The General eBay Rant Thread

Update: She paid. Glad she did the right thing.
Happy endings are happy, since getting screwed over on a $10 item is much different than a $500 item.

For a rant, I sold an item a month ago that the buyer let me know shortly after receiving it that there is a problem with the product. The buyer has excellent feedback ratings for both buying and selling, so I take their word for it and tell them to open up a case for the return (since I listed this originally as no returns).

After weeks of no contact, the buyer then lets me know this week if I can just issue the refund from Paypal without having to send the item back (said they would post a video of it not working in action for proof). Told them that I'd rather have them open up a case and return the item first, and then I'll issue the refund after its receipt. Been about a week now, still no reply to that message.

Being my first issue with a sale, I'm assuming I'm not asking for much to get the item back first before any further action taken. I think the Paypal refund policy is up to 60 days, but the way this buyer is dragging their feet in getting their own money back, they may even exceed that window.

I don't think this is a scam or anything, just wondering why someone would be opposed to even opening up a case in eBay first, especially from a knowledgable member.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all experienced members are knowledgeable. I've come across ebayers that have like 900 feedback that are basically parents that open an account for their kids to buy things. Who knows who you are even communicating with.

Btw, it is policy to return the item for the refund. ebay strictly advises that of you. That's how it works in the real world anyway. You return an item, then you get your money back. You don't ask for the money and then keep or return the item later.

Billy,

I would never get in the habit of issue refunds or partial refunds without requiring the buyer returns the item first. That enables buyers to be bad and get in the habit of continuing that behavior.

Thank of how bad some CAG's are with asking for credit from AZ just because the game arrived a day late, or had a crease, or whatever.

Thanks for the confirmations, as I am content to sit it out and wait until they open up a case for returns (I would never blindly issue a refund without getting it back first).  I know if I bought something that didn't work as described, I would want the seller to be actively involved in the process.  I feel I'm doing my part, but just not getting the expected response in return.

Oh well, maybe the buyer is just too busy to worry about a sub $30 item with their current sales on eBay, the recent holidays and whatnot, but we'll see how it pans out.

^ Unless it is a blatant oversight or mistake on my end I won't refund any amount without receiving the item back. If it ends up being a mistake on my end (and not buyer's remorse; I'll pay the return handling fees as well).

But I think it just creates bad habits (i.e. problem buyers) if you start handing out partial refunds just because they are unhappy with something trivial

^ Unless it is a blatant oversight or mistake on my end I won't refund any amount without receiving the item back. If it ends up being a mistake on my end (and not buyer's remorse; I'll pay the return handling fees as well).

But I think it just creates bad habits (i.e. problem buyers) if you start handing out partial refunds just because they are unhappy with something trivial
I think the real problem lies in the fact that everyone assumes all online shopping is / should be like Amazon.

Basically, if they get something used and it's not in near pristine condition, get ready to hear an earful .. bleh.

So a buyer opened a unauthorized use case and paypal is asking for shipping proof. The problem is that I no longer have a receipt because this was a item i sold on November 25th and I honestly don't tend to save receipts beyond a month. I can look up the tracking number and its showing delivered, but is that enough? And how would i go about sending that to them because they are pretty much asking for pictures/fax

So a buyer opened a unauthorized use case and paypal is asking for shipping proof. The problem is that I no longer have a receipt because this was a item i sold on November 25th and I honestly don't tend to save receipts beyond a month. I can look up the tracking number and its showing delivered, but is that enough? And how would i go about sending that to them because they are pretty much asking for pictures/fax
Section 11.3C of the PayPal user agreement shows that you just need proof of shipment. This means you need to be able to prove you shipped it to the address on the buyer's paypal invoice.

Did you print the label through eBay? If it's a domestic transaction and you printed the label through eBay then PayPal will have enough information for you to win the case.

If you paid at the post office it's a little bit more tricky but the tracking should still work

can anyone tell me who i contact to report a scammer on here? I recently got scammed by a member named moonmanchaos. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Section 11.3C of the PayPal user agreement shows that you just need proof of shipment. This means you need to be able to prove you shipped it to the address on the buyer's paypal invoice.

Did you print the label through eBay? If it's a domestic transaction and you printed the label through eBay then PayPal will have enough information for you to win the case.

If you paid at the post office it's a little bit more tricky but the tracking should still work
It was to Canada, does that change things? And yes I printed through Ebay.

It was to Canada, does that change things? And yes I printed through Ebay.
They typically require a little bit more proof if it is an international shipment because to most countries there isn't delivery confirmation and the want to make sure that you actually sent the item and/or that it wasn't returned back to you since you obviously can't keep the funds and the item.

But if you printed the lable through eBay then PayPal will see where it was addressed to (Do you still have the e-mail confirmation that you get when you print the label?) and as long as the tracking shows that it was handled by USPS to confirm that it was shipped you should be good to go.

I always print the label receipt (it is the smaller square that prints with the labels), cut it out, and staple it to the paypal invoice and then file it so I have that information if something like this happens down the road.

They typically require a little bit more proof if it is an international shipment because to most countries there isn't delivery confirmation and the want to make sure that you actually sent the item and/or that it wasn't returned back to you since you obviously can't keep the funds and the item.

But if you printed the lable through eBay then PayPal will see where it was addressed to (Do you still have the e-mail confirmation that you get when you print the label?) and as long as the tracking shows that it was handled by USPS to confirm that it was shipped you should be good to go.

I always print the label receipt (it is the smaller square that prints with the labels), cut it out, and staple it to the paypal invoice and then file it so I have that information if something like this happens down the road.
Yeah i figure I'm likely screwed, I deleted the email at some point. Honestly didn't think I had to keep stuff for that long but I guess I've learned a new lesson. I'll try just giving them the tracking number to see if thats enough as thats pretty much all I have and will try to keep the emails in the future. It was only $20 but it is annoying how long you have to keep this stuff, I mean 6 weeks?

Yeah i figure I'm likely screwed, I deleted the email at some point. Honestly didn't think I had to keep stuff for that long but I guess I've learned a new lesson. I'll try just giving them the tracking number to see if thats enough as thats pretty much all I have and will try to keep the emails in the future. It was only $20 but it is annoying how long you have to keep this stuff, I mean 6 weeks?
You need to keep your proof for however long the period is that a buyer can open a claim. I don't go as far as to save paper proof anymore (though I guess I technically keep them in a box to be shredded, but at some point when I get around to chores all of them will be shredded up to that date), but why go through and delete your emails? I just move all the eBay emails to a folder called "eBay" and the PayPal ones to a "PayPal" folder and there they'll sit forever. It's not like you're realistically going to run out of mailbox space on any free email site. Then if I need proof I can show I purchased the label on X date to Y's address with Z tracking number - the same info that I get when I print the labels out.

I have a question. There is a seller who is selling a lot of stuff I want as BIN entries. The base shipping is a little high since it's from Canada, so I want to combine shipping. However, for some reason it's not saving the items in my cart so I can request an invoice. Any way to add a bunch of the items to the cart without paying each one separately?

EDIT: Never mind. Figured out what was wrong. The seller set up Immediate Payment. Used to getting a notice whenever I had that, which I guess eBay got rid of.

I used to report bootleg games when ever I saw them on EBay but I stopped years ago because they never got removed. It gets really annoying when you have the same game that is a legitimate version and can't sell it for as much as it's really worth because those bootleg copies bring down the value. In general I never had success with EBay removing anything I reported though, even when I had my pictures stolen by another seller EBay wouldn't remove their listing either.

Ugh damn bootlegs. A while ago on eBay, I bought a bootleg Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and can't return it. Now trying to find a legit copy at a good price.

[quote name="AzureFlame" post="11437758" timestamp="1389506494"]There are still armfulls of fake DS games on eBay. Look at these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Pokemon-HeartGold-Pokemon-SoulSilver-for-nds-Lite-ndsi-ndsll-ndsxl-3DS-05-/191032116182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7a66c3d6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pc-Pokemon-Pearl-Diamond-Platinum-HeartGold-SoulSilver-nds-ndsi-ndsll-ndsxl-3DS-/111252044800?pt=Video_Games&hash=item19e7237c00

I thought people knew better by now. I guess not. Those damn bastards are getting rich for doing nothing.

Oh, and there's this... highly confused seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DS-Pokemon-SoulSilver-Game-Only-No-Pokewalker-FREE-SHIPPING-/400642930686?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item5d482df7fe[/quote]

How can you tell that they are bootleg? (Besides the too good to be true price, and that they ship from China). Looks real to me otherwise.

How can you tell that they are bootleg? (Besides the too good to be true price, and that they ship from China). Looks real to me otherwise.
Real HS, SS, Pearl, Diamond, and so on, cartridges don't look like that. Examine a real one. They'll look different than that.

There was a seller that I bought a couple rare games from on ebay in the past. They both arrived as described. No issues. He was also very nice and communicative through messages about when he shipped the item and stuff. A few days ago, I was looking for a rare game and wanted to see if he had any listed. Couldn't find him, so I went back into my feedback and saw he was no longer a registered user. I clicked his feedback and after like 150+ perfect seller ratings he had 10 negatives in a row. He was a member for several years. Since 06ish I think.

All negatives were people claiming they never got their items and he gave them fake tracking numbers. Also a couple items were said to be phonies or missing key parts of a whole set.

I guess I got lucky when I bought some items from him a while back. I wonder what makes an  experienced ebayer suddenly decide to just one day start ripping people off after they were honest for years..

Maybe he went broke and figured he'd list some high value shit he didn't have (or intend to sell, at least) and close his PayPal account?

Do the fake games work in a 3DS, normally... I always thought they wouldn't work in a 3DS especially one with the latest firmware. This would be a good way to tell a fake. Unless they have found a way around that now.

Also I think some sellers are taking real carts and putting different roms on them, don't ask me how this is done I have no idea... but I have heard of people buying expensive games like Pokemon heart gold and inserting them into their DS and something like Petz catz comes up instead.

Do the fake games work in a 3DS, normally... I always thought they wouldn't work in a 3DS especially one with the latest firmware. This would be a good way to tell a fake. Unless they have found a way around that now.

Also I think some sellers are taking real carts and putting different roms on them, don't ask me how this is done I have no idea... but I have heard of people buying expensive games like Pokemon heart gold and inserting them into their DS and something like Petz catz comes up instead.
I recently bought Pokemon SoulSilver from a USA seller and I'm glad that it appears to be legit. I think HG and SS have black cartridges, but either way, it worked on my 3DS XL that has the most up-to-date firmware. Same with a Pokemon Platinum I recently got on GameTZ

If bootleggers found a way around that, that's pretty impressive that they'd go through such a feat to make a quick buck.

[quote name="HarajukuJynx" post="11448263" timestamp="1389845938"]I recently bought Pokemon SoulSilver from a USA seller and I'm glad that it appears to be legit. I think HG and SS have black cartridges, but either way, it worked on my 3DS XL that has the most up-to-date firmware. Same with a Pokemon Platinum I recently got on GameTZ

If bootleggers found a way around that, that's pretty impressive that they'd go through such a feat to make a quick buck.[/quote]

I guess when you consider hundreds and thousands and more than thousands of carts being sold it would be worth it

However real complete games with the original packaging will always be worth more regardless

What really grinds my gears... 

BIN listed at .99c but s+h is $45. 

How the hell does ebay allow this? A way to negate ebay's cut of the sale?

I know right,I hate that shit.
It's actually not allowed and is a policy violation but it's not like the seller is pulling a fast one; he'll be charged final value fees on the total amount he is paid including on the S/H so it's not like he's saving money.

I've noticed a lot of people offering Priority Mail shipping at essentially double the cost for the size box the item would fit in.

I can't figure out whether that is some kind of pre-set price by eBay that the sellers are just rolling with, or whether the sellers think they're being slick by charging ~$12 for Priority Mail shipping that will fit into a ~$6 envelope/small box.

Yeah, ebay does not like it when you jack up shipping costs. Although some sellers have slightly higher than normal flat rates. Like $8.99 shipping for all their games. I can't remember ever shipping a regular game that was normal weight and ever have it come to that much. Even with Priority Mail.

ebay really wants you to do free shipping with everything.

I offer free shipping on games and anything that can go first class. And I use the shipping calculator for things that weigh over 13 ounces and need to go Priority or Parcel. Priority really depends on the buyers location so it's hard to offer free shipping on that.

Although, I hate when a buyer gives me low ratings in shipping when the price is the exact postage. I don't know why that's my fault...

Ugh, I got my first negative today. I mailed someone a game and didn't realize it was in a generic video store box. It came with liner and booklet, but I acknowledge that it's my fault that I didn't notice the generic case. (Note: I didn't mention it was in an official case in the auction; All I said was that the manual and original liner were included)

Anyway, instead of just messaging me asking me to send him an official case, he leaves me a negative feedback saying "BUYER BEWARE". Lovely. If he was smart, he would have contacted me and used the threat of a negative to force me to send him a new case. By him already giving me the negative, he gives up any kind of leverage he has.

I sent him a message, saying if he removes the negative feedback, I'll mail him an official case. Ball is in his court now. And this is all over a Gamecube case? Seriously? Realistically, I should refund him 99 cents and tell him to buy a sports game from Gamestop and use that case.

For kicks, I check out the guy's "left feedback" history, and he gives negatives to *literally* half of his sellers. Awesome. If he refuses to remove the negative, is there anything I can do, or am I stuck?

Thanks all.

Awesome. If he refuses to remove the negative, is there anything I can do, or am I stuck?
You could try calling costumer support and explain everything you did here in your post. It actually worked for me when somebody decided to give me a neutral and the CS guy removed the feedback. This does sound similar to my case with the RF adapter, AV cord deal.

If you buy an item on ebay and it is not at described, do you have to pay return shipping? Never returned an item on ebay before?

If you buy an item on ebay and it is not at described, do you have to pay return shipping? Never returned an item on ebay before?
Yes, unfortunately. Some sellers would refund that cost, but they're not obligated to.

I've negotiated that the seller pay return shipping before successfully, so you can try that.

Seems unfair if a buyer gets an item that he didn't pay for. I didn't order something, but my friend ordered a shirt online and he got a knock off when they claimed it was 100% authentic. He doesn't want to pay return shipping for getting a product that wasn't advertised correctly.

All you can really do is threaten to leave a negative if they don't reimburse you.

Sometimes eBay will give you a label, though. Unless they stopped doing that.

All you can really do is threaten to leave a negative if they don't reimburse you.

Sometimes eBay will give you a label, though. Unless they stopped doing that.
Still do sometimes, though the last two times I had a problem, they just gave me a "complimentary" refund.

So the new USPS shipping fees are into effect, I don't notice much difference on heavy shipments / flat rates, though first class (which I use primarily) did see around a $0.30 bump.  Not that it makes that much of a difference, but shipping those light / cheap filler items cuts down the margin that much more.

For my shipping, it really won't affect me at all, but I expect more people will push the 2 oz rule with regular stamps for the really light items / DLC code slips and inserts, which means less tracking out there (and more people emailing codes than there already is).

Looking at the eBay discount plus Delivery Confirmation cost (23 cents now, up from 19 I think?), Media Mail rates are up anywhere from 19 cents to 50+ cents for each weight range. It's up 22 cents on probably the most commonly used weight class, 1+ lbs.

It's not huge hit, but if you're working with low priced items with razor thin profit margins it definitely hurts. And it screws things up if you're just trying to break even after shipping/fees on something.

It looks like USPS is offering free insurance up to $100 on all priority mail packages now which is a plus.

It's not huge hit, but if you're working with low priced items with razor thin profit margins it definitely hurts. And it screws things up if you're just trying to break even after shipping/fees on something.
I just bought a 2x cell watch battery for $1.25 with free shipping, and they even gave me a tracking number, I'm not sure I'd ever get into that business (even if I was able to source them for pennies...), super razor thin margin there.

Also a rave instead of a rant, eBay, Inc. just sent me a shipping credit for a listing I sold in December. I remember them advertising they would cover the shipping cost on the next item I listed and sold, so I chose to list a PS2 slim console I was debating on keeping. Didn't hear anything since (didn't expect anything really), but just today I got a Paypal credit of $12 from them. Just a heads up if others on here took part in the same promotion.

I just bought a 2x cell watch battery for $1.25 with free shipping, and they even gave me a tracking number, I'm not sure I'd ever get into that business (even if I was able to source them for pennies...), super razor thin margin there.

Also a rave instead of a rant, eBay, Inc. just sent me a shipping credit for a listing I sold in December. I remember them advertising they would cover the shipping cost on the next item I listed and sold, so I chose to list a PS2 slim console I was debating on keeping. Didn't hear anything since (didn't expect anything really), but just today I got a Paypal credit of $12 from them. Just a heads up if others on here took part in the same promotion.
So that's where the eBay bucks went.

Shipping a PS3 game still equates to roughly $2 anyways so the difference (although it adds up over time) isn't that big of a deal to me.

The USPS needs the revenue anyways, their rates are locked in and are slow to increase which is one of the causes of their financial problems. If anything, I feel like it's still a bargain to be able to ship a video game to any U.S. territory with tracking included at the speed of First Class for a measly $2.

Somewhat OT - So last weekend was the first time I saw my USPS delivery man since Dec. (I tipped him $10 - thanks KoDave). I thanked him for his work since I order an unusually high amount of games due to this site. I told him I preferred if he would just drop off my packages for me at my front door (live at an apartment complex), but he still continues to leave them at the leasing office for me. He said packages have been stolen around the area (although in my 4 years here I've never had a single Amazon package that was left at my front door stolen from me). It's annoying because when I had requested it of him, I told him it helps my turnaround time by not having to pick up my parcels at my leasing office for my eBay sales. I've tipped him a few years now so I feel like he should do what I ask. Now I've set a standard that I tip him every Christmas and I'm not getting the service that I ask. Nice guy and all but damn =\

I need some advice. This person with 0 feedback bought my hat and sent an e-check payment, then sent me an email saying that she had originally bought it for her boyfriend, but he found out about this surprise gift and it turns out he already had one. They asked for a refund. How do e-checks work? Should I wait for it to clear before making a refund or is it safe to just refund them now?

I need some advice. This person with 0 feedback bought my hat and sent an e-check payment, then sent me an email saying that she had originally bought it for her boyfriend, but he found out about this surprise gift and it turns out he already had one. They asked for a refund. How do e-checks work? Should I wait for it to clear before making a refund or is it safe to just refund them now?
Just refund it when it clears. It'll clear by next week. I've had echeck payments declined because buyers were hit with NSF charges before.

bread's done
Back