The Half Price Books Thread

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a big fan of Half Price Books I thought a thread discussing the various discounts, promotions and of course our finds was more than well deserved.

All deals posted in the OP and in this thread are YMMV by nature. Some things have universal prices (or damn near) but still.

Always remember to check our local store's page on the HPB.com website to see if it has any additional specials (such as comic Wednesdays)!

Current Promotions:

Upcoming Promotions:

Miscellaneous contest and other deals:

Educator's Discount: If you are an educator you can apply for the Educators Discount Card to save 10% every day at HPB. http://www.hpb.com/community/educators/

Notable Deals (Items that seem to be more universal):
This is not to add every single descent deal found at HPB, but to post ones that seem to be more universal (i.e. items marked with SuperBuy rather than clearance or is reported in multiple places).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, found Mario 64 for $30, $19 with tax after coupon. Can’t believe it. Usually goes $40+ at retro stores. 1/10 HPB/thrift store ventures turn out great for me on game finds and this was one of them, feels good haha

I finally asked the manager of my nearby HPB why their video game prices are three years behind 1/2 off retail pricing and why some used games are more expensive than their new versions at Best Buy. He said that video games comprise so little of their overall sales that they don't track current pricing or update their games pricing. He admitted that their pricing isn't up to date and even advised I buy my used games elsewhere. Couldn't believe what I was hearing but whatever.

I finally asked the manager of my nearby HPB why their video game prices are three years behind 1/2 off retail pricing and why some used games are more expensive than their new versions at Best Buy. He said that video games comprise so little of their overall sales that they don't track current pricing or update their games pricing. He admitted that their pricing isn't up to date and even advised I buy my used games elsewhere. Couldn't believe what I was hearing but whatever.
Holy. Shit. Sounds like he needs to find a new line of work.

Holy. Shit. Sounds like he needs to find a new line of work.
Sadly, I suspect the situation is the same at other HPB’s. At least where I live, the locations I’ve visited tend to have pricing that’s 3 years or so off. So, for example, Bloodborne is $19.99 used at the HPB stores I’ve visited in the past few months ...whereas that’s it’s price brand new at all retailers and has been for awhile now. So, the 50% coupon days simply bring the game prices down to where they should be in the first place. Maybe there are some HPB’s with better and up to date gaming pricing but I haven’t seen it lately. The pricing might be better for PS3 and 360 games but I’ve found they typically don’t budge much for PS4/X1 games.

One of my stores had a Pandora's Box 6 Arcade stick for $100 pre coupon. Was gonna buy the thing to gut for my Arcade 1-up but apparently some jerk has had it on hold for 2+ days and still hasn't gotten it.

Other than that I got an Art of Rick and Morty and an Art of Mass Effect book so I can't complain

Just received my percentage off coupons today. The title of the email is "Your coupons have arrived".

Mar. 9-10 - 20%

Mar. 11-12 - 30%

Mar. 13-14 - 40%

Mar. 15 - 50%

Thanks I signed up and got 10% off

I find some decent deals at my hpb it’s mostly pricecharting prices, but for harder to find games that’s enough for me.
The 10% coupon is the welcome coupon. You should receive the other coupons in a few days.

I remember my local HPB had a complete copy of Rule of Rose a few years back. It was priced at $180 I think?

I didnt end up getting it because it was really hard to spend that much on a ps2 game, despite knowing it would continue to go up in price

Weird coupon week so far. One of my HPBs apparently decided to start price-gouging; lots of overpriced shovelware, common DVDs close to original MSRP, etc. Their selection was also the most barren I've ever seen it, and I've done a lot of coupon weeks. But then... they had Ring Fit Adventure with the ring behind the register, for $39.99 before coupon. Even preowned, that's an insane deal compared to eBay and I snapped it up quick.

The other store had much better stock, and I'll be hitting it up the rest of the week for DS/3DS/maybe Vita goodies. Yesterday's pickup was The Louvin Brothers - "Satan is Real" on vinyl for $13-ish after coupon. I love that album, man, and it's worth it for the cover art alone.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/60/Satan_is_Real.jpg/220px-Satan_is_Real.jpg

Just scored Astral Chain for Switch for 28$. Probably my best game find since getting Pokken for Switch for $18. They also had Jedi Fallen order for $50, might grab it if it lasts till Sunday

Also found a complete works of Yoshitaka Amano for $26. Replaced my older copy I got at HPB years ago and I'll sell that one on eBay since it's out of print now.

Just scored Astral Chain for Switch for 28$. Probably my best game find since getting Pokken for Switch for $18. They also had Jedi Fallen order for $50, might grab it if it lasts till Sunday
Also found a complete works of Yoshitaka Amano for $26. Replaced my older copy I got at HPB years ago and I'll sell that one on eBay since it's out of print now.
That's an awesome find, I feel like Astral Chain is one of the absolute toughest Switch games to find on sale. Even Three Houses at least had a Black Friday deal... >_>

That's an awesome find, I feel like Astral Chain is one of the absolute toughest Switch games to find on sale. Even Three Houses at least had a Black Friday deal... >_>
Yeah I saw it in the case and did a triple take because I'm so used to seeing shovelware. That store had a pretty stacked collection of games and comics. Sadly it's like 50 minutes from me so I tend to only go once every month or two.

Do they run the weekly coupon sales anymore? I was randomly thinking about it last night and couldn't remember the last time I got an email with one.

Also has everyone's HPB priced games over Ebay pricing now? I used to be able to get some good deals but now it's laughable they think anyone will buy stuff at those prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they run the weekly coupon sales anymore? I was randomly thinking about it last night and couldn't remember the last time I got an email with one.

Also has everyone's HPB priced games over Ebay pricing now? I used to be able to get some good deals but now it's laughable they think anyone will buy stuff at those prices.

They haven't since the pandemic began (understandably, their coupon week results in packed stores so I'm sure they felt it would be both unsafe and a bad look).

HPB has always used Amazon/recent eBay sales to determine in store prices for items. The thing that changed is that retro games are worth more now than they were 2-3 years ago resulting in the occasional spiked price on those sites. This does result in some craziness though when you have people who don't understand what they are pricing. Like sure, this game did sell, once, on eBay for $70 in the last year, but it was a sealed, brand new in box version (and it still took making it available to the entirety of eBay to find a buyer at $70) where-as this open/used version tends to sell for $15 and you're trying to sell to people who live in this specific suburb. Your $60 price tag is ridiculous.

Other times you can tell that they couldn't find recent sales on a game so just slapped a best guess on there. I've found some really obscure/rare 360 games at HPB because there are so few ebay/amazon sales the clerk had no idea what it was worth and just slapped a $10 sticker on it.

I didn't even know hpb was still a thing. I used to see them on price tracker I used to use with GameStop Amazon and eBay sales listings but that site is long gone sadly. Woot is another Amazon side gig thing that occasionally gets game deals once in a blue moon. I got my mint copy of Pokemon pearl from there.

Stopped going to HPB since the pandemic. Frankly, need to cut back on physical media buying so that's a good thing.

I maybe have bought 5 things tops there since the pandemic. The prices on games there are stupid and with no coupons it just doesn't make it worth it. I wish they would bring them back.

I maybe have bought 5 things tops there since the pandemic. The prices on games there are stupid and with no coupons it just doesn't make it worth it. I wish they would bring them back.

They charging collector prices now. I went in looking for old RPG books and they had a couple of supplements marked at $200!!! It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

HPB used to be somewhat legit, now the prices are like ebay and the selection is weak IMO 

I've perused a few locations too 

probably better in the boonies 

Yea, many of their prices in the DFW area are higher than eBay.

They’ve also been getting a lot of mtg cards - and they’re looking at tcg high regardless of condition. One had $50 for a bundle box of just lands.

Their game selection is way overpriced. They had a copy of Spawn, disc only, for $175.

Yea, many of their prices in the DFW area are higher than eBay.

They’ve also been getting a lot of mtg cards - and they’re looking at tcg high regardless of condition. One had $50 for a bundle box of just lands.

Their game selection is way overpriced. They had a copy of Spawn, disc only, for $175.

I used to clean up on those 50% off sale days.  Now you may get 1 10% off coupon a month.

I took 10 games worth $200 in to sell and they offered me $12 total for all.  They had some of the same games on the shelf for $30-40.  What a joke.

Yeah the only time you really get a good deal over there anymore is when they f*** up. About 2 years ago, I found an original French pressing of La Planète sauvage vinyl soundtrack which they obviously confused for the reissue. Picked it up for about a 20th of its value ($19.99). They're selling on discogs for about $400 right now.

I used to get so many games there back in the mid to late 2000s. Not anymore.

bread's done
Back