The Ishmael OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
TEACHER seeks pupil. Must have earnest desire to save the world. Apply in person.

ishcover_edited.jpg

Alright; This is one of my favorite books and very mind opening. I am sorry that I don't have any great ideas for my first OTT.

[quote name='flowery']Im sorry I tried. Maybe I should have done the Whos In My Mouth OTT[/QUOTE]

Or even something entirely original. ;)

It's never too late to change it ...

[quote name='flowery']Im sorry I tried. Maybe I should have done the Whos In My Mouth OTT[/QUOTE]

OTT, Its what's for dinner

[quote name='flowery']The Tom Petty idea is good but if I cant think of something in the next 20 minutes I will change it.[/QUOTE]

No no no, Tom Petty is the one I've wanted to do for 2 threads now.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']No no no, Tom Petty is the one I've wanted to do for 2 threads now.[/QUOTE]

Thats fine...sorry for stealing it away.

Le sigh, my name Ismael, pronounced Is-mah-ehl but some bastards choose the Ishmael pronunciation, punk ass bizitches

[quote name='flowery']Thats fine...sorry for stealing it away.[/QUOTE]
No you're not . . . you're not sorry at all.

God what a horrible book that was. Anyone who uses the old testament of the bible as historical evidence when attempting to prove a point deserves to be shot.

It get's even better when you realize his who point is to choose negative words for things he dislikes and postive ones for those that he does. Then he procedes to pound these words into your head through the course of the book.

[quote name='zionoverfire']God what a horrible book that was. Anyone who uses the old testament of the bible as historical evidence when attempting to prove a point deserves to be shot.[/QUOTE]

You can't look at it that way. I am not a fan of praising the bible or anything but what he talks about Mother Culture and stuff like that is pretty amazing. Hey you have to just take it a face value and be open minded.

[quote name='flowery']You can't look at it that way. I am not a fan of praising the bible or anything but what he talks about Mother Culture and stuff like that is pretty amazing. Hey you have to just take it a face value and be open minded.[/QUOTE]

I'm saying he chooses things because they fit his framework, not because they are especially valid sources. It's funny how people keep saying you need to be open minded about works like this, without realizing what close minded assumptions the author expects you to make.

[quote name='zionoverfire']I'm saying he chooses things because they fit his framework, not because they are especially valid sources. It's funny how people keep saying you need to be open minded about works like this, without realizing what close minded assumptions the author expects you to make.[/QUOTE]

I understand I just like the viewpoint he lays out. It is like any other book including the bible or other religous texts. It just makes me think and start to question things like it should.

[quote name='flowery']I understand I just like the viewpoint he lays out. It is like any other book including the bible or other religous texts. It just makes me think and start to question things like it should.[/QUOTE]

I think our education system failed you.

[quote name='flowery']What do you mean?[/QUOTE]

I mean if a book like that can make you start to question things then you really could have used better teachers.

[quote name='zionoverfire']I mean if a book like that can make you start to question things then you really could have used better teachers.[/QUOTE]
Whaaa? New information causing you to adjust your views is bad?

[quote name='zionoverfire']I mean if a book like that can make you start to question things then you really could have used better teachers.[/QUOTE]

Actually a high school teacher introduced me to this book. Technically I don't think our current education system is all that great. Many things in our society is highly flawed.

I think we have the same opinion in a way though. I am saying really in some ways its not the evidence or the story but the premise of the idea.

I don't know man.

[quote name='jmcc']Whaaa? New information causing you to adjust your views is bad?[/QUOTE]

The book never seemed like new information, more like the same old song and dance with a few new fancy words slapped on. Call society takers, call hunter/gatherer's leavers and you've saved yourself 3 hours of pain.

[quote name='flowery']
I think we have the same opinion in a way though. I am saying really in some ways its not the evidence or the story but the premise of the idea.
[/QUOTE]

So in otherwords its the presentation that got to you?

Just take a look at the book, strip out all his pretty words and see what's left in your hands.

[quote name='zionoverfire']So in otherwords its the presentation that got to you?

Just take a look at the book, strip out all his pretty words and see what's left in your hands.[/QUOTE]

What other works offered out there has a similar approach?

[quote name='flowery']What other works offered out there has a similar approach?[/QUOTE]

The concept of the return to nature is very old if that's what you are asking about.

[quote name='zionoverfire']The concept of the return to nature is very old if that's what you are asking about.[/QUOTE]

That is a big chunk but it also looks at society and culture as a whole and returning back to nature is only an idea that can never be accomplished.

Alright man hey it may just be the same old shit different title but it is also its own creature.

[quote name='flowery']
Alright man hey it may just be the same old shit different title but it is also its own creature.[/QUOTE]

More that it's the same old shit that really ought to be known to people before they leave highschool. Also some of his leaps in logic are a bit much.

[quote name='zionoverfire']More that it's the same old shit that really ought to be known to people before they leave highschool. Also some of his leaps in logic are a bit much.[/QUOTE]

So what do you think about Dantes' Divine Comedy?

[quote name='SpottedNigel']http://ws.cdyne.com/NotifyWS/phonenotify.asmx?op=NotifyPhoneEnglishBasic

Line 1 - Phone # you want to reach
Line 2 - What you want the electronic female voice to say to the person on said phone
Line 3 - the number 0 for the "License key"
"Invoke"

Have fun. Creeped the hell out of my girlfriend.

Btw, it doesnt show up on caller ID

EDIT: she does say your IP address though[/QUOTE]
I'd so love to send my roommate a prank call through this thing. I'll have to try it out this weekend. Can you set the time you want the call or is it just done sometime after you request it?

[quote name='CaseyRyback']great fucking episode of South Park[/QUOTE]

Ah, shit. I forgot to watch it. It'll repeat later tonight, although I'll probably miss that one too.

Picked up Killer 7 for GCN for $15 just now. Couldn't resist.

[quote name='flowery']So what do you think about Dantes' Divine Comedy?[/QUOTE]

Never read the whole thing, while it's suppose to be humorous the religious overtones were still a bit much for me.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Never read the whole thing, while it's suppose to be humorous the religious overtones were still a bit much for me.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I don't understand why it is so praised. He has a very skewed elaboration of christianity is pretty crazy.

I liked Ishmael when I was a senior in high school....then I got to college and realized everybody under the sun can wax "heal the world" concepts, but that few are smart to have ideas that improve upon systems that are already in place.
just an observation...I'm not saying I'm one of those who has ideas that improve upon current systems ;-)

[quote name='flowery']Exactly. I don't understand why it is so praised. He has a very skewed elaboration of christianity is pretty crazy.[/QUOTE]

I think the point is that it's satire, but to enjoy it you have to know a bit more about catholic dogma than any sane person would.

Flowery, I came onto CAG to post in your OTT, and all ya got for me is a light beer? :lol:

No one's going to get that reference, as usual...

EDIT: Just finished reading the last OTT...

Subbie... not that it matters, but I didn't know that you "batted from the other side of the plate." So you got a thing for Jack White, huh? ;) :lol:

I've never heard of "Ishmael" before. Or maybe I have and blocked it out. :oops: :lol:

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Subbie... not that it matters, but I didn't know that you "batted from the other side of the plate." So you got a thing for Jack White, huh? ;) :lol:[/QUOTE]

I didn't say I thought he'd make a good looking woman, only that I've heard it said by others. :lol:

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Yep, they won. Everyone around town will be happy campers...[/QUOTE]

:D I am rooting for them. I don't like the White Sox, for some stupid reason.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']
I didn't say I thought he'd make a good looking woman, only that I've heard it said by others. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Sure, sure... :lol:

Doesn't matter, anyway. Meg is better than Michelle... and Elisha... and a lot of other favorites of yours. ;)

I rented the first season of Arrested Development today. Hopefully it's good. My brother saw an episode from the show (Season 2, I think) and he said it was hilarious. Hopefully the show is good... but then I'll have to eventually buy the DVDs...

[quote name='Saucy Jack']I rented the first season of Arrested Development today. Hopefully it's good. My brother saw an episode from the show (Season 2, I think) and he said it was hilarious. Hopefully the show is good... but then I'll have to eventually buy the DVDs...[/QUOTE]

there is no hoping. Its amazing

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Sure, sure... :lol:

Doesn't matter, anyway. Meg is better than Michelle... and Elisha... and a lot of other favorites of yours. ;)[/QUOTE]

I think those high fevers are really starting to effect your better judgement. :shame:

[quote name='Saucy Jack']I rented the first season of Arrested Development today. Hopefully it's good. My brother saw an episode from the show (Season 2, I think) and he said it was hilarious. Hopefully the show is good... but then I'll have to eventually buy the DVDs...[/QUOTE]

You doubt its greatness? Fear not, for you will soon be a true believer. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back