The General eBay Rant Thread

He intimated he was going to give me a negative. If he insisted on a 50% discount, I would have let him, but for $5 I was fine with the trade off.
I see. That's most unfortunate. Put him on your blocked bidders/buyers list so that he can't buy from you ever again. With the stunt he pulled, I doubt he would, but hey, some people are stupid. And post his username here so that we know who it is to avoid.

shadow, if he was using feedback as extortion, I would have called his bluff. eBay is supposed to not tolerate that and if he said anything about it in your messages, you would have a case against him.

Very odd. So it definitely sounds like someone inexperienced who thought they could take advantage of you by just saying they got the wrong item. As reputable sellers we know that stuff like this doesn't just happen. If the game does actually come back as it was, give him the cash back and just be glad it wasn't worse. If it's opened, meh, some negative feedback is probably warranted but no big deal. If nothing shows up or something else comes, I'd think there are steps in the return process that you can take as a seller to protect yourself just as a buyer can when purchasing. Keep an eye on how long the case has. I've only had one problem with not receiving the correct item and it was cheap enough that it worked out in my favor. Seller wanted me to pay to return a $2 keychain, and I said "No way, that'd be more than twice what I paid for it, send me the right one!". He got some bad feedback for his negligence and had to make a new eBay account to restore his pristine feedback lol. Policies have changed a lot since then though.

I bought a fraudulent Club Nintendo code and have no way to say I didn't receive my item since the seller marked it as shipped. I can't report the item as significantly not as described since I haven't paid. So I'm stuck with eBay asking for cash on something I didn't get, and it stays stuck in my cart in the mobile app for some reason lol. Oh well, don't know if there's anything else I can do. If I get an unpaid item strike it will go away eventually. I rarely have problems with eBay.
Warranted yes, allowed no. Sellers can't leave negative feedback.

Not an eBay rant but for Amazon. 

I sold my Nexus 4 exactly a month ago. The buyer just messaged me today and said the phone has had several issues since she got it from it showing it is charging when its not to notifications popping up when there are none (which makes no sense). Literally a month later too.

The phone has never given me any of those issues so I have no idea what she is talking about and can't fix issues without seeing the phone myself.

Wondering what would be the best course of action for this.

Not an eBay rant but for Amazon.

I sold my Nexus 4 exactly a month ago. The buyer just messaged me today and said the phone has had several issues since she got it from it showing it is charging when its not to notifications popping up when there are none (which makes no sense). Literally a month later too.

The phone has never given me any of those issues so I have no idea what she is talking about and can't fix issues without seeing the phone myself.

Wondering what would be the best course of action for this.
Perhaps recommend she take it to the local retailer to see if they can diagnose any issues?

Ultimately if she decides there is an issue, you'll either need to take it back or risk an A-Z return which may leave her with the phone and your money. Have you checked the Amazon seller forums? They often have good advice. Amazon may have a restock policy or other policy that applies for a phone that was used for a period of time.

I see sellers on Ebay and half.com listing disc only and cartridge only games as like new or very good and opened games as brand new and nothing ever happens. They removed a listing I had for a Guitar Hero game because I said in the description "Brand New, Factory Sealed. This is for the Game Only and you need a guitar to use this game." They said cartridge only games have to be listed as acceptable ignoring where I said the game is factory sealed and probably saw the wording "game only"

I always mention if a game requires a special controller to use because too many times people either don't realize it or just think that it's automatically included. I once had someone ask me if a $20 with free shipping Rock Band game included the drums, guitar and microphone.

In the last month or so, the post office has stopped updating tracking info after it's marked as "leaving the sort facility" or something like that. The tracking number never updates after that and the buyers never get their item; I also never get it back. In the last month it happened to a $60 item, $50, $15, $25, and there will probably be more. All of the packages were sent first-class, but with no insurance. I've been lucky so far and ebay just issues them a refund and I get to keep the money. This has gotten me very frustrated because I'm not going to pay for insurance on all of the 100+ items that I send out a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the last month or so, the post office has stopped updating tracking info after it's marked as "leaving the sort facility" or something like that. The tracking number never updates after that and the buyers never get their item; I also never get it back. In the last month it happened to a $60 item, $50, $15, $25, and there will probably be more. All of the packages were sent first-class, but with no insurance. I've been lucky so far and ebay just issues them a refund and I get to keep the money. This has gotten me very frustrated because I'm not going to pay for insurance on all of the 100+ items that I send out a month.
That's very strange. You should file a report with the US Postal Inspection Service.

eBay's offers must be glitching. I noticed that I earned 10% in eBay bucks for a Sears gift card purchase from Paypal's digital store. I know these offers are YMMV but I had an offer that was good until the end of tonight that gave me an extra 5x in eBay bucks for every purchase. I clicked on the offer before I made my Sears gift card purchase (which is still available online for 15% off by the way thanks to SlickDeals).

Basically promotional eBay bucks aren't supposed to work on gift card purchases but when I look at my eBay bucks breakdown, it clearly credited me with $8.50 for my $85 purchase (10% rewards) just yesterday. Something you guys should keep an eye out for regarding future targeted eBay bucks offers. I wonder whether this was just a one time deal or whether this is a recurring glitch.

It seems like I'm in the clear with the Halo MCC. The guy sent me something back which I refuse to open. He ignored eBay's request for tracking multiple times.

I'm guessing ebay is refunding him? This is what the official thing says:

Decision:
This case was decided in the buyer's favor. You won't have to reimburse your buyer for this transaction.

Comments:
The buyer returned the item without authorization and did not provide tracking information for the return. You don't need to do anything else.

Sounds like it, lol wth eBay?! "Yes, we recognize they royally screwed this up, but they still win." I guess without any way of knowing what was sent back, they have to assume it could have been the right item? With such a big company I guess they can just afford to pay off the scammers instead of wasting more money figuring each case out. If any one person abuses it they get their PayPal frozen, and good luck getting it or any cash in it back lol.

Ugh I think I'm about to run into my first problem sale off of eBay. I've been selling for awhile now and luckily have never ran into an issue before, but somebody just purchased an item I have listed and they have 0 Feedback and the account was created today...

I'd cancel it if not for getting hit with the possibility of negative feedback among other ramifications.

Ugh I think I'm about to run into my first problem sale off of eBay. I've been selling for awhile now and luckily have never ran into an issue before, but somebody just purchased an item I have listed and they have 0 Feedback and the account was created today...

I'd cancel it if not for getting hit with the possibility of negative feedback among other ramifications.
Doesn't mean it's a problem. Could just be new to eBay. If it's not a high cost item, I'd send it.

Is the user name a jumble of letters and numbers? Could be a guest purchase.

Some guy I sold a hard drive to is claiming that it's damaged, and wants a refund. I kinda think he's full of shit, but I told him to go ahead and send it back (first time I've ever allowed a buyer to return something, since it was only $20), to which he replied "Send me full refund or I will open the case!"

I'm guessing he's an overseas buyer, since his English is awful, and his shipping address appears to be one of those forwarding companies, but I'm not about to give him a refund AND let him keep the item. Good times.

Edit: Sure enough. "I want return but i am in europe and mail cost is high. The hard drive is now useless and there is no need return." Should I just do nothing until he opens a case? How does eBay handle international returns when the buyer uses a forwarding address (I know sometimes they'll give the buyer a prepaid label to return an item, but I'm not sure how that would work in this scenario)?

Some guy I sold a hard drive to is claiming that it's damaged, and wants a refund. I kinda think he's full of shit, but I told him to go ahead and send it back (first time I've ever allowed a buyer to return something, since it was only $20), to which he replied "Send me full refund or I will open the case!"

I'm guessing he's an overseas buyer, since his English is awful, and his shipping address appears to be one of those forwarding companies, but I'm not about to give him a refund AND let him keep the item. Good times.

Edit: Sure enough. "I want return but i am in europe and mail cost is high. The hard drive is now useless and there is no need return." Should I just do nothing until he opens a case? How does eBay handle international returns when the buyer uses a forwarding address (I know sometimes they'll give the buyer a prepaid label to return an item, but I'm not sure how that would work in this scenario)?
If he does open a case, you can always point to the forwarding company. I'd respond to the buyer stating that the item worked when it was shipped and you are not responsible for any damage after it arrives at the forwarding company. My guess is that ebay will refund the buyer out of their own pocket if a case is opened and you leverage the middle man.

I'm pretty sure the buyer is screwed here. He has to return the item for a refund and I believe the return cost that you have to give is only equal to what you charged or something. Like I sold a book and mailed it media mail (charged 4 dollars shipping). Guy returned it saying it was damaged and it came back via Priority Mail. I ended up paying for the shipping, but it was still only 4 dollars.

And since it when through a forwarding company how can you be to blame. You sent it to the address in good condition, it was then mailed further. I'm guessing you may just get to keep the money and maybe eBay will refund the buyer if you stand your ground. Of course you may get negative feedback out of the deal though.

Not like hard drives cost an arm and a leg, and they're known to go bad after an indeterminable amount of time. Why would you go to the trouble to buy questionably cheap electronics when you can get a reliable one much more easily? Never buy that stuff used lol.

Either way looks like you've got your answer here, I agree. Looks like a lot of these posts are about buyers claiming damaged goods and issues with international sales. Just goes to show you that you have to be confident in what you're selling or someone will try to take advantage of the situation.

I'm pretty sure the buyer is screwed here. He has to return the item for a refund and I believe the return cost that you have to give is only equal to what you charged or something. Like I sold a book and mailed it media mail (charged 4 dollars shipping). Guy returned it saying it was damaged and it came back via Priority Mail. I ended up paying for the shipping, but it was still only 4 dollars.

And since it when through a forwarding company how can you be to blame. You sent it to the address in good condition, it was then mailed further. I'm guessing you may just get to keep the money and maybe eBay will refund the buyer if you stand your ground. Of course you may get negative feedback out of the deal though.
He did follow that up with "Please respond. How you tested the hard drive? Why you write on the describe "no return" ? you already know that your hard drive was bad. Who is returning good condition items? You are cheating. I need refund. Or i will leave feedback as you deserve!"

Even if he does leave a negative, I'm assuming I'll be able to get it removed, due to eBay's "feedback extortion policy."

The buyer isn't allowed to threaten to use Feedback or detailed seller ratings in an attempt to force a seller into providing:

• Goods or services that weren't included in the original item's description or purchase price.
  • A return, refund, or replacement item.

Ended up sending it with a Signature to be safe. I Google Mapped the area and it looked like a real address so I figured I would take the chance.

Now I'm having woes from another order and this buyer has 858 reviews with 100% Feedback. I'm hoping nothing serious comes out, but the shipment had a signature attached to it since it was a $200 item and today it shipped out but nobody was presumably around to sign for it.

Has anyone ever accepted a return and the buyer sends back a different or damaged item instead of the one that was sold? Does ebay still side with the buyer in these cases. If so, couldn't the buyer just send an empty package back and ebay would side with them. There doesn't seem to be any protection for the sellers.

Has anyone ever accepted a return and the buyer sends back a different or damaged item instead of the one that was sold? Does ebay still side with the buyer in these cases. If so, couldn't the buyer just send an empty package back and ebay would side with them. There doesn't seem to be any protection for the sellers.
If this happens, eBay will still side with the buyer, but you can file a mail fraud report and get your money back that way. I've also heard of people having luck calling Paypal.

Would love a free listing event since there hasn't been one since January. Heard a few people got one in March but it was limited invite. They used to have free listing events twice a month. Lame.

Would love a free listing event since there hasn't been one since January. Heard a few people got one in March but it was limited invite. They used to have free listing events twice a month. Lame.
I have gotten free listing offers (either auctions or BIN) every 2 or 3 weeks. Annoyingly, they are always for new listings only, rather than relists.

I have gotten free listing offers (either auctions or BIN) every 2 or 3 weeks. Annoyingly, they are always for new listings only, rather than relists.
The way around that is open the listing page of the item you wish to re-list and click on sell similar. All of the details will be there including the photos and all you need to do is click two tabs., the same as a new listing. A few extra clicks but it 's an easy workaround.

I think they started excluding "sell similar" as well for the listing events.
It worked with the fixed price free listings in March. I re-listed about 75 listings that way without issue. Listings created using "sell similar" are considered new listings.

I need some advice /help with this.So I sell a cowboy bebop blu ray series but it's sealed and has case damage I even listed it In the title and so this buyer send me a message at 2 in the morning saying that all 3 disc have a bend on the disc and are unplayable.He posts a picture but when I click on it it takes me to the Hong Kong version of eBay and the seller does not mention anything about requesting a refund .But 3 days prior to him messaging me he leaves feedback saying "great seller,item as described and satisfied with purchase " so how do I handle this situation?

I haven't had to pay for listings for about a year now. I thought it was the same for everyone. I just tried listing a $30 auction and a $40 BIN and they both said free. I'm on mobile if it makes a difference.

I haven't had to pay for listings for about a year now. I thought it was the same for everyone. I just tried listing a $30 auction and a $40 BIN and they both said free. I'm on mobile if it makes a difference.
How much do you list? You get 50 free listings a month, though that will expand I believe in May.

My rant is my fault because I didn't realize the default for Buy It Now listings is not "require immediate payment." So of course some dingus buys an item Monday morning and still hasn't paid. So eBay requires opening a resolution center request, in which I get to wait another seven days for this guy to still not respond. At this point I'm willing to eat the eBay fee and resell it to someone who understands the words "buy it now."

I asked similar questions regarding this subject months ago but now that I'm about to actually start selling I just want to clarify.

So you can save money shipping by using the eBay labels you can print which you get by calculating the weight on the site. From there you can just leave the packages in your box for the carrier to get. My questions are is it fairly easy process in the calculating shipping cost process or is there anything tricky or hard I should watch out for so I don't make a mistake?

Second, if I make a mistake in the shipping cost, do they just send it back? Assume so but just to be sure.

Third, do you even need to bother with an eBay label if you're doing free shipping? Unless it affects your fees for the month you aren't saving anything in this case right.

Fourth, I was under the impression location (pertaining to the US, only sell domestically) played a factor on shipping cost. Does it and if so how can you calculate the cost if you won't know who buys it?

I mean you have to follow postal regulations. Depending on the method you're sending through USPS the item must be classified correctly (ie. don't send booze or games through media mail). Enter the correct package dimensions and weigh it and that's about it, I've never had a problem with it. 

If you don't pay enough postage for the weight they will either charge you if they weigh it at the post office and find that it weighs more, or hold it at the post office when it reaches it's destination and charge the buyer when they go to pick it up. The latter will result in an unhappy buyer lol.

I believe you can still request to print a shipping label for a listing even if you listed it as free shipping, it just doesn't charge the buyer. You'll be charged through PayPal but I'd still go through eBay rather than the USPS site because you'll get the discount I believe.

I'm not sure that it costs more to ship items further, that would be too hard to track I'd think. Not like you have to attach an extra stamp to a letter if it's going another state over. Just find out how much your box weighs.

1. I don't know about leaving packages in my box for the USPS to pick up. I'd rather leave it in a blue box or at the PO counter. If someone steals it out of your box, no one would have any record of it.

2. Buy a cheap digital scale. You will need one, or risk overpaying/underpaying for shipping. Underpaying and they catch it, they'll usually bill the recipient, who obviously won't be happy.

3. Free shipping means the seller pays for shipping, not that eBay gives you shipping for free. So yes, you'd still buy a label through Paypal.

4. It does cost more to ship items further. I shipped a 18x18x18 7 lb box to to LA with priority mail for like $7.

Here's everything else I can think of.

- USPS First class is only up to 13 oz. This is going to be the best and cheapest option, 99% of the time.

- Priority mail flat rate boxes do not take distance or weight into account (assuming under 70 lbs for domestic).

- Buying the label through Paypal gives you a discount on some services, such as Priority Mail. This can cause Priority mail to be the cheapest method over 13 oz.

- When using Priority Mail, factor in the free $50 insurance and free box (using your own box costs $0.25-0.50 in small bulk quantities).

- FedEX/UPS also get discounts when you print through Paypal. FedEX Ground or Smart Post is usually cheaper than USPS parcel post (whatever it's called now).

- Media mail is for books, not video games. First class is generally going to be cheaper than media mail any ways.

I think I'm done selling amiibos on ebay. Mentioned before that I sold one and the guy wanted a huge discount, because it had some small nick on it.

This was even worse. Sold a Gold Mario one a week ago, and the guy wants to return it because and I'm not even exaggerating, has a microscopic black dot the size of a grain of sand on it. He described it as "chipped paint." He sent me a photo of it via ebay message and it had to be taken via zoom to be seen. I thought I was being trolled, but he is serious.

This is absolutely ridiculous with the OCD of these amiibo things. Goodness gracious. This whole amiibo thing in general is just way out of control.

On the box or the Amiibo? The way these are manufactured and handled there's no way to prevent that kind of stuff.

Said it before and I'll say it again, hardcore Amiibo collectors are insatiable and ruthless. How the heck do they shop for perfection when there's a mad dash to get these in store at all? Seriously the stress that must add, not only to you but everyone you try to deal with. I'm fed up with it as well. I make sure to note that my offerings and not going to be the product of immaculate conception that they're unrealistically expecting. If you say sold as-is there's no way they can complain. And if eBay allows buyers to send back something as trivial as that they need to seriously revise their guarantee policy. 

Maybe I'm just lucky but I feel bad for the nightmare buyers you guys get.

It was on the amiibo itself. I know, it's not preventable, it's insane. These things are mass produced. It's out of anyone's hands.
As I am someone who collected Star Wars figures for a while and have sold some for over the $5,000 mark for family members I can understand where this guy is coming from. BUT!

If it is sealed and the package itself is as described I would contact the seller and be kind about it since it is not a huge thing to overlook. Especially when it's a $20-30 amiibo and not a $5,000+ figure.

So overall I see both sides to this argument.

I think for a microscopic dot, there isn't any argument for it. It's totally insane. And when I say microscopic, I mean it literally. I think he examined the thing with a magnifying glass, because it isn't viewable under normal conditions.

Literally smaller than a grain of sand.

Once it gets that far, that isn't collecting, it's an illness that needs to be treated by a doctor. It's not normal.

I think for a microscopic dot, there isn't any argument for it. It's totally insane. And when I say microscopic, I mean it literally. I think he examined the thing with a magnifying glass, because it isn't viewable under normal conditions.

Literally smaller than a grain of sand.

Once it gets that far, that isn't collecting, it's an illness that needs to be treated by a doctor. It's not normal.
You would be surprised what collectors do for perfection OR oddities.

There are Star Wars figures that due to a mistake in the production some did not have an emblem included on a character and it made them worth over $100 when normally they were $10.

Or the 1977 figures...A normal sealed Luke Skyalker is maybe $2,000 or so if it's perfect. A double telescoping lightsaber (which is a defect, it isn't a limited run or anything) can go for over $10,000.

I see where you are coming from, but when you are dealing with people who collect these things for an investment (whether or not it ends up being a sound one is not the point) the tiniest details matter.

But he needs to be aware that this was an ebay auction, it was ungraded, and it was a factor mistake. These are mass produced pieces of plastic and mistakes do happen. A small dot will not impact the value that much if at all. He is just going overboard due to the rarity of this golden Mario amiibo.

I am not saying I agree with him, but I can see where he is coming from.

The whole Amiibo collectors being anal about the quality and condition is only because there is still a relatively healthy supply of them around online (despite some being rare or non-existant in normal retail).  These collectors are more than likely taking advantage of that and buying multiples to get the "best one", and trying to return the "lesser quality" ones, even though the difference is razor thin.

To me that just sounds like they are treating the average eBay seller like Walmart, and that can't be justified IMO.

This is the kinda thing I'm talking about. If you go to Amazon.com's Lucina page and see their stock photo, you can see if you zoom in on the full size, a super small white marking. This is the kind of thing buyers have been whining about, only for me, it was something even smaller than that. It's ridiculous.

oixgzo.jpg

Does anyone have experience buying something that's from China? I placed an order that's from Shenzhen, China. I'm wondering how long does shipping and delivery take.

bread's done
Back