The General eBay Rant Thread

But if the item was stolen, wouldn't it be Item Not Received? I don't think it can even go that far, because as soon as it's delivered (which both parties agree it was) then the seller can't possibly be held accountable for anything in my opinion. It's either under the responsibility of the apartment complex (though they likely waive liability to stolen mail items) or the buyer since it's their property at that point. Also, federal offense to tamper with mail lol, don't do it.

If what happened is true, it's extraordinarily bizarre and unfortunate, unless you're in a bad neighborhood. In that case you should expect that something like this can happen and be prepared. It's definitely a factor when I'm choosing a new area to live xD

Here is a similar thread on eBay forums where people agree, oce delivered, the mail is the recipient's responsibility.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Policies-User-Agreement/Buyer-says-item-was-stolen-from-porch-and-now-wants-a-refund/qaq-p/18322549

You can still be kind enough to explain, especially if your customer is being reasonable, that unfortunately reimbursement is out of your hands, but that he may have some success contacting eBay, PayPay, and/or the delivery service, if he has no success with his landlords or a rental insurance.

Also, as someone mentions in the thread I linked, they say the recipient cannot threaten you with negative feedback, or it falls under an extortion category that eBay should help resolve (or so they say).

I'm surprised eBay doesn't throw something like this back on the seller citing them for not requiring a signature for delivery. I always thought they did and why I always have been leery of sending things to apartments or any kind of package I know that's not going to fit in a mailbox since not everyone has a porch or backdoor/whatever. Good to know I guess but I'm two items away from "retiring" from selling on eBay again. Took two summers but pretty much all of my old stuff or found things from my parents house are sold off or donated. I'm sure I'll be selling again if I see a good flip or come across something else here that's eluded me the last couple years but should be done although I  literally just thought of something else I have in storage that needs to go so there you go lol.

Hmm well this is weird. Went USPS to ship something and they told me the address does not show up. The state and zip code are fine, but not the actual address. 

Should I message the buyer to fix their address? Or will this void seller protection? Never had this happen before.

Paypal says the sender of this payment is Unverified. The address is confirmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Double check with the buyer first.

Did you happen to remember the weight when it was on the scale? If so, just print out a label from eBay. Automatic tracking and save a few cents.

Double check with the buyer first.

Did you happen to remember the weight when it was on the scale? If so, just print out a label from eBay. Automatic tracking and save a few cents.
Yeah I may just print a label instead. There wouldn't be any issue then doing that? Or is there a chance it will still come back if the address is invalid?

It's the same address if I pick USPS or FedEx for printing a label.

I've had two problems for the first time in a lonnnnng time.

First person dind't get his thing through global shipping. It said it was waiting for pick up and then returned back to sender. It was over in Austria or something so who knows where it is ending up. He opened it through Paypal, I hope it is still handled the same way since Paypal and eBay are separate companies now.

Second is a person just opened a return request saying "The console does not work. I need to either be refunded for the console and controller, or everything." It was for a dreamcast. I tested it out for about an hour actual playing Jet Set Radio so I really doubt it doens't work. I asked them for a better description, pics, etc.

Can I still make them pay return shipping if I don't agree. I don't really care abut the feedback at this point. I haven't gotten a negative in about a year or so.

I don't think you have the worry about the first one, since you're only responsible for the package up to the eBay shipping center.

The second, I don't think you'll win.

The first one happened once before and I had no problem, but that was when eBay and PayPal were the same company. I just hope being separate now doesn't make it harder.

I know I won't win the second, but I am considering pushing to make them pay for shipping. You use to be able to force them to pay for the return shipping back in the day, but I haven't had a return case in about 10 months (and I won that one because the person didn't follow the eBay rules for returning).

The person with the Dreamcast may be just a dope. She said she plugged it in the TV and doesn't get any picture or anything. If she honestly can't get it to work I'm guessing she can't figure out the inputs on her TV or something similar.

Bah - another one. Person bought an audio mixer.

Now 50 days after delivery they say they want to return. "unit has moving head amps, can be used as is but motor has excessive flutter and machine is not cost effective to repair. Would you be willing to provide me a full refund if I return the machine? Thanks!"

So nearly two months. Can I deny this return (there is a deny option).

I thought ebay gave 6 month for people, but looking at ebay's website it says.

"A buyer must request a return no later than 30 days after the actual (or latest estimated) delivery date, or, if the seller's return window is longer, within the return window."

Did they change their rules again? I thought it wasw 45 days, and then 6 months but on the eBay page it says this.

http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/questions.html

Did they finally change the rules to help sellers a little.

Bah - another one. Person bought an audio mixer.

Now 50 days after delivery they say they want to return. "unit has moving head amps, can be used as is but motor has excessive flutter and machine is not cost effective to repair. Would you be willing to provide me a full refund if I return the machine? Thanks!"

So nearly two months. Can I deny this return (there is a deny option).

I thought ebay gave 6 month for people, but looking at ebay's website it says.

"A buyer must request a return no later than 30 days after the actual (or latest estimated) delivery date, or, if the seller's return window is longer, within the return window."

Did they change their rules again? I thought it wasw 45 days, and then 6 months but on the eBay page it says this.

http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/questions.html

Did they finally change the rules to help sellers a little.
It's Paypal that changed to give people 180 days.

I've neverh had someone wait pretty much two months before. Can I just deny this and see if they go through PayPal? If they go through one and get denied can they go through the other?

On paypal's website it states 45 days here:

https://www.paypal.com/c2/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/buy/Protection-outside

If you run into a problem with your purchase, here's what you should do:

• Step 1: Go to our Resolution Center and open a dispute. (Note: Your dispute must be raised within 45 days of the payment date)

I've never had someone wait pretty much two months before. Can I just deny this and see if they go through PayPal? If they go through one and get denied can they go through the other?
I was on the buyer end of an eBay issue recently, bought a huge lot of DVD ER seasons from a buyer, like an idiot I trusted the sellers "Very Good" condition and I didn't bother to check each disc. Took about two months of watching to get around to the 10th season which had really bad circular scratches on all the discs, and caused more than half of those episodes to not play properly.

So to confirm what has been said, it was outside of the eBay return / resolution window, so the only option was the Paypal route. In the end I was reasonable with the seller and just asked for a partial credit, enough to get the discs resurfaced, but I could of used the purchase protection via Paypal if I wanted to.

I denied. See what happens. I feel like after 2 months I should at least put up a fight. Especially when the person says it does work, but they don't like the motor flutter or something.

I'm going to rant about myself - I forgot to use my last 15 or so free listings tonight. All I had to do was literally click "relist" on some stuff and boom, problem solved. Instead, I waste them all. Damn it.

The only up side is apparently I get 80 additional listings for free (on top of the usual categories of 20 free) between now and half-way through October: "List FREE – Up to 80 auction-style or fixed priced listings"

I know this is the Rant topic, but there's no brag topic. I just bought a bundle of Stella Deus The Gate of Eternity and SMT Digital Devil Saga, both brand new for $29.54 shipped from a sucker awesome seller! I already have the Deluxe Box Set of DDS of which both games I already beat, so I'm planning to sell the new one to recoup some of my cost. I won out big this time!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, or when this update took place, but I see that the USPS tracking is a bit more detailed upon delivery.  Before it used to just say "Delivered", now it actually says Delivered in Mailbox, Delivered on Front Porch, etc.  Also I had one package that they said "Notice Left (No Secure Location Available)", then it was sent to the post office for customer pick up.

This is a nice subtle touch I think, not sure how long that has been added like that, just paid attention to it now.

Just a heads up for those who sell frequently on eBay. eBay is going and pulling listings and issuing policy violations for any item they think has been miscategorized.

I got hit twice last week for a Doom T-Shirt and TLOU backpack I had listed in "Video Game Merchandise". I was told that the backpack belongs in clothing > backpacks and the t-shirt in clothing > T-shirts.

I called in and asked what then does the "Video Game Merchandise" category apply to if I can't sell video game merchandise and after a long hold the rep said she understands my point but when she contacted the appeals department she was told that the decision was correct and nothing that could be done.

Just wanted to let people know they may have to think about recategorizing their items if eBay is going to continue to be foolish. In the past it only took a few violations before ebay started restricting selling privileges. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned, or when this update took place, but I see that the USPS tracking is a bit more detailed upon delivery. Before it used to just say "Delivered", now it actually says Delivered in Mailbox, Delivered on Front Porch, etc. Also I had one package that they said "Notice Left (No Secure Location Available)", then it was sent to the post office for customer pick up.

This is a nice subtle touch I think, not sure how long that has been added like that, just paid attention to it now.
It's due to USPS getting new scanners that the carriers have on hand back in the spring. It now has that stuff added along with realtime updating. It's supposedly due to them handling more packages now and increased competition. Which explains why the delivery spot reminds me of UPS doing the same thing.

It's due to USPS getting new scanners that the carriers have on hand back in the spring. It now has that stuff added along with realtime updating. It's supposedly due to them handling more packages now and increased competition. Which explains why the delivery spot reminds me of UPS doing the same thing.
Thanks for the info, honestly my selling slowed down earlier in the year, just started picking it up again over the past month or so.

Ok so I have a question about USPS delivery. So I bought an item via ebay and it says that it was delivered today around 10am and was left on the front door/porch but when I came home there was nothing there.So my question or questions is has this ever happened to anybody and is there a chance that it was not delivered but USPS made an error and could still have the package to be delivered tomorrow or possibly the next day after?

Ok so I have a question about USPS delivery. So I bought an item via ebay and it says that it was delivered today around 10am and was left on the front door/porch but when I came home there was nothing there.So my question or questions is has this ever happened to anybody and is there a chance that it was not delivered but USPS made an error and could still have the package to be delivered tomorrow or possibly the next day after?
I've had that happen before. It's possible someone might've took it while you were gone or delivered to the wrong place. But it could also be that the carrier was just lazy or forgot about it on your route. Which if so, they probably scanned it delivered at their van/truck before they started delivering on your street(which they can get in trouble for) and put it back in the bin for tomorrow.

You can wait and see if it is comes tomorrow. You can also check with the local post office in the morning before the carriers start tomorrow(it's best before 9 am) and see if it was left behind. Which it would be in the stack for your route.

I've had that happen before. It's possible someone might've took it while you were gone or delivered to the wrong place. But it could also be that the carrier was just lazy or forgot about it on your route. Which if so, they probably scanned it delivered at their van/truck before they started delivering on your street(which they can get in trouble for) and put it back in the bin for tomorrow.

You can wait and see if it is comes tomorrow. You can also check with the local post office in the morning before the carriers start tomorrow(it's best before 9 am) and see if it was left behind. Which it would be in the stack for your route.
Well I live in an apt complex and on the second floor but on the 2nd floor there's only 4 units and I know all my neighbors and they would give the package had it been delivered to there door.Also since I live on top the only ppl who would walk across that hall way would be the neighbors so my guess is that the driver did get lazy and scanned it but did not deliver it.Hopefully it shows up tomorrow and btw did your item get delivered the next day or did a neighbor have it?

Well I live in an apt complex and on the second floor but on the 2nd floor there's only 4 units and I know all my neighbors and they would give the package had it been delivered to there door.Also since I live on top the only ppl who would walk across that hall way would be the neighbors so my guess is that the driver did get lazy and scanned it but did not deliver it.Hopefully it shows up tomorrow and btw did your item get delivered the next day or did a neighbor have it?
I've had it happen a few times. Once it turned out that it was delivered to the wrong address(apparently got the street numbers mixed up), which the neighbor wrote "wrong address" on it and I got it the day after it was scanned delivered.

But since I moved a couple years ago and now live about a minute or two away from the local PO. I usually just go in the next morning and got the package at the counter at the PO before the carrier started for the day when it happens. This way I knew that it wasn't delivered incorrectly. Plus it avoids possibly another day of it being missed and put back on the truck for the following day.

I've had it happen a few times. Once it turned out that it was delivered to the wrong address(apparently got the street numbers mixed up), which the neighbor wrote "wrong address" on it and I got it the day after it was scanned delivered.

But since I moved a couple years ago and now live about a minute or two away from the local PO. I usually just go in the next morning and got the package at the counter at the PO before the carrier started for the day when it happens. This way I knew that it wasn't delivered incorrectly. Plus it avoids possibly another day of it being missed and put back on the truck for the following day.
I've also had garbage happen to me where the sender doesn't weigh the package and put enough postage on it. Then they leave you a notice saying they're holding your package hostage until you pay their ransom (postage due). You're supposed to leave it in the small envelope they leave in your mailbox, but if your box is a pass-through like most apartments it's probably small and they won't see it. I had to wait 2 days through this before I got fed up and went down to the P.O. and rescued it xD

Not a common occurrence though, you definitely would have seen notice somewhere.

eBay has sent a targeted 5x eBay bucks offer to various eBay users. That's the best promo they offer but it's always a short window (until end of day tomorrow). Anybody have any good ideas that cost at least $50+ to use this on?

Not a surprise but I dealt with my first refund purchase using an eBay gift card and can confirm that any amounts refunded will go back to your original gift card number. I see my number in the email confirmation so if you were to ever lose it, you should be fine looking up your refund email.

I sold an item marked as is because I didn't have the power cord to test it. Now a month later I get a return request because the buyer said the changed their mind. Can the leave negative feedback if I decline the request. I have 100% feedback and don't want it mess it up

God, I hate this new eBay mobile app. The layout is more convoluted, menus are somehow more cluttered, and I can't take more than 1 picture without the app creating a new listing for every picture at least once. Freaking annoying.

God, I hate this new eBay mobile app. The layout is more convoluted, menus are somehow more cluttered, and I can't take more than 1 picture without the app creating a new listing for every picture at least once. Freaking annoying.
If you are on Android, you could find an apk of the old version and install that instead. That's basically what I did.

I declined that return request from a weeks ago and never heard back. Hopefully that is the end of him. Of course since he was 60 days to ask to return he may way another 60 to complain about it.

God, I hate this new eBay mobile app. The layout is more convoluted, menus are somehow more cluttered, and I can't take more than 1 picture without the app creating a new listing for every picture at least once. Freaking annoying.
Another thing I hate about the new app, it doesn't seem to update near as seamlessly as the older app, so I can't really trust it to check for sold items (Gmail Inbox is better for that now...).

So, I got outbid on a big amiibo lot, but the top bidder backed out. Got a second chance offer for my top bid over $360 and took it.

I then checked the rest of my e-mail and noticed a 4x eBay Bucks offer. ARGH!

It was 44 amiibo, 80% of which I already own and will re-sell, but it also included all the rare amiibo I don't own except for Palutena. And all of them are opened, so a few unopened ones I have (such as Robin, Marth, and the Splatoon trio) I can sell those.

It also has Gold Mario, which I will use for Mario Maker and then sell.

Well, I have almost everything but super common ones, Little Mac, Ike, and Villager. All but Sonic unopened.

I should figure out how much to sell it for, cause I'm mostly done with amiibos.

bread's done
Back