The General eBay Rant Thread

Those always strike me like the seller is setting up for a defense of plausible deniability if they get called out. If you have half an eye, they telegraph loud and clear that whatever you're looking at isn't authentic and the seller knows it.
So you're supposed to parry and visceral attack the seller?

People begging for feedback is my new biggest pet peeve. This one buyer in particular has sent me 4 messages over the last fucking 2 days demanding I leave him positive feedback. Dude has like 2000+ feedback and he's freaking about me leaving him one. It's so fucking obnoxious. I've been leaving people positive feedback but putting "Stop asking for feedback" as the comment.

People begging for feedback is my new biggest pet peeve. This one buyer in particular has sent me 4 messages over the last fucking 2 days demanding I leave him positive feedback. Dude has like 2000+ feedback and he's freaking about me leaving him one. It's so fucking obnoxious. I've been leaving people positive feedback but putting "Stop asking for feedback" as the comment.
In their defense...WHERE'S MY fuckING FEEDBACK!

But in all honesty the reason why some sellers are a bit pushy is once you leave positive feedback a buyer can't file a claim and win easily because the positive feedback indicates the buyer got the item and they are happy with it.

Why *wouldn't* you leave feedback once a transaction was completed? Someone had time to complete a transaction, and they can't spare 30 seconds to give someone the feedback they earned?

I'm the seller, I sell 200+ items a month, I'm busy as hell and usually get to a computer maybe twice a week. I do them all in one fell swoop, just go down the list and leave everyone the same comment. You paid for an item, I don't even understand why feedback still exists for buyers, it's fucking pointless since I can't leave you a negative.

and they can't spare 30 seconds to give someone the feedback they earned?
You clicked through the PayPal prompts, congratulations?

Last edited by a moderator:
And as a seller, you have no problem waiting for feedback to come in from buyers?
A buyer pestering a seller for feedback is a little silly, but not the other way around.

And as a seller, you have no problem waiting for feedback to come in from buyers?
A buyer pestering a seller for feedback is a little silly, but not the other way around.
Nope, I literally don't give a shit. I've never once asked for feedback. I'd say 30-40% of people leave it ever.

Nope, I literally don't give a shit. I've never once asked for feedback. I'd say 30-40% of people leave it ever.
Pretty much the same. I could understand if you had a new account under 100 feedback but once you are in the thousands or even hundreds it is not worth the time or effort to ask for feedback.

I usually once a week select the next bunch of items and just all give the same generic feedback.

Pretty much the same. I could understand if you had a new account under 100 feedback but once you are in the thousands or even hundreds it is not worth the time or effort to ask for feedback.

I usually once a week select the next bunch of items and just all give the same generic feedback.
Yep. I cared on Amazon cause I got 1 feedback after like 20 transactions. So I said screw it and stopped selling there (cause I couldn't sell during holidays without feedback).

I was stuck on 499 on eBay for months and I didn't care one bit.

I've had a rash of sellers (okay, maybe seven or eight in two months' time) lately sending messages after I've won their auctions asking to cancel because the item is "out of stock" but then send a PM saying stuff like, 'I've never done this before, but [insert random scapegoat here] really didn't want me to sell this" or saying they damaged the item during packaging.  

I was refunded any money I paid, but then the sellers relisted the same items (I know they were the same because they had visible serial numbers that matched) with opening bids nearly double what I "won" the previous auctions for.  There were no signs of damage for the ones who claimed damage, since they were relisted obviously they weren't quite the family heirloom that couldn't be parted with like some tried to plea.  It's been frustrating to say the least.  

I get why they're lying.  Maybe the bids didn't get as high as they would like, but I would argue that's the nature of selling on eBay.  You win some, you lose some.  As a collector, I'm always looking for as low a price as possible (while still winning the auction, of course).  As an infrequent seller, I can admit I've been underwhelmed sometimes by the final bid on an item, but I've never violated the contract and kept the bidder from acquiring it on the cheap.

Why *wouldn't* you leave feedback once a transaction was completed? Someone had time to complete a transaction, and they can't spare 30 seconds to give someone the feedback they earned?
I'm the seller, I sell 200+ items a month, I'm busy as hell and usually get to a computer maybe twice a week. I do them all in one fell swoop, just go down the list and leave everyone the same comment. You paid for an item, I don't even understand why feedback still exists for buyers, it's fucking pointless since I can't leave you a negative.

You clicked through the PayPal prompts, congratulations?
Agree with Rig. It's really just another step in your overall customer service, and not leaving any reflects poorly on the seller. I'm not one of them, but I know bidders who will not buy from a seller again if feedback wasn't left for their transaction. As a seller, I leave positive feedback as soon as the buyer has paid. I don't believe in quid pro quo feedback as a seller. I encourage my buyers to leave positive feedback if my service and product have met or exceeded their expectations.

Kotor15 - you just admitted you do leave feedback, just not in a timely manner. That's all you need to explain if somebody sends you such a request. Let them know you are a busy seller and take care of leaving feedback for all customers on a biweekly or monthly basis, thank them again for their purchase, and encourage them to view your current listings to try sell them more.

There's no reason for the snarky tone of the last comment though. A buyer clicking through those prompts to pay means you have more time to get your new listings done and make even more money because you don't have to waste your time with multiple follow-up messages asking buyers to remit payment, no wasted time messing around with non-paying bidder claims, etc.

I will agree though that taking away the right from sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers has greatly diminished the value of the feedback score, but sadly it's a necessary metric for buyers to gauge trustworthiness. I will sometimes pay a few dollars more for somebody with a proven track record of good customer service.

Here's one last thing. I will back you up 100% in your complaint when it comes to the sellers that message demands for "all 5-star" ratings. I rate all my transactions fairly. If it took a certain seller two weeks to get a Priority Mail package to my door, I'm not giving them anywhere near five stars for shipping speed. Same goes for some of he exorbitant shipping fees being charged, or charging for Priority and then shipping Media Mail.

I never said I don't leave feedback? I was just complaining about impatient buyers blowing up my inbox asking me to leave them feedback. One lady sent me 3 messages over the course of 36 hours while I was on vacation. Also, I don't do auctions. Auctions are the biggest time wasters. Buyers probably deserve a feedback for actually coming through and paying for an auction though. At least they deserve it more than the person that hit "buy it now" like it's Amazon. Why doesn't Amazon have feedback for buyers if it's so important?

Auctions are pretty hit or miss. I always hope to find an auction for an expensive item because generally the auctions go for less. I was looking to buy something recently and the cheapest buy it now was 900 and there was an auction a few months back where it went for like 600. 

The only time I will do auctions if I have something one of a kind (or ultra rare) and expect to get a bidding war going because no other ones exist or are available.

Nothing is better for a seller than a bidding a war. I got sucked into one about a year ago and ended up spending 3000 more than what my original top level bid was going to be. At the end I was like hah I won, then I was like wait, what did I just do.

I've had a rash of sellers (okay, maybe seven or eight in two months' time) lately sending messages after I've won their auctions asking to cancel because the item is "out of stock" but then send a PM saying stuff like, 'I've never done this before, but [insert random scapegoat here] really didn't want me to sell this" or saying they damaged the item during packaging.

I was refunded any money I paid, but then the sellers relisted the same items (I know they were the same because they had visible serial numbers that matched) with opening bids nearly double what I "won" the previous auctions for. There were no signs of damage for the ones who claimed damage, since they were relisted obviously they weren't quite the family heirloom that couldn't be parted with like some tried to plea. It's been frustrating to say the least.

I get why they're lying. Maybe the bids didn't get as high as they would like, but I would argue that's the nature of selling on eBay. You win some, you lose some. As a collector, I'm always looking for as low a price as possible (while still winning the auction, of course). As an infrequent seller, I can admit I've been underwhelmed sometimes by the final bid on an item, but I've never violated the contract and kept the bidder from acquiring it on the cheap.
I follow eBay dropoff stores because they won't relist an item if it goes for a low amount. I won an auction for a golf club for $25 when it was going for $100 at the "Buy It Now" price w/ several other sellers. These 3rd party stores just want the item gone...

I was refunded any money I paid, but then the sellers relisted the same items (I know they were the same because they had visible serial numbers that matched) with opening bids nearly double what I "won" the previous auctions for. There were no signs of damage for the ones who claimed damage, since they were relisted obviously they weren't quite the family heirloom that couldn't be parted with like some tried to plea. It's been frustrating to say the least.

I get why they're lying. Maybe the bids didn't get as high as they would like, but I would argue that's the nature of selling on eBay. You win some, you lose some. As a collector, I'm always looking for as low a price as possible (while still winning the auction, of course). As an infrequent seller, I can admit I've been underwhelmed sometimes by the final bid on an item, but I've never violated the contract and kept the bidder from acquiring it on the cheap.
Burn them. Give them negative feedback. They deserve it.

Sent a Gears Of War 4 Collectors Edition out on Jan 30th. It cost 30 frakin dollers to send. Get a message today from the dude saying he wants a refund because it hadnt arrived. I look at the tracking history and it was "Out for Delivery" in Albany, NY on Feb 4th. He lives in Albany, NY. Now on Feb 5th it says its in Jersey City, NJ....and Feb 6th "In transit to destination", where its been since. I use my lunch break today to ask the post office for help. The supervisor called 3 post offices in Jersey City but noone answered. I left my number and he said hed keep trying and to stop by in a few days if I dont hear from him or see any activity on the tracking number. I ask him, "so do you think this guy had buyers remorse and refused the package?". He says its possible but the mail person shouldve marked in the tracking history that it was refused. Because they didnt he said its still possible it got sidetracked. Long story short, Im out $30 if it shows back up at my house!

I have a buyer claimed that he never received an item and he want me to file an insurance claim. The tracking number said it was delivered a month ago and now he is bugging me about this. 

So who's responsibility is it to file an insurance claim?

I have buyer claimed that he never received an item and he want me to file an insurance claim. The tracking number said it was delivered a month ago and now he is bugging me about this.

So who's responsibility is it to file an insurance claim?
If the tracking number said it was delivered I wouldnt even bother with it anymore! Not your problem if it was stolen or hes having buyers remorse!

It is on him, he needs to contact USPS and say it was not delivered to the right address. As far as you're concerned it's all good because it says delivered.

Insurance is for the sender, not the receiver. If USPS is properly applying their policies, the will allow the receiver to open an inquiry into the package, but will direct them to have the sender start the insurance claim.

The buyer should initiate an INR through eBay to get his or her money back. Unfortunately for them, they'll lose the case because the scan shows delivered. Fortunately for you, the situation is over at that time.

If you believe the buyer and have the time, desire and motivation to help have then call USPS and open an inquiry. If USPS finds reason to doubt the delivery scan then you can open up an insurance claim, assuming you paid for insurance (or sent Priority). Insurance claims with USPS tend to be YMMV and may require purchase receipts from you for the item, or an invoice from eBay.

If the insurance claim is approved, USPS pays you as the sender, so it is then your responsibility to reimburse the buyer. If you get to that point, use eBay to do so in order to resolve the case and prevent the buyer from seeking double reimbursement.

Actually had a case go in my favor which was surprising.

Person bought a game about a month ago and opened a case a week later saying it wouldn't work. I told them I had cleaned the cart and had numerous pictures of it working on my own console. I suggested they clean their console since it was likely something on their end. I didn't hear back so three weeks later I get a message saying it works okay loading now, but messes up when saving. At this point I clicked as eBay to step in because this just seems to scream buyer's remorse who doesn't want to pay for shipping (either finding it cheaper or just don't want it after a month). I was surprised because later that day eBay found in my favor saying "We determined that the item may no longer be in the same condition that it was in when it was sent to the buyer". Maybe the person has a history of this. I was completely expecting to lose and have to just take it back and eat the shipping costs both ways.

The only other person who I'm having trouble with is someone who imported a few PS1 games from me (they are over in the Europe). They don't appear to have a modded system or any understanding of region locks, NTSC/PAL, mod chips, etc. I've sent them links to a few faqs and two weeks later the person writes back saying all he can get is audio when he plays it as a music CD. I'm guessing these games must've been cheaper importing from me and the buyer has no idea what I'm talking about. Luckily they didn't open a case. I haven't heard from them for a week or so, so I'm hoping they figured it out.

I never said I don't leave feedback? I was just complaining about impatient buyers blowing up my inbox asking me to leave them feedback. One lady sent me 3 messages over the course of 36 hours while I was on vacation. Also, I don't do auctions. Auctions are the biggest time wasters. Buyers probably deserve a feedback for actually coming through and paying for an auction though. At least they deserve it more than the person that hit "buy it now" like it's Amazon. Why doesn't Amazon have feedback for buyers if it's so important?
OCD people and their feedback desires also get on my nerves. I only leave feedback about once a month to save time by copying and pasting for all my buyers, a process I explain to impatient buyers whining about where their feedback is.

so sold a item for $500, was expecting $400, than person pays and asked me to change address which is in a completely different state and now is threatening me with negative feedback if i cancel... 

already cancelled order 

so sold a item for $500, was expecting $400, than person pays and asked me to change address which is in a completely different state and now is threatening me with negative feedback if i cancel...

already cancelled order
You should be able to get any negative feedback removed for something like that. I use to occasionally switch the addresses for small things because I thought a scammer wouldn't bother for something like that but like 5 years back someone did with a 7 dollar bluray.

You should be able to get any negative feedback removed for something like that. I use to occasionally switch the addresses for small things because I thought a scammer wouldn't bother for something like that but like 5 years back someone did with a 7 dollar bluray.
it was so weird, person even sent me there phone number to call them.

It's been a long time since I had to refund anyone - when you do it as a seller, is the only option to do it via echeque with Paypal or do they give you other options? I had to get one after the idiot messed up his description (luckily he revealed his error unintentionally with a PM after I bought it) and it's been pending all day. I know from back in the day when I used eBay more sometimes echeque would be the only option for some transactions which sucked as they would always take 3-4 days to clear even though the money was good.

already cancelled order
I would have just sent it to the address indicated by eBay and Paypal. Only thing they could have done once they got it was file a return since an INR would have been quashed easily once it was delivered. But maybe not worth the risk if they do file a BS return "request" or even vandalize it before returning it or something.

I think that only happens if the seller doesn't have enough balance to refund from his Paypal?
Oh wow I hope not. I don't need to rely on getting the refund back to make other purchases at the moment but suspected this was why it was taking awhile. I know a few years ago as a buyer there were times I could only do echeque for some reason and it sucked as it took 3-4 days to clear so it would take even longer for the item to get to me as the seller would obviously not ship until the payment cleared. At that time at least it was definitely not lack of funds, just for whatever reason it was listed as the only way to pay and I was always good for the cash. I'm thinking maybe I was using a CC back then though opposed to having my PP linked to a checking source.

Hey, quick question, does having an eBay Store make you ineligible for the 50 free listings that everyone gets at at the start of the month? 50 items aren't enough and I haven't received an additional free listings promo in almost two years so I'm desperate enough to sign up for a store, but not if I'm ineligible for the free 50 listings.

Because I'm bored on my last day at this job, here's a follow up to my iPad I was selling a while back. I had a clearly listed as WiFi only iPad that a guy sniped then asked if I would cancel because he needed a Verizon one or something like that. I canceled and relisted, to save myself the headache. Well, about two weeks after the relisting ended, the original guy messaged me asking if that iPad was still available because now he wanted to buy it. I ignored and promptly added him to my blocked list, which I should have done to begin with. I have no idea what kind of scam that was about, but I had enough trouble with another auction during that time, I really didn't feel like even being polite to someone who already wasted my time once. (And the punchline to the whole thing is, whoever ended up with my old iPad never left feedback or communicated with me in any way at all. Guess all was ok?)

From what I've read, echeques show up when you haven't verified your address even though you have the PP connected to a banking account or not. Still a bit confused as the last time I was ever forced to use an echeque was when I first started on eBay and I remember now I was buying not selling at the time. I hope that's the case and the seller wasn't being a little prick (by selecting echeque as that takes apparently longer than I remember to clear) because I wanted a refund because of his failure to specify things in the description. I don't need that money right now but it's just the idea it's a pain in the ass to keep monitoring the account.

Seems like today is everyone's day to send me messages asking if I'll take a lower price, in some cases almost half what I'm asking.  I understand people want deals, but if someone doesn't have a best offer option on anything, why harass them?

I have a buyer requesting a full refund on a BRAND NEW SEALED game because he says "Are you sure it wasn't used becuz it's all scratches up and doesn't work." Dude has one feedback from like a year ago. I have no returns set up but of course this is the way to force me to do one. I don't want an opened (possibly force scratched) $50 game back. Any ideas?

I have a buyer requesting a full refund on a BRAND NEW SEALED game because he says "Are you sure it wasn't used becuz it's all scratches up and doesn't work." Dude has one feedback from like a year ago. I have no returns set up but of course this is the way to force me to do one. I don't want an opened (possibly force scratched) $50 game back. Any ideas?
Contact Ebay and tell them to look at the situation. You took pictures of the item and that it was sealed I assume? The fact that his feedback is so low might play in your favor.

Contact Ebay and tell them to look at the situation. You took pictures of the item and that it was sealed I assume? The fact that his feedback is so low might play in your favor.
Yeah, I set up a return because I read online when you actually ask them to send it back most scammers back off.

Yeah, I set up a return because I read online when you actually ask them to send it back most scammers back off.
He still might send it back, and if he had his own damaged copy of the game and sends it back instead of yours, you're kind of screwed unless you can convince ebay they did that.

Sounds like he is replacing his copy for a brand new copy. Make sure to note that you will a police report and a IC3 report if the item isn't what you sent.

I want to tell EBay buyers to fuck off so badly sometimes. I wake up to an item purchased and then 2 messages an hour apart demanding I cancel the item and refund them. The last one was essentially threatening me with negative. This person has 1200 fucking feedback.

Unearthed a few games in the backlog I've given up on completing and listed them. One of them is sitting at 20 views since I listed it this morning, with 5 watches. Why the fuck do people do this? I priced it to sell as in it's way cheaper than all of the other copies out there in the same condition; I just want it gone so it's on there to move quickly. Whoever buys it is getting a great deal yet out of the 20 views, no sales but 5 people watching it. What exactly are these people waiting for that watched it? I could understand if the thing was at a competitive price close to what the other copies are going for but mine's way cheaper. I've seen this in the past and the stuff still sells in the end but never understood the mentality behind doing that.

Unearthed a few games in the backlog I've given up on completing and listed them. One of them is sitting at 20 views since I listed it this morning, with 5 watches. Why the fuck do people do this? I priced it to sell as in it's way cheaper than all of the other copies out there in the same condition; I just want it gone so it's on there to move quickly. Whoever buys it is getting a great deal yet out of the 20 views, no sales but 5 people watching it. What exactly are these people waiting for that watched it? I could understand if the thing was at a competitive price close to what the other copies are going for but mine's way cheaper. I've seen this in the past and the stuff still sells in the end but never understood the mentality behind doing that.
People watch it to see if it sells, see if you lower the price, maybe they have one and are wondering if it sells what they can list it for.

Are you seriously pissed off because people don't want to buy it ASAP? Seems pretty weird to me that this bothers you that much.

I do that as a reminder to myself. I try not to impulse buy. I watch it and if in a few days it's still available I either buy it or unwatch it

People watch it to see if it sells, see if you lower the price, maybe they have one and are wondering if it sells what they can list it for.

Are you seriously pissed off because people don't want to buy it ASAP? Seems pretty weird to me that this bothers you that much.
Not really pissed, it just gets on my nerves. I mean I'm already selling it dirt cheap and the thought there are seriously people that cheap adding it to a watch list to see if I lower the price even further irritates me. That's why I asked if there are other strategic advantages to doing that as if people are seriously that cheap then holy shit. Everyone wants a good deal, I get that but as I said I'm already selling it cheaper than everyone else significantly, whether it's BIN or average auction going rate. They aren't find a better price than this so it perplexes me why some do it instead of just buying it. Like I said, if this was a price in line with other listings or I had it at auction can easily understand watching it. I know I'm weird but in my opinion it's even stranger there are people watching it thinking I'm going to lower it even more to the point where I'm not making money and they're going to get it. Scratch that, not strange, just stupid. Also, if that's the case they're wasting their time as the only time I have ever not gotten what I wanted on eBay on ANY sale was when I took the listing off and tried it in a FB group and got double what I was trying to originally get. :D/

Not really pissed, it just gets on my nerves. I mean I'm already selling it dirt cheap and the thought there are seriously people that cheap adding it to a watch list to see if I lower the price even further irritates me. That's why I asked if there are other strategic advantages to doing that as if people are seriously that cheap then holy shit. Everyone wants a good deal, I get that but as I said I'm already selling it cheaper than everyone else significantly, whether it's BIN or average auction going rate. They aren't find a better price than this so it perplexes me why some do it instead of just buying it. Like I said, if this was a price in line with other listings or I had it at auction can easily understand watching it. I know I'm weird but in my opinion it's even stranger there are people watching it thinking I'm going to lower it even more to the point where I'm not making money and they're going to get it. Scratch that, not strange, just stupid. Also, if that's the case they're wasting their time as the only time I have ever not gotten what I wanted on eBay on ANY sale was when I took the listing off and tried it in a FB group and got double what I was trying to originally get. :D/
Deep breaths, dude, deep breaths.

It's cool, I'm fine, I just come off as mad when I type this stuff out.

Another question since I've never seen anyone actually do this until now...if someone applies a sales tax to something you buy (or conversely you do on something you sell) does that tax automatically get sent to the appropriate place? Like State/county/city whatever sales tax they are applying or is it up to the seller to designate where it goes?

"Final value fees for sellers who do not meet eBay’s minimum performance standards will increase by 4 percentage points on items sold on or after May 1, 2017."

The "cases closed without seller resolution" criteria is already hard to meet at 0.3% of transactions. So now I'm going to basically have to accept any return no matter how bullshit it is, just to avoid the outrageous 4% hike in fvf.

"Final value fees for sellers who do not meet eBay’s minimum performance standards will increase by 4 percentage points on items sold on or after May 1, 2017."

The "cases closed without seller resolution" criteria is already hard to meet at 0.3% of transactions. So now I'm going to basically have to accept any return no matter how bullshit it is, just to avoid the outrageous 4% hike in fvf.
What the fuck? How do you tell if you meet eBay's minimum performance standards? Is being an Above Standard Seller enough, or what?

You have to go to your seller dashboard, and for the "cases closed without seller resolution" criteria you are either at top rated level (below 0.3%) or below standard level (above 0.3%).

bread's done
Back