The Great Canadian Price Drop

imcrazy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I went to pre-order Uncharted 2 today and it turns out it is only 59.99 at eb games. Did a quick check and it's the same at future shop.

I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come. Now that the Canadian dollar is almost on par with the American dollar, Canadian retailers are finally paying attention.

While this is only confirmed for Uncharted, I think we will see this with other games in the coming weeks. A similar thing happened last year at around this time.

Hell. Yes.

I was fine with the $10 price hike this generation. I wasn't so happy when we got another $10 tacked on for being Canadian again.

That's cool news. Amazon.ca dropped U2 to $59.99 about a week ago as well. What I'm hoping is for Ratchet and Assassins Creed 2 to get price dropped before release also.

Just a heads up for those of you who don't know. Movie Gallery still sells all new games for $59.99. They actually never raised their prices when all of the other stores did.

Hell yes, I preordered at $69.99 at EB, so it means they will give me $10 back credit when I pickup... great stuff.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']Just a heads up for those of you who don't know. Movie Gallery still sells all new games for $59.99. They actually never raised their prices when all of the other stores did.[/QUOTE]

I was told by staff at movie gallery that they just use the US price lists for everything as they are a US company (and that is what their stock is provided to them at from head office) too bad we don't get their sales too

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Too bad COD MW2 will still be $69... Sorry, $69.99![/QUOTE]

CAGcast reference FTW!

I'm surprised it's going down to $59.99 rather then just going down to $64.99

At the current exchange rate $59.99 US = $64.04 (roughly) CDN. I'm not complaining though

So, since I currently have 3 games paid for at $69.99 I should expect $10 back on the Edge card when I pickup my preorder? Even if I did T3G1 for them?

In the past (ex wii games) $10 was given back for t3g1f. One store gave me $$$$ at one (not credit!), but supposed to be credit

I was totally going to cancel my Uncharted 2 pre-order at EB and switch to Amazon, which was $59.99. I'm happy now, because I'll be getting the game on the day of release for $59.99 at EB, as opposed to one day after with Amazon.

I'm sure they made the switch because people were canceling their orders.

[quote name='cashinstinct']Hell yes, I preordered at $69.99 at EB, so it means they will give me $10 back credit when I pickup... great stuff.[/QUOTE]

Is this because you paid the entire $69.99 the day you pre-ordered? I only put down $5 at EB, so I assume I will only be paying the remaining $54.99 + tax the day of?

[quote name='skibumm']Is this because you paid the entire $69.99 the day you pre-ordered? I only put down $5 at EB, so I assume I will only be paying the remaining $54.99 + tax the day of?[/QUOTE]

Ya you will only have to pay $54.99 instead of $64.99. But most of use used the trade 3 get it free deal, and our orders are for $69.99, so we might get lucky and get $10 back in credit.

If you did trade 3, get 1 free, you shouldn't get $10 back, because you didn't "pay" 69.99 for the game. It's just that. Trade 3, get 1 free. Not Trade 3, get one free + $10. The price becomes irrelevant to the promo. That's the rule anyways. As always though, ymmv, because EB hires idiots.

All of you that did the T3GIF when it was valued at $69.99 most likely will be getting back $10 on an Edge card when you pick up the game.

I was planning to get this game with a T3GIF and then return it within 7 days under EB's gaming guarantee, but now because of the price drop it looks like I'll just straight up pay for it with my Edge card.

R&C is 59.99 at EB now, was going to order it tonight but got AC2 instead when I heard that. I suppose they'll all go to 59.99, sucks for guaranteed ones.

Weird, I had a bit of trouble with doing the guarantee with shift, they thought it was one week from release day, no one week from pick up. Had to get them to phone elsewhere to ask. Wonder how many people they already turned away(it was the manager too)? They had do go looking through papers to see if the trade 2 for NHL+motion thing was on too.

HE said something about they just heard you have to keep your preorder receipt if you want to change the game or return it now as there is too many people abusing it (didnt say how its being abused). if you don't have your receipt you only an get $8X3 back

Didnt have a halo code left for me either.

i just phoned eb and the guy said we shud be able to get back $10 on edge card.
he also said that if other employees say its only part of the promotion deal for T3 towards a free game, he strongly believes we shud be able to get our $10 back. So i hope it works for us.

Last year when this happened, I got 10 dollars back on every trade 3 I had done (on an edge card). This was between 2 different stores. So unless your EB is full of anal employees, you will likely be getting that trade in credit back.

While this is great news I don't see myself paying 59.99 for a game until FFXIII. Wii games at 39-49 however make it easier to get a game on day 1.

That's good. Because I had 2 $69.99 games pre-ordered, but I was $5 short on credit on the edge card. But if those games are $59.99 now, I'll have enough credit on the card!

Woo hoo! Tax free games!

Just noticed that [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time is finally listed on Amazon.ca, and it's at $59.99. Now they just need to drop Assassins Creed 2 and I'll be set.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='cashinstinct']In eb system: God of war 3 is 59.99, assasin creed 2 69.99, heavy rain 69.99, gran turismo 5 69.99[/QUOTE]

maybe first party games made by Sony are cheaper ?

EDIT : Nevermind . Gran TUrismo 5 is not 60 bucks.

[quote name='turgore2008']maybe first party games made by Sony are cheaper ?

EDIT : Nevermind . Gran TUrismo 5 is not 60 bucks.[/QUOTE]

I remember once upon a time the 1st-party games were in fact cheaper; GT5 is still quite a ways away, it's quite possible it's price will drop down to $59.99 upon release.

WOWOWOWOWWOW hold on a sec. So they just dropped the $10 price hike on games here in Canada recently? I have spent the last half our counting out the money i have and adding up the cost of games and adding the tax. Right now its set up like this:

$70 - Modern Warfare 2
$70 - Brutal Legend
$60 - Dragon Age: Origins
$60 - Left 4 Dead 2
---------------------------
$260
$293.80 with tax

So your saying now its going to be like it was at the start of the year where games where priced like this.

$60 - Modern Warfare 2 [PC]
$60 - Brutal Legend [360]
$50 - Dragon Age: Origins [PC]
$50 - Left 4 Dead 2 [PC]
$220
$248.60 with tax

If this is true i will be a very happy panda.

[quote name='turgore2008']maybe first party games made by Sony are cheaper ?

EDIT : Nevermind . Gran TUrismo 5 is not 60 bucks.[/QUOTE]

I noticed it was ONLY games on the PS3 with $59 price tags (Ratchet, Uncharted 2), of course GT is releasing in MARCH 2010 so the price might've not dropped yet (if it ever is, you never know though, but on something that took 5 years to make they might want to make as much money as they can on this).

The multiplatform games are full priced of course.

[quote name='crusader8463']...
$60 - Modern Warfare 2 [PC]
$60 - Brutal Legend [360]
$50 - Dragon Age: Origins [PC]
$50 - Left 4 Dead 2 [PC]
...[/QUOTE]

You sir, are a true prince. It's nice to see more PC gamers here on CAG.

[quote name='kathos']You sir, are a true prince. It's nice to see more PC gamers here on CAG.[/QUOTE]

This. I have Dragon Age PC pre-ordered, and waiting for a sale on MW2 (lol Activision) and L4D2 (lol Valve). PC games seem to be hit and miss: some are $50 (Batman AA) and others are $60.

[quote name='kathos']
You sir, are a true prince. It's nice to see more PC gamers here on CAG.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm a PC gamer for life, but sadly we seem to be a dieing breed if you look at any website. The PC version of games are always getting looked down on or just flat out not even getting mentioned. I hate playing most games with a controller because i always feel like I'm fighting the controller more then the enemies on the screen. Plus I'm a huge multitasker so being able to alt tab and look stuff up online, listen to podcast while i play and so on and so forth has become second nature to me when i play games like MMO's. Plus i just prefer using a mouse and keyboard to play games with.

Anyway i literally JUST got off the phone with my local EBgames and got a pricing for all those games. Turns out it will be:

$59.99 Modern Warfare 2 [PC]
$69.99 Brutal Legend [360]
$54.99 Dragon Age: Origins [PC]
$49.99 Left 4 Dead 2 [PC]
$234.96 Base line
$265.51 With 13% Tax

Which is f-ing awesome for me because i was short about $40 with the last pricing. Now i will have $2 left over. TO THE DOLLAR STORE!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, MW2 actually went down? Or is that because its for the PC?

I'd have a hard time believing Activision dropping prices for ANY game, let alone their flagship, multi-million copy selling, blockbuster title...

[quote name='spzero']Wow, MW2 actually went down? Or is that because its for the PC?

I'd have a hard time believing Activision dropping prices for ANY game, let alone their flagship, multi-million copy selling, blockbuster title...[/QUOTE]

They're talking about PC

[quote name='spzero']Wow, MW2 actually went down? Or is that because its for the PC?

I'd have a hard time believing Activision dropping prices for ANY game, let alone their flagship, multi-million copy selling, blockbuster title...[/QUOTE]

Ya i edited it to show the platforms, forgot to add them in sorry. They are all for PC except Brutal Legends because there sadly is no PC version.

[quote name='crusader8463']Thanks, I'm a PC gamer for life, but sadly we seem to be a dieing breed if you look at any website. The PC version of games are always getting looked down on or just flat out not even getting mentioned. I hate playing most games with a controller because i always feel like I'm fighting the controller more then the enemies on the screen. Plus I'm a huge multitasker so being able to alt tab and look stuff up online, listen to podcast while i play and so on and so forth has become second nature to me when i play games like MMO's. Plus i just prefer using a mouse and keyboard to play games with.
[/QUOTE]

I used to be a die-hard PC gamer, but scored a really good deal on a 360 a few years ago. Since then, I have really come to enjoy the experience of sitting on a comfortable couch/chair and leaning back to relax while I play games. I know it seems like a silly reason, but it made a difference for me. The other aspect of consoles is the social -- it is much easier to have a 2+ player game with a console/tv instead of a PC (think Guitar Hero/Rock Band).

I still love to play PC games though. And I definitely agree with you about the keyboard/mouse combo, it's just not the same! Even after a few years of playing with a controller, it can still be a battle.

Nah, not in this lifetime, as long as morons keep buying it at full price (for DLC as well), they keep making it.

[quote name='crusader8463']Ya i edited it to show the platforms, forgot to add them in sorry. They are all for PC except Brutal Legends because there sadly is no PC version.[/QUOTE]

That sucks. PS3 it is then.

[quote name='onemorechanc']I used to be a die-hard PC gamer, but scored a really good deal on a 360 a few years ago. Since then, I have really come to enjoy the experience of sitting on a comfortable couch/chair and leaning back to relax while I play games. I know it seems like a silly reason, but it made a difference for me. The other aspect of consoles is the social -- it is much easier to have a 2+ player game with a console/tv instead of a PC (think Guitar Hero/Rock Band).

I still love to play PC games though. And I definitely agree with you about the keyboard/mouse combo, it's just not the same! Even after a few years of playing with a controller, it can still be a battle.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the consoles make the party gameing a lot easier.

Hm... Weird, FS has Uncharted for $59.99 but BB has it for $69.99. I was going to pre-order at BB for those nifty golden guns, but its obviously not worth $10 and I'm not even sure if they'll have the bonus.

If I pre-order at BB, could I price-match when I go and pick it up?

[quote name='spzero']Hm... Weird, FS has Uncharted for $59.99 but BB has it for $69.99. I was going to pre-order at BB for those nifty golden guns, but its obviously not worth $10 and I'm not even sure if they'll have the bonus.

If I pre-order at BB, could I price-match when I go and pick it up?[/QUOTE]

Pre-order, return your pre-order (or buy then return), and re-buy at FS. Takes a bit of work but you get your $10.

[quote name='spzero']Hm... Weird, FS has Uncharted for $59.99 but BB has it for $69.99. I was going to pre-order at BB for those nifty golden guns, but its obviously not worth $10 and I'm not even sure if they'll have the bonus.

If I pre-order at BB, could I price-match when I go and pick it up?[/QUOTE]

yes

[quote name='Achmat']yes[/QUOTE]

Well, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll get the game at the base 59.99 plus the 10% off.

[quote name='spzero']Well, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll get the game at the base 59.99 plus the 10% off.[/QUOTE]

10% off the difference, remember...so you'll get it for $58.99!

Man, I just picked up Unchated 2 from EB thinking that I'd get the extra $10 back on an edge card cause I did a trade 3 for it back when it was $69.99 , but it seems that head office has issued a letter telling employees that trade 3 don't get there money back. Kinda stupid... just a heads up for other people that did a trade 3, change it to another $69.99 game and pay uncharted 2 off with credit.

bread's done
Back