The General eBay Rant Thread

I sold a copy Heavy Rain on ebay a week and a half ago for $10 and just got a message from the buyer saying this "the game had no sound and keeps freezing for days now. the motion also doesn't sync with the controller so I'd like a refund"

I don't sell on Ebay much so should what I should I do here. Just tell them to ship it back exactly the way it was and then issue the refund.

I have a feeling they're lying since I just went through the game twice for long periods at a time to get the plat before putting it up. I'm probably going to get a bad feedback out of this too. SMH

My latest issue:

Sold a witcher 3 GOG code about a month ago, buyer filed a PayPal charge back today for "unauthorized access." No dispute on eBay for INR or SNAD. Looking at the guy's feedback, he's done the same thing on at least 8 other transactions in the last couple weeks. I sent the code through eBay, so I've got a record, but no USPS tracking to corroborate. Sent a print out via mail too, but just a stamped envelope, no tracking. Am I boned or what?

I've already responded to PayPal with his pattern of behavior and proof of my email, but I'm feeling like they'll ignore the obvious and take the money anyway since I don't have tracking info (despite this not being an INR/SNAD issue).

Also, the listed address is also the registered address of an attorney... I think my $40 is worth a phone call to see if this piece-of-trash scammer is someone they'll admit to knowing.

Also added the guy to the blocked bidder thread.

You need to prove delivery for unauthorized access. You could just ship out your email with tracking. Worth the shot. If you opt to do so, do it asap since you'll want the package to be scanned along the way.

Kind of what I figured, but man if that doesn't fly in the face of logic... Basically what I'm saying is, fuck this guy, fuck eBay for allowing guys like this to win, and fuck Paypal for not having any fucking common sense to make a just determination when given cold, hard facts.

I'll see about sending out a letter with tracking tomorrow... I'm positive he'll get his money back from PayPal, but fuck him if he thinks I'm not going to try to come out with at least something for my game.

How does ebay handle selling codes like this, especially when crap like this happens where they need proof you sent it? Personally I'd stick to trading/selling those on CAG, as scammers seem to be able to exploit the system on auction sites.

I had someone sell me a Club Nintendo code (not a new seller of course) that turned out to be fake but it was pretty easy to not even pay the guy with no downsides aside from the fact that I couldn't leave any feedback. He didn't care because he didn't lose anything either, but turned me off to the practice there altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think purely digital content is banned technically, but it's not like eBay is enforcing it consistently. There are dozens and dozens of listings for things like mine, steam codes, Xbox, etc.

What I should've done originally is explicitly state in the listing that I'd mail a sheet with the code (like you can sell physical cards for game codes/currency). That's how I've done it before... Naturally I snag a scammer the first time I don't.

I'm getting totally scammed by ezbi_lax9 (aka KGLogitech) on the Xbox 360 racing wheel I sold them. They are claiming that the battery cover is missing and want to return it for a full refund and get reimbursed for the return shipping, even though I know I put it in the box. I'd be out shipping both ways(a total of $50, and the wheel would be worth about $5-$10 less without the battery cover), so even if I sold it again I'm only getting back what I have into the wheel($20) after this loss. After I said that missing the battery cover wasn't worth returning it(I offered a $10 partial refund), and he came back with "I'm a collector and can't have any missing pieces", which is total BS since KGLogitech is a forwarding company and has attendants handing packages. No collector has 23k feedback in 5 years(over 7k feedback in the last year) with no sales. I'm totally screwed.

I'm getting totally scammed by ezbi_lax9 (aka KGLogitech) on the Xbox 360 racing wheel I sold them. They are claiming that the battery cover is missing and want to return it for a full refund and get reimbursed for the return shipping, even though I know I put it in the box. I'd be out shipping both ways(a total of $50, and the wheel would be worth about $5-$10 less without the battery cover), so even if I sold it again I'm only getting back what I have into the wheel($20) after this loss. After I said that missing the battery cover wasn't worth returning it(I offered a $10 partial refund), and he came back with "I'm a collector and can't have any missing pieces", which is total BS since KGLogitech is a forwarding company and has attendants handing packages. No collector has 23k feedback in 5 years(over 7k feedback in the last year) with no sales. I'm totally screwed.
So did the forwarding company buy it from you, or a customer of the forwarding company?

If it's a customer of the forwarding company, respond back that you're not responsible for any theft or damage to the contents of the package once it is confirmed delivered at the forwarding company, which it should be assuming you bought tracking.

So did the forwarding company buy it from you, or a customer of the forwarding company?

If it's a customer of the forwarding company, respond back that you're not responsible for any theft or damage to the contents of the package once it is confirmed delivered at the forwarding company, which it should be assuming you bought tracking.
I'm not sure who actually bought it. Here's the address I was told to ship to:

Myung Chan Kim REF
14452 s Avalon Blvd.
Gardena, CA 90248

I was initially message about the missing piece 5 days after it got delivered to the initial address, so I doubt the person in another country would have gotten it in 5 days and complained to the forwarding company. The person is now requesting either a $50 partial refund or to return it(and I'd loose $50 shipping both ways).

I sold a vita to someone, had trigger grips and a screen protector on it. In great shape. Anyway, they claimed the vita grips didn't come with it and the screen had a scratch. I 100% shipped the trigger grips ON the system and there were no scratches at all. But whatever. They only wanted a 20% refund. I'm top rated so I guess it's a small price to pay rather than deal with a negative.

A couple months back I sold an amazon card, sent the code in a PM then shipped out the card. Buyer claims it was their account used in error, so I call PayPal and they say no worries, we see where you shipped it you'll be covered and we'll get back to you in a few days. Then I see an email come through where they've sided with the seller. 

I call to see what's up and "oh..well we don't cover codes because you could've sold it and used it yourself."

I hate eBay sometimes.

I'm not sure who actually bought it. Here's the address I was told to ship to:

Myung Chan Kim REF
14452 s Avalon Blvd.
Gardena, CA 90248

I was initially message about the missing piece 5 days after it got delivered to the initial address, so I doubt the person in another country would have gotten it in 5 days and complained to the forwarding company. The person is now requesting either a $50 partial refund or to return it(and I'd loose $50 shipping both ways).
It's definitely a forwarding service dude. Again, send the the person a straightforward and professional message that you're not responsible for the damage or theft caused by the forwarding company. You've got to stand your ground on it and get eBay to take notice of the scamming going on here. Report their account to eBay. Call up eBay and talk to a human being if this gets escalated. Tell them about the scam reports from that address. Push the buyer to make it not worth their time to scam you. Ask for pictures of the damaged or missing parts. You might even roll the dice and tell the person to return it if they keep threatening to escalate it. If eBay generates a label for them from the Gardena address, I doubt they'll be able to get that in the post for verified tracking from Asia unless whoever is doing the forwarding for them is in on the scam too. I don't think eBay is going to make you eat the cost of their return label if they never enter anything into the mail system. And I doubt they'll waste their own money sending a package from Asia even if it is filled with rocks and dog shit instead of the actual item. There are probably ways you can stand up to this. You've just got to start thinking outside of the box and get proactive rather than posting here and succumbing to defeat.

Someone that brought a PS2 from me claimed it didn't read discs and the drive was dead. That's what he listed as wrong with item.

So I issue full refund and pay return shipping this guy Zafar614 sent my PS2 in a bubblier mailer back to me. When I had sent it to him in a box packaged nicely and safely.

I get it back and its cracked, bent pieces broken off.  Buyer is claiming I am scamming and damaged the console myself trying to extort him. And said he opened a USPS investigation to how the package was dropped off. I don't think he's smart enough to realize he's a total idiot for shipping a ps2 system in a bubblier mailer. He said the damage I showed him in pics defies physics and that I did it and am scamming him. 

He has like 300 feedback since 2004

I have like 15 since being a member last month. This is also the fifth PS2 I have listed in the last 6 weeks.

I wish eBay/PayPal cracked down on scammers. Even though I still kept the money, they refunded some scammer back a 100 dollars from 3 months ago.

Some woman claimed her account was compromised and everything was stolen. I of course sent to the official address so I'm okay. I then googled the girls name and it goes right to her facebook which lists her living as the exact same place where I sent the pacakge.

I even forwarded that to the paypal people showing that she was just scamming, but then I get the note saying that she got her money back but Paypal will send me over the money too because I followed the rules. How easy it is to scam them is horrible.

I had the same thing happen about 4 months ago by some crappy guy. He said his account was compromised and wanted his money back, but he had it sent to his small business! He owns one of those mobile gaming centers for birthday parties that are around now (its like a truck with systems and TVs inside them). I went online and found his facebook and address and that is where everything went. Gave PayPal all the same info how it was sent to his company that he lists on his website, facebook, etc. and they still gave him back his money. Once again I didn't lose anything, but it is stupid. That is just part of the reasons all our fees go up.

My latest issue:

Sold a witcher 3 GOG code about a month ago, buyer filed a PayPal charge back today for "unauthorized access." No dispute on eBay for INR or SNAD. Looking at the guy's feedback, he's done the same thing on at least 8 other transactions in the last couple weeks. I sent the code through eBay, so I've got a record, but no USPS tracking to corroborate. Sent a print out via mail too, but just a stamped envelope, no tracking. Am I boned or what?

I've already responded to PayPal with his pattern of behavior and proof of my email, but I'm feeling like they'll ignore the obvious and take the money anyway since I don't have tracking info (despite this not being an INR/SNAD issue).

Also, the listed address is also the registered address of an attorney... I think my $40 is worth a phone call to see if this piece-of-trash scammer is someone they'll admit to knowing.

I sold a vita to someone, had trigger grips and a screen protector on it. In great shape. Anyway, they claimed the vita grips didn't come with it and the screen had a scratch. I 100% shipped the trigger grips ON the system and there were no scratches at all. But whatever. They only wanted a 20% refund. I'm top rated so I guess it's a small price to pay rather than deal with a negative.

A couple months back I sold an amazon card, sent the code in a PM then shipped out the card. Buyer claims it was their account used in error, so I call PayPal and they say no worries, we see where you shipped it you'll be covered and we'll get back to you in a few days. Then I see an email come through where they've sided with the seller.

I call to see what's up and "oh..well we don't cover codes because you could've sold it and used it yourself."

I hate eBay sometimes.

Someone that brought a PS2 from me claimed it didn't read discs and the drive was dead. That's what he listed as wrong with item.

So I issue full refund and pay return shipping this guy Zafar614 sent my PS2 in a bubblier mailer back to me. When I had sent it to him in a box packaged nicely and safely.

I get it back and its cracked, bent pieces broken off. Buyer is claiming I am scamming and damaged the console myself trying to extort him. And said he opened a USPS investigation to how the package was dropped off. I don't think he's smart enough to realize he's a total idiot for shipping a ps2 system in a bubblier mailer. He said the damage I showed him in pics defies physics and that I did it and am scamming him.

He has like 300 feedback since 2004

I have like 15 since being a member last month. This is also the fifth PS2 I have listed in the last 6 weeks.
Hope you guys don't lose out too much, but please add these scammers to our blocked bidders list so none of us have to deal with them in the future.

I received a spanish version of a ps3 game in the mail today from good ole ebay.... No mention anywhere in the auction that it was spanish and the picture had the engligh cover on it.... UGH .... Annoying

And i was having such good luck on ebay lately.... Oh well, lets see what happens.

My latest issue:

If anyone's wondering, Paypal finally decided to get around to making a "decision" on my matter. Big 'ol middle finger to me, as "intangible items are not covered transactions." And just to really tear my ass up, they levied a $20 "charge back fee" against my account, and $1.43 in fees from somewhere else (the original transaction maybe?). Because it's obviously my fault this fucker filed a charge back and I should be responsible for Paypal losing money on it.

So, to sum up, this piece of trash gets my copy of Witcher 3, I lose $39, and they're trying to dock me another $21.43. Thus, I'm $60.43 poorer right now that I planned to be. Time to call customer service...

Edited to add: just witnessed a small miracle, the CSR actually wiped out the -$21.43 balance without any bitching. So now I'm just down a game and $39. Supposedly there's still a chance I could get my money back if Paypal is able to convince the buyer's credit card company that their charge back was fraudulent. I would think any reasonable person could look at their eBay feedback, see the 10+ complaints about BS charge backs this guy has made, and put 2 and 2 together... guess I'll find out in "75-80 days, maybe sooner" whether they end up with 4 or 7 from that equation.

If anyone's wondering, Paypal finally decided to get around to making a "decision" on my matter. Big 'ol middle finger to me, as "intangible items are not covered transactions." And just to really tear my ass up, they levied a $21.43 "charge back fee" against my account. Because it's obviously my fault this fucker filed a charge back and I should be responsible for Paypal losing money on it.

So, to sum up, this piece of trash gets my copy of Witcher 3, I lose $39, and they're trying to dock me another $21.43. Thus, I'm $60.43 poorer right now that I planned to be. Time to call customer service...
I don't have any advice for your current situation but had you shipped with Delivery Confirmation you would have won the dispute (section 11.3C of the PP User Agreement) and because you would have won you wouldn't have to pay the chargeback reimbursement fee.

I also think you wouldn't have been stuck with the fee had you just accepted to eat the loss (not sure if that is still true). There really was no way you were going to win this, even though you definitely got scammed.

I don't sell DLC anymore, when I did though I always shipped any code or digital product with Delivery Confirmation if it was valued at $30 or more. Anything else I accepted I ran the risk of taking a loss.

Yeah, I know I done fucked up...

Best part, after he opened his dispute I sent a letter with tracking to the buyer's address as-provided by eBay and the damn thing was returned undeliverable.

I got the code as a freebie with a GPU that I bought in May for the new PC I was building (was going to buy that specific GPU regardless, just a nice bonus) so I guess "technically" I haven't lost anything on this mess now that the fees have been erased. Still burns me so much.

Ugg got my first PITA buyer that bought a game. I dont sell a ton of games so this is just slightly annoying over a < $10 game.

Before buying the game they messaged me and ask for picture of the back of the game disc. I took a picture of it but didnt have a chance to respond back to them before I went to bed. They purchased the game without getting a response from me.
So I never uploaded the photo. They get the game today and claim that it was all scratched up. Uploaded a scratched disc photo to the the claim.

I responded back with the picture i took and stated that before it left my house it did not have any scratches on it.

I honestly think that its not the disc I sent them but I was just going to refund their money and let them keep the disc because its just not worth the effort or the cost to pay for return shipping plus the refund to get a messed up game back and more than likely negative feedback.

But before I could even initiated that they wrote back really rude responses. 2 right in a row and then another one like 30 min later.

Here are their messages

1st one

"yeah the picture doesn't have scratches cuz the lighting made them invisible in pictures. The one I took clearly showed them. You should know they were there before you shipped it, and yet you're claiming there's none."

2nd one

"It's not like I received it for a few days and then trying to throw you off. I just got it in mail and inspected the disc immediately. The only reason I go for an used one is that there's two disc design for this game. One is yours, color disc design, another one is plain color disc. If I got a new one, I'll need to unseal it to know which one I'll be getting. That's why I chose yours. And now there's scratches on the disc upon arrival, therefore I think I should be able to return it and get my money back."

3rd one

"and I'm pretty sure you didn't upload the picture before it left your house, since you ASSUMED I don't need those pictures anymore cuz I paid already."

I really hate when people are rude and try and pick a fight. so its making me reconsider just letting it go and letting ebay step in.
What would you do? Talk me down off a ledge over a

Might as well. Let ebay handle it. Most likely the same outcome in the end ( you giving refund), but atleast it will go on record that hes a douche. Ahaha

Might as well. Let ebay handle it. Most likely the same outcome in the end ( you giving refund), but atleast it will go on record that hes a douche. Ahaha
Does it go on my record if i just handle it now? I know it does if ebay steps in. I've been selling for a long time 10+ years and just never had these issues.

Does it go on my record if i just handle it now? I know it does if ebay steps in. I've been selling for a long time 10+ years and just never had these issues.
I'm not entirely positive, but it "goes on your record" if he leaves negative feedback. Which he might do in either case since he's trying to scam you.

Please don't forget to add this guy to our CAG blocked bidders list so we can avoid him in the future.

Please don't forget to add this guy to our CAG blocked bidders list so we can avoid him in the future.
Oh I will once this is over. I've decided not to refund and let ebay step in after this last message. Plus I'm reporting them for threating me and missuse of buyer protection.

I've only responded the first time (busy getting dinner done and my kids to bed) and this makes there 4th message back to me

"if you're not gonna let me return it, I'll ask eBay to step in on Aug 6th. Trust me, I'll make you pay for sending me a damaged good which don't match the description of the listing."

I never said that they couldnt return the item, just uploaded a photo of what the disc look like and said that this is what it looked like before I mailed it.

I"m tempted to message them back and ask if there was any dammage to the enevelope or if the disc was loose when they received it.

I hope none of you have to deal with wonderful people like this

I've been dealing with a real winner right now.

I posted up my still sealed copy of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 1 box set, which is all blu ray of course. Never opened, brand new. Guy sends me a message late in the night when I'm in bed asking if it was in perfect shape. I of course don't answer, cause I'm asleep. During the 3 hours between his message, and I wake up, he already buys it, and pays for it. So when I wake up, I see its paid for, and go ahead and box it up before I go to work. About 1 hour later I'm at work, and get a message on ebay from him. "Hey I bought and paid for this, but it was a gift for a friend. He already has it, can I cancel?". I go to check on my ebay, and it doesn't give me an option to cancel. I message him back saying "You paid for it, so see if you can cancel through ebay, as I don't see an option on my side". He messages me back, in very poor english from what I can tell, saying "I don't see a way to on my end, I'll just take it anyway, send it". So I send it later that day, tracked and insured".

Fast forward about 6 days, I get a message from him saying "hey I checked tracking, it keeps bouncing back and forth from memphis to atlanta, wheres my stuff?" I check it, and yes, it had actually been sent back and forth from memphis to atlanta 4 times by the USPS. I then proceed to go to the local PO, check it, and they are confused. I get the contact for the post master general, and contact them, which I then proceed to go through an email chase through multiple people in the USPS organization. Finally, 14 days later, the package is cleared up, and sent on to Utah, where the guy is. Of course, every day I was getting emails from him basically just saying "where's my stuff?", and I had to keep assuring him I was doing what I could to get it there.

So, now over 2 weeks into this, it shows delivered. 2 days after this, I get this message:

Hey I got the package and I think I want to return it. The box is in rough shape, and its wet. I opened up the shipping box grab the set and it felt wet and kind of slimy. I've never seen anything like it. I don't think I want to try the DVDs. So if your willing to give me a refund I would appreciate it. As I said I haven't opened the actual box just the shipping box. I'm more than happy to pay for shipping. Thanks!!
So yeah, at this point, I am irritated from the USPS, and now the guy too. But looking back at his messages, I keep seeing him call them DVDs. I'm really thinking this guy got it in, saw it was blu rays, and just now came up with this excuse. Either that or the people at the USPS are idiots and left the package out in the rain at his house, and he didn't pick it up for like 2 days. Either way, I told him to send it back by doing a request for a refund through ebay, and if it is damaged, I'm gonna have to go through the USPS claims now. I just hope he really didn't do something stupid like damage it himself just to do the claim. I'm still waiting on it to show back up to me though before I do anything. Anyone ever had to deal with anything like this?

[quote name="EdgeCrusher36" post="12841221" timestamp="1438397276"]I've been dealing with a real winner right now.

I posted up my still sealed copy of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 1 box set, which is all blu ray of course. Never opened, brand new. Guy sends me a message late in the night when I'm in bed asking if it was in perfect shape. I of course don't answer, cause I'm asleep. During the 3 hours between his message, and I wake up, he already buys it, and pays for it. So when I wake up, I see its paid for, and go ahead and box it up before I go to work. About 1 hour later I'm at work, and get a message on ebay from him. "Hey I bought and paid for this, but it was a gift for a friend. He already has it, can I cancel?". I go to check on my ebay, and it doesn't give me an option to cancel. I message him back saying "You paid for it, so see if you can cancel through ebay, as I don't see an option on my side". He messages me back, in very poor english from what I can tell, saying "I don't see a way to on my end, I'll just take it anyway, send it". So I send it later that day, tracked and insured".

Fast forward about 6 days, I get a message from him saying "hey I checked tracking, it keeps bouncing back and forth from memphis to atlanta, wheres my stuff?" I check it, and yes, it had actually been sent back and forth from memphis to atlanta 4 times by the USPS. I then proceed to go to the local PO, check it, and they are confused. I get the contact for the post master general, and contact them, which I then proceed to go through an email chase through multiple people in the USPS organization. Finally, 14 days later, the package is cleared up, and sent on to Utah, where the guy is. Of course, every day I was getting emails from him basically just saying "where's my stuff?", and I had to keep assuring him I was doing what I could to get it there.

So, now over 2 weeks into this, it shows delivered. 2 days after this, I get this message:

So yeah, at this point, I am irritated from the USPS, and now the guy too. But looking back at his messages, I keep seeing him call them DVDs. I'm really thinking this guy got it in, saw it was blu rays, and just now came up with this excuse. Either that or the people at the USPS are idiots and left the package out in the rain at his house, and he didn't pick it up for like 2 days. Either way, I told him to send it back by doing a request for a refund through ebay, and if it is damaged, I'm gonna have to go through the USPS claims now. I just hope he really didn't do something stupid like damage it himself just to do the claim. I'm still waiting on it to show back up to me though before I do anything. Anyone ever had to deal with anything like this?[/quote]

A lot of (not super smart) people call any magic movie disc a DVD.

I've been dealing with a real winner right now.

So yeah, at this point, I am irritated from the USPS, and now the guy too. But looking back at his messages, I keep seeing him call them DVDs. I'm really thinking this guy got it in, saw it was blu rays, and just now came up with this excuse. Either that or the people at the USPS are idiots and left the package out in the rain at his house, and he didn't pick it up for like 2 days. Either way, I told him to send it back by doing a request for a refund through ebay, and if it is damaged, I'm gonna have to go through the USPS claims now. I just hope he really didn't do something stupid like damage it himself just to do the claim. I'm still waiting on it to show back up to me though before I do anything. Anyone ever had to deal with anything like this?
You might try telling him to file a claim with USPS to get his money back since you insured it, since USPS accepts insurance claims from recipients for whatever reason. That way it's up to him to do something about it and whether or not he wants to go through with the scam. But I don't know if he can do that, successfully get the insurance payout, then turn around and hit you for money back through eBay. It might be a bad gamble.

Next time you probably should contact eBay about cancelling the transaction rather than telling him to look for the canellation option and having him tell you to send it anyway.

You might try telling him to file a claim with USPS to get his money back since you insured it, since USPS accepts insurance claims from recipients for whatever reason. That way it's up to him to do something about it and whether or not he wants to go through with the scam. But I don't know if he can do that, successfully get the insurance payout, then turn around and hit you for money back through eBay. It might be a bad gamble.

Next time you probably should contact eBay about cancelling the transaction rather than telling him to look for the canellation option and having him tell you to send it anyway.
Although the recipient can file the for USPS insurance, I would feel that most eBay buyers would either be unwilling to go through the trouble themselves when they can simply take the lazy route and say "Seller, I want my refund now. You deal with this mess." Or alternatively leaving the seller a negative or non-positive review "for not resolving the situation quickly enough" or something along those lines.

The other choice would be to insure under eBay's own private insurance, which supposedly is easier / more quicker in the "investigation" component. I don't have any direct experience with their claims process myself, so I can't say for sure.

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys tend to do. Always ship with insurance, sometimes, or some other criteria? USPS insurance vs eBay insurance? USPS vs Fedex vs UPS?

Personally, I tend to go with USPS, Priority Mail for the free $50 insurance when it makes sense. If it's much more than that, then maybe eBay insurance (even though it pains me to feed them even more) "just in case" for the "convenience"...

I used the private insurance, and it worked out the one time I needed it.

Shipped a console to an APO address (in Korea or somewhere). It arrived cracked. Buyer spend a month trying to work it out with the manufacturer, but had issues due to APO. eBay insurance reimbursed me for the refund in a couple of days.

I personally would rather deal with the usps myself, mainly cause I have had to do that once before, and I don't trust the guy to do it correctly or not screw me over in some way.  I'll have to see about it though, as I have yet to hear back from the guy in a week, and he has not sent me any kind of tracking on it or anything.  I'm gonna message him tonight and ask if he has sent it yet.  It's amazing how people can constant message you when they are waiting, but when it's your turn, they take their time.  

I'm still confused about mine now.  I messaged the guy last night, cause I was tired of waiting on him to hear anything.  I of course try to be polite as possible, as I have been this whole transaction.  I just asked if he had gotten around to sending it back.  Got a reply back in about an hour saying "Sorry, was busy, and forgot, ill get that out tomorrow".  Normally if I have 130+ bucks in limbo, I try to remember stuff.  So I went to work today, and a few hours later, I get another message saying "Didn't know if you got my message, but I forgot, sending it out today".   Ok cool, I'm ready to get it back.

Then 30 minutes after that, I get a message saying "Hey Ive chaged my mind, I went through the dvds and they ran just fine. Im sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have wasted enough of your time and will be writing my review right now. Thanks!!! "

I don't know what just happened, but he canceled the return, and paypal freed up the money.  I guess it's a win for me, so I can't complain, but this is the oddest case I've dealt with.

Well if they were still sealed of course they'd be fine, they're just discs. Maybe they were worried about the cover art and such. The whole damaged items process is pretty confusing, but it seems like usually eBay will cover any major issues their preferred carrier (USPS) causes; at least in my experience.

I've had buyers chicken out at the last minute when it comes to returns. I think they don't want to bother with the inconvenience of shipping out with tracking :shrug:

A buyer bought two games from me on ebay, and he said someone broke into his apartment building and stole everyone's mail, and the package I sent him was gutted and the contents stolen. He requested a full refund and said "I was covered on my end."

What should I do? I don't think ebay will cover me, I will lose the money. I'm sure I have to file some type of insurance claim.

Btw, he may be telling the truth, but I love how the day my package arrived "happened" to be on the same day this burglar broke in and ransacked the building.

But the seller opened a "return" case against me on ebay. He can't return anything, so.... how would that work?

A buyer bought two games from me on ebay, and he said someone broke into his apartment building and stole everyone's mail, and the package I sent him was gutted and the contents stolen. He requested a full refund and said "I was covered on my end."

What should I do? I don't think ebay will cover me, I will lose the money. I'm sure I have to file some type of insurance claim.

Btw, he may be telling the truth, but I love how the day my package arrived "happened" to be on the same day this burglar broke in and ransacked the building.

But the seller opened a "return" case against me on ebay. He can't return anything, so.... how would that work?
Usually when the buyer claims that they didn't receive the item(even thought the tracking number says delivered), ebay will refund the buyer out of their pocket and let the seller keep the money. Ebay says you were covered by seller protection when they side on the case. This has happened to me several times in the past year and this seems to always be the outcome. You just need to provide the tracking # and say that it was delivered on ... And then I usually just tell the buyer to escalate the claim.

What was the value of the games if you don't mind me asking.If it's less than 50 it seems it might be true what happened and anything over 50 he could be trying to screw you over.

Usually when the buyer claims that they didn't receive the item(even thought the tracking number says delivered), ebay will refund the buyer out of their pocket and let the seller keep the money. Ebay says you were covered by seller protection when they side on the case. This has happened to me several times in the past year and this seems to always be the outcome. You just need to provide the tracking # and say that it was delivered on ... And then I usually just tell the buyer to escalate the claim.
But do you have to file a claim specifically categorized as "didn't receive item"? He opened a SNAD, and in the "notes" section, he stated the package was ripped open and missing contents.

What was the value of the games if you don't mind me asking.If it's less than 50 it seems it might be true what happened and anything over 50 he could be trying to screw you over.
It was $35 or so. He may not be lying, just a weird coincidence is all. Burglars typically want to get in get out. I don't get why the burglar wouldn't just snatch the whole box. Why waste time cutting it open to rummage through? It was a small box on top of it.

It was $35 or so. He may not be lying, just a weird
coincidence is all. Burglars typically want to get in get out. I don't get why the burglar wouldn't just snatch the whole box. Why waste time cutting it open to rummage through? It was a small box on top of it.
It seems too coincidental but you never know crazier shit has happened. In any case I'm sorry that happened to you .

Whether he's telling the truth or not, I'm a little confused why the seller would be responsible for the mail getting stolen. I know it's been said eBay would "cover" for the seller, but damn.

Yeah how is it the sellers fault at all? The item arrived, your problems are over. Someone broke in and stole it.......no way in hell a seller can do anything to prevent that! 

I wouldn't respond to the buyer, and if he escalates the claim, use his own words against him when responding to eBay - he admits his residence was burglarized and ransacked and what you sent him was part of that. That's not your responsibility under eBay's terms and conditions, nor is it really eBay's responsibility. It's not even something USPS should be looking into. This situation is for his homeowner/renter insurance and a police report.

And ShadowAssassin, are you the Bad Luck Brian meme of this thread? Every time you post here it's like a buyer is screwing you over yet again. How do you attract so many bad buyers?

Whether he's telling the truth or not, I'm a little confused why the seller would be responsible for the mail getting stolen. I know it's been said eBay would "cover" for the seller, but damn.
. Yeah I agree with this reply: the package made it exactly to the destination requested by the buyer. The buyer (lucky for you) admitted his mail was unsecure.

This is a problem for the renter/buyer between his landlord for lack of security and/or rental insurance that he likely is failing to carry.

Source: I made this all up

So basically, I should just tell him I'm not responsible?

I feel kinda bad, he was polite. I don't mean I want to eat the money, but I'm not sure exactly what to tell him to do. I guess tell him to contact eBay himself?

You could contact USPS and see what they recommend. You could also suggest you need a copy of the police report to file with USPS. If he's lying, that'd put an end to it pretty quick. Even if he's not lying I'd be surprised if he went through the effort.

So basically, I should just tell him I'm not responsible?

I feel kinda bad, he was polite. I don't mean I want to eat the money, but I'm not sure exactly what to tell him to do. I guess tell him to contact eBay himself?
Sometimes doing nothing is the best course of action. Don't respond or message him or tell him what to do. Either he will figure it out on his own, or he already knows what he's supposed to do but he's trying to take a short cut by getting money back from you. There's a chance he will just do nothing and go away. Add him to your blocked buyers list as well.

If he then escalates it to a full open case with eBay, then you can speak up, use his words against him, and explain how you're not responsible for this under eBay or PayPal's policy and that he should file a police report and a renter's insurance/homeowner's insurance report, not an eBay case.

Don't contact USPS or anything like that. It's a SNAD case, not INR. USPS has nothing to do with it unless there's insurance on the package he wants to try and claim. It's not your job to do anything for this guy.

bread's done
Back