The Good, the Bad and the Last Movie You Saw

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']the life aquatic...what a fucking waste of my time[/QUOTE]

How can you not love Bill Murray pulling his glock on a pregnant woman? :lol:

I've got Garden State in right now, not really watching it though.

I went with some friends to see the exorcism of emily rose last night. It was good. The actual exorcism scene was pretty freaky and there was a little shutter walking out of the theater knowing it was based on a true story...

3am.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']How can you not love Bill Murray pulling his glock on a pregnant woman? :lol:

I've got Garden State in right now, not really watching it though.[/QUOTE]

some parts weren't horrible :lol:

i do think ill put Garden State in right now...it's been sitting on my shelf for quite some time

wait...i just realized something because i forgot i was talking to you and Natalie Portman is in Garden State....when you say "not really watching it"...do you mean what i think you mean? :lol:

[quote name='modium']3 Women

Great film. You sure that's Robert Altman?[/QUOTE]

Altman is a great director, I think. Or should I say can be a good director? ;)

Some of his work is very mundane... but he'll surprise you from time to time.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']some parts weren't horrible :lol:

i do think ill put Garden State in right now...it's been sitting on my shelf for quite some time

wait...i just realized something because i forgot i was talking to you and Natalie Portman is in Garden State....when you say "not really watching it"...do you mean what i think you mean? :lol:[/QUOTE]

No, I mean I just had it on in the background. I do that with movies I've seen many times.

Besides, I don't do ... that ... to Natalie. I think it has something to do with respect ... I don't really understand it myself but that's how I am. Same with Scarlett.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']the life aquatic...what a fucking waste of my time[/QUOTE]

That's too bad. ;(

I regard The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou as my third or fourth favorite film.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

What the...a Robert Altman film that's great?!? Guess the 4th time's a charm.

[quote name='modium']3 Women

Great film. You sure that's Robert Altman?[/QUOTE]

And there's more of them!

Kiki's Delivery Service

Great great film, really heartwarming. And there was a damn cat in it! How did Miyazaki know I'm a sucker for a cute fucking ball of fur?

[quote name='Brak']That's too bad. ;(

I regard The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou as my third or fourth favorite film.[/QUOTE]

that's also too bad...behind Die Hard, Die Hard, Die Hard & Die Hard, it should be your fifth favorite movie at best :lol:

finished Garden State early this morning...it wasn't that good, but it had some funny parts...right now im watching Redemption, which doesn't seem to be that good either....i think im getting picky in my old age

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']finished Garden State early this morning...it wasn't that good, but it had some funny parts...right now im watching Redemption, which doesn't seem to be that good either....i think im getting picky in my old age[/QUOTE]

Not so much picky as just you don't know what's good anymore. ;)

I mean really, fucking Die Hard? :roll: :lol:

[quote name='Zman310']Chinatown

An all-time classic, one of the best films there is; I love it.[/QUOTE]

Ever seen the sequel that Nicholson directed?

The Two Jakes

[quote name='Brak']Ever seen the sequel that Nicholson directed?

The Two Jakes[/QUOTE]

Nope. From what I hear, it's a fairly disappointing followup, and with all the other films out there I'd really like to see, it's not high on my list, but I wouldn't mind checking it out, someday.

Dead Meat - Surprisingly, I enjoyed this movie far more than I expected. The acting isn't the best, but it makes due to say the least. The movie however rips off lots of ideas from other films of the same genre (i.e. like every Romero film). The zombie cow and the mad cow mutation idea was interesting to say the least, but I don't feel that they played it out enough. The ending was very trite and seemed very abrupt though. It left me with a sour feeling on the film. Eh 6..7/10.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']finished Garden State early this morning...it wasn't that good, but it had some funny parts...right now im watching Redemption, which doesn't seem to be that good either....i think im getting picky in my old age[/QUOTE]

I'm sure crymnl already got to you (didn't see his post), but blasphemer. Garden State is an awesome movie. One of the best of last year. End of story. Period.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I'm sure crymnl already got to you (didn't see his post), but blasphemer. Garden State is an awesome movie. One of the best of last year. End of story. Period.[/QUOTE]
When I saw it I was indifferent to it, didn't really feel very strongly positive or negative, just kind of a grey "*shrug shoulders*" area.

[quote name='guardian_owl']When I saw it I was indifferent to it, didn't really feel very strongly positive or negative, just kind of a grey "*shrug shoulders*" area.[/QUOTE]

Well, that still better than saying it is a bad film.

The Virgin Spring

Early-ish Bergman, later remade as Last House on the Left. Great film, far superior to Wes Craven's turd of a film. Though, I could only find the dubbed version on VHS, so I'm sure it suffered. :cry:

The Man In the Grey Flannel Suit

Good movie but crappy, and inappropriate, ending like is the case with so many 50s movies. I just didn't feel the ending was really where the rest of the movie was going.

Ong Bok. It's all about bicycle elbows. The replays were annoying after the first time, but everything else was good.

[quote name='The VGM']Drunken Master (I)

Me and my dad were laughing at the hilarious English dialogue.[/QUOTE]

Did you watch the classic dub where the master sounds like a drunken hillbilly? :)

Jackie: Teacher, what the hell was that?
Master: 100% proof!
Jackie: Shit... I'm drunk!

Then Jackie proceeds to kick the ass of the villain and finishes him off with an elbow drop. Classic. :)

*********SPOILER WARNING: Possible Spoilers: Read At Your Own Risk If You Haven't Seen Usual Suspects: May Give Away some of it**********************************

The Usual Suspects - This was one of the movies that I haven't had the chance of viewing,
but that I had always wanted to. Now I enjoyed the movie from the get-go, but I felt
it was slightly overdone in some respects. As soon as the mystery
started when they were all going into interogation room (I'm not sure if
this is its name, but the room where they all line-up to each other) did
my mind start racing that there was someone orchestrating all of the
events. Without any previous knowledge of the film, I kept having this
feeling like there was going to be some turn-around or plot twist so I
started to take it all in and watch very carefully. As soon as they
mentioned the sven-gallian (spelling) figure of Keysor Soze, did my mind
start to believe that it was one of the "Usual Suspects". I had had it
narrowed to the gimp/Verbal Kint (played by Spacey) or Keaton (played by
Pollack I believe). I seem to not be to far from the mark. It was
intriguing to see how Singer created the myth of Keysor Soze and
continually twisted it making you second guess yourself as to who it was
this mastermind in the film. Spacey's performance in the film was one
of the best I've seen for him and in general. It beat his performance
in Se7en, which I didn't think anything of his would beat (though
American Beauty comes close) The entire ensemble cast was excellent truly.

8.8/10

Wasabi - One of the best and quirkiest action films I have ever seen. Jean Reno is just awesome in this film. He really takes to the character of Hubert. The backstory to the film is about a cop, Hubert Feriorentini, who is a work-a-holic. He has no friends, no love life, and no children, or at least he thinks. When he finally pulls one too many stunts of his, he is put on a suspension. He recieves an unexpected phone call from Japan, saying that his long lost love has died and left him as the Sole Legatee, which is where all the fun begins. He rushed over to Japan and suddenly finds out that he has daughter.
I felt that every scene was just wonderful and worthwhile to see with the bits of subtle humor place here and there. Just a fun film, and a great action film The character of Momo seemed out of place and really unneccessary as a whole to the film. Well, I guess they need the sidekick to the cop so I guess that's his place, but he definitely speaks to much in the film and is rather annoying. Also, the scene where Hubert and his daughter go to a I would've liked a bit more background on the character of Hubert, as they constantly go back to it, but still it didn't hamper the movie at all. The ending was too abrupt though. Just ends when he gets onto the plane and they discover, etc....anyhow, I have the impression that they simly ran out of ideas for how to end the film. Still a great film. Oh, I don't have her name, but the actress that plays Hubert's (Reno) Asian/Japanese daughter is 7/10

Good: Crash (2005)

Bad: War of the Worlds (2005) the one that came straight to video; not Spielberg's

Last: The Grudge (2004)

[quote name='Renzokuken']
Kikujiro[/QUOTE]

That's an awesome movie. One of my favorite Kitano movies.

"If you touch one hair on my head, I will crush your families!"

(cuts back to him, all bloody and bruised)

"Come on, guys. Lay off..."

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']*********SPOILER WARNING: Possible Spoilers: Read At Your Own Risk If You Haven't Seen Usual Suspects: May Give Away some of it**********************************

The Usual Suspects - This was one of the movies that I haven't had the chance of viewing,
but that I had always wanted to. Now I enjoyed the movie from the get-go, but I felt
it was slightly overdone in some respects. As soon as the mystery
started when they were all going into interogation room (I'm not sure if
this is its name, but the room where they all line-up to each other) did
my mind start racing that there was someone orchestrating all of the
events. Without any previous knowledge of the film, I kept having this
feeling like there was going to be some turn-around or plot twist so I
started to take it all in and watch very carefully. As soon as they
mentioned the sven-gallian (spelling) figure of Keysor Soze, did my mind
start to believe that it was one of the "Usual Suspects". I had had it
narrowed to the gimp/Verbal Kint (played by Spacey) or Keaton (played by
Pollack I believe). I seem to not be to far from the mark. It was
intriguing to see how Singer created the myth of Keysor Soze and
continually twisted it making you second guess yourself as to who it was
this mastermind in the film. Spacey's performance in the film was one
of the best I've seen for him and in general. It beat his performance
in Se7en, which I didn't think anything of his would beat (though
American Beauty comes close) The entire ensemble cast was excellent truly.

8.8/10[/QUOTE]
Continuing discussion of above movie so spoilers ahead.

All I knew about the movie was that there was a twist at the end, as soon as I saw kevin spacey limping around, and how much the camera was focusing on it, beating the audience over the head with this fact so you could not miss it, I knew immediately it was him. Ironically, when the first twist was that it was gabriel byrne who was Keyser Soze it completely blew my mind and I thought "boy I didn't see that one coming!" Then they changed it so it was Kevin Spacey, so I was like "oh...so I was right, how dissapointing." It's gotten to the point with all these "twist endings" and multiple personality movies you can pretty much discren from the trailers and TV spots what the twist ending is. I saw previews for Hide & Seek with Robert Di Nero, I thought I had figured out the twist, and had no interest in watching it, so I just went to the IMDB boards, and sure enough, I was right *yawn*.

End Spoilers

The last movie to truly surprise me with a the twist is Frailty, excellent little flick to check out sometime.

bread's done
Back