The General eBay Rant Thread

Thanks.

Why would someone with relatively good feedback commit account suicide all of a sudden? Did he think he could actually get away with that?
It's happened recently. I bought a rare item from this one seller. He went out of his way to package it with care and was very communicative on ebay. I saved him as a favorite seller. Went back recently to check if he had any more rare games and his account was deleted. Checked his feedback history and his last 10 feedbacks were all people claiming they got ripped off.

Apparently he sold a bunch of rare games and never mailed them out. Gave out fake tracking info. He had a perfect feedback of a few hundred up to that point too.

Can you open two cases for the same item?

A buyer bought an item last night from me and immediately sent a message apologizing and asked me to cancel the order. So I sent him a cancellation request and he has not responded. In case he goes MIA, I'm hoping I can also open a non-paying bidder case for the same item, because if the buyer never comes back, I'll have to wait 30 days for this case to expire and by then I won't be able to open a non-paying bidder case. Essentially costing me money for nothing.

A buyer bought an item last night from me and immediately sent a message apologizing and asked me to cancel the order. So I sent him a cancellation request and he has not responded. In case he goes MIA, I'm hoping I can also open a non-paying bidder case for the same item, because if the buyer never comes back, I'll have to wait 30 days for this case to expire and by then I won't be able to open a non-paying bidder case. Essentially costing me money for nothing.
If he doesn't respond, then within 7 days, you'll be able to close the case yourself. AND your FVF will be refunded to you.

iirc, you can't. Once you submit it as a cancellation, you can no longer open an unpaid buyer case. I try to open unpaid buyer cases when I can so that I can "punish" the flakes.

Wtf? That guy who scammed me got a positive feedback today from a hard drive he sold and the buyer said that the item was damaged but received a refund. Hmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! I just got a full refund! Strange though. I wonder if he really got hacked, since he refunded the guy I mentioned on my last post. He didn't say anything as to why he did it.

Got an email from some guy who bought my Guitar Hero guitar, says he played it a few hours yesterday and it worked fine. Today hes saying he wants a refund because apparently the up strum opens and closes the Xbox menu............Ive never heard of this problem before. It worked just fine for me, he only had 12 feedback, he paid $71 for the thing which I thought was a lot, he asked if Id wait about a week till he got paid, then the next day after he pays he thinks his box shouldve been there already.....Would you guys refund this dude? I had "No Returns" marked in my listing as well. 

Maybe he is honest, and made a mistake, and some kid at the salvation army is opening a brand new Xbox One right now.
Probably not, the guy obviously sold it at a loss($350). Probably thought instead of canceling it due to selling so low, he just sent out something else to pass off as a Xbox One in hopes he can get the money deposited before the buyer notices the switch. But he's got to have disputes with Paypal by now(since there's mention of him sending a damaged HDD), so might've decided to refund to save the trouble.

I was being partly facetious, but you'd figure he'd have a ton of complaints and be shutdown by now. ebay usually moves fast with that stuff.

Got an email from some guy who bought my Guitar Hero guitar, says he played it a few hours yesterday and it worked fine. Today hes saying he wants a refund because apparently the up strum opens and closes the Xbox menu............Ive never heard of this problem before. It worked just fine for me, he only had 12 feedback, he paid $71 for the thing which I thought was a lot, he asked if Id wait about a week till he got paid, then the next day after he pays he thinks his box shouldve been there already.....Would you guys refund this dude? I had "No Returns" marked in my listing as well.
Did you have free shipping, or was it as separate charge? I usually do free ship on my listings now, but if you did charge for it, then the most I would offer is that you would refund the product price (less the shipping), and he would have to pay the return shipping costs as well. He already stated it worked fine, so if that was messaged through eBay, you have proof it worked as advertised.

By having him foot the shipping costs it will make him rethink the return. I know $71 is alot of money, and I would want a refund too if it was a legitimate problem, but for now I say call his bluff and see how it pans out.

I would advise the same on seeing how it plays out. Don't blow the guy off, but at the same time, don't be so quick to apologize and accept a return. Just keep the discussion going to show you are working with them.

I actually also had a situation with a guitar hero guitar I sold about a year ago. My problem was that I sold a Wii Les Paul guitar I knew was fully functional (and barely even played) but the buyer came back and said one of the keys wouldn't register on the game. Mind you, this was supposedly a "gift" they purchased and I hadn't gotten any messages about this until about 2 weeks after it was delivered.

I didn't call them a liar, but I offered any help and advice I could find to get it to work for them (cleaning tips, etc.). I just tried to continue to help them get their guitar to work without offering to refund (esp. since the shipping costs on those are killer). After a few messages were exchanged, the buyer stopped responding and never opened a case or left me a negative feedback. That leads me to believe they were BS'ing and were hoping to get it for free, or at a discount of what they paid.

Is there an official method to go through a refund request? 

I've processed a return just recently and did not have any problems, but the buyer and I took care of the return outside of eBay.  The buyer mailed me the game and I just refunded his Paypal account.  But the way we did it was that he did not upload any tracking information of a return.  I just refunded him once I received my item. 

Just wondering for reference next time should I opt to do things the way they are supposed to be handled.  I've rarely had to go through returns myself. 

It was free shipping so maybe thats why he did bid more, thats usually the case with most of my auctions. I do No Returns because I feel like some people would break an item just to screw someone over. I clean and test almost everything I sell.........except sealed stuff which is assumed to work. 

I emailed him back and told him to check for stuck buttons, try new batteries, and maybe resync it with the Xbox. But I did mention being suspicious since he only had 12 feedback, his Paypal was "Unregistered" (his address was confirmed though), how he took a week to pay then asked if it had been shipped the next day because Ebay had some estimated delivery date as that day,  Ive never heard of that problem with those guitars, and it worked just fine for me. I havent heard back from him yet today......we shall see! 

I hate when I have a listing of something that has multiple quantities, and one buyer will buy like 3 of the things and then only pay for one of them.

They are probably morons that don't know how to place a bid, or if you purchase an item, where it goes on your ebay page, so they just keep buying them over and over.

I don't even bother waiting the 8 days to relist anymore(4 for non-paying bidder, and another 4 for closing the case). I just relist, and if by blind luck, they pay for the other ones, I'll just say "you waited too long, sorry" and if I get a negative I get a negative. I'm not going to let other's incompetence delay what I want to sell.

Similar thing happened to me back when Amazon had the Catherine CEs on sale. I bought two. One person bid on two of them and only paid for one. So I messaged them and asked them if they meant to bid on two and they didn't respond after a couple days. So I just relisted it. Someone else bought it right away and then I filed a non-paying bidder case for the other one. Well on the last day of the LAST HOUR they paid for it. I just turned around and immediately refunded them the money. Never got a negative for it.

I've got a question, hoping some of you can give me some insight and opinions on it.

So I do a pretty decent amount of selling on eBay every month (maybe around 150-200 items, $1500 in sales give or take). I've reached power seller and top-rated status and have been for a while now. Every once in a while eBay will send me messages about the top rated seller discount, which gives you 20% off on final value fees. However, to get this you have to offer 14-day returns with money back. I've really been considering taking advantage of this, since it's a nice chunk of savings. But I'm worried about people basically renting the items I sell and returning them after 10 days or whatever.

So do any of you offer the 14 day money back returns, and if so, what are your experiences with it so far? Thanks for any input on this.

I have always offered returns and have only done a handful of them.

I think you also have to offer 1-day handling and free shipping to get the discount.

I already offer 1 day handling so good with that. I didn't see anything about free shipping, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Yep, you need to do all three. When I somehow made power seller for two years, I offered whatever they said, and never had to deal with a return. I think I'm mostly lucky on ebay.

Cool, well maybe I'll have to give it a shot and see how it goes for a while. I guess with the free shipping it's still worth it, seeing as how much you save in FVF plus generally items with free shipping usually seem to go for more. Thanks.

Just root through your junk and find some inexpensive things that you really don't care about and are cheap as shit to ship and sell that stuff while offering all that stuff to get your power level. Easiest way to make some money and not worry about being burned.

Cool, well maybe I'll have to give it a shot and see how it goes for a while. I guess with the free shipping it's still worth it, seeing as how much you save in FVF plus generally items with free shipping usually seem to go for more. Thanks.
You don't get the TRS 20% discount on all your items; only on complete transactions in which the listing has 1-day handling, 14-day returns, free shipping AND you upload tracking within the 1-business day.

If you have the listing correct but it takes you two days to upload tracking you won't get the discount.

Have a 14 day policy isn't going to cause people to rent items... if they want to return it bad enough they'll just open a SNAD. In fact by having a 14 day return policy you may save yourself a SNAD or two---just make sure you select the "buyer pays return shipping" option

Cant the buyer just say the Beta code doesnt work and then Ebay will give them a refund since they love to please Buyers???
Yes, but more because you aren't supposed to sell digital goods not wholy owned by you on ebay. And you probably aren't supposed to sell beta codes on top of that. And ebay will likely flag your account if the buyer complains for any reason. But frankly, that really is on the seller, and not because they're "fleabay."

Ugh, can't believe that within the last three weeks, I had to open three cancel transaction cases. One buyer made a mistake and was actually looking for a different Legend of Zelda game. He actually paid for the item so I had to learn how to do a refund. The other two got impatient with the auction that they bought another of the same item before it ended; one bought one minutes after making a bid and the other bought another 2.5 days after making a bid and on the morning of the last day of the auction. Neither of those impatient buyers bothered to contact me, so I had to contact them. First one I contacted after two days, got a reply, opened a case which he didn't bother to respond for at least a week, so I cancelled it by myself. The other one I bothered to contact after four days, at least he accepted the cancel transaction case within twenty minutes. Glad I'm about done with the stuff I want to sell.

Crap like that is why I tried to get out of the selling business months ago and makes me glad I was able to unload all my old stuff with almost no issues. I haven't sold anything since October and probably won't until after winter as I have a few new things I've stumbled across that I could sell.

So this is only somewhat on topic but are there starting to be a lot of counterfeit Blu Rays out there like there always have been for DVDs? Looking for some Pixar movies I don't have (which really means someone kept pushing me after I said I don't lend movies/games and either never saw the movie again or it came back with their child having eaten >50% of the cover art... (so I should bill them for the replacement right?)) and I saw many movies that had cover art the movies never came with, some were the movie poster for the theatrical release and were marked as New/Sealed.

So this is only somewhat on topic but are there starting to be a lot of counterfeit Blu Rays out there like there always have been for DVDs? Looking for some Pixar movies I don't have (which really means someone kept pushing me after I said I don't lend movies/games and either never saw the movie again or it came back with their child having eaten >50% of the cover art... (so I should bill them for the replacement right?)) and I saw many movies that had cover art the movies never came with, some were the movie poster for the theatrical release and were marked as New/Sealed.
It's not as rampant yet as the DVD bootlegs are, probably due to not everyone having access to BR burners. But still annoying that they're starting to appear on Ebay(haven't ran into any on Amazon yet).

It's not as rampant yet as the DVD bootlegs are, probably due to not everyone having access to BR burners. But still annoying that they're starting to appear on Ebay(haven't ran into any on Amazon yet).
It's so aggravating, before Blus I pretty much stopped buying DVDs on eBay after getting so many in a row that were bootlegs. There were also a bunch of Disney/Pixar ones back then that would come with a hole punch through the UPC that I am guessing came from some kind of club and I am far too OCD for that.

The time it takes to open a case or return a bootleg DVD was a lot of times not worth it, pay $5 for the movie in the first place and then half an hour opening and responding to cases.

It's so aggravating, before Blus I pretty much stopped buying DVDs on eBay after getting so many in a row that were bootlegs. There were also a bunch of Disney/Pixar ones back then that would come with a hole punch through the UPC that I am guessing came from some kind of club and I am far too OCD for that.

The time it takes to open a case or return a bootleg DVD was a lot of times not worth it, pay $5 for the movie in the first place and then half an hour opening and responding to cases.
just contact the seller first or look for one that uses actual pictures.

I don't blind buy anything from eBay anymore as I always end up disappointed

Question for you all:

Sold a Neo Geo Pocket Color that the buyer is saying is defective.  I checked it before sending it out, so it may have happened while shipping, which happens.  I told them to return it and I'd refund them.  I used the form on ebay to start the refund process after checking my return address, but they said that they can't find the return address.  Do I need to give it to them separately, or should they now have access to it?  If I do give it to them separately even though they have access, would I lose any protection I might have?

Question for you all:

Sold a Neo Geo Pocket Color that the buyer is saying is defective. I checked it before sending it out, so it may have happened while shipping, which happens. I told them to return it and I'd refund them. I used the form on ebay to start the refund process after checking my return address, but they said that they can't find the return address. Do I need to give it to them separately, or should they now have access to it? If I do give it to them separately even though they have access, would I lose any protection I might have?
It was my understanding that the buyer needed to open up a case in eBay first, not the seller. See if he can open up a case, provide him this link to review the process. Good for you to look up on as well so you're informed.

Also, it is important to message only through eBay, that way the whole exchange is documented on their side as well, in case you need to fall back on that.

It was my understanding that the buyer needed to open up a case in eBay first, not the seller. See if he can open up a case, provide him this link to review the process. Good for you to look up on as well so you're informed.

Also, it is important to message only through eBay, that way the whole exchange is documented on their side as well, in case you need to fall back on that.
He opened a case and I responded to that using the option to allow a return, and then he later emailed me outside of ebay, apparently using my paypal email, saying that he didn't get the address. I'll message him back on ebay with the address, I suppose.

I thought that for returns through eBay buyer protection program, eBay creates a label for the buyer with the original return address, though I myself have not processed or started a return, so I'm not sure on that.  With something like the NGPC I'd contact eBay CS to make sure it is handled through the proper channels.

The PayPal card you can get, the one that's linked to your PayPal account - does that use funds from your bank account if there isn't any balance? Assuming of course your PayPal and bank account are linked? I just sold something on ebay and could not find my PayPal card and now I don't know whether I need to cancel things or not. I have not used that card since December so it's potentially been lost for 2 months asI just now discovered. (That's the last time I sold on ebay and used it)

The PayPal card you can get, the one that's linked to your PayPal account - does that use funds from your bank account if there isn't any balance? Assuming of course your PayPal and bank account are linked? I just sold something on ebay and could not find my PayPal card and now I don't know whether I need to cancel things or not. I have not used that card since December so it's potentially been lost for 2 months asI just now discovered. (That's the last time I sold on ebay and used it)
I think it only draws from your bank account if you specifically add that as a backup funding source for the card.

A friend of mine had a $5,000 selling limit per month on ebay. For some reason today it changed and now says $4,999.99. Any idea what that is about?

A friend of mine had a $5,000 selling limit per month on ebay. For some reason today it changed and now says $4,999.99. Any idea what that is about?
For tax purposes, maybe? I think they have to provide tax forms for people who sell $5,000 in some states, or something. The $4999.99 would put your friend under.

I got two messages from the seller I won an xbone from and the are strange.

Go back to se.net and make a thread, or you will be reported.

Also, it would be better if you did not purchase this xbox. Just post my previous message without a username to se.net. This was a bad attempt, you are not the only one.

What should I do? He has 100% feedback.

bread's done
Back