The Genres you loved, but CAN'T STAND NOW!

[quote name='Gentlegamer']My interest in JRPGs was waning by the time I finished Final Fantasy VII back in the day, and Morrowind absolutely killed it off.[/QUOTE]
Morrowind was a JRPG? :???: :lol:

Anyway, for me, it's probably first person shooters. I haven't gotten any real enjoyment out of the genre since Unreal Tournament 2004, but I think part of that is due to the people I usually play with moving on to other things. Still, even single-player campaigns don't interest me anymore, and this is coming from someone who played Doom II through to the end several years ago and loved every second of it.

Definitely RPGs... at least JRPGs. Western ones have actually gotten good while JRPGS just feel to much of the same. Only one I've seen lately that I actually want to play is Valkyrie Chronicles.

JRPGs. I wrote a lengthy blog on it once:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=2034

Let's just say I was somewhat into JRPGs, but FFVII got me into the genre MUCH more (my favorite one ever). I bought almost everyone that came out on PS2. I use to spend all day inside playing JRPGs when I finished my homework. I skilled socializing with people just to get more time to play JRPGs. 2006 was a year I was really excited for because a JRPG in just about every series I love came out. Unfortunately, I only played a few of them a lot while most just barely got played. I kept buying them in 2007 and some in 2008, but most got ignored. The most time I put into any JRPG in the last two years was Eternal Sonata (360 version), for 12 hours, but I traded it away and switched it for the PS3 one (which I put 5-6 hours into so far). Let's just say on 360, I only really played Eternal Sonata and played Lost Odyssey for 5 hours. I tried Blue Dragon and hated it (got rid of it). Not a fan of Enchanted Arms (got rid of it). While ToV seems good, it's just not hooking me in (I played more PGR4 and Lost Planet. I could even say I played more Castle Crashers recently). On PS3, didn't play Enchanted Arms much more (I got rid of it). Disgaea 3 has done decent (just haven't played in a while). I need to play Valkyria Chronicles more (I ended up playing Resistance 2 instead). I played Eternal Sonata early on, then moved onto LBP and other games once I picked them up. Handheld RPGs just haven't been played much (I barely touched Star Ocean: FD on PSP). PS2 RPGs NEVER get touched anymore, and I'm still sitting on a bunch.

I actually enjoy whiny characters and storylines in JRPGs, I just don't have the patience to sit through them anymore and level up. In ways, I'm kind of having more fun leveling up in FPS online, and I use to hate FPS more than anything.

What I hate is that I still feel the need to buy JRPGs, yet I rarely play them now. I find myself playing online games, music games, fighters, and racers the most these days (where everyone does exceptionally well). Like I'm kind of tempted to buy Infinite Undiscovery, but I'll probably never play it. Next year I'll probably buy Star Ocean 4, White Knight Chronicles, Star Ocean: 2nd Evolution, Last Remnant (PS3) and probably barely play them. But since money is tight, I'll use that as an excuse to not by.

In other genres:
Platformers - Slight decline, only because there just isn't many, but I still love them when they come.

Fighters - About the same. Some series I like just aren't there this gen yet, but having online play is great.

Music - Non-instrument type decline (just not many). Instrument type, HUGE increase. While my DDR interests decreased, I truly LOVE SingStar, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc.

Racers - About the same, but probably spend more time with them now due to online.

Action/Sword - Decline. Most I buy, play for a little, then never play again (looks at DMCIV, NG games, and many more).

Action/Shooter - HUGE increase. I use to hate them, but now I play them a lot more. FPS I hated with passion, now I like.

SRPGS... I used to like them but ever since Disgaea I get the "been there, done that" feeling.

JRPGs are still good to me, however I am much more discerning now when it comes to games in general.

I think a lot of people who hate JRPGs now are the kids who started playing crap once FF VII brought in the JRPG tsunami.

JRPGS have really went down hill. From current gen RPGs it looks like Valkyrie Chronicles, Lost Odyssey and Persona are the only good ones left these days it seems. Ok, so Persona 3 and Persona 4 are PS2 but so what :p

Then again, Western RPGs are on teh come up especially sales wise. Oblivion and Fallout 3 are pretty epic.

Go look at sales for Fallout and Oblivion in the US and It's no wonder less and less JRPGs are made these days. Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant sales were pretty poor (as were their reviews tho to) Lost Odyssey did decent (looks to be the only non-Final Fantasy JRPG to hit over 500k world wide this generation for consoles. Damn I'm gonna edit this a hundred times, because we all know Dragon Quest will sell hotcakes on the handheld market, less everything else) but nothing is going to touch the sales of Fallout or Oblivion. Even in Japan RPGs don't sell as much anymore. The Shin Megami Tensei games seem to be the only exception to this rule for US and Japan sales.

Even if sales were on the high run I can't see myself enjoying RPGS much anymore. It's why I've limited myself to three RPGs a year unless I beat them all, and that helps with backlog to.
This year I did four: Persona 3: FES, Fallout 3, Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata.
Next year It's probably going to be LO, Infinite Undiscovery and/or The Last Remanant, next Persona or Suikoden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Third person shooters.

I remember loving Syphon Filter 1 and 2 for the psone and still have some fairly fond memories of them.

Couldn't get into Resident Evil 4 (played for about 1 hour), gears of war 1 (played for 1 hour, was hoping i could get sucked in but couldn't).
I still tried to play Gears of War 2 because the hype machine got to me. Turns out I still hate the way the game plays.
Tried playing that Robert Ludlum's Bourne Conspiracy game for 360, thought it was trash.

As far as JRPGs go...... I still love them! Lost odyssey and blue dragon were great! Eternal Sonata was okay, Tales of Vesperia was middling, Last Remnant is.......(well the less said about this game the better)

Lately I've been getting tired of FPS games, mainly their single player modes. It's just too much shooting, what I need in my games now is a strong core genre coupled with some other genre so that things don't get dull.

bread's done
Back