The "Going to College '09" Thread.

darthbudge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Well, I just got back from visiting my school today and I am officially registered for classes, and I have secured my dorm room.

I decided to go to Texas State Technical College in Waco, and I am going for a double major in Computer Networking and Systems Administration and Network Security Technology. I will be starting in the fall, and this will be my freshman year.

I am starting to get pretty nervous now about getting stuff ready for the move, and also trying to get all of the financial aid stuff in order.

So, I figured I would just create a thread for anyone else who is going to start college in the fall, or just any other college related discussion.

Feel free to talk about what college you are going to, what you plan on majoring in, as well things like getting ready for moving out and so on.

I'll be the first to throw out the "college is what you make it" statement. Personally, I've met lots of cool people already and plan to make even more friends when I return in the fall. I don't know if my college is an exception, but there's an absurd amount of great-looking women here.

I just started college again this spring. I got my AA about 3 years ago, and couldn't decide what I want to do, so I just worked my ass off. I go to University of North Florida, and I'm majoring in English and minoring in Mass Communications. It's looking like I'll be done in Spring '10. Not too shabby, getting it all done in one year, eh? The plan is to get my masters in English or Library Science, but it will probably be English since I've been told I'm a strong candidate for the program. And as far as moving out, I can't really help you. I'm moving in December, but it's because I'm getting married, not because of college. Hope everything goes smooth for you.

You did say a random college discussion, lol. Good luck to you guys.

You want advice kids? Well ol' Uncle Jin is here to help.....

After my two years of school so far at ASU....i've learned three things:

One....have sex.....trust me....you'll be picky at first which is good but sex with girls is like life....good times and bad....you'll bang ugly chicks (I don't, but knowing you $$$$$$s, ya will) and you'll bag your buddies girlfriend (lost a good friend, but it was worth it)

Two....college is ridiculously easy.....cram for finals and you'll be solid....

Number three.....and you'll thank me for this one.....learn when to WALK AWAY from booze....your friends will say "Shot? Just one more" girls will clamor for you to down one so they don't feel like a total fuckin' whore.....but listen to me kids....if your body is telling you no.....just walk away....it's like John Elway....you just gotta leave when your on top of your game....

Ya'll are welcome....shoulda charged for this but hey.....i'm a great guy.

I'm going to the University of Minnesota this fall. I'm hoping to do something design related and maybe lead to Graphic Design. I've got a few friends from high school that are going there so I wont be totally alone right when I get there...

Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio, TX this fall...major is Computer Information Systems Security+

havent been to TX since i was 5 so if anyone wants to help me around, i'd be greatful

Grats, at my school we compete against them in the SkillsUSA competition every year. I'm the adviser for the Web Design competition. We've kicked their asses the last three years.

If you happen to do any of that stuff give me a holler next March when comp. time roles around.

I already got my BS, so I'm going to pass some wisdom, what m3ph33r m3 said is true. When you think you have had one too many stop. Everyone else will be too blasted to notice you stopped drinking. When you hit your peak of buzz just ride it out.

And just because you think a class is easy doesn't mean you should slack off in it. Get a good buffer so that tests don't really matter and get to the point that even if you fail the final you'll pass. There is nothing better then having 5 finals and only having to study for 4.

[quote name='lilytrabbit']Grats, at my school we compete against them in the SkillsUSA competition every year. I'm the adviser for the Web Design competition. We've kicked their asses the last three years.

If you happen to do any of that stuff give me a holler next March when comp. time roles around.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I dunno if I am gonna do the SkillsUSA stuff, but they certainly talk about it all the time.

If you don't mind me asking, what school do you go to?

[quote name='DreadMech']I'm going to the University of Minnesota this fall. I'm hoping to do something design related and maybe lead to Graphic Design. I've got a few friends from high school that are going there so I wont be totally alone right when I get there...[/QUOTE]

See you there, bro.

Small world,

I am currently attending Minnesota School of Business, not the U of M. We be puttin' MN on the map!

[quote name='DarkSageRK']See you there, bro.[/QUOTE]

While I've already completed my undergrad, I spent 4 years as an RA, and I'm starting a masters program in the fall to get a degree in College Student Counseling and working as a graduate assistant in a university housing/residential life program, so if any of you have any questions about dorm life, I may not be able to answer specific policy questions, but I've dealt with pretty much every kind of roommate conflict or rules violation you can imagine, and know how they're dealt with by most colleges.

If you're living in a dorm with communal showers, make sure you get shower shoes. You won't regret it.

Just graduated Sunday and I am so fucking glad to be out of there and start "teh real world." I think I'm in the minority though. College was too easy for me (probably because I was good at my major) and since I'm very shy, I didn't like going to bars and parties.

My BA was in Communication Studies/Film. I decided to make a career change given the economy, and most of my recent work experience has been at colleges.

If you want to work at a major university (and I live in Boston, where a lot of major universities are) in anything in student affairs (that's admissions, housing/reslife, student activities, judicial affairs, academic advising or orientation), you need a masters.

There's 2 masters degrees you can get. The first is a masters of science in College Student Counseling, which focuses on dealing with college student's development issues (everything from helping them make career/education decisions to roommate conflicts to helping people who are suicidal), basically it's similar to being any other counselor in education (high school, elementary school), but you have to focus on one age group. The other degree you can get is a masters of education in Higher Education Administration, which focuses more on how to run a university like a business. Most schools only offer one program or the other depending on how they view higher education (as a developmental tool or a business, I personally think it falls somewhere between).

This thread makes me feel old. I graduated two years ago, so I think I can safely offer this sage (and obvious) advice: Enjoy it. I wouldn't go so far as to say college is the most fun time of your life, but it's definitely the most fun you can have without the ramifications being more serious.

Oh, and don't forget to study hard. The way the economy is going right now, college grads aren't just being handed jobs. You have to deserve it, so keep those grades up.

I'll be re-starting my master's at UCLA this fall (first year was at my alma mater but left early for a job) in Electrical Engineering. It's a one course per quarter online system.

[quote name='PhrostByte']My advice: Drink, but not too much. Also, don't do hard drugs. Everything else will surely fall into place. :][/QUOTE]

10 years ago I was in all your positions... ready to brave college.

I like this advice, drink beer only for a while, build some tolerance... nothing worse then puking on some hard shit. Weed is the only drug anyone should be touching.

As for the ladies, always use the rubbers and try not to kiss too many strange skanks, colds and sore throats and flu's run through college campuses like the plague.

My only advice is this: DO INTERNSHIPS. Try and sign up as early as you can, and do as many as you can. I'm in my senior year and I'm regretting not having done that. Now I'm trying to scramble and get whatever I can. Don't be an idiot like me! Haha.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']My only advice is this: DO INTERNSHIPS. Try and sign up as early as you can, and do as many as you can. I'm in my senior year and I'm regretting not having done that. Now I'm trying to scramble and get whatever I can. Don't be an idiot like me! Haha.[/QUOTE]

I second this advice... I never did one, I never worked a day in the field I got a degree for (I make great money so it's fine in the end, but still... do it.)

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']My only advice is this: DO INTERNSHIPS. Try and sign up as early as you can, and do as many as you can. I'm in my senior year and I'm regretting not having done that. Now I'm trying to scramble and get whatever I can. Don't be an idiot like me! Haha.[/QUOTE]

Also, if you find a Prof. whose area of study is particularly interesting to you, don't be afraid to see if they offer any kind of undergraduate research. Usually acts as course credit, can get you some nice experience, as well as an awesome letter of reccomendation.

Yup. And most internships offer you a full-time job after you graduate too if you do well.

Studying Abroad is also a great experience. Its pretty easy to find a study abroad program that fulfills major requirements and its a good excuse to spend some time out of country partying for a couple of months

just started graduate school, gonna be another long few years...

after TAing a few courses, I realized now, most kids have no F'in idea what they want to do with their lives and blow most of college away just going through the motions of taking classes and having fun. college is the most opportune time of your life to go out and try a few different possible career paths without major consequences if you want to change.

Wanna do engineering? find a lab to work in. wanna do science? go find a lab to work in. wanna do medicine? find someone to shadow. take advantage of this and you'll come out with a strong resume.

[quote name='Locke588']Studying Abroad is also a great experience. Its pretty easy to find a study abroad program that fulfills major requirements and its a good excuse to spend some time out of country partying for a couple of months[/QUOTE]

As an addendum to this, if you're only interested in partying abroad find a program that's less rigorous (or do Semester at Sea or something). I made this mistake and spent a good portion of my semester at King's College in London in various pubs, and was rewarded with the lowest GPA I got in 4 years. Oops.

[quote name='darthbudge']Yeah, I dunno if I am gonna do the SkillsUSA stuff, but they certainly talk about it all the time.

If you don't mind me asking, what school do you go to?[/QUOTE]

Come on you got to do the Skills it's a big nerd fest, and free trip to San Antonio for state comp. and KC for Nationals. I only do it due to students who want to go, in reality I wish they would all quit it, I hate that stupid competition.

Which to answer the second question Lamar Institute of Technology or LIT. I'm not a student, I'm the Professor, or if you want to be technical my title is Assistant/Associate Professor III since my school is cheap and won't pay Professor wages. I'm currently working on my Masters in CS and a Bachelors in Graphic Design.

bread's done
Back