The General eBay Rant Thread

More amiibo fun.

Won an auction with Bowser Jr., Olimar, Ike, and Modern 8-bit Mario for $22, though shipping was double that. Auction used photos of the boxed amiibo in somebody's house.

I then get a message saying the photos were stock photos and that the amiibo were damaged so he cancelled my transaction. Suuuuuure they were...

Last edited by a moderator:
More amiibo fun.

Won an auction with Bowser Jr., Olimar, Ike, and Modern 8-bit Mario for $22, though shipping was double that. Auction used photos of the boxed amiibo in somebody's house.

I then get a message saying the photos were stock photos and that the amiibo were damaged so he cancelled my transaction. Suuuuuure they were...
Neg his ass

Have you guys ever purchased multiple gift card offers from Paypal digital before?  I got a 5x eBay bucks promo link today and looked at the Best Buy $100 GC + $10 eBay gift card offer that I bought last week and it's allowing me go to checkout with an additional two.  I'd like to purchase more but I've read how eBay gets strict about purchase limits.  

Well, looks like ol' eBay got caught with its pants down! Just got an email saying how "excited" they were that they would be doing 50 free fixed-price listings for the holidays. Just how "excited" is eBay to be returning to their old policy before they decided to give the big middle finger to their loyal sellers and demand more money from us? Let's find out!

Never change, fleaBay.

I sold 4 things in the last 2 months and my new invoice still hasn't shown up. Is this a glitch? It says I have a current balance but there's no September/October invoice. 

Just a heads up that the 80 free listings + 20 usual free listings expire at the end of today, so now is a good time to binge list if you've got a lot to sell. I think tomorrow they roll out 50 free listings and increased categories in which you can use them.

How do you guys know if you receive a Paypal family and friends payment?  When I look at the email I don't see any such mention and nor do I see anything when I log onto my Paypal account and click on the details.

Sold 7 criterion blu-rays for $70 with free shipping the other day. Which is already a hell of a deal for the buyer. I got an email today from them saying their was a crack in the plastic on the bottom of two of the cases. I offered them a $5 refund for the cases. They refused and said they wanted $10. I told them just to send them back and I'll reimburse the shipping. fuck em I'll just relist them with a higher buy it now this time.

Ship out a game this morning and then get a message from the buyer that they want it shipped to some fucking Virgin Island? Dude has 500 feedback but I obviously already shipped it. fuck him right? As long as I sent to the eBay confirmed PayPal address I'm safe right? I used PayPal shipping BTW.

Ship out a game this morning and then get a message from the buyer that they want it shipped to some fucking Virgin Island? Dude has 500 feedback but I obviously already shipped it. fuck him right? As long as I sent to the eBay confirmed PayPal address I'm safe right? I used PayPal shipping BTW.
You're safe from an INR claim. Buyers always might pull a SNAD claim.

Is there a way to do Bulk Shipping using the Selling Manager? For some reason, the old Selling page is not loading for me and when I print labels via Selling Manager, it always only does one label.

I posted this in a separate thread in the "auctions" sub-category but just wanted to give a heads up. The ESA (Entertainment Software Association) is contracting a third party "Market Track" (http://markettrack.com/) to troll eBay for unauthorized use of copyrighted (i.e. stock photos) photos.

I have two juggernaut editions of COD: BO III (PS4) coming tomorrow from Amazon and I thought I'd sell one as my girlfiriend is really the only one who plays COD games.

Anyways I used stock photos from Amazon and the listing was pulled as a vero copyright violation shortly thereafter. Sold a lot of new items on eBay using stock photos pulled from Amazon, Gamestop, etc. and never had this happened. I'm not sure on whose behalf ESA is having this company pull these (i.e. Sony? Activision?) but kind of scummy since often times eBay will have stock photos attached to product details when you create a new listing.

Not sure if they're just flexing their muscles (typically ESA deals with piracy issues) or if it was a mistake.

Will obviously relist tomorrow when I can take my own photos but not pysched about getting a policy violation over this.

For the record that's why I don't use stock photos. Not even photos from other listings or online. I always make my own photos.

Having someone saying their Ti-83 isn't working right after a month.

Their complaint says:

As you are entering data about 4 spaces from the edge of the screen the cursor skips to the end of the screen and leaves a gap. There is also a line in the upper right corner of the screen

[attachment=18128:ticalc.png][attachment=18129:ticalc1.png]

I have to borrow someone's Ti-83 now to figure it out. Is this a setting or anything.

I have a question for the eBay sellers in here.  If you get an item back from a return, do you wait out the full time-frame before issuing a refund or do you issue it pretty quickly after the item arrives back to you?

Good to know.  I had someone I bought a headset from on eBay that was missing items and had a funky sweat smell.  I did a return on it and he did the refund last night, as eBay would have been involved today if he didn't refund it last night.

Seemed a bit irksome that it took that long for him to refund it back to me when he had the returned item since the 30th or 31st.

One thing I've noticed that's interesting about eBay is how they want to skirt any responsibility for dealing with troublesome members outside of transactions.

Years ago I got an email from someone I bought from and had a dispute with because he forgot to include something, and he threated me with physical violence. eBay just didn't give a shit and said it wasn't their problem despite the written proof. I realize if I really felt threatened, I could go to the police, as that's what they're for. This particularly challenged individual was across the country, so I was a bit alarmed but guessed the odds of him actually carrying out his threat were low. But eBay would rather force people to complain to law enforcement than invest the time or energy into disciplining or banning its own troublesome members. There was proof this idiot sent me a threat, but eBay is more than content to allow him to continue to spend money on their website, because at the end of the day, the almighty dollar speaks loudest.

I recently got an email from another idiot who I had previously declined a "Best Offer" from (and I didn't even outright decline it, I just let it expire), bragging to me he got the item in better condition and for a cheaper price, so I should enjoy never being able to sell my item. Obviously the idiot went right on the blocked buyer's list. But out of curiosity I wanted to see if there was a way to report him, because the message at that point was genuinely not about the item in question anymore - it's sole purpose was to harass and try to inflame me. It was spam. eBay's rules/policy states you: "Can't use our member-to-member contact options to send spam or threats." In reality, it was a minor annoyance the way I perceived it. But shit stains like that are obviously going to be trouble at some point for other users and in other transactions. If I can just click a button and possibly get this idiot's account flagged, hey, why not?

But alas, eBay has no way to report them. They literally just say "Sometimes another eBay user's behavior and communications are out of line with eBay community practices, yet not against eBay policy. Even if the actions are in violation of eBay policies, we aren't always able to investigate policy violations. Consider working with another eBay user." Well no shit eBay. Of course I'm going to work with another user. And of course you don't care if policies are violated as long as people are still buying and selling and you're making money.

Obviously the best course of action is just to ignore the idiots, but I felt compelled to kindly tell this person I was concerned for his mental health since he took an eBay Best Offer expiration so personally, so he should look into mental health resources online and that I hope he gets the help he needs. Although I guess it would be interesting if my response made the guy think "Yeah, what was I thinking? Why am I so empty and unhappy inside that I felt the need to send that first email? Maybe I should talk to someone."

One thing I've noticed that's interesting about eBay is how they want to skirt any responsibility for dealing with troublesome members outside of transactions.

Years ago I got an email from someone I bought from and had a dispute with because he forgot to include something, and he threated me with physical violence. eBay just didn't give a shit and said it wasn't their problem despite the written proof. I realize if I really felt threatened, I could go to the police, as that's what they're for. This particularly challenged individual was across the country, so I was a bit alarmed but guessed the odds of him actually carrying out his threat were low. But eBay would rather force people to complain to law enforcement than invest the time or energy into disciplining or banning its own troublesome members. There was proof this idiot sent me a threat, but eBay is more than content to allow him to continue to spend money on their website, because at the end of the day, the almighty dollar speaks loudest.

I recently got an email from another idiot who I had previously declined a "Best Offer" from (and I didn't even outright decline it, I just let it expire), bragging to me he got the item in better condition and for a cheaper price, so I should enjoy never being able to sell my item. Obviously the idiot went right on the blocked buyer's list. But out of curiosity I wanted to see if there was a way to report him, because the message at that point was genuinely not about the item in question anymore - it's sole purpose was to harass and try to inflame me. It was spam. eBay's rules/policy states you: "Can't use our member-to-member contact options to send spam or threats." In reality, it was a minor annoyance the way I perceived it. But shit stains like that are obviously going to be trouble at some point for other users and in other transactions. If I can just click a button and possibly get this idiot's account flagged, hey, why not?

But alas, eBay has no way to report them. They literally just say "Sometimes another eBay user's behavior and communications are out of line with eBay community practices, yet not against eBay policy. Even if the actions are in violation of eBay policies, we aren't always able to investigate policy violations. Consider working with another eBay user." Well no shit eBay. Of course I'm going to work with another user. And of course you don't care if policies are violated as long as people are still buying and selling and you're making money.

Obviously the best course of action is just to ignore the idiots, but I felt compelled to kindly tell this person I was concerned for his mental health since he took an eBay Best Offer expiration so personally, so he should look into mental health resources online and that I hope he gets the help he needs. Although I guess it would be interesting if my response made the guy think "Yeah, what was I thinking? Why am I so empty and unhappy inside that I felt the need to send that first email? Maybe I should talk to someone."
Wow, I haven't had any issues like these with any members, so far anyways. But I do feel for you, most of these people are just bumming around anyways. I doubt they'll do much of anything.

The closest thing I had was a buyer sent me an offer on an item that was only available through a contest, he offered me an extremely low price(I think it was $10-$20). His reasoning was that I should accept because I got it for free. Lol whut?

Sold an item 3 days ago to a buyer with 4 feedback which was worrying to begin with and he never paid. I've sent him three messages now and opened an unpaid item case last night, but I don't get why eBay's ridiculous policy makes me wait another 4 days before I can cancel. It's been hard enough trying to sell this thing and now I can't even relist it for another 3 days.

Sold an item 3 days ago to a buyer with 4 feedback which was worrying to begin with and he never paid. I've sent him three messages now and opened an unpaid item case last night, but I don't get why eBay's ridiculous policy makes me wait another 4 days before I can cancel. It's been hard enough trying to sell this thing and now I can't even relist it for another 3 days.
Probably a competitor buying it off of one of his fake account to let his have more exposure. Is the buyer from a foreign country? What's his feedback say?

Is anyone's Watch List broken? Only about half of my items are showing up. I have 40 items in the list and have it set to 25 items per page, and only half of them are appearing. 21 in total. The other 19 are nowhere to be found.

Probably a competitor buying it off of one of his fake account to let his have more exposure. Is the buyer from a foreign country? What's his feedback say?
His feedback is all buyer feedback and it's positive. He's from New York and I think he's a Mayor in one of the towns up there going off of his profile.

Ebay CAGS, I sold an item on eBay this morning as a 3 day auction with a Buy It Now price also. At the last minute someone with 1 feedback outbid someone by $1. After contacting the buyer about payment and shipping, he said he couldn't pay until Monday. In the product description I put *Must Pay Immediately. Can I do anything should I wait it out?

I Sent him a message.
"Not to be rude, but why would you bid on a item you couldn't purchase at that time? It stated in the description that you must Pay Immediately upon the auction ending."

His response:
I get paid on Monday and can pay you then. My bad. I didn't read the description at all."

This really bums me out. I've been a long time eBay member but have only bought 20 things or so. Just now starting to sell a little bit, and I'm trying to boost my seller stats. The whole, we hold your money thing is the main drawback. I sold my first time in January of this year. And have sold maybe 9 or 10 things total. With about $900 in sales. Anyone know what you have to meet for PayPal not to hold the payment?

Ebay CAGS, I sold an item on eBay this morning as a 3 day auction with a Buy It Now price also. At the last minute someone with 1 feedback outbid someone by $1. After contacting the buyer about payment and shipping, he said he couldn't pay until Monday. In the product description I put *Must Pay Immediately. Can I do anything should I wait it out?

I Sent him a message.
"Not to be rude, but why would you bid on a item you couldn't purchase at that time? It stated in the description that you must Pay Immediately upon the auction ending."

His response:
I get paid on Monday and can pay you then. My bad. I didn't read the description at all."

This really bums me out. I've been a long time eBay member but have only bought 20 things or so. Just now starting to sell a little bit, and I'm trying to boost my seller stats. The whole, we hold your money thing is the main drawback. I sold my first time in January of this year. And have sold maybe 9 or 10 things total. With about $900 in sales. Anyone know what you have to meet for PayPal not to hold the payment?
I think it was either wait 21 days, or the buyer has to leave you positive feedback.

I Sent him a message.

His response:

Honestly it is up to you. I have buyers doing the same thing from time to time and so far for me, no issues. I don't mind waiting for payments as long as they keep their word.

In regards to the PayPal hold, I believe this is the criteria, I'm not sure if it has been changed though. I don't think it has.

• You have been an eBay member for more than 6 months, and
  • Your total Feedback score is greater than 100, and
  • Fewer than 5% of your transactions result in dissatisfied buyers*
Or

• Your average DSR is greater than 4.5, and
  • You have received more than 20 DSRs in the last 12 months
And as already mentioned by previous poster

• The buyer leaves you positive feedback
  • 3 days pass after proof the item was delivered
  • 21 days pass without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on the transaction

Anyone know what you have to meet for PayPal not to hold the payment?
It's as previously posted above I believe, but in general it still seems misleading. I'm pretty sure this has changed a few times as well, because I too initially had something like a 3+ week hold on funds that was quite irritating when I started years ago. Then I was fine, and then after being away from eBay for a year or so they started holding them again.

It's not friendly against moderate to low-use sellers. They're quick to take your money through instant transfers but very cautious about how they hand over your proceeds (after taxing the hell out of it first). Just gotta blame it on those who refuse to do business honestly I guess and ruin it for others =/

Their rates are very fair. I don't ever understand why people complain. They charge less than auction houses, pawn shops, and pretty much any other venue. Even in most cases, Amazon.

And of course, blame the bad apples. I'm don't praise eBay myself, despite the previous paragraph, but that part really isn't their fault. Taking out reporting for threatening messages? That's crap.

Not ebay, but Amazon.  I just got the email saying I am not eligible to sell toys and games on their site until the new year.  Doesn't that hurt the buyer because now there are less options to choose from?

They do that every year. They want people who are somewhat proven to be reliable to sell during the holidays. Something like 50 sales in the past 12 months or so.

Just an update. My buyer never paid me. So I messaged him yesterday, still no response today. Should I open an unpaid case? Or just cancel it? I'll like to relist it asap.

I found some info on the holds.
Need to have all 3
90 days since first sale
Over $250 in sales
At least 25 selling transactions

Currently at 11 months since first sale, $880 in sales, and 11 transactions.
Think I'm going to start preordering games and resellng them. That way I can build up some rep.

Just an update. My buyer never paid me. So I messaged him yesterday, still no response today. Should I open an unpaid case? Or just cancel it? I'll like to relist it asap.

Need to have all 3
90 days since first sale
Over $250 in sales

Think I'm going to start preordering games and resellng them. That way I can build up some rep.
Open case.

The criteria for holds I posted are from PayPal's website. There can be more than one reason payments are held as well. Here is some more info posted from PayPal

• You have been selling on eBay for less than 90 days
  • You have an eBay feedback score fewer than 100 and have not yet established a record of good performance
  • You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings on eBay in the last 12 months or your eBay seller performance is below standard
  • You have a high rate of customer disputes or a low eBay feedback percentage
  • You have been a PayPal member for less than 6 months and have limited selling activity
  • You have a sudden change in selling activities (e.g. suddenly selling expensive items, selling large numbers of items, etc.)
  • You happen to be selling in a high risk category such as tickets, travel, gift vouchers, computers, electronics, mobile phones, etc.

It looks to me you still do not meet the criteria.

Need to have all 3
90 days since first sale
Over $250 in sales

Why not try to sell/trade here first? What were you selling?

You can always relist the item right now, if the person is obviously not going to pay. You don't have to wait until the case is closed.
If he relists without opening/closing the case, there is a chance the buyer decides to pay. You don't want two buyers for the same one item. It's the safer bet.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Sucks for me though since I only really sell toys during the holidays lol.
Yeah, it happens. I used to make a killing during the holidays year after year. Then last year the amount of feedback I received dropped and right before the cutoff, someone nailed me with a bullshit negative, dropping my percentage below the threshold and knocked me out of holiday selling and completely ruined my season. It was even worse because that was my main source of income, and holiday sales usually make up for slower sales throughout the year.

I'm back in for holiday selling this year, so hopefully things pick up. I sure could use the income boost. If this season is a bust, I'm closing up shop and going back to a full-time job.

Yeah, it happens. I used to make a killing during the holidays year after year. Then last year the amount of feedback I received dropped and right before the cutoff, someone nailed me with a bullshit negative, dropping my percentage below the threshold and knocked me out of holiday selling and completely ruined my season. It was even worse because that was my main source of income, and holiday sales usually make up for slower sales throughout the year.

I'm back in for holiday selling this year, so hopefully things pick up. I sure could use the income boost. If this season is a bust, I'm closing up shop and going back to a full-time job.
Flipping is nothing like it used to be. I quit a couple years ago. Everyone and their grandma tries to make a quick buck nowadays and gaming/toys used to be my niche market. The undercutting everywhere is so hilariously bad sometimes.

Edit: When I say niche, I mean in my area. Extremely overrun now.

So I took everyone advice and opened a case. I also relisted it. And it sold within 3 hours and the person already paid. I still haven't heard anything from the original buyer either. Based on his one feedback, I'm guessing they don't care.

Flipping is nothing like it used to be. I quit a couple years ago. Everyone and their grandma tries to make a quick buck nowadays and gaming/toys used to be my niche market. The undercutting everywhere is so hilariously bad sometimes.

Edit: When I say niche, I mean in my area. Extremely overrun now.
I hear you, it's getting to be the same way here with good finds getting fewer and farther between. My first few years, I was making six figures in sales. It's been a death spiral the past few years because of local competition and online undercutting driving prices down to a sub-profit level.

I hear you, it's getting to be the same way here with good finds getting fewer and farther between. My first few years, I was making six figures in sales. It's been a death spiral the past few years because of local competition and online undercutting driving prices down to a sub-profit level.
It sounds like a tepid and cliche response, but I blame smart phones and mass appeal social media. Almost 70% of people nowadays have an app based smart phone that allows just about anyone to find out relative values of games, toys, and other good flips on the fly.

Compared to when I first started flipping to supplement my gaming habit in 2010, it was about 1/3, and much less attention to video games in general. You could place partial blame on bulletin based sites like CAG, but I still think that is an overwhelming minority compared to the general masses and their exposure.

I don't know how much the 2008 economy had anything to do with it either this far into the game. Seems like most of the local competition I run into are either soccer moms or thrifting teenager archetypes, doubtful it had lasting (if any) effects on those groups.

Damn, that's crazy. I have noticed clearance is not like it used to be. I miss the days when you could find 75% off clearance items at Target.

I don't know how much the 2008 economy had anything to do with it either this far into the game. Seems like most of the local competition I run into are either soccer moms or thrifting teenager archetypes, doubtful it had lasting (if any) effects on those groups.
It's actually mostly why I went looking for deals in 2010ish. Unemployment was still high, so I figured people would want to sell their stuff at the lower market prices. I pretty much stopped when the economy rebounded, cause things dried up and it was no longer worth the time.

As somebody that I consider to be a valued member, I hope you consider the landscape of online reselling down the line and consider a full-time job sooner than later.

I'm very open yet not obscene about it - I flip things myself but I make sure I have my limits. I only look at a portion of cag to satisfy my flipping desires. It's just a supplement and nothing more so I don't try to invest a majority of my time doing it. I have a full-time job that pays me well enough. Online reselling is uncertain when it comes to future prospects. As Kotor mentioned, more and more people will get into this game over time as the natural awareness of online deal sites only increases. Everybody undercuts each other and all it does is ruin the profit margin of competing sellers. I've sold exclusive items in the past where there was only one other seller and they have been hellbent on undercutting everytime when all I did was to match the competing price. Some people have no clue of supply vs. demand. If there's only two sellers, they will sell through their stock due to the only remaining options left - it's just whether they sell at 50% profit or 10%. Pretty frustrating to see dimwits and competing sellers not realize this. That's just an example. Back then it was easy to flip CE's since there were clearance opportunities often. But the days of $15 Black Ops Prestige editions are long gone. Retailers are catching up and at some point, we all will have to accept the digital gaming age.

I think the opportunities will shrink over time and the current retailers will evolve with their programs and inventory. Unless you have an official bulk partnership program with a specific supplier, at some point things will be put to an end. Staff at your local stores will change and it just takes one junior detective store manager to get asset protection involved to limit or even ban the sale of items to you even. Flipping is short term and provides no long term security. Sure you can make some money here and there and have your peaks but at some point somebody will notice and things will change for the worse. Too much money in one area is bound to capture somebody's attention. Things always eventually find a way of balancing out. With a job, at least you can count on steady income with a retirement package that you're theoretically building up. I doubt when we hit our 60's that it will be easy to resell to make $2K a month of profit. If I didn't have a pension fund, I'd be worried about supporting myself down the line. So I hope you focus on a more steady full-time gig.

bread's done
Back