The iPad -- the end of comic books or a rebirth?

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!
There's a lot to discuss here. If comics move to digital content, see Marvel's iPad App, then so much can change. The end of collecting comics? What happens to the comic book store? Would the comics be cheaper given the distribution method?

not enough market penetration on the ipad to "replace comics".. if they dropped the price on it, then maybe there'd be a tiny chance.. comics are on the PSP and that made little to no impact.

well they already have an online comic portal with Marvel Online... need to see subscription numbers to really relate if it'll be a huge success.

And I don't think it'll be the end of comics... much like how baseball cards are still around, peopel will still collect them.

As for the price.. you're not going to see any cheaper... comics will just go up with inflation.

Yeah, not enough market to have a huge impact any time soon.

The Kindle, Sony Reader and other e-book readers have been around for 2-3 years--and that's just e-ink devices. E-books have been around for ages on PDAs etc.

And it's not yet had any real impact on the print book market.

Comics have been written 'for trades' for many years now.

I can't imagine digital DRM'd comics replacing trade paperbacks as the main comics consumption vessel for quite some time.

The end of collecting comics? I don't think so. I'm sure the big comic publishers understand the collectible nature of their products. By going completely digital, they would be alienating a large percentage of their readers that do collect. Going digital will however attract a new audience that may not necessarily care for the stacks of paper that collecting can create, yet still wish to read the same great stories.

[quote name='crystalklear64']i'm gonna blow your minds and introduce you to these awesome things called "computers"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer[/QUOTE]

Reading on computers (desktop or laptop) sucks hairy donkey balls.

Reading on a small, thin, light device like a Kindle or iPad is great as you can lay around and read just like you can with a print book, comic, magazine etc.

I'm one of those that don't care to collect anymore. I did that whole thing back in my teens. Now I subscribe to most comics through Marvel and DC directly getting them in the mail and usually bent. I just renewed for two years and the price per comic on Marvels side comes out to $38/2 years or $1.58 per issue. Most comics I won't ever read again so I can sell them off to a used book shop for $.75-$1. This brings my entertainment down to an affordable range for me.

If Marvel's comics through the app was priced at $1 each, I'd pick them up all day long and would subscribe to series I don't current read.

That's part of my issue with digital books in general, they want to get almost as much as print versions for them. It's ridiculous since most people will only read a fictional book once and then sell it off and recoup some money. Unfortunately, there's enough buying at the higher prices for the companies to not move despite the consensus that even more would buy at the lower rate and thereby getting more money through higher quantity sales.

Is DC coming out with a similar app?

I see it more likely to reinvent magazines then comics, just because of the collecting aspect of comics. The Times, Popular Science and GQ magazine apps look pretty damn cool and make me want to actually check out a magazine.

I do think it might open up the comic book industry to new people...I have never been much into comics other than big name graphic novels like Wanted, and Marvels Oz, but I am definately interested in the Marvel app, although it doesnt have Oz on it yet.

Also, comparing the ipad to the PSP is pretty ridiculous, the ipad would be infinitely better for reading this type of content because of its interface and size. Also, apple is much better situated to get publishers on board.

Digital comic books won't be cheaper than tangible comic books.

[quote name='SithFran']
That's part of my issue with digital books in general, they want to get almost as much as print versions for them. It's ridiculous since most people will only read a fictional book once and then sell it off and recoup some money. Unfortunately, there's enough buying at the higher prices for the companies to not move despite the consensus that even more would buy at the lower rate and thereby getting more money through higher quantity sales.
[/QUOTE]

I"ve not had the issue as I NEVER resold a book (excluding textbooks). Too much hassle to sell online, and the used book stores don't pay enough for it to be worthwhile. So they just end up gathering dust until I move and don't want to hassle with them and chuck them in a donation bin somewhere.

So I'm happy to pay $5-10 for e-books. No physical copy to hassle with, and I can keep the file permanently in case I want to re-read the book, without having to find space to store a physical book, lug it around everytime I move (and I move pretty often) etc. So the convenience factor is a HUGE plus for e-books for me personally.

Even if I only read it once, it's pocket change and a good value when I consider I pay $8-14 for movie tickets for 90-120 minutes of entertainment and I get more entertainment time than that out of reading a book once for $5-10.

2010-03-21-75f89edd.gif

As a Mac, a comic collector, AND comic creator, monthly series books have been on a trending decline for the past two decades. The trade paperback has become THE hot ticket. Actually, the industry has survived "the brink" several times and is still thriving. Digital formats are the future, but just like the digital distribution of game media, actual tangible comics aren't going anywhere.

As an artist with a hybrid digital workflow, I draw 50% paper and 50% digital to a Mac... and the tech kills the old process-- but you can't sell a .pdf, you CAN sell bristol board. Hollywood is eating up IPs left and right, don't worry your old comics aren't in danger of doing anything but gaining value.

In summation, I see the Ipad as another sketchbook I can carry to cons and show my work in neato fashion. If I can browse Zuda or catch up on a monthly series, even better. Death to the tangible product-- no. And at least comic creators are embracing the tech, look how long it took to get Grisham in e-reader format!

DID ANYONE SEE HOW MUCH ACTION COMICS #1 WENT FOR EARLIER THIS WEEK?

The ipad wont be changing shit outside of laptops. All of apples stuff are basically snob toys that are bought by people who want to sit in starbucks and play with them infront of other people and then bought later by everyone wanting to be that guy but cant afford it. Later other laptops will copy it so they can shoot for apples sales and that will be the end of it.

No one that actually likes comics, collects them will go digital. The guys that support the industry by going into a shop every wednesday and going to convention dont want digital comics. I know, I been going in the same comic shop every week for about 20 years and now I work a day or two in it for extra cash. Hell we have had the same dvd set that has like complete collections of captain america, superman, fantastic four and so on for 5 bucks and I have never seen one sell.

There is no comparrison to holding an actual comic and anyone who is an avid reader or collector will agree.

And they will never be cheaper than print issues. 25 cents less at the most and indie comics might be cheaper but you will never see marvel, dc, top cow, dark horse, image, avatar, ddp or any of those guys doing big price drops for digital. 95% of a comics cost is to pay for the writers, artists, the publishing company, royalties and so on. Comics on their own cost pennies to actually make.

^this
holy shit the hype of Apple products is unbelievable, they could announce a piece of shit and people would think its the second coming of Jesus

[quote name='vrblknch']As a Mac, a comic collector, AND comic creator, monthly series books have been on a trending decline for the past two decades. The trade paperback has become THE hot ticket. Actually, the industry has survived "the brink" several times and is still thriving. Digital formats are the future, but just like the digital distribution of game media, actual tangible comics aren't going anywhere.

As an artist with a hybrid digital workflow, I draw 50% paper and 50% digital to a Mac... and the tech kills the old process-- but you can't sell a .pdf, you CAN sell bristol board. Hollywood is eating up IPs left and right, don't worry your old comics aren't in danger of doing anything but gaining value.

In summation, I see the Ipad as another sketchbook I can carry to cons and show my work in neato fashion. If I can browse Zuda or catch up on a monthly series, even better. Death to the tangible product-- no. And at least comic creators are embracing the tech, look how long it took to get Grisham in e-reader format!

DID ANYONE SEE HOW MUCH ACTION COMICS #1 WENT FOR EARLIER THIS WEEK?[/QUOTE]

I am working on a graphic novel right now although I am not a Mac fan, I did look into the iPad to see if it was a suitable replacement to a Wacom Cintiq. Turns out it still has a long way to go before it can be useful for artists. The presure sensitvity is just not good enough for drawing with a style. I'm sure you can make pictures with it but its just not as good as a Wacom.

There seems to be a lot of news about this product (especially on the local news) but I can't for the life of me don't understand the hype. I understand the iPod....but not the iPad.

Gargus, I've heard the problem with those Dvds is that the quality of the scans aren't that great. If they're really that cheap send me a list of what your store has and how much, I might be interested.

I love to read comics but don't collect.

[quote name='gargus']The ipad wont be changing shit outside of laptops. All of apples stuff are basically snob toys that are bought by people who want to sit in starbucks and play with them infront of other people and then bought later by everyone wanting to be that guy but cant afford it. Later other laptops will copy it so they can shoot for apples sales and that will be the end of it.

No one that actually likes comics, collects them will go digital. The guys that support the industry by going into a shop every wednesday and going to convention dont want digital comics. I know, I been going in the same comic shop every week for about 20 years and now I work a day or two in it for extra cash. Hell we have had the same dvd set that has like complete collections of captain america, superman, fantastic four and so on for 5 bucks and I have never seen one sell.

There is no comparrison to holding an actual comic and anyone who is an avid reader or collector will agree.

And they will never be cheaper than print issues. 25 cents less at the most and indie comics might be cheaper but you will never see marvel, dc, top cow, dark horse, image, avatar, ddp or any of those guys doing big price drops for digital. 95% of a comics cost is to pay for the writers, artists, the publishing company, royalties and so on. Comics on their own cost pennies to actually make.[/QUOTE]

Gargus, you need to chill the fuck out and start listening to and respecting the opinions of others. I'm not saying that your own opinions are wrong, but you kill your credibility and just sound like a complete ass hat when you attempt to categorize and judge those who choose to purchase Apple products. With that said, I want to provide you with a little perspective, coming from someone who enjoys reading graphic novels and comics, but does not "go into the local comic book store every Wednesday or attend conventions".

I got into comics just a couple years ago. I have been intrigued with the X-Men since I was a child, watching the animated series on Fox. It wasn't until college when I finally decided to jump into the Marvel universe, specifically the Uncanny X-Men line. I did a little bit of research on how exactly I was going to be able to do this. Basically, I could have done my best to track down every issue, potentially spending an arm and a leg on highly-sought-after issues no longer in print. I could have also gone with the Essential collections that Marvel has put together for those interested in having a tangible reproduction of those long lost issues. The main problem with the Essential collections is that they are black and white and printed on the same shitty paper you find in coloring books. My final option was to purchase a $50 dvd containing fairly high quality scans of nearly every X-Men comic released to date. I'm guessing this is the same as those $5 dvds no one buys at the store you frequent.

I chose to go with the dvd and could not be happier. For an affordable price, I now have the entire X-Men library at my finger tips and it does not take up any room whatsoever. You may say that there is no comparison to reading a comic on a screen vs. actually holding a copy in your own hands, but I would disagree. In the end, whether you read it on a screen or in its print form, it is the same story with the same images.

Digital comics are not here to replace the print form. Each form has its own benefits and disadvantages and appeals to separate audiences. Comic book publishers are embracing the digital form to reach this new audience, but by no means are they neglecting their bread and butter customers, those who visit their local comic store every Wednesday and pick up the new releases.

Edit: And if you could also send me a list of what dvds your store carries / $$$, I may be interested purchasing a few. Thanks!

I have had PC's and Mac's, and while Mac's are much more expensive, in my experience they are better made. My Mac Classic still runs fine, but I have a series of Dell PC's that broke down, mostly due to HD failures. But after awhile, who feels like buying a new HD and reinstalling the OS, then all your applications, etc. So, now I'm back on a Mac, and it just feels better for whatever that's worth.

As for the original post, I think there is a real possibility that the printed comics go the way of the dinosaurs. People used to collect records, now records and tapes are gone, and how long before CD's are almost completely gone as well.

I have read and collected comics, but I have to say that at this time, given the option to just have recent comics in electronic form rather than keep them in long boxes, I'd opt for the electronic form. It's hard to believe I'm saying this, but most comics are not worth much as a collectible unless they are rare, very old, or there is something special about them. So, why keep them, and take up space? Plus, if they are in electronic form, then you can zip right to them, no un-boxing or un-bagging or trying to locate an issue in your collection. A couple of taps on the iPad, and there it is, the latest Superman, Batman, etc.

Also, although I tend to order comics on-line now, I did make the trek to the not so local comic shop for many years. And, while young kids don't read mainstream comics (too violent IMHO) and the store was typically visited by adults, I did feel a bit weird being an adult in a comic book store.

I'm conflicted, but one thing is for certain -- not everyone has a comic book store near them, so electronic comics would broaden the availability of the medium and certainly lessen the clutter in our lives.

The Marvel app is pretty damn slick. Downloaded it on my girlfriend's iPad just to check it out (never really got into comics big time other than a bit in middle school--still like them, but was a hobby that got dropped as I got busier).

In any case, they look great on the ipad, great interface in the app etc.

I don't think tablets will kill comics as many do like collecting them. Just like I don't think e-readers will kill paper books, and mp3s haven't killed CDs.

I'd buy some as I don't like having paper books I'll read once cluttering up the house--same reason I bought a Kindle for my novel reading. But others will keep collecting them. Just like I still buy CDs, even though I just rip them and do 99% of my listening with the MP3s.

[quote name='Alcedes']seriously the frame by frame view is so slick, makes me want to start reading comics again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKynwgUOZJo[/QUOTE]

My point exactly...might bring new folks in and bring some folks back. I think this is really cool, and frankly, the collecting aspect just takes up room and costs money, and most comics aren't worth much even years later. Basically comics are about the stories, and this seems to be a great way to read the stories, an go back to them easily.

comics do look spectaular on the ipad, I enjoy reading comics on that more then actual books or on the computer. the colors look vibrant and rich, they really do look great.

As shitty as Marvel's ebook system is, there will be no end to comics. I got Civil War on DVD and you can't read any of those on "unsupported devices". I wanted to read them on a PSP but the PDFs are shit.

I only really read graphic novels now, and prefer to just buy a few TPBs, like the Dark Horse Omnibus line. Otherwise, I think companies like Marvel went down the shitter under Quesada and his goon squad that run the company like a No Homers club. Hoarding the main franchises between eachother so no new blood has a chance to write.

bread's done
Back