The General eBay Rant Thread

I typically go by feedback. If they are well-established, they are probably telling the truth. No guarantee, but probably.

If not, I'd say they are probably lying. Asking for half off makes no sense, and carts don't magically just break within a couple days unless they were physically damaged or were exposed to some extreme and I mean extreme weather conditions, which is unlikely.

I'd say he is probably lying. I'd push a little further and ask him why he would want half off if the game doesn't work?

But then again, if the game does work, how does it benefit him to send it back unless 1) he has buyer's remose -- check and see if he bought a similar item from another seller if you can through his feedback, or 2) is going to send you back something else that weighs similarly to try to rip you off.

I don't know, it's your call. Me personally, if I was confident in it working, I would prod with some questions and try to get a feel for the guy. By grammar, you can probably tell if they are adult or child. If child, they are probably an idiot or a scammer. Then depending on the read I get from them, I'd either give them a refund without paying for shipping, or tell them to fuck off and take the negative. I stopped obsessing about feedback long ago. I decided a while back I'm going to start doing things my way and I'm perfectly fine with getting banned if it comes to it. I know someone that was banned like 4 times from ebay and keeps finding a way to get back.
I straight up asked him why would he want to keep a defective cartridge for half the cost. It doesn't make sense. They didn't even answer that - only saying they will take a half refund.

They have over 100+ feedback and that seems to be growing quick each day. It probably grew about 15-20 in the last couple of days. I tried to review their feedback/purchase history, but the feedback profile is set to private - so given the situation, that seems like a red flag to me. Another strange thing that I didn't find to be a big deal at the time was that the name I shipped two was actually missing 1 letter from both the first and last name than the paypal payment contained. I've shipped numerous items with completely different names on the two and never had an issue before.

I just said fuck it and I've reported them to ebay for feedback extortion. I believe even just mentioning negative feedback can be construed as extortion. The insistence of a partial refund clearly shows that they want to keep the item (and that it works!), just not for the price they paid me for it.

I never try to condemn buyers, because weird stuff happens sometimes, and if it happened to me and a cart was broken, I'd be annoyed. But I also have to take logic into account too, and look at it from the seller's perspective. It's highly unlikely the cart just wouldn't work.

That's always been an annoyance of mine. "Yeah, it doesn't work." It's like uhhh.. I kept in in perfect condition, why would it randomly not work? Very few items are defective and very few break. It's such a small amount. It does happen, but looking at the odds, unless it had physical damage, I just don't see it not working, but it's impossible for you to know either way.

Ask him what the problem is with it not working. See if it sounds legit. The less descriptive the answer, the more suspicious I get. "I dunno dude, it just doesn't work" to me is annoying.

These are the last two pictures in that auction.

$_12.JPG

$_57.JPG

Classic. And by classic, I mean this guy needs to lose a few fingers. So that he can't type crap like this anymore.

These are the last two pictures in that auction.

$_12.JPG

$_57.JPG

Classic. And by classic, I mean this guy needs to lose a few fingers. So that he can't type crap like this anymore.
I could be wrong, but I think the guy screwed himself by showing pictures and having a description of the actual system, and neatly tucking in the hand drawn crap in there. While it says at the very end that it's just for the drawing, it's clearly obvious deception. The title also reinforces the description, by stating console bundle.

It's shitty, but at least this "seller" was too stupid to properly word it to get away with it.

I never try to condemn buyers, because weird stuff happens sometimes, and if it happened to me and a cart was broken, I'd be annoyed. But I also have to take logic into account too, and look at it from the seller's perspective. It's highly unlikely the cart just wouldn't work.

That's always been an annoyance of mine. "Yeah, it doesn't work." It's like uhhh.. I kept in in perfect condition, why would it randomly not work? Very few items are defective and very few break. It's such a small amount. It does happen, but looking at the odds, unless it had physical damage, I just don't see it not working, but it's impossible for you to know either way.

Ask him what the problem is with it not working. See if it sounds legit. The less descriptive the answer, the more suspicious I get. "I dunno dude, it just doesn't work" to me is annoying.
I totally agree. I have been able to work out legitimate issues with a few buyers before and they were helpful through the process and not simply demanding partial refunds with no explanation or photo evidence. I genuinely would be willing to help him out if he did more than just keep asking for money without offering any other help or evidence that it's damaged/doesn't work. What really makes it suspicious is the insistence of keeping it with partial refund over returning it.

Stuff like that has always been not allowed by eBay. I believe the British guy that bought the fake Xbox One at least had that auction listed it as NO SYSTEM INCLUDED or something. That one totally misrepresents itself. Advertises as a Destiny bundle, and has pictures of a Destiny bundle before his drawings. He's going to be banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a weird problem. Today I got a package sent to me that I did not order and is not on my purchase history. After looking up the item number I find out that someone made an account using my name as the username and my address as their location. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Wow, just got an email from someone who bought my PS3. They say it doesnt read any discs and they want a full refund plus $17 to ship it back..........thats funny because it worked for the 2 whole games of Madden 25, 2 hrs of Soul Calibur IV, and the Blu Ray I tested on it before I boxed it up! Cant say I expected much from someone with 1 Feedback! Told them I dont except returns (thats is all my listings btw) because I clean and test everything before mailing it out but if they mail it back I will give a refund not including shipping because the item was Free Shipping in the first place! I always cringe when people with less than 10 Feedback buy my stuff!! Im sure Ebay will side with them if they complain though, theyre always on their knees pleasing the buyers even if Ive been on there 8 years and the buyers been on there maybe 1 year. 

I hope you took a pic of the PS3's serial number. I do that with my consoles to prevent scammers who return a different model.

By email do you mean an actual email or eBay message?

It was an Ebay message. And this was actually the first time Ive taken a pic of the serial number! Will make sure to do that from now on. I havent heard back from them since. 

I wouldn't give them their money back. If ebay takes it back, so be it. They are full of shit. PS3's don't just break overnight unless physically damaged.

Bleh - the people on eBay.

Sold a game and mailed it the end of the June. They've had it now for all of July and August. They want their money back saying it stops working after they've only played it for an hour.

I think I'm just going to ignore this message because it is stupid. I'm not going to give them a refund for something they bought 58 days ago.

I think I'd rather just eat the stupid negative feedback. My guess is the person has finished the game (Red Dead) and now wants to return it or someone gave him some scratched up copy and he wants to get his like 10 or so bucks back by mailing that to me.

Between eBay and Amazon, I've been having more issues with Amazon customers lately.

Quick question. Sold a record a few days ago. When I went to buy shipping, the user came up NARU, but the record is still in my "awaiting shipment" category. I'm not sending it, but also not sure if there's anything else I should do?

Sold a phone and the tracking number shows "delivery status not updated. I contacted the buyer and he said the phone was delivered but tracking number hasn't been updated and still stuck in "delivery status not updated". Can he open a case against me? Anything I can do?

Sold a phone and the tracking number shows "delivery status not updated. I contacted the buyer and he said the phone was delivered but tracking number hasn't been updated and still stuck in "delivery status not updated". Can he open a case against me? Anything I can do?
If he said it's delivered already, why would you bother worrying?

The guy that made a feedback threat at me(that I reported him for), because he wanted a instant refund after I received the returned item in the mail. So, he finally messaged me back 26 days later saying that he was sorry for the delay and would ship it back tomorrow.

247 - I wouldn't worry about them claiming INR if they told you they got it through ebay messages. They can of course still file SNAD.

I understand (and know too well) the apprehension of the tracking not saying delivered, but I also get worried about alerting the buyer of that fact. Because there are so many unscrupulous buyers, they could see it as a way of just claiming INR and then getting the item for free. By asking them if they received it, it really puts you at the mercy of the honesty of a buyer who you will most likely never see or speak to.

If he said it's delivered already, why would you bother worrying?
My guess is because the buyer could still technically file an INR since the tracking does not explicitly say "delivered".

Though because the buyer already confirmed it was delivered, I wouldn't think that they would be silly enough to pull that kind of stunt - especially If they used ebay messages.

Yea ebay usually looks at the tracking number to see if the item was delivered when a case is opened. But like you said the buyer already confirmed he recieved the item through ebay messages and they can look at that when they review the case.

Signature confirmation just causes more problems, main reason why I don't like selling $250+ items on ebay.

Dude didnt even say anything and I get home from work and see the box I mailed out with my Ebay username on it. He actually mailed it back! Yeah looks like it doesnt read discs ..........OH WAIT! I think the loose piece of plastic of whatever is inside got in the way of the disc being read. I shook it back into the corner of the system and it appears to work just fine. (this rattling piece was mentioned in the auction BTW)

Dang I just can't get a break with ebay lately. My copy of diablo 3 came and the serial key was used. It specifically said that it wasn't, and now the guy wants me to pay to ship it back. He ought to have to send me a gift code for the game. :(

This isn't an ebay rant but it has to do with it, and is mostly a complaint about the USPS.  I got a complaint from someone today that their item had not arrived for over 2 weeks.  They bought a game from me and I shipped it out using First Class about 3 hours after purchase.  I looked at the tracking number and USPS still had it at my local facility so I called them up asking why they hadn't shipped the package.  Their response? "Oh we forgot.  Sorry, we will ship it right away."  God dammit.  I hope the buyer responds to my message and understands. :|

Yea ebay usually looks at the tracking number to see if the item was delivered when a case is opened. But like you said the buyer already confirmed he recieved the item through ebay messages and they can look at that when they review the case.

Signature confirmation just causes more problems, main reason why I don't like selling $250+ items on ebay.
Signature confirmation doesn't cause more problems. If the package is signed for, you are covered on your end no matter what. It's their responsibility to have someone trustworthy to sign for it. Once signed, that's it. Rest is on them.

Bleh - the people on eBay.

Sold a game and mailed it the end of the June. They've had it now for all of July and August. They want their money back saying it stops working after they've only played it for an hour.

I think I'm just going to ignore this message because it is stupid. I'm not going to give them a refund for something they bought 58 days ago.

I think I'd rather just eat the stupid negative feedback. My guess is the person has finished the game (Red Dead) and now wants to return it or someone gave him some scratched up copy and he wants to get his like 10 or so bucks back by mailing that to me.
Games don't stop working after playing an hour. I like how he has such a concrete amount of time, too. Why not 45 minutes? Why not 30 minutes? It just "stops working" after an hour. Uh... no. They either work or don't work. I mean, games can freeze at certain points in the game with damage, but if the game was damaged by him, then that's on him.

Definitely don't take it back.

Signature confirmation doesn't cause more problems. If the package is signed for, you are covered on your end no matter what. It's their responsibility to have someone trustworthy to sign for it. Once signed, that's it. Rest is on them.
It does when you're buyer works 9-5 and isn't home and can't get to a post office.

I would never use signature confirmation unless I had to to be protected... and as of a month or two ago the threshold was increased to $750 for both eBay and PayPal.

I mean USPS Express Mail (domestic) includes Signature Confirmation free of charge and most always I opt out if I can remember to before printing the label.

If no one is there to sign for the package, eBay leaves the notice or whatever and usually the person has to go down to the post office to pick it up, and theoretically, sign for it. I've had it twice now where the buyer wasn't home during mail delivery time, so they had to go to the post office to pick it up, and of course USPS never updated the tracking or emailed me a copy of the signature as I requested. Only one time did eBay actually update the online information propery.

Now, these were honest buyers so they didn't pull anything, but if they had filed an INR? Then I have to go through the trouble of calling the buyer's local post office and demand they send me proof that the item was picked up and signed for. And I have no idea if that proof even exists if they didn't upload it online.

Plus there's the grand question of what if the buyer just decides to never go to the post office and the package is kicked back to you? Then there's a whole host of new problems.

The only thing Signature Confirmation does is disallow the carrier to leave the box at the door, so the buyer can't claim it was stolen even if it was marked delivered. How often do people really get "It was stolen off my porch even though it was marked delivered" claims versus all the other types of scamming and problems? It doesn't seem like it's a very common issue.

Dude didnt even say anything and I get home from work and see the box I mailed out with my Ebay username on it. He actually mailed it back! Yeah looks like it doesnt read discs ..........OH WAIT! I think the loose piece of plastic of whatever is inside got in the way of the disc being read. I shook it back into the corner of the system and it appears to work just fine. (this rattling piece was mentioned in the auction BTW)
I have a hard time understanding the tone you're trying to take here just via text. But if you're knowingly selling a console with something loose in it and you mention it in the auction description, that's great. Did you say something like "loose plastic piece inside but console works 100% fine?" But if it gets to the buyer and it doesn't work, that's totally on you. In fact if you were going to be completely honest and give full disclosure, when (if) you relist the console, you should explicitly mention "Loose plastic inside may prevent discs from being read unless you shake the plastic loose." And there's no telling what that loose object is doing to other components on the inside. I think most people would be hesitant to shake their consoles around, so I don't blame the buyer for not doing that since there's not exactly instructions that tell people to shake their consoles. Plus how was he or she supposed to know it was that loose plastic object messing up the disc reading and not another problem?

Given all of that, your outrage in your initial post seems pretty unjustified. The buyer didn't do anything wrong and you were ready to flip shit on him just because he only had 1 feedback, even though he's been more honest than some people with hundreds of feedback. I actually feel bad for the guy because now he's out the return shipping costs.

If no one is there to sign for the package, eBay leaves the notice or whatever and usually the person has to go down to the post office to pick it up, and theoretically, sign for it. I've had it twice now where the buyer wasn't home during mail delivery time, so they had to go to the post office to pick it up, and of course USPS never updated the tracking or emailed me a copy of the signature as I requested. Only one time did eBay actually update the online information propery.

Now, these were honest buyers so they didn't pull anything, but if they had filed an INR? Then I have to go through the trouble of calling the buyer's local post office and demand they send me proof that the item was picked up and signed for. And I have no idea if that proof even exists if they didn't upload it online.

Plus there's the grand question of what if the buyer just decides to never go to the post office and the package is kicked back to you? Then there's a whole host of new problems.

The only thing Signature Confirmation does is disallow the carrier to leave the box at the door, so the buyer can't claim it was stolen even if it was marked delivered. How often do people really get "It was stolen off my porch even though it was marked delivered" claims versus all the other types of scamming and problems? It doesn't seem like it's a very common issue.
Well, if I sell a very expensive item, I contact the buyer first and make sure to tell him to be there to sign for it and I wait for a response back. Every time I've done it, someone has signed for the package. I don't do it without letting them know first.

Alright I was kinda pissed off when I wrote that but everythings fine now.....so nobody else get their panties in a bunch! I refunded her money, left her Positive Feedback, and explained how I got it to work. She said something a long the lines of "ohh, was that all it took to fix it. Im sorry. We tried fixes from the internet for not reading discs and couldnt get it to work. We shook it a little but not very hard. Im glad you got it to work, hope you can sell it again. As far as my low feedback, we made an account in April and I dont buy much....Im not a scammer but I can believe you being suspicious. Ive heard some stories!". I wrote back and apologized and told her I just never had that plastic get in the way when I was playing so I didnt even think that was a possibility until I took it out of the box and plugged it in to test it. 

If I relist it Ill probably open the top and remove the piece so I wont have that problem again. In the auction I mentioned they could do that if they wanted to, thats before I actually knew it was causing discs to not be read. 

Yesterday, eBay sent out a $5 off $20 purchase coupon via the eBay app to select accounts that's good through Aug. 29th. I have multiple accounts and as an observation, the way eBay sends these out are via specific targeted accounts that have a limited purchase history. The account that makes a majority of my purchases receives an offer to earn extra eBay bucks instead. So I thought I'd share with you guys what I've been doing with these offers whenever they come up: if you receive the offer and don't have any planned use for the coupon, you can use this offers towards the purchase of an eBay gift card from the "giftcardmall" powerseller. Shipping is free so by purchasing a $25 gift card, you will be able to bank that $5 coupon into a gift card value for unrestricted use (essentially 20% off a $25 eBay gift card).

I live in CA and I usually receive my gift card within 1 week. By acting soon enough, since I have another account that has the same invite email, I just reuse my newly received $25 gift card towards another $25 gift card but this time saving $5 on the second purchase. So in the end, I spend $20 out of my Paypal account to end up with $30 in eBay gift cards ($5 leftover from my first gift card and $25 from my second purchase). Getting multiple offers from more than one account may be more of a stretch since out of the seldomly used purchasing accounts, only select accounts ever receive this offer. But the point is that at a minimum, gift cards are eligible to be used with this offer in case you guys weren't aware.

Yesterday, eBay sent out a $5 off $20 purchase coupon via the eBay app to select accounts that's good through Aug. 29th. I have multiple accounts and as an observation, the way eBay sends these out are via specific targeted accounts that have a limited purchase history. The account that makes a majority of my purchases receives an offer to earn extra eBay bucks instead. So I thought I'd share with you guys what I've been doing with these offers whenever they come up: if you get receive the offer and don't have any planned use for the coupon, you can use this offers towards the purchase of an eBay gift card from the "giftcardmall" powerseller. Shipping is free so by purchasing a $25 gift card, you will be able to bank that $5 coupon into a gift card value for unrestricted use (essentially 20% off a $25 eBay gift card).

I live in CA and I usually receive my gift card within 1 week. By acting soon enough, since I have another account that has the same invite email, I just reuse my newly received $25 gift card towards another $25 gift card but this time saving $5 on the second purchase. So in the end, I spend $20 out of my Paypal account to end up with $30 in eBay gift cards ($5 leftover from my first gift card and $25 from my second purchase). Getting multiple offers from more than one account may be more of a stretch since out of the seldomly used purchasing accounts, only select accounts ever receive this offer. But the point is that at a minimum, gift cards are eligible to be used with this offer in case you guys weren't aware.
Really? Hmm, didn't ever think of that. Thanks for the info.

Really? Hmm, didn't ever think of that. Thanks for the info.
Yup, sure does!

They sell a ton of eBay gift cards at face value and I suspect at least a portion of those sales are related to my method. Just bought one today without issue!

I should also explain in the small chance that it applies to anybody: eBay gift cards attach to the Paypal account you redeem them with. So if you have more than one Paypal account, be aware that the remaining funds leftover from your first purchase will always stay with the original Paypal account. For example, let's say I have two Paypal accounts (Paypal A and Paypal B). In this scenario, I may opt to use Paypal A to purchase my $25 gift card. With the mobile eBay offer, I'm only charged $20 against Paypal A. Once I receive my gift card in the next few days, in order to redeem the next $5 coupon I receive, I'll be required to log into a Paypal account (even if my gift card has more than enough to pay for the next purchase). So let's say in this case, I decide to log in with Paypal B. I would be charged $20 against the gift card I use (with $0 out of pocket for Paypal B), leaving $5 leftover in the gift card. This $5 would only be redeemable whenever I log into Paypal B for my next purchase. If I log into Paypal A for the next $5 coupon down the line, the gift card won't apply properly and Paypal A would be charged by default for whatever amount I attempted to use my remaining gift card amount for ($5 in this case).

The last piece of advice is that to redeem these, know that the coupons are not automatic as you'll need to make sure you select the coupon box on the mobile app during checkout.

Sorry if it's too much posting for a small deal offer but I like to be thorough where it makes sense. If you give out advice, it might as well be accurate.

Yesterday I purchased 2 hard drives. Today I find out they got removed by ebay. The problem is I've already paid for them. If I go to my paypal I see the payments haven't gone through yet and there is an option to cancel them. Should I cancel them or is there another procedure I need to go through on ebay first?

Buyers on eBay have been annoying me alot recently. Some of them are mind-numbingly stupid.

Sold a Lego set. In the auction I said as a bonus I will include a 2nd set, but this set is missing the minifigures. I wrote it in large type, bolded, and underlined. Saying that the mini-figures were missing.

I didn't mention the 2nd set in the title or anything. Just said in the description that I'll toss this in and how it is incomplete.

A week later I get a message. The 2nd set didn't have the minifigures. Send them immediately! I need them right away!!

I wrote back just copying and pasting from the description saying that I can't sorry. I haven't heard back in about a 2 weeks.

Then today a similar thing. Person buy something and in the description I bold, large type, and underline something. Before mailing it out I decide to just double check that they actually read it and the person responds.

"Yes, this is a problem. I appreciate you clarifying this situation however it would have been better if you had clarified before I paid"

I wrote back saying it was in the description and copy and paste directly from it. I told them that maybe it is better if we just cancel it.

I don't get what are with some of the people on eBay. I'm usually fine with ebay stuff, but these two people recently just annoyed me because they can't even read a 5 line description.

Buyers on eBay have been annoying me alot recently. Some of them are mind-numbingly stupid.

Sold a Lego set. In the auction I said as a bonus I will include a 2nd set, but this set is missing the minifigures. I wrote it in large type, bolded, and underlined. Saying that the mini-figures were missing.

I didn't mention the 2nd set in the title or anything. Just said in the description that I'll toss this in and how it is incomplete.

A week later I get a message. The 2nd set didn't have the minifigures. Send them immediately! I need them right away!!

I wrote back just copying and pasting from the description saying that I can't sorry. I haven't heard back in about a 2 weeks.

Then today a similar thing. Person buy something and in the description I bold, large type, and underline something. Before mailing it out I decide to just double check that they actually read it and the person responds.

"Yes, this is a problem. I appreciate you clarifying this situation however it would have been better if you had clarified before I paid"

I wrote back saying it was in the description and copy and paste directly from it. I told them that maybe it is better if we just cancel it.

I don't get what are with some of the people on eBay. I'm usually fine with ebay stuff, but these two people recently just annoyed me because they can't even read a 5 line description.
It's due to the increase in mobile buying. Guaranteed.

More idiots buying things without paying attention to the description (it's not shown on a mobile device unless you click the "description" tab) and only going by the title, subtitle and pictures or first few sentences of the description.

I sold a replacement case the other day and the guy messages me saying

"I only got the case, where's the game?" 

lmao kill yourself faggot

Responded promptly and never responded back.

Hopefully nothing happens it's been weeks. :)

I got spammed on ebay messages from a buyer for a game I'm selling. Logged in and saw 6 new messages all from the same guy, which is unusual.

He's like "Hello, why am I blocked from buying your items?????"

"Hello??????????"

"Where are you?????????"

"Please unblock me so I can buy.. thx!"

I have pre-set blocks for buyers with strikes, so he probably falls in that list.

Ugh.  I picked up a Galaxy S5 the other day and BBY wouldn't take my Note because of the battery condition, so I threw it up on eBay for a 1 day auction as "working, no battery" blah blah blah.  

Bidding went smooth, and it was sniped at the last second by someone who wasn't participating in the bidding war.  We're going on 48 hours later, still no payment, no contact from the buyer.  I was hoping for a quick payment, since I had to pay out cash on the phone since they wouldn't take the old one in trade.

On plus the side, the buyer has almost 40 positive, with several in the past two weeks.  But it's pretty irritating...  Sometimes I think eBay should require a payment method to be on file that is charged upon winning the auction.  That would eliminate a lot of frustration and even more non-payments.

End of rant...

Ugh. I picked up a Galaxy S5 the other day and BBY wouldn't take my Note because of the battery condition, so I threw it up on eBay for a 1 day auction as "working, no battery" blah blah blah.

Bidding went smooth, and it was sniped at the last second by someone who wasn't participating in the bidding war. We're going on 48 hours later, still no payment, no contact from the buyer. I was hoping for a quick payment, since I had to pay out cash on the phone since they wouldn't take the old one in trade.

On plus the side, the buyer has almost 40 positive, with several in the past two weeks. But it's pretty irritating... Sometimes I think eBay should require a payment method to be on file that is charged upon winning the auction. That would eliminate a lot of frustration and even more non-payments.

End of rant...
I agree entirely. I had an auction a few months ago that ended at a pretty nice price. Two weeks later, I had sent two or three invoices and several emails asking (kindly) how I can help expedite their payment. After no response I finally had to do a NPB strike to get my fees back. About a month later I got an email from the buyer apologizing and stating they forgot they had bid on anything and hadn't been paying attention.

Two weeks? How generous. I have mine set to automatically open an unpaid item case after two days (although 90% of the time, I do BIN with immediate payment required, so I usually don't have to deal with that anyway).

Is there a faster way to get cash out of your paypal account? I'm waiting on a refund that will take 3-4 and then to transfer to my bank account it takes another 3-4 days.

Is there a faster way to get cash out of your paypal account? I'm waiting on a refund that will take 3-4 and then to transfer to my bank account it takes another 3-4 days.
Paypal Debit card? I have a business debit that I use for everything, that draws from my bank account, so for me it doesn't matter if it even goes back into my bank account. Using the card pulls from the paypal account first and then the checking account.

Two weeks? How generous. I have mine set to automatically open an unpaid item case after two days (although 90% of the time, I do BIN with immediate payment required, so I usually don't have to deal with that anyway).
That's what I was thinking. After two weeks, I'd be pulling my hair out.

No such thing as a 2 day unpaid item case.

bread's done
Back