The General eBay Rant Thread

Recently tried to buy the Bioshock Collection on eBay. There were 2 different sellers listing the game at $80 and $85 with a "best offer" option.

I made offers on both of them and the sellers declined every one. The highest offer I made was $50 which seems reasonable, but neither seller accepted it.

The retail value is $60. Why in the hell would anyone pay $80-85 for it? And why do sellers leave the "best offer" option wide open when they clearly aren't willing to go below a certain price?
They're trying to take advantage of some casual, uneducated buyer.

I've sold games at MSRP on eBay many times. I assume they're exporting, banned from Amazon, avoiding sales tax, have gift cards/eBay bucks, etc.

I tried making Offers on a few things recently. One person went down from $12.50 or 12.25 or 12.00 even, saying it was the best they could do. Another person went down like 27 cents.

So I echo the above sentiments WTF IS THE POINT! If you're allowing offers, you should be willing to take at least a 10% discount depending on the price. $10=$8-9. $50=45 $100=90 $500=$475. Etc etc. Going down 25 cents or less then a dollar is worthless and you're just wasting peoples time.

Usually, I list it at the high end, and deny things below the lowest it sells for. If that range is tiny, then I'm going to reject 10% less offers too.

Almost every time I get offers its usually terrible lowball ones. In the last week I've had stuff listed at $150 and gotten offers for $20 and $30. I don't even respond to them.

Almost every time I get offers its usually terrible lowball ones. In the last week I've had stuff listed at $150 and gotten offers for $20 and $30. I don't even respond to them.
When I get offers like that I counter offer taking off like 12 cents or so. They go away after that.

I'm still waiting to hear back on my USPS insurance claim from last week. Just curious how long it has  taken for others in the past.

Not eBay, but since most shipping discussion happens hear.... I had a package coming via FedEX. I work during the day  so I wanted to reroute it to a near by fed ex store. I couldn't get it to work so I called up FedEX and was that the few stores very close to me all won't take packages. I've had them delivered there a few times over the last year with never a problem and told the rep that, but she said that is because this is ground. You can only reroute FedEX ground to certain locations. Not a big deal, just slightly more of a pain to get it now since I'm going to have to head like 15 minutes out of my way now.

I've never heard that you can't reroute ground packages as much. I'll have to see if I still have the tracking numbers for old items - I do know the last one was an overnight or 2 day shipping speed but can't remember the rest.

Last time I filed a claim USPS claim it took around 2 weeks.

FedEx and FedEx ground being separate is one reason I prefer UPS. The nearest FedEx shipping center is around 20 minutes from me and unlike UPS where their drop boxes can take all UPS shipments, the FedEx drop boxes don't accept ground shipments so I can't use the drop box 3 minutes from my house.

I tried making Offers on a few things recently. One person went down from $12.50 or 12.25 or 12.00 even, saying it was the best they could do. Another person went down like 27 cents.

So I echo the above sentiments WTF IS THE POINT! If you're allowing offers, you should be willing to take at least a 10% discount depending on the price. $10=$8-9. $50=45 $100=90 $500=$475. Etc etc. Going down 25 cents or less then a dollar is worthless and you're just wasting peoples time.
I made an offer of $50 on the Bioshock Collection. The buy it now price was $62. The seller sent me a counteroffer of $61.99 - literally one freakin' cent - and said it was the lowest he could go.

I made an offer of $50 on the Bioshock Collection. The buy it now price was $62. The seller sent me a counteroffer of $61.99 - literally one freakin' cent - and said it was the lowest he could go.
For $62 that shouldn't even be sold due to it literally being above MSRP. $50 might be a little low due to ebay fees on a new item, but overall I think it is a fair offer. If I was trying to sell that and wanted $62 (never would happen) the lowest I would go is $55 but that's just an example of my perspective of Offers...Make a reasonable one and I'll think it over or make a counter offer. Don't be an ass and give me less then $1 off a $10+ item and don't expect me to take 50% off my item.

For example someone was selling something I was interested in for $13. I offered $10. They countered with $11.50. I think that was fair but I decided against wanting it so no harm no foul. But it was a decent counter offer.

If a listing accepts offers it's just code for "I know this asking price is too high, let's see what I can bait out of it". Usually, they are just trying to sell it at the standard price most other sellers are trying to BIN for but some people literally are stupid enough to fall for this as they'll see they can send offers and end up offering what the thing is trending for or possibly even more. There are a couple of other reasons people do it but that's the most common. Some might be unsure of what it's worth so they'll put it extremely high and just see what they can get offer-wise and they might not even sell it, it will be purely an experiment to see what people are offering. The last one is similar to the common reason people do it but in this case they'll price it extremely high knowing no one in their right mind will buy it straight and they're hoping they'll get a offer that's close to what they want or even higher. Usually this only occurs when it's something being sold that doesn't have much competition. This is why I avoid listings with offers as that tells me whatever the person has as the BIN is almost always selling it overpriced - same concept outside of eBay when you see people do this especially with cars.

More restrictions coming to eBay gift card usage and eBay bucks. This sucks.
Here is the short version from the site Miles to Memories:

The hits keep coming with eBay. Over the past couple of months the following changes have occured or been announced:

eBay gift cards purchased after August 23, 2016 cannot be used to purchase merchant gift cards.
eBay gift cards purchased before August 23, 2016 cannot be used to purchase merchant gift cards after October 13, 2016.
Starting on October 1, 2016 eBay Bucks will no longer be earned on the purchase of “eBay Gift Cards, Gift Cards, and Digital Gifts purchases within the Gift Cards & Coupons category.”
Starting on January 1, 2017 eBay Bucks will no longer be redeemable for eBay gift cards.

http://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/ebay-portal-term-changes/

Hopefully someone has some insight here that can help me.So yesterday i sell a xbox one madden code on ebay and the seller redeems it and leaves me + feedback. When i wake up in the morning i receive an email from ebay saying that my listing has been removed due to "unauthorized purchased from buyer account " immediately i start thinking that i got had and will be out of the money i received from the sale.What do you guys think that his account did in fact get hacked and more importantly will i get to keep the funds from the sale?thanks for any responses

Hopefully someone has some insight here that can help me.So yesterday i sell a xbox one madden code on ebay and the seller redeems it and leaves me + feedback. When i wake up in the morning i receive an email from ebay saying that my listing has been removed due to "unauthorized purchased from buyer account " immediately i start thinking that i got had and will be out of the money i received from the sale.What do you guys think that his account did in fact get hacked and more importantly will i get to keep the funds from the sale?thanks for any responses
You are probably out of luck. The person is lying/scamming you, but you are stuck.

eBay/paypal doesn't allow the selling of virtual goods or sending codes through online. The case on paypal is going to ask for proof that you shipped it to the confirmed address, but because you didn't ship it you will automatically lose and have the money sucked out of your account.

You are probably out of luck. The person is lying/scamming you, but you are stuck.

eBay/paypal doesn't allow the selling of virtual goods or sending codes through online. The case on paypal is going to ask for proof that you shipped it to the confirmed address, but because you didn't ship it you will automatically lose and have the money sucked out of your account.
Damn that fucking stings as this will be the first time I've been scammed from ebay.If it turns out to be true then i will never sell digital goods again on ebay .As for the scammer is there anything i can do like post his info or such?i feel like posting his address and sending him a turd in the mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try what blueweltall suggests, but the fact that the buyer left you positive feedback may give you some leverage.

IF the buyers account was compromised by an outside individual why would that person leave you positive feedback? People who steal from others don't stay around long enough to do that. Granted ebay may not care because it is against policy to sell digital goods from what I've read. The funny thing is...ebay sells digital goods all the time. Look at the Paypal gifts and stuff when they sell digital gift cards. Lots of companies do that on ebay, perhaps they have agreements that supersede that policy, but it still seems odd to me.

My advice is to call eBay and explain to them everything. Even the fact that you sent them the code via a msg but are more then happy to send them the code via USPS to their confirmed Paypal address if ebay wants you to.

I find that being transparent when someone is trying to scam you makes your case for you because the person lying/scamming will be caught off guard and try to come up with other non-sense excuses and potentially bury themselves deeper.

I sold my Quantum Break W10 code on eBay to a lady with 600 feedback. She asked for the code via email. I messaged it to her and in the morning she opened a bullshit case against me. I quickly printed out a label, stuck a printed copy of the code in a game case and dropped it off at the Post office. I uploaded my receipt and they closed the case in my favor within 48 hours....

Well i don't have the paper that the code came on since i bought it from another CAG.So i guess my only option is to print out the code and ship it in a case.If it comes to it I'll give ebay a call amd explain to them in all honesty what happened and how i acquired my code and tell them that i have a seller account with 100+ feedback in good standing while the buyer only has 5 or so feedback.

Wondering if I screwed up here... Someone requested to return a game because "Disc was much too scratched to even work. Attempted to clean and deep clean the scratches but still nothing. Was past the point of saving"

My description said "The disc has heavy wear and does not work. Needs repairs." Title had "AS-IS" in it.

I had it listed as acceptable in the description selection. There was no "for parts or repair" which is strange.

Should I have him send it back? Or give a partial refund and let him keep the game/game case. It sounds like he tried to repair it at least. I think I shouldn't have said "Needs repairs"

Wondering if I screwed up here... Someone requested to return a game because "Disc was much too scratched to even work. Attempted to clean and deep clean the scratches but still nothing. Was past the point of saving"

My description said "The disc has heavy wear and does not work. Needs repairs." Title had "AS-IS" in it.

I had it listed as acceptable in the description selection. There was no "for parts or repair" which is strange.

Should I have him send it back? Or give a partial refund and let him keep the game/game case. It sounds like he tried to repair it at least. I think I shouldn't have said "Needs repairs"
You clearly stated it was broken and AS-IS. You said it was accetable but there was no choice for parts/repair. The buyer didn't read the listing...Call ebay and see what they say but IMO you're in the clear and the buyer should look at this as a learning experience.

Sounds as described to me, looks like buyers remorse where he attempted to fix it and couldn't get it to work so now he doesn't want to pay return shipping. Buyers are bulletproof in SNAD claims anyway so you try to give a partial refund.

I actually ended up offering a partial refund. I just want to avoid any negative feedback as I am about to list a bunch of items to eBay. Next time I sell something I'll probably say something like "NO RETURNS, NOT SURE IF FIXABLE" in the description. If he wants a full refund, should I call eBay about it?

I actually ended up offering a partial refund. I just want to avoid any negative feedback as I am about to list a bunch of items to eBay. Next time I sell something I'll probably say something like "NO RETURNS, NOT SURE IF FIXABLE" in the description. If he wants a full refund, should I call eBay about it?
What's your eBay name? If you have gaming stuff, I am interested.

If you're selling a game that doesn't work, make sure to put broken or defective in the title because buyers don't always think as-is means broken. I have had the same issue before, and eBay sided in my favor(I believe) since I said it didn't work in the description.

Sounds as described to me, looks like buyers remorse where he attempted to fix it and couldn't get it to work so now he doesn't want to pay return shipping. Buyers are bulletproof in SNAD claims anyway so you try to give a partial refund.
Not true. I had a buyer file a SNAD because he said my item had "glue" on it. After calling ebay and asking the buyer to provide photos he simply closed the case because they knew they were wrong. If he provided the photos then the item would have looked exactly how I listed it and ebay would have closed it on my behalf.

Typically speaking I do agree though, eBay makes the burden of proof on the seller not the buyer.

You might get hurt on the acceptable part though. New, Like New, Very Good, Good and Acceptable all signify something is working. Even though you put as-is you always have to plan on buyers not reading your description.

It is like if you are trying to sell just the box and manual for a game and put like 5x that it is just the manual./box and no game is included - bolded, underlined, etc. They get it and are like where is the game?

eBay should have as "for parts/defective" for games. Giving the partial refund might just be the easiest thing since 50% of eBayers don't read the listing.

Do you have to do anything special when shipping smartphone batteries? Post office people occasionally ask if you have anything like that when you drop stuff off to them or you can read the sign at the desk that warns about shipping that stuff. Do they just need to know to label the box hazardous or do you get charged more to ship it? My cell just died for good and the battery was very recently replaced so I'm going to sell the newish battery cheap to offset the costs of a new phone even if I can only get a few bucks for it.

Do you have to do anything special when shipping smartphone batteries? Post office people occasionally ask if you have anything like that when you drop stuff off to them or you can read the sign at the desk that warns about shipping that stuff. Do they just need to know to label the box hazardous or do you get charged more to ship it? My cell just died for good and the battery was very recently replaced so I'm going to sell the newish battery cheap to offset the costs of a new phone even if I can only get a few bucks for it.
I don't know the exact rules but I know there are some stipulations on how they can be shipped if they are not inside the device they belong to. Something to research because you don't want to get popped for essentially sending a mail bomb.

I'm glad I found this thread I've always wanted to share how my dumbass little brother got me banned from EBay. So awhile ago I get an email saying I'm no longer allowed to sell because they believed I was associated with my asshat little brother it even said his username. I thought it was no big deal since I wasn't needing to sell anything at the time. A while later I called them to dispute it and they gave me at little questionnaire to verify myself from a dickhead selling his broken iPod. The dumb bitch on the line kept asking me all these quesions that I couldn't possibly answer like "what other states have you ever lived in"? Bitch I'm 19 I still live in my hometown! Turns out all the questions only applied to my father since they're too stupid to sort out a 45 year old man and his son with clearly different names. So after getting all the questions wrong I asked the broad " so what can I do now?" That fuckin bitch just goes "well you could try other websites for selling" ugh wtf eBay did email me a survey to rate my experices with her and I burned the hell out of it hahaha.

Less than 2 months until Christmas and still no bunch of free listings like last year. What the hell? Are they not doing it this year?

Need help with an ebay issue. I changed my Paypal email, because it was from an account over a decade old and I was tired to logging into an old email account I never use anymore, I changed it to my primary email to make it easier. Same with my ebay account's email.

However, when I go to change the address in my ebay listings under the Paypal section to my new Paypal email(yes, it is confirmed and made my new primary email address for Paypal) it keeps saying Paypal email not found.

Any idea what to do? Does it just take a while for ebay to recognize it in Paypal's system? Do I need to edit it in my ebay settings somewhere. Help!

I also tried unlinking my old Paypal email and re-linking with the new one. When I click on link account, it asks me to log into Paypal. I do. It takes me to a page that says "You're almost done linking your account!" Then underneath it says "You have officially added your Paypal credit card." Then underneath it says return to eBay. I click that and it just takes me back to the Paypal preferences section where it tells me to link my Paypal account again. ughhhhh

I got an offer for free listings about three weeks ago but I only had five days to claim it.
I didn't get that. My account is Above Standard. Did you have to do anything special to get the offer? I always scroll down to the Offers place on the My Selling page. The one that lists all offers, like the 50 free monthly listing and the 6 yearly car listing.

Anybody else get this offer?

I didn't get that. My account is Above Standard. Did you have to do anything special to get the offer? I always scroll down to the Offers place on the My Selling page. The one that lists all offers, like the 50 free monthly listing and the 6 yearly car listing.

Anybody else get this offer?
I am a light seller (two sales this year) and medium buyer (20 purchases this year). The offer was in my eBay message center.

Every once in a while I'll sell small things on eBay for very little money just to make an extra buck or create space. Anything from video game inserts to instruction manuals to even those little LRG cards that come with the games. I usually drop em in a small envelope and take em to the nearest mailbox. I refuse to get tracking for something I sell for like $2-$5 it just isn't worth it, as the post office around me that is open after I get out of work is a little bit of a hike and it's such an inconvenience to go there for small stuff. I take the risk knowing I could get conned.

Anyway, I mailed one out almost a month ago exactly and two days ago I had a case opened against me by the buyer saying "Are you gonna send my item? If not please send my refund." Seller with a pretty decent feedback, not some newbie. However, the fact that he waited a full month to contact me is a little suspicious. Also, I responded to him via the eBay case, via eBay message, and through his email to make sure he got my response. Two days and no response back from him.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially when they have feedbacks in the hundreds, but I get the feeling he realized at some point "Hey, it wasn't shipped with tracking, money is tight around the holidays, I'm gonna rip this guy off!" and is just biding his time til he can escalate the case to eBay. Over a mere $5.

Every once in a while I'll sell small things on eBay for very little money just to make an extra buck or create space. Anything from video game inserts to instruction manuals to even those little LRG cards that come with the games. I usually drop em in a small envelope and take em to the nearest mailbox. I refuse to get tracking for something I sell for like $2-$5 it just isn't worth it, as the post office around me that is open after I get out of work is a little bit of a hike and it's such an inconvenience to go there for small stuff. I take the risk knowing I could get conned.

Anyway, I mailed one out almost a month ago exactly and two days ago I had a case opened against me by the buyer saying "Are you gonna send my item? If not please send my refund." Seller with a pretty decent feedback, not some newbie. However, the fact that he waited a full month to contact me is a little suspicious. Also, I responded to him via the eBay case, via eBay message, and through his email to make sure he got my response. Two days and no response back from him.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially when they have feedbacks in the hundreds, but I get the feeling he realized at some point "Hey, it wasn't shipped with tracking, money is tight around the holidays, I'm gonna rip this guy off!" and is just biding his time til he can escalate the case to eBay. Over a mere $5.
I did something like that once with the Disney Infinity power disc extras I had. I just sold them separately and put them in regular envelopes. Sold them around the prices you listed knowing full well I could get burned but not having to pay anything in shipping was too tempting. Ended up having one supposedly getting lost as I never got it back and the buyer sent me a message about it so refunded one and another the post office sent back to me for a fucking weight issue. Out of every extra one I sold I had no issues with them not taking them for the weight exceeding the envelope limit but apparently this one did but still made some decent cash on things that basically cost me nothing to obtain.

Yeah, the weight issue has happened to me before too. I don't think that was it though for this, it was lighter than a birthday card or letter which goes under standard postage stamps.

It's either one of two things. Either it got lost in the mail and the buyer is telling the truth and hasn't responded because he's a busy guy, or he did get the item and he filed a case and isn't responding to my messages because he's just waiting the 4 days to escalate it to ebay and get his money back.

Yeah, the weight issue for me was received back within 2 days. Basically, a day to get to the sorting facility then the next day to be delivered back to me since they rejected it. They can waste time sending it back to me for it being too heavy as apparently it's never too much to do that but anywhere else it's deemed too much lol. I think I literally only had to thrown on an extra stamp too, it was pretty ridiculous. I know the postal service is losing business but it came off as pretty greedy and petty for something that minuscule.

I would have said it's a good possibility it got lost but him not responding raises flags. Like you said that's why I only do envelope stuff w/o tracking for a max of 5 bucks. The high amount of positive feedback also makes you question this but his timing is too good like you mentioned. Hopefully it works out, if not, to hell with that guy.

That's why I never sell anything for less than $10. If the item I sell isn't worth that much, I either wait until it is, or if it will never be (looking at you, 5 brand new Fable III games!) I usually just trash it. I always ship with tracking as the retarded failures always opened up a INR case the last few times I sold things without tracking. Funny thing is, a few years ago, I never used tracking. I didn't even understand the concept of tracking. It was a novel concept to me to update the location of a package every single time it gets to a new area. A few years ago, I got scammed on one listing after another after another around Christmastime, and I started using tracking. I used it on everything except items under $10, which all got INRs. So now I track everything and don't sell anything under $10. Not worth it.

I have a similar story happening right now, actually.

I bought a $5 Pokemon binder with a booster pack on 11/1.  Expected delivery was the 8th.

Yesterday, on the 14th, I opened the "I want the item" message and asked the seller when they shipped/if they've shipped.  (No tracking number; just marked as "shipped")

Seller didn't reply to me, but issued the refund.  They have a couple thousand feedback (99.9% positive).  I have over 200 (all positive).

At this point, I was thinking about leaving neutral feedback, because they seller didn't respond to me.  But, I messaged them again.  They finally did reply, saying they guess it got lost in the mail, and they just issued the refund in hopes there'd be no feedback trouble.

At this point, he said he'd send me a new binder/pack, and I told him when the second one shows up I'd leave him positive feedback and re-pay for the item.  (I don't want him to be out an item + his money).

So this is an interesting story for me.

Yesterday my friend texted me with an ebay listing to a Hulu sub for $3 for a year. We both knew something was off, but we figured we'd see where this rabbit hole went. We both bought one and within 5-10 min got an ebay message with a Hulu acct email/password and a request to not change the password.

We both got different login info. I looked into the emails and found two people on Facebook, granted they may not be the same person who has the email, but I sent them a message.

I then logged into the Hulu accts to see if they were just dummy accounts or real active accounts. Not only were they real accounts, but they had credit card info (only last 4 digits), name, birthday, and registered devices.

I then called Hulu and reported the situation, the CSR was somewhat flustered but took the info down got with supervisors and said they were going to get with their legal time.

I then called ebay and they opened a case and an investigation. I of course left negative feedback. I expect my $3 back but it's $3 after all, not a big deal. I am sure this scumbag is in China or India or something and nothing will ultimately happen with them. But it was a wakeup call for me. I now use lastpass....lol.

Wow, I had no idea the NES Classic was so cheap. I expected it to be like $200 so I didn't track its release. Besides, thanks to my peg leg and eyepatch, I can play NES games for free. No need to buy the console or games.

bread's done
Back