The General eBay Rant Thread

Yeah, the half dozen or so times I've been issued an e-check, the payment was declined for most all of them (except for one).  Since I switched to a Paypal premier account and all BIN listings requiring immediate payment, I don't have to deal with the e-check business anymore.

So just to reiterate, just wait until it clears, as it may auto cancel on its own.

So I sold a 12 month PS+ card for $40 last night and got paid through Paypal.

The interesting thing was that it was actually a Craigslist deal and the guy and I never met up in person.  He was content with just sending me payment to my Paypal address.  I had said if he wanted to do it through Paypal, that my request was for him to send it as a gift payment.  He was still cautious by asking me to sending him a picture of the card and talked to me live on the phone but wow, I'm stunned he was fine doing it that way instead of paying a few more bucks for more security through eBay.  I could have totally ripped him off (I still gave him the code of course).  

Something I noticed is that you can't redeem PS+ cards through the Sony PlayStation website.  You have to do it directly through your console.  Weird.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but was wondering if anyone knew. When someone doesn't pay and you open up a case and eventually close it for non-payment, what exactly does the strike against their account do? Thanks for any responses on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure this has been asked before, but was wondering if anyone knew. When someone doesn't pay and you open up a case and eventually close it for non-payment, what exactly does the strike against their account do? Thanks for any responses on this.
Nothing.

In all seriousness all it does is add a strike against their account which rolls off eventually. As a seller you can add restrictions to your listings that don't require immediate payment and one of those restrictions is to block buyers from bidding/purchasing if they have "X" amount of non payment strikes in the last 6 months (or a certain time frame).

I have never heard of a buyer being kicked off eBay (NARU) for having too many non paying strikes.

Just refund it when it clears. It'll clear by next week. I've had echeck payments declined because buyers were hit with NSF charges before.

Yeah, the half dozen or so times I've been issued an e-check, the payment was declined for most all of them (except for one). Since I switched to a Paypal premier account and all BIN listings requiring immediate payment, I don't have to deal with the e-check business anymore.

So just to reiterate, just wait until it clears, as it may auto cancel on its own.
Thanks. I followed your advice, and am waiting for it to clear/be declined.

I don't know why there's been a sudden interest from 0 feedback buyers on my items. For the first few months of selling stuff on eBay, all my buyers had a decent amount of feedback. I actually sold two of those hats and the first one was Buy It Now or Best Offer, and the person sent an offer of $40. I accepted and sent an invoice and it's been two days with no payment. Weird.

So I sold a 12 month PS+ card for $40 last night and got paid through Paypal.

The interesting thing was that it was actually a Craigslist deal and the guy and I never met up in person. He was content with just sending me payment to my Paypal address. I had said if he wanted to do it through Paypal, that my request was for him to send it as a gift payment. He was still cautious by asking me to sending him a picture of the card and talked to me live on the phone but wow, I'm stunned he was fine doing it that way instead of paying a few more bucks for more security through eBay. I could have totally ripped him off (I still gave him the code of course).

Something I noticed is that you can't redeem PS+ cards through the Sony PlayStation website. You have to do it directly through your console. Weird.
I would be careful doing that in the future, Im pretty sure theres nothing stopping him from disputing the payment and getting his money back like that. Through craigslist you have no protection as a seller.

I would be careful doing that in the future, Im pretty sure theres nothing stopping him from disputing the payment and getting his money back like that. Through craigslist you have no protection as a seller.
There's no buyer protection for payments sent as gifts since the sender is saying he's not buying anything. The dispute claims are for payments of goods and services.

That was the main reason why I requested a gift payment.

There's no buyer protection for payments sent as gifts since the sender is saying he's not buying anything. The dispute claims are for payments of goods and services.

That was the main reason why I requested a gift payment.
Not true.

Two exceptions to the rule.

1. If you sent it as a gift BUT used the paypal credit card (paying the fees yourself)...you can dispute the payment as a "fraudulent" one with Paypal. They'll research it but in all likelihood you'll get your money back.

2. Or used any other credit card. You can dispute it with your CC. and you WILL get the money back.

Had this happen to me twice.

Once I was the seller. Guy disputed with Paypal and they took the cash out of my account EVEN though it was sent as a gift. They said that the guy had disputed with his CC as a fraudulent transaction.

The other time was very recent. Bought a GC on a trading website. Got the card and a few days later when I checked the balance, it was gone. Guy wouldn't answer any messages.

Luckily I had used my paypal cc. Remembered the previous incident and I disputed it as a fraudulent charge. PP refunded me the money.

So it IS possible. Which is why..now

Fradulent charge, as in claiming someone stole your credit card (or number, at least)? Would they then cancel your card and send a replacement?

So I bought a Xbox One Wednesday and it still hasn't been marked shipped yet. Should I be worried? It said it would go out within 2 business days. The guy said he would include tracking in the description. I don't want to wait much longer for it to be shipped, otherwise I'd rather get a refund and buy a different one.

Should I open a case or just message him again?

So I bought a Xbox One Wednesday and it still hasn't been marked shipped yet. Should I be worried? It said it would go out within 2 business days. The guy said he would include tracking in the description. I don't want to wait much longer for it to be shipped, otherwise I'd rather get a refund and buy a different one.

Should I open a case or just message him again?
Send him a message; be kind and courteous about it and explain that it is a time sensitive item and you'd appreciate the tracking number so that you can follow its progress. If he hasn't mailed it out yet then let him know you'd either like it sent on Monday or if you're regretting the purchase, a refund.

Did you buy this from a small seller or a company like 1sale or Newegg?

Hmm... still not shipped. He never replied to my message on Saturday saying that I was going to wait to Monday before requesting a refund. I've noticed he's been getting positive feedback for a couple items he sold a couple days before I bought the system, so I'm wondering if I should wait and see if he shipped it and forgot to mark it.

Should I open a case to get his attentions?

Not true.
Two exceptions to the rule.

1. If you sent it as a gift BUT used the paypal credit card (paying the fees yourself)...you can dispute the payment as a "fraudulent" one with Paypal. They'll research it but in all likelihood you'll get your money back.
2. Or used any other credit card. You can dispute it with your CC. and you WILL get the money back.

Had this happen to me twice.

Once I was the seller. Guy disputed with Paypal and they took the cash out of my account EVEN though it was sent as a gift. They said that the guy had disputed with his CC as a fraudulent transaction.

The other time was very recent. Bought a GC on a trading website. Got the card and a few days later when I checked the balance, it was gone. Guy wouldn't answer any messages.
Luckily I had used my paypal cc. Remembered the previous incident and I disputed it as a fraudulent charge. PP refunded me the money.

So it IS possible. Which is why..now

Thanks for the insight. I was not aware of that. I got my information on the cag subforums regarding gamesharing that gift payments should never be sent for said reason. Now I know. Interesting.

I've rarely dealt with receiving gift payments over Paypal. I do a lot of Craigslist transactions and I'd say I average about 2 Paypal transactions a year that the buyer just doesn't have the cash on him and opts to send it to me that way. So far I haven't been burned on any of those.

Somewhat ironic, I just got a fraudulent Paypal dispute from a buyer that bought my Battlefield DLC item. I just checked and he did indeed redeem the code already and his shipping label is stationed in Algeria. Just refunded it to get it over with. Some people are absolute scum.

Somewhat ironic, I just got a fraudulent Paypal dispute from a buyer that bought my Battlefield DLC item. I just checked and he did indeed redeem the code already and his shipping label is stationed in Algeria. Just refunded it to get it over with. Some people are absolute scum.
I feel your pain... I freaking hate it when people use fraudulent paypal disputes to scam dlc... Which is why I really only like selling it on here unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

It's annoying when I'm selling something brand new, and someone asks me if it works. If it's new, how the fuck would I know? People these days.

Took a dice roll on an untested PS Vita. Judging from the pictures on the auction, there doesn't seem to be any screen damage, and seems to just be suffering from the blue light of death that can be fixed by entering the service mode. We'll see what happens.

I used to be a huge eBay fan and listed on their website for years (early 2008). As time went on, I began to notice the fees reach ridicilously high rates and the customer service was extremely lacking towards the sellers (and still is). As a seller with over 300 positive feedback, and a few disgruntled neutral feedback as every seller has experienced, I received several certificates from eBay for my stellar performance as a seller. Now that the stage is set, a very novice buyer happened to take a liking to one of my items and purchased it. All's good, item is in the mail and then out of the blue I get negative feedback and a seller investigation with no explanation. As soon as I investigated, the seller's account was gone! And to top it all off, he filed a chargeback (over $300 item) and I was scammed. eBay and PayPal alike, did nothing for me. Then they had the nerve to reduce my selling limits to 0 per month and suspend my account based on that one negative feedback!!! Done with eBay, sad that I put all my time and energy into establishing a good reputation there and it was ruined in that one selfish instant by that idiot buyer .

Hmm... still not shipped. He never replied to my message on Saturday saying that I was going to wait to Monday before requesting a refund. I've noticed he's been getting positive feedback for a couple items he sold a couple days before I bought the system, so I'm wondering if I should wait and see if he shipped it and forgot to mark it.

Should I open a case to get his attentions?
It is time for you to open the case, eBay usually works more for the buyer in these types of situations and will force him to ship your item or give you a refund.

This isn't an eBay question, but since the sellers are in this thread, I figured I'd give this a shot:

On Amazon Marketplace, if the order is Fulfilled By Amazon, can the seller still see the name and shipping address of the buyer? Can they see this information if the buyer leaves feedback?

I feel your pain... I freaking hate it when people use fraudulent paypal disputes to scam dlc... Which is why I really only like selling it on here unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Yeah I'm upset over this. The DLC just went for $12 so in terms of profit loss, it's not that big of a deal.

It's the principle of getting scammed that has me so irritated. I can't believe people go through the effort over something as minimal as $12. I can understand scamming high value items due to the high reward but over a few dollars? Really? You must be really screwed up in life to go after even small items. I sent him that message since I know he reads my emails. Not expecting it to change his behavior per se, but just something for him to think about and keep in the back of his mind. Sometimes people need to be reminded of the shit they do.

Someone's more likely to pursue a $600 PS4 scam than a $12 DLC scam. Especially on eBay, since digital codes aren't covered/allowed in the first place.

I used to be a huge eBay fan and listed on their website for years (early 2008). As time went on, I began to notice the fees reach ridicilously high rates and the customer service was extremely lacking towards the sellers (and still is). As a seller with over 300 positive feedback, and a few disgruntled neutral feedback as every seller has experienced, I received several certificates from eBay for my stellar performance as a seller. Now that the stage is set, a very novice buyer happened to take a liking to one of my items and purchased it. All's good, item is in the mail and then out of the blue I get negative feedback and a seller investigation with no explanation. As soon as I investigated, the seller's account was gone! And to top it all off, he filed a chargeback (over $300 item) and I was scammed. eBay and PayPal alike, did nothing for me. Then they had the nerve to reduce my selling limits to 0 per month and suspend my account based on that one negative feedback!!! Done with eBay, sad that I put all my time and energy into establishing a good reputation there and it was ruined in that one selfish instant by that idiot buyer .
File reverse report on them and contact customer service on both. Threaten to file a police report, etc. Say this is fraud and provide tracking, etc.

Speaking of ebay, has anyone else's "my ebay" page changed? It doesn't show the name of the buyer who purchases items anymore, so you have to manually go into the item page to see it. I don't like this at all. A total inconvenience.

Alright you guys I need some help. I got scammed. First time for me. The guy sent me a box of clothes instead of the console.

Where do I start on getting my money back. Should I just start with opening a case and wait a few days before contacting eBay and Paypal?

UPDATE- I opened a case and said I will provide pictures if needed.

Speaking of ebay, has anyone else's "my ebay" page changed? It doesn't show the name of the buyer who purchases items anymore, so you have to manually go into the item page to see it. I don't like this at all. A total inconvenience.
Yep, just noticed this yesterday. It was driving me nuts because I had a buyer that bought two of my items and I had to manually click each item to make sure it was the same buyer instead of the name being listed under the item like usual.

eBay does this all the time. They change the layout of stuff for no reason and it usually just makes it harder to do stuff.

eBay used to be the best, now all of these new "innovations" are ruining it. Everything today is always changing, so developers and major companies think they must always change things and that every time they change something that it will yield positive results. When the fact of the matter is, sometimes things are best left alone and meant to be the way it always was.

So I sold something on eBay to a member that lives right on my way home from work.  Do I save the $2 and drop it off in their mailbox (with an eBay packing list attached), or still buy a label with tracking information (for CYA), Hrmmm...

So I sold something on eBay to a member that lives right on my way home from work. Do I save the $2 and drop it off in their mailbox (with an eBay packing list attached), or still buy a label with tracking information (for CYA), Hrmmm...
You'll have no protection if you drop it off in their mailbox; at least not against an INR case.

You could always send a message to the buyer, let them know you live nearby and would be willing to complete the transaction in person... although you'd need to refund the buyer and take cash or some other form of payment (other then paypal) in person as paypal doesn't cover local pickup transactions.

Alright you guys I need some help. I got scammed. First time for me. The guy sent me a box of clothes instead of the console.

Where do I start on getting my money back. Should I just start with opening a case and wait a few days before contacting eBay and Paypal?

Did you open with eBay or PayPal?

I'm guessing the seller stalled long enough to transfer the funds into his bank account? Anyways if you open the case correctly (SNAD is correct option; INR is wrong option) you shouldn't have any problems it just may take a little longer to get your funds then you'd like

Yep, just noticed this yesterday. It was driving me nuts because I had a buyer that bought two of my items and I had to manually click each item to make sure it was the same buyer instead of the name being listed under the item like usual.

eBay does this all the time. They change the layout of stuff for no reason and it usually just makes it harder to do stuff.
You can change it under the edit menu, then choose customize, then choose "make my own" options or whatever the thing is and change it the way you want it.

Did you open with eBay or PayPal?

I'm guessing the seller stalled long enough to transfer the funds into his bank account? Anyways if you open the case correctly (SNAD is correct option; INR is wrong option) you shouldn't have any problems it just may take a little longer to get your funds then you'd like
I did it with eBay. Also I just found the option to attach pics in a case. Went ahead and uploaded some pictures on there.

You'll have no protection if you drop it off in their mailbox; at least not against an INR case.

You could always send a message to the buyer, let them know you live nearby and would be willing to complete the transaction in person... although you'd need to refund the buyer and take cash or some other form of payment (other then paypal) in person as paypal doesn't cover local pickup transactions.
Yeah, too much work really, though I do know that eBay offers local pick up (usually for larger items). It was a cheap filler game I sold anyways, I was just debating on being even cheaper (and faster for the customer).

So I sold something on eBay to a member that lives right on my way home from work. Do I save the $2 and drop it off in their mailbox (with an eBay packing list attached), or still buy a label with tracking information (for CYA), Hrmmm...
I'd just ship it and not risk it. I sold a lego set recently to someone that lives near where I do grocery shopping, but I still sent it. Shipping, cause it was so close, was only like $7.

@Ferrari Racer, I don't know if you want to take it as far as making a police report in the city the seller sent the item from or lives. I don't know if you want to post any particulars around the seller here but I'm sure a lot of these internet detectives could find some more dirt.

I feel your frustration too! What console was it?

Well these is a board on here for reporting scammers so I will go ahead and put that info up.

It was a Xbox One for $350. I had a feeling it was too good to be true, but he has had a lot of positive feedback lately and only got one negative a few months ago because he sold a used game he described as new so I thought it was worth the risk. Plus eBay/Paypal seems to be pretty pro buyer.

Will the police actually do anything? Not sure if I wanna bother, I just want my money back.

I am studying to be a law enforcement officer. The police will take a report, but I assure you that it will go no further than that. Most of the footwork will have to be done through you by way of eBay/PayPal. Sorry for your issues, too many good people are taken advantage of in this world, exactly why I want to go into law enforcement.

A police report case id is really really really important and you get scammed by a buyer. It is usually the only way to get eBay/PayPal to take you seriously and return the funds.

For example if you sell a 3DS and the buyer claims something is wrong and returns a brick before you'd even be able to contact eBay he'd already have the funds returned to him (it happens automatically once the tracking shows the item was returned). At that point you will not get the funds back without a police report case ID.

I know police have bigger and better things to do but they are required to at least hear you out and take the report. The good thing is if someone is dumb enough to scam you using the USPS it then constitutes mail fraud and you can file a report with the postal inspector online. If they've been reported for this before chances are good they'll take it seriously.

^Yeah they did use USPS. They also sold 2 other Xbox Ones so they are bound to get more complaints.

I've never done a police report before. Do I just go to my local station, and bring my info and sellers info? Also how do I show the report to Paypal?

The best thing you can do is call your local police department and request that you meet with one of their detectives concerning you issues. Make sure that you have everything on hand and get all of the materials you need to present to eBay and paypal. You will have to present the case ID and information to paypal through the case that you have opened. There is generally a way to update case information and provide paperwork to paypal. If not, you can call them and discuss it with a real person.

^Yeah they did use USPS. They also sold 2 other Xbox Ones so they are bound to get more complaints.

I've never done a police report before. Do I just go to my local station, and bring my info and sellers info? Also how do I show the report to Paypal?
Your local police department should have a front desk number, be sure to utilize that as this situation does not qualify as an "emergency."

I would first talk to the police and then have the detective help guide you through what someone in this situation would normally do, good luck!

Well, ebay's buyer protection policy says "Get what you ordered or get your money back. Guaranteed." So you didn't get what you ordered, you should be "guaranteed" to get your money back or they are false advertising their own policies.

I went ahead and stopped by my local police station since it was 5 min away. They gave me a Civil Investigation report. I'm gonna wait first to see what Paypal and eBay tell me. The man working at the front desk at the police station said he highly recommended going to Paypal first since they have fraud protection.

That sucks man. What is the scammers ebay name. So no one else from CAG will get scammed from him.

bread's done
Back