The General eBay Rant Thread

Does anyone have experience buying something that's from China? I placed an order that's from Shenzhen, China. I'm wondering how long does shipping and delivery take.
Give it a month, I buy small stuff from there all the time and it can take 3 weeks or more. But remember you only have 45 days to file a claim with eBay/Paypal, so keep that in mind when you wait.

Give it a month, I buy small stuff from there all the time and it can take 3 weeks or more. But remember you only have 45 days to file a claim with eBay/Paypal, so keep that in mind when you wait.
You have 45 days with ebay, but you have 180 days with Paypal.

I just went through filing two Paypal disputes with two sellers from China for items purchased at the end of November. They kept doing the "just give it one more week" thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have 45 days with ebay, but you have 180 days with Paypal.

I just went through filing two Paypal disputes with two sellers from China for items purchased at the end of November. They kept doing the "just give it one more week" thing.
Why the hell would anyone wait so long for something? If you're that patient, you probably didn't need whatever it was anyway. I can't stand to wait more than a week for anything.

Why the hell would anyone wait so long for something? If you're that patient, you probably didn't need whatever it was anyway. I can't stand to wait more than a week for anything.
Because not everything works the way we want it to??

The post office misplaces packages. That is not the sellers fault, as such eBay needs to give USPS ample time to locate the package. Also, when dealing with international items it does take a while, it has to travel thousands of miles. That doesn't happen in a week...Ever. Unless you pay insane postage.

The post office misplaces packages. That is not the sellers fault, as such eBay needs to give USPS ample time to locate the package. Also, when dealing with international items it does take a while, it has to travel thousands of miles. That doesn't happen in a week...Ever. Unless you pay insane postage.
I get games from Hong Kong in 4 days. Only costs $13 shipping. FedEx Int Eco. What pisses me off is that it's impossible to find places selling UK/German movies with that kind of shipping option. Amazon.de charges like $30+ shipping and still took 3 weeks last time.

I get games from Hong Kong in 4 days. Only costs $13 shipping. FedEx Int Eco. What pisses me off is that it's impossible to find places selling UK/German movies with that kind of shipping option. Amazon.de charges like $30+ shipping and still took 3 weeks last time.
The main reason people buy stuff from HK ebay is they are smaller items that are a few bucks. I bought some headphone/cable zipper pouch things for $1 a piece. It took like 3 weeks for them to get here. I was fine with that, I am not spending $13 in shipping for those lol.

I think I'm done selling amiibos on ebay. Mentioned before that I sold one and the guy wanted a huge discount, because it had some small nick on it.

This was even worse. Sold a Gold Mario one a week ago, and the guy wants to return it because and I'm not even exaggerating, has a microscopic black dot the size of a grain of sand on it. He described it as "chipped paint." He sent me a photo of it via ebay message and it had to be taken via zoom to be seen. I thought I was being trolled, but he is serious.

This is absolutely ridiculous with the OCD of these amiibo things. Goodness gracious. This whole amiibo thing in general is just way out of control.
I've seen some people medically examine these things in store. I look too but only to the point that it's intact. It's not like one of these $100+ figures, wtf is wrong with people.

The main reason people buy stuff from HK ebay is they are smaller items that are a few bucks. I bought some headphone/cable zipper pouch things for $1 a piece. It took like 3 weeks for them to get here. I was fine with that, I am not spending $13 in shipping for those lol.
Pretty much this. I gave them time because I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. After a month I contacted them about not receiving the item, they both said I could have a refund or a replacement item sent. I opted for a replacement. The wait time for shipping of the replacement took me to February. When the replacement never arrived one seller started ignoring me (most likely because I was past the 45 days so they thought there was nothing I could do) so I did the paypal dispute immediately. The other seller maintained contact and promised a refund if I waited a little bit longer. I did the dispute with the second seller when they started repeating themselves instead of providing the refund.

The only things I order from China through ebay are small $1-$2 items that have free shipping that I want to have for convenience but for which I have no immediate need. Things like extra cables. Anything I need more immediately I'll buy from DealExtreme.

I did the dispute with the second seller when they started repeating themselves instead of providing the refund.
Any luck with the dispute yet? I had USPS double bill me for a label that I paid for through PayPal. I think it was because I clicked the back button to alter the address but I got two separate PayPal charges for the exact same amount but to different funding sources for some reason. I filed a dispute when I got an email saying they are both about to go through but it looks like the only way you can dispute is to say someone somehow gained access to your account and started making fraudulent changes/purchases.

I just selected 'other' and said I got double billed. This stuff happens right? I can't be the only one, but the process is confusing. Seems like this is something small that can be easily fixed, but some people say disputing charges can get your account suspended/frozen. Really hope that doesn't happen.

^ did they  create two labels? If so you should have just voided one. It takes like two weeks or so to get the credit but it's better for everyone involved.

If two labels weren't created I find it high unlikely you were double billed and even if you were, I would have given it a few days to see if the charge fell off before opening a dispute.

Either way good luck

Any luck with the dispute yet? I had USPS double bill me for a label that I paid for through PayPal. I think it was because I clicked the back button to alter the address but I got two separate PayPal charges for the exact same amount but to different funding sources for some reason. I filed a dispute when I got an email saying they are both about to go through but it looks like the only way you can dispute is to say someone somehow gained access to your account and started making fraudulent changes/purchases.

I just selected 'other' and said I got double billed. This stuff happens right? I can't be the only one, but the process is confusing. Seems like this is something small that can be easily fixed, but some people say disputing charges can get your account suspended/frozen. Really hope that doesn't happen.
Well, the dispute for me is a buyer protection type thing (item not received/SNAD). Not an invalid charge/payment like how you're describing your issue. As GBAstar says, if you pay for a USPS label that you don't need, best thing to do is void the label. You can void the label by looking towards the bottom of the page if you view the transaction details.

I think people getting frozen/suspended accounts are more people abusing the system disputing charges that are legitimate.

You can void the label by looking towards the bottom of the page if you view the transaction details.

I think people getting frozen/suspended accounts are more people abusing the system disputing charges that are legitimate.
Ah see that's the thing! When I log into my USPS account there's absolutely NOTHING on the activity/history pages. What the heck?! They take my cash and then show no record of it?? Talk about frustrating, but then again that's what the government does, print money out of thin air like nothing ever happened. Can't let them nickel and dime me on every front =P

I'm trying to sell LA Noire Complete Edition for the Playstation 3 on eBay and the majority of the sellers there are trying to sell the regular edition as the Complete one. Anybody know why? Is the DLC for the game free now, or is everyone on eBay who's selling the game just trying to scam buyers?

I'm trying to sell LA Noire Complete Edition for the Playstation 3 on eBay and the majority of the sellers there are trying to sell the regular edition as the Complete one. Anybody know why? Is the DLC for the game free now, or is everyone on eBay who's selling the game just trying to scam buyers?
When you are going to sell a copy of LA Noire (PS3) and you type it into the "tell us what you're selling" box, only the complete edition comes up so that's what they choose. Some sellers must not notice/realize that there are 2 different versions of the game, because they would manually have to change the title.

Ah see that's the thing! When I log into my USPS account there's absolutely NOTHING on the activity/history pages. What the heck?! They take my cash and then show no record of it?? Talk about frustrating, but then again that's what the government does, print money out of thin air like nothing ever happened. Can't let them nickel and dime me on every front =P
Wait, so you bought the labels through USPS.com not paypal.com? I thought you meant you went through paypal's "ship now" system. I don't know how USPS handles buying/refunding postage through their website.

When you are going to sell a copy of LA Noire (PS3) and you type it into the "tell us what you're selling" box, only the complete edition comes up so that's what they choose. Some sellers must not notice/realize that there are 2 different versions of the game, because they would manually have to change the title.
I see. So that's what it is. Thanks. I don't have much competition for complete editions so I should be able to sell it soon, as long as the buyers are more knowledgeable than the sellers.

The Lord Business Lego set was getting scarce so I went ahead and bought one. This one seemed OK and I don't mind minor box damage if I'm going to save some cash. This is what I got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351352073968?redirect=mobile
ddf7fd66abaf7270c0bd25a14434e0cd.jpg
ba8017aabd3bed986d5120119881ac52.jpg

The box was destroyed as you can see. It wasn't from shipping because the outer box was fine and it was packed well.

What would you guys do? It *is* good will so I feel bad asking for a discount. On the other hand, I could've gotten a NIB one for around $5 more.

The Lord Business Lego set was getting scarce so I went ahead and bought one. This one seemed OK and I don't mind minor box damage if I'm going to save some cash. This is what I got.

The box was destroyed as you can see. It wasn't from shipping because the outer box was fine and it was packed well.

What would you guys do? It *is* good will so I feel bad asking for a discount. On the other hand, I could've gotten a NIB one for around $5 more.
That's not "minor damage" to the box. And no item condition was officially set. But I'm assuming everything inside is still sealed and probably fine other than maybe some crumpled instructions.

BUT you also bought from Goodwill. I mean, could they have been more accurate with the description?

Yes.

But it's Goodwill. This is exactly how I'd expect something from a Goodwill store to come.

If it were a normal seller I might push for a partial refund, but you bought it from a place that just takes donations that are often beat to crap. I'd give them a pass this time and just admit I overpayed. If you knew it was only a $5 difference between a Goodwill copy and a NIB one, you probably should have just gone for the NIB one in the first place on an item this expensive since you only saved approximately 10%. It's not like it was a $10 set you got for $5 for a 50% savings.

Wait, so you bought the labels through USPS.com not paypal.com? I thought you meant you went through paypal's "ship now" system. I don't know how USPS handles buying/refunding postage through their website.
No I've heard of that option but I've NEVER seen an option to purchase postage through PayPal. I had an account on USPS so I figured what the heck. But no, there's no way I'll get a refund through USPS if they don't even show the order, impossible. If anything PayPal will cover their goof.

That's not "minor damage" to the box. And no item condition was officially set. But I'm assuming everything inside is still sealed and probably fine other than maybe some crumpled instructions.

BUT you also bought from Goodwill. I mean, could they have been more accurate with the description?

Yes.

But it's Goodwill. This is exactly how I'd expect something from a Goodwill store to come.

If it were a normal seller I might push for a partial refund, but you bought it from a place that just takes donations that are often beat to crap. I'd give them a pass this time and just admit I overpayed. If you knew it was only a $5 difference between a Goodwill copy and a NIB one, you probably should have just gone for the NIB one in the first place on an item this expensive since you only saved approximately 10%. It's not like it was a $10 set you got for $5 for a 50% savings.
Yeah, I'll just let it go. I'm annoyed I didn't go with the other one though. Luckily, everything inside was in perfect condition, including the instructions. This will be the first Lego box I throw out, haha.

Why not just return it since it was "not as described"? For "not as described" items the seller has to pay the return shipping and will refund you the entire amount that you paid. Literally no cost to you.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-not-as-described.html

Why not just return it since it was "not as described"? For "not as described" items the seller has to pay the return shipping and will refund you the entire amount that you paid. Literally no cost to you.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-not-as-described.html
I would if it was a normal seller, but seeing that it's Good Will, I don't want to screw them over. The shipping fees alone are about $15 each way so they'd be losing out on $30. Plus I opened the box so it's not new in (destroyed) box anymore.

I would if it was a normal seller, but seeing that it's Good Will, I don't want to screw them over. The shipping fees alone are about $15 each way so they'd be losing out on $30. Plus I opened the box so it's not new in (destroyed) box anymore.
I always thought of Goodwill as a place where people would donate stuff and Goodwill would then sell it at a cheap price and use the money they make to donate to charities. Over the past few years I've seen crazy prices at goodwills and also the rise of them putting stuff on on ebay or shopgoodwill to sell to the highest bidder. They have lost all "goodwill" from me at this point since their model is no longer favorable toward their shoppers. From now on I donate only to my local thrift store rather than goodwill. Already great prices are also negotiable and 100% all the extra money taken in (other than rent and electricity) goes to local charities. Everyone is a volunteer including the owner. I'm happy to support that charity.

I'd have no problem holding Goodwill to the same standard as any other ebay seller since they make far more money selling on ebay that they would in their stores. That's just me though, and the few things I bought from then on ebay have actually come in excellent condition so I really don't have any complaints.

eBay, you can go fucka goat. Like I said before, my account is below standard, so I cannot participate in the Global Shipping Program. So after trying to sell something and a buyer from Australia buying it, I see that the shipping price is $15. No way. I cancel the item and relist it and have it and all my other items as No International Shipping. Well, now I see the item sold again. And who bought it? The Australian seller again. Despite the fact that it's listed as No International Shipping. Despite the fact that I said I do not want international shipping, eBay allows international people to buy items that sellers have tried to prevent them from buying. And, of course, eBay gets it's Final Value Fees from me. I know that once I get the item successfully cancelled, the FVF will return to me, but the fact that eBay is pulling fast ones to quickly get money from sellers isn't just scummy, it should be criminal.

eBay, you can go fucka goat. Like I said before, my account is below standard, so I cannot participate in the Global Shipping Program. So after trying to sell something and a buyer from Australia buying it, I see that the shipping price is $15. No way. I cancel the item and relist it and have it and all my other items as No International Shipping. Well, now I see the item sold again. And who bought it? The Australian seller again. Despite the fact that it's listed as No International Shipping. Despite the fact that I said I do not want international shipping, eBay allows international people to buy items that sellers have tried to prevent them from buying. And, of course, eBay gets it's Final Value Fees from me. I know that once I get the item successfully cancelled, the FVF will return to me, but the fact that eBay is pulling fast ones to quickly get money from sellers isn't just scummy, it should be criminal.
Is the buyer's address actually Australia? I recently sold something to a guy in Japan but he's using a fowarding service in Oregon. I figure that's pretty safe for me - delivery confirmation will show it gets to the forwarding company, and if the buyer claims SNAD then I think I have a pretty good defense that I'm not responsible for how that company fowards or damages the item once it gets to them and then has to travel around the world.

Is the buyer's address actually Australia? I recently sold something to a guy in Japan but he's using a fowarding service in Oregon. I figure that's pretty safe for me - delivery confirmation will show it gets to the forwarding company, and if the buyer claims SNAD then I think I have a pretty good defense that I'm not responsible for how that company fowards or damages the item once it gets to them and then has to travel around the world.
I actually just got a negative feedback from an international seller (see what I did there?) removed about an hour ago. I mentioned to the rep that they had used a forwarding company, but I'm guessing their feedback extortion attempt carried more weight.

Did you set your seller's options to block the countries that you don't want to sell to?

Did you set your seller's options to block the countries that you don't want to sell to?
For international shipping, there are three options on the listing page.

Send Your Item to the International Shipping Center

Choose Your Own International Shipping Option

No International Shipping.

I chose the third option.

There's an issue with redeeming the 1st quarter eBay bucks I noticed. I made a purchase while attempting to redeem my eBay bucks but I noticed that my Paypal account still took out the full amount from my Paypal balance even though my payment details showed me redeeming my eBay bucks during checkout. I went back to look at my eBay bucks balance and I can still see the original amount there. So heads up you guys might be having an issue redeeming your rewards. I'm curious if this issue is just isolated to my account or if it's a system wide issue so any reports would be appreciated.

They expire one month after issuance so just keep that in mind.

There's an issue with redeeming the 1st quarter eBay bucks I noticed. I made a purchase while attempting to redeem my eBay bucks but I noticed that my Paypal account still took out the full amount from my Paypal balance even though my payment details showed me redeeming my eBay bucks during checkout. I went back to look at my eBay bucks balance and I can still see the original amount there. So heads up you guys might be having an issue redeeming your rewards. I'm curious if this issue is just isolated to my account or if it's a system wide issue so any reports would be appreciated.

They expire one month after issuance so just keep that in mind.
I thought I had that happen before but in my Paypal account it would look like I paid PayPal the amount of the eBay bucks and my account would be debited and then my account would immediately be credited that same amount by PayPal meaning their was a net of $0 taken from my account.

eBay would would always disappear though

I always thought of Goodwill as a place where people would donate stuff and Goodwill would then sell it at a cheap price and use the money they make to donate to charities. Over the past few years I've seen crazy prices at goodwills and also the rise of them putting stuff on on ebay or shopgoodwill to sell to the highest bidder. They have lost all "goodwill" from me at this point since their model is no longer favorable toward their shoppers. From now on I donate only to my local thrift store rather than goodwill. Already great prices are also negotiable and 100% all the extra money taken in (other than rent and electricity) goes to local charities. Everyone is a volunteer including the owner. I'm happy to support that charity.

I'd have no problem holding Goodwill to the same standard as any other ebay seller since they make far more money selling on ebay that they would in their stores. That's just me though, and the few things I bought from then on ebay have actually come in excellent condition so I really don't have any complaints.
A bunch of stuff gets donated from places like Target, this very well could have been a salvaged item from target.

[quote name="skiizim" post="12651447" timestamp="1429575155"]A bunch of stuff gets donated from places like Target, this very well could have been a salvaged item from target.[/quote]

Goodwill usually buys the stuff from target. That is why their sales usually specify off "donated goods". There. Is no reason to cut goodwill slack on eBay. They can either run their business like a business or go back to actually selling things cheap.

Has anyone ever filed a complaint with paypal's new 180 day policy?

I bought some refurbished nes connectors in Janaury that were guaranteed to work, much better than cheap Chinese ones, etc. etc.

Well I finally got around to trying them and all four didn't work. Since then I bought some cheap Chinese new ones and popped them in each NES and it works no problem so obviously these refurbished ones are junk.

This is long past the old 45 day window but now the 180 day. Is it pretty simple to get money back through paypal for the long after complaint? I don't feel like writing the guy an e-mail tonight, so I will work on it tomorrow after I go to sleep so I thought I'd see if you guys have any experience (as a seller or buyer).

thanks

How long does a customer have to open a case. I sold a laptop two months ago and explained that the switchable graphics was bad in it. Now today I'm contacted by the buyer saying that they tried to switch to the Nvidia graphics and now they don't get any video. Which I think is BS since I did it many times and only set intel as default because the Nvidia card ran hot. I was just wondering if I'm going to be on the hook for anything. This is why I try my hardest not to sell to people over seas. they seem to be the only ones I have trouble with.

Has anyone ever filed a complaint with paypal's new 180 day policy?

I bought some refurbished nes connectors in Janaury that were guaranteed to work, much better than cheap Chinese ones, etc. etc.

Well I finally got around to trying them and all four didn't work. Since then I bought some cheap Chinese new ones and popped them in each NES and it works no problem so obviously these refurbished ones are junk.

This is long past the old 45 day window but now the 180 day. Is it pretty simple to get money back through paypal for the long after complaint? I don't feel like writing the guy an e-mail tonight, so I will work on it tomorrow after I go to sleep so I thought I'd see if you guys have any experience (as a seller or buyer).

thanks
I recently used paypal's 180 day policy. I started the dispute process near the end of March for items I purchased at the end of November.

I've never used ebay's dispute system but the paypal one was pretty simple.

Just had to pick the paypal transaction to dispute, answer some questions about the item and why I was disputing the charge, then explain the situation.

Then the seller can respond to your dispute through paypal's dispute system. You have about 30 days or so to work something out with the seller or escalate. If you let that time pass without escalating then the dispute is closed. If you cannot work something out with the seller you can escalate the dispute to a claim, at which point paypal will step in and give the seller 10 days to give their side of the situation. The claim page seems as though paypal may ask for more information from you, but I've never had a seller respond once I escalated.

I think you can skip the dispute stage and escalate immediately if you had previously tried to work something out to no avail.

The seller ended that auction and relisted, only with a higher price now. He's asking for $6,000 more on this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-Collection-Lot-Of-120-Ninendo-64-N64-Games-118-Different-Titles-/351382597642?

Seriously, are people that brain dead to list prices that unreasonable? Or is there a serious N64 game demand in that seller's town?

Apparently he got offended by narukami's offer and removed the option to make an offer.

Maybe he thinks us dollars are still worth a shit ton more than Canadian?

I'm just about done selling most of my stuff on eBay(which are video games). With my basic store subscription it only costs 5 cents to list a game after your free listing are out, starting tomorrow it's going to be a flat 20 cents on every fixed price listing. Even during the free listing promotions they don't include relists or sell-similar. Since most of my games don't sell the first or second time around, it ultimately screws me out of selling lower ticket items and slow sellers. I just have to sell the remainder of my stuff in a year, so it looks like I'll have to start using craigslist again.

I'm just about done selling most of my stuff on eBay(which are video games). With my basic store subscription it only costs 5 cents to list a game after your free listing are out, starting tomorrow it's going to be a flat 20 cents on every fixed price listing. Even during the free listing promotions they don't include relists or sell-similar. Since most of my games don't sell the first or second time around, it ultimately screws me out of selling lower ticket items and slow sellers. I just have to sell the remainder of my stuff in a year, so it looks like I'll have to start using craigslist again.
It's not enough to get me to leave but it is getting pretty stupid. They are just trying to make you sign up for a premium store account.

Every few months they just completely lie how all the change are benefitting the sellers. I wish google came in and made their own auction eBay style site with lower fees to drive eBay to be competitive and just stop increasing fees every year.

It says that there are only 20 free listings this month. Aside from the fact that it is always 50, wasn't it supposed to go up to 100 in May? Is this an error?

Not an error. Their "justification" is that they now give you "unlimited"* free auction listings.

*Must be auction style and must sell and they will reverse the listing fee.

Source: Fine print of the May seller update.

But hey...they will give you more free listings if you buy a store subscription from them. 😠

Not an error. Their "justification" is that they now give you "unlimited"* free auction listings.

*Must be auction style and must sell and they will reverse the listing fee.

Source: Fine print of the May seller update.

But hey...they will give you more free listings if you buy a store subscription from them.
If it doesn't sell, they won't reverse the listing fee?

Welp, that's it then. I've had enough. Once I send off the last of the items I've sold and take care of my fees and everything, I'm done with eBay. More trouble than it's worth. Might switch over to Amazon or something, but eBay's messed with me for the last time.

bread's done
Back