's what insurance is for. That would be like saying that you want a replacement on something through an extended warranty, even though you never purchased said warranty.

This might be one that you have to consider it a loss, as Ebay sees it as the seller's responsibility to insure it gets to the buyer.
I figured. The USPS guy I spoke to said to file a claim - not sure if this would be any different from the claim I filed 2 weeks ago or not...

What I don't get is what good is filing a claim now if it does nothing for me or the buyer. At worst, I should be thankful this was a $10 game and not something that was truly rare/valuable - though I would have insured those.

c'est la vie

I figured. The USPS guy I spoke to said to file a claim - not sure if this would be any different from the claim I filed 2 weeks ago or not...

What I don't get is what good is filing a claim now if it does nothing for me or the buyer. At worst, I should be thankful this was a $10 game and not something that was truly rare/valuable - though I would have insured those.

c'est la vie
I had something like this happen back in Jan./Feb.. They tell you to file a claim, so they know what to look for. As that claim might reveal that one sorting facility is been really lazy and will get punished if caught. It also might catch some thieving employee that has been stealing stuff at a facility. Usually if they find the package or what happened to it, they'll have a postmaster near you call to notify you.

As for the 2 weeks, not sure why tell people to wait that long.

What's up with eBay letting people have PRIVATE feedback ratings. I sold some shirts and this guy bought 3 of them. He has a feedback score over 640 and its 100%. The problem is they haven't paid and when you look at the feedback it's all Private. I've tried contacting the buyer still no response. Now I opened a non paying case but have to wait 4 days when I know this guy isn't going to pay. Luckily the bidders underneath him are interested in my items.

I think the buyer decided not to like my Priority Mail shipping in the United States which I could of changed if they asked.

Note to CAGs before you toss your old clothes sell them on eBay if they are wanted. I've been making a killing on old shirts lately.

Anyone try out ebay's voucher program for sellers? Sell an item, get a voucher for the full amount and not have to pay Paypal or ebay fees.

Wondering if anyone else has used it and if so, how it's worked out for them. Not selling something terribly expensive so saving a couple bucks to have to spend the sale proceeds on ebay doesn't seem too bad, but that's assuming it's an easy process.

Note to CAGs before you toss your old clothes sell them on eBay if they are wanted. I've been making a killing on old shirts lately.
My brother and his then girlfriend used to do that pretty extensively, buying from the local thrift stores for flipping. It's amazing what people will pay just to have a brand name.

My brother and his then girlfriend used to do that pretty extensively, buying from the local thrift stores for flipping. It's amazing what people will pay just to have a brand name.
Yeah tell me about it. I was about to donate all my old clothes. Now I've been getting $100+ for old shirts and even some have holes. Glad I didn't donate them to the Goodwill.

Yeah tell me about it. I was about to donate all my old clothes. Now I've been getting $100+ for old shirts and even some have holes. Glad I didn't donate them to the Goodwill.
What brand shirts are you getting rid of? I have some polo stuff but I don't think it's worth much.

No wonder you getting good money. I see my Ralph Laurens and Tommys aint worth shit.
Seems like any early prints from street wear companies or early designers fetch good money. I just like the fact you can wear a shirt for many years and sell it for 3x+ you paid for it. I got my Fuct collection at wholesale prices so the profit is great.

Alright guys so I'm pretty new to selling on eBay (less then 30 items) and i could use some advice on this. I sell a copy of Dark Souls and ship to the confirmed address printing my postage through eBay. Today I get a message from the buyer telling me that he can see the package is received on the tracking but he hasn't received it, he asks me to confirm that i sent it to the right address. He gives me a address in Washington and his PayPal address is Perry MI. I see now that he is apparently unverified on PayPal which i thought i had buyer requirments to stop that kind of stuff. He's asking me to respond within 1-3 days and I assume he's going to open a case after that. How should i respond/should i respond? And if he opens a case how protected am I or am I going to be out of a game on this?

^ If you shipped it to the address on the PayPal invoice and the USPS tracking shows delivered in the same city / zip code then you will win any dispute.

If he waits to leave feedback until AFTER the dispute, and assuming you win the dispute because you can show proof of delivery then any bad feedback he leaves would be eligible to be removed.

Wow thanks for the speedy reply, would you suggest communicating with him at all or just waiting for the inevitable case? The tracking info seems fine, delivered to his confirmed address in Perry Mi.

Wow thanks for the speedy reply, would you suggest communicating with him at all or just waiting for the inevitable case? The tracking info seems fine, delivered to his confirmed address in Perry Mi.
The only thing you should say, if you say anything at all, is that you shipped the game to the address given to you by eBay/Pay Pal according to eBay's rules. It's probably not even worth your time to reply at all.

You will prevail in any "not received" disputes. This will probably piss the guy off. My guess is you've got a college student whose home is in MI but he's in school in WA. But I would be wary of vindictive asshole buyers. If he's clever and feeling vindictive, he could turn around and say the item was "significantly not as described" and file that case instead of the "not received" one. Either he will just straight up lie about the condition of the game or try to have his parents lie/damage the game. I suppose if you're at that point, you could offer a refund, but I'd expect getting shit back in the mail.

That return I mentioned about a week ago...I still haven't received the item back. Let's just assume the buyer did send it back but it got lost or something else. If he was stupid enough to not buy tracking, will eBay let this go since he can't prove he sent it or whatever (since they use the exact same thing against us sellers in disputes where claim item never shipped)? Or if that's the case can the person just escalate the case to Paypal or whatever the next step after a case is and just use his lie against me and regardless of whether or not he shipped it he gets an instat refund?
I just got an email telling me eBay refunded the buyer and I'm not at any fault or will have my seller ratings affected. I'm shocked, I would have thought they would have forced me to refund him or just shut him down and tell him no refund. What happened here, as we were in an open dispute with me waiting on the guy to send back the allegedly broken item (the last message was from me telling him the address to send it to and that once I verified everything was sent back I'd refund him).

I just got an email telling me eBay refunded the buyer and I'm not at any fault or will have my seller ratings affected. I'm shocked, I would have thought they would have forced me to refund him or just shut him down and tell him no refund. What happened here, as we were in an open dispute with me waiting on the guy to send back the allegedly broken item (the last message was from me telling him the address to send it to and that once I verified everything was sent back I'd refund him).
That sounds Amazonian to me, maybe they are taking a page out of their book. Probably got him put on the watch list to see if he does it to anyone else. Bad thing is if something similar happens to you again you would be put in a bad light.

A slight update, he's sent me two messages now basically requesting my response so I begrudgingly told him that i sent it to his confirmed PayPal address. I'm wondering if he files a Item not as described case can I use his messages to prove its not true? He admits that he hasn't received the item so wouldn't that be proof enough that his case would be made up? For some reason I doubt it.

Well - the first few of the ebay Global shipping programs that snuck through cracks have started making their way to their places.

Out of the three that have been delivered 2+ positive feedbacks and one person complaining that a game doesn't work. Person complaining has 2 feedback. The game I sent was in great condition and I tested it out (PS2 game). I guess we will have to see how this goes down. Normally I would just tell them to ship me back a game cuz I don't want to deal with people's crap, but this person paid like 20+ dollars for shipping to the ebay program.

I'm guessing if it isn't just someone trying to screw with me then the person has a crappy PS2 (or is maybe trying to play it on their PS3 and their is some issue with that). I said for a refund they would have to ship the game back to me but I would be only able to refund the 15 total they paid me. If they think it was damaged in transit to file a claim and ebay should cover it since it was through their global program thingie a jiggie.

I've had a few people complain about games recently - all PS2 games. Are there a lot of PS2's out there problematic with lens issues, etc. A few people I told that I need to see it back so I can verify and check the game. Never heard back from those ones.

Edit:

The person wrote back to me. They said even though the disc has no scratches and looks great it will freeze at certain times, etc. That sounds like it would be a lens or other issue with the console. I tested the game out for a few minutes on my console - it played fine. I didn't try to play very far, but if it loaded fine and has no scratches or defects on it I would bet issue on her end.

It's possible it could be a defective disc, where something wasn't put on the disc right.  I have ran into 1-2 new games that just would not play on any system.

It is possible I guess that there could be an error that happens later on past the opening 10 min. I just find that pretty unlikely and after hearing so many people have ps2 lens issues would think it would be that.

Looking at the rules for global shipping I can't figure out if the buyer or ebay or who is suppose to pay for the extra like 20 bucks the person paid for shipping. I never even saw that money.

Also - another horror on eBay is that I've had 7 people with zero feedback buy some of my stuff the last 5 days. What is up with eBay this month for me.

So i just sold a game (Battlefront 2 for Xbox) 2 bidders 1 guy had like 30 feedback but was beat out by 50 cents by someone with a new account (made 2 days ago and zero feedback) Thing is guy already paid is there anything I can do I can almost feel a scammer even though he does have 1 feedback now from buying a pair of N64 games for $25

So i just sold a game (Battlefront 2 for Xbox) 2 bidders 1 guy had like 30 feedback but was beat out by 50 cents by someone with a new account (made 2 days ago and zero feedback) Thing is guy already paid is there anything I can do I can almost feel a scammer even though he does have 1 feedback now from buying a pair of N64 games for $25
As long as you took some pictures, gave a good description, and use first class shipping option with built-in DC, you have a much higher chance of things going smooth than actually being scammed. I've sold many games to 0 feedback users and never had an incident. Ironically the only negative experience I've ever had on eBay was with someone who had over 200 feedback (but was still an idiot).

Every new eBay customer starts with zero feedback. I'm assuming unless you're a wizard that when you opened your account you started with new feedback.

I don't know if you entertain global sales but eBay has exploded in places like Russia and South America recently so there have been tons of new accounts and if you believe the propoganda that eBay puts out the site is experiencing tons of growth.

In all honesty you're just as likely to get scammed by someone with higher feedback then someone with zero.

The only words of wisdom I can give you is that if it is a new account (look for the new account icon next to their screen name) and they have a ton of purchases in the past few days (you can search for bidding/buying history in the advance search tab---just enter the buyers screen name) and the purchases are for the same handful of items then most likely it is an account using a stolen credit card and they are trying to make as many purchases are they can before the fraud is detected

well now im getting a little nervous just printed the shipping label and did the search on his bidding he made his account on the 17th and has already bid on 36 items from N64-PC-Xbox-PS1 and he also won another auction of a lot of Xbox games that also includes Battlefront 2 as well as other game auctions. 

Alright I have 2 questions,

1. I have an item up for $249.99 right now, if it should sell to an international buyer, what is the best way to ship via USPS so that my shipment will comply with all paypal regulations such as signature confirmation. It is easy to do signature confirmation for the USA but not for international. Right now I have the auction blocked to international buyers, but I am considering opening it up again, however I think it is something that could possibly sell to an international buyer.

2. I am printing my own postage at home, my scale does not show the . ounces, like 10.6 oz, it will only show 10 oz, should I be taking the weight right from the scale or should I round up an oz to cover any discrepancies. Buying another scale would be prohibitively expensive for me, as this is a REALLY nice postage scale that I picked up at a yard sale for $2.  Also how likely is it to have a package returned for insufficient postage if I am printing my own package at home?

I picked up a postal scale on eBay that does ounces for about $10. More than $2, but still not that expensive.

Anyway, I would round up to be safe. The extra 20-30 cents or so isn't going to set you back too much.

1. I have an item up for $249.99 right now, if it should sell to an international buyer, what is the best way to ship via USPS so that my shipment will comply with all paypal regulations such as signature confirmation. It is easy to do signature confirmation for the USA but not for international. Right now I have the auction blocked to international buyers, but I am considering opening it up again, however I think it is something that could possibly sell to an international buyer.

2. I am printing my own postage at home, my scale does not show the . ounces, like 10.6 oz, it will only show 10 oz, should I be taking the weight right from the scale or should I round up an oz to cover any discrepancies. Buying another scale would be prohibitively expensive for me, as this is a REALLY nice postage scale that I picked up at a yard sale for $2. Also how likely is it to have a package returned for insufficient postage if I am printing my own package at home?

1, You are not going to find a cost effective way to ship internationally that also includes a signature. Your only real option is to go outside USPS (FedEx, DHL, UPS) and at that point you are going to spend nearly 10x more to ship the item.

I have mailed thousands of items internationally and hundreds that cross the $250 threshold. I have never ever once had an issue where a signature comes into play. In fact I have never had an issue domestically where a signature came into play (meaning the tracking showed delivered but the buyer claimed he didn't receive it).

I will say there are a few European countries and Australia that do collect signatures on USPS Express but again that is the exception.

My advice is that if you're going to ship internationally just make sure it's with a trackable service (USPS Priority [NOT small flat rate or flat rate envelope] or any USPS Express Service) and then insure the item using eBay insurance (shipcover) or a third party like U-Pic or shipsurance.

Depending on your tolerance for shenanigans I would consider not including these countries.

Brazil

Argentina

Russia

Israel

Africa

I don't have many problems with Brazil but it will take 4-6 weeks for your item to arrive. I have had more items go missing to Argentina then anywhere else---but they were always non-tracked items.

Israel doesn't do a great job making sure items are scanned as "delivered" so that opens up the door for fraudulent claims and Russia is another country where it takes forever for items to arrive.

Insurance should cover you in most of those instances though.

2. I would round up. They may not send the item back to you but if that package gets "audited" then they could send a notice to the buyer that postage is due which would require they go to the post office and pay the ~ $.20 difference to pick it up.

I had to go one time and pay $.04 because the buyer paid for Priority Flat Rate Envelope postage (i.e. $4.95) and used a Priority Legal Flat Rate Envelope (i.e. $4.99) and that is a tiny difference.

Honestly though the number of packages that get looked at is small but you'd feel better knowing you played it safe,

I just go to the post office and ask for estimates if I'm unsure about something. Some of the things I auction off I cannot afford to get into it without knowing ahead of time what I'm in for shipping-wise so I just take the package there and get some numbers. I only ship in the states though so most of the time I can predict costs unless I'm shipping something bigger than normal or akwardly shaped.

2. I am printing my own postage at home, my scale does not show the . ounces, like 10.6 oz, it will only show 10 oz, should I be taking the weight right from the scale or should I round up an oz to cover any discrepancies. Buying another scale would be prohibitively expensive for me, as this is a REALLY nice postage scale that I picked up at a yard sale for $2. Also how likely is it to have a package returned for insufficient postage if I am printing my own package at home?
1) 'm in the process of dealing with my first global shipping program sales on ebay, so I can't say completely how it goes - but you may want to look into it with your item. I know one of the positives from reading is as long as you get it to the shipping center in tact eBay/Pitney have to cover it the rest of the way, and it gets damaged/lost it is on them. (Read the fine print to make sure, but that is what it seems like)

2) Why is another scale prohibitively expensive - they are are like $20 or less. If you are just selling one or two things I guess just use the one you have, but if you are going to sell a bunch of stuff I'd buy a better one. It seems strange for a scale not to have a decimal point.

To anyone worried about sending a costly item internationally, I suggest you invest in UPS or FedEx. USPS does not track the item once it leaves US customs. I've been screwed on a few $50 items not knowing anything about that.

I am hoping to sell the item to an American buyer so this does not happen, my item has a fair amount of watchers so I think I have a chance selling only in America for this item.

I have never had a problem with Brazil, but I would not ship to Mexico as I sent a package there and it was never delivered and I think this is the only time in my whole time selling on eBay I have had that happen, Mexico is now blocked on my account. Thankfully it was a small item so not much of a loss.

I rarely go over $250 to international buyers for a single so it is not an issue with 99.9 percent of the things I sell are not going to be over $250, other than that I have not had an international item with a complaint from a buyer or one that has not been delivered, other than that one package to Mexico...

bread's done
Back