The Joey Styles' Punch-Out!! Pro-Wrestling thread

I have to admit, I'm starting to like that song Orton has for his theme. It's awful for his character right now, but I like the song itself.

Read this news article on LoP...about a die-hard WWE fan who got kicked out just because of a stare down between him and Batista:

WWE Fan Robbed of History
By: Derek Greser 11/15/08

This past Sunday at WWE Armageddon 2008, history was made. In a shocking conclusion to the event, Jeff Hardy captured the WWE Championship. This would mark the first time that the high-flying Superstar would capture what is considered to be crown jewel of the sports entertainment business. Any fan of the WWE and/or Jeff Hardy can tell you this has been a long time coming. The event emanated from HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY. The event marked the 2nd ever Pay-Per-View event in the city and venue's history, as well as its first major title change.

29-Year-Old Tom Griffith attended the event, and had front-row seats. Tom has been a 20-year tenaciously loyal fan of the WWE. I know Tom personally and I can say that without question, the WWE is one of the biggest passions in his life. Tom has attended over 25 live events in Buffalo, Toronto, Philadelphia and Rochester. He has purchased countless WWE DVD's and box-sets (many on their release date), video games, memorabilia, clothing, and roughly $7000 dollars on pay-per-view events.

Unfortunately for Tom, he was not able to witness history. Prior to the main event, Armageddon featured a mid-card bout between Batista and Randy Orton. Tom, an avid fan of Randy lead his friends in a raucous chorus of boos Batista's entrance. They even dared to direct a naughty hand gesture (The same that mega-star Stone Cold Steve Austin used on television for years) at the 300 plus lb. powerhouse dubbed "The Animal". Batista himself made eye contact with Tom and his friends, and got right in their face before ascending the ring apron. Due to the quality of Tom's seats, this was clearly visible to fans at home as well as in the arena.

Tom then received a signal from one of the cameramen working outside the ring. This WWE employee made the "slit the throat" gesture at Tom which universally means "cut it out". Tom nodded, and decided that he had expressed himself enough. Minutes later, approximately 8 imposing looking men dressed in gray suits asked if they could speak with Tom in the aisle. Tom obliged and was then walked out of the arena, concluding in the gray suits tearing his ticket up in front of him. The explanation Tom was given was "The person renting this building tonight has requested you be removed from it". Tom spent the rest of the event outside in the freezing rain waiting for his friends who were still inside to drive him home.

In the past, WWE has encouraged their fans to express themselves. Vince McMahon has encouraged fans to bring signs to their support, or anti-support of his performers. This leads to the question; why was Tom removed? He was not involved in an altercation with anyone performing at or attending the event. He was not publically intoxicated. The only possible reason Tom was removed is that the powers-that-be at WWE wanted to protect the image of their Superstar Batista, who is presented as a fan-favorite.

The right thing to do here is to refund Tom's ticket price. In the interest of fairness, this should be the very minimum. The best case scenario is to give Tom priority seating at the next WWE event at HSBC to make up for this obvious mistreatment of a great patron and fan. This article will be sent to World Wrestling Entertainment as well as HSBC Arena and Tickets.com. The ball is now the court of these companies. Will any of them step up to right this wrong?

I am asking for the support of the Pro-Wrestling community to please let Tom's story be heard. Let's protect the right to express ourselves as fans, and paying customers.

- Derek Greser

He deserves a refund. I swear WWE is so insecure with its talent and everything else they possess...especially using kayfabe in Real Life.

If Batista doesn't want people flicking him off he should learn how to wrestle.

[quote name='Blackout']If Batista doesn't want people flicking him off he should learn how to wrestle.[/quote]

:lol: This. Plus, grow a personality.

[quote name='vlv723']Read this news article on LoP...about a die-hard WWE fan who got kicked out just because of a stare down between him and Batista:

He deserves a refund. I swear WWE is so insecure with its talent and everything else they possess...especially using kayfabe in Real Life.[/QUOTE]
man.....this reminds me of the story i read a year or so ago about a couple of dedicated female fans who were protesting being kicked out. they used the "woe is us!" line

....not knowing that another fan just happened to get what they did on tape. let's just say i'm surprised a parent didnt knock them out for all that profanity...

yall gotta remember that kids do watch, and they do sit up front, and this is what is considered a kid-friendly show. you can't have audience members flicking people off and cursing like sailors and then act surprise when they get BOOTED

[quote name='strongpimphand']man.....this reminds me of the story i read a year or so ago about a couple of dedicated female fans who were protesting being kicked out. they used the "woe is us!" line

....not knowing that another fan just happened to get what they did on tape. let's just say i'm surprised a parent didnt knock them out for all that profanity...

yall gotta remember that kids do watch, and they do sit up front, and this is what is considered a kid-friendly show. you can't have audience members flicking people off and cursing like sailors and then act surprise when they get BOOTED[/quote]

Booting someone shouldn't be a first resort for rowdy behavior. If they didn't like what they were doing, they could have simply warned him to tone it down, and if they continued to act up, THEN it's safe to ask them to leave.

This just feels like another example of Vince tossing his weight around when the fans don't fall in line and buy into his bullshit.

[quote name='strongpimphand']man.....this reminds me of the story i read a year or so ago about a couple of dedicated female fans who were protesting being kicked out. they used the "woe is us!" line

yall gotta remember that kids do watch, and they do sit up front, and this is what is considered a kid-friendly show. you can't have audience members flicking people off and cursing like sailors and then act surprise when they get BOOTED[/QUOTE]

Yes. Leave the middle fingers, racism, idiocy, classism, homophobia, sexual assault/stalking, and misogyny to the professionals in the ring.

Are vulgarities in front of children uncouth? You betcha. I know better. I try to be conscious of my surroundings. But this is a pro rasslin' show, which, no matter how much we want to deny it, is still a largely hillbilly draw. This ain't golf, mon ami. And we can't expect people to not mimic the very things people do on the show week in and week out. Will they toss someone out of the show for doing the DX crotch chop and telling 'suck it'?

Guys, it's totally okay for DX to yell "suck it" and Austin to give the finger. Once you start doing it too, it crosses the line.

He was booted for gimmick infringement.

There's a free preview of "Gentleman's Choice" on www.eyesoda.com , which also allows you to stream the documentary for $8 or buy a DVD of it for $25. I might stream it, but I'd rather hold off on a national release for the DVD, as it'll be cheaper, and likely come with far more extras (like Heroes of World Class, which came loaded with extras thanks to Big Vision's two disc set, but will soon be available on Blu-Ray and on a single-disc release for less than the usual $20-ish price).

[quote name='Blackout']If Batista doesn't want people flicking him off he should learn how to wrestle.[/quote]

[quote name='neocisco']:lol: This. Plus, grow a personality.[/quote]

These. Also, the rope shaking needs to stop---unless he intends to wear face paint and tassels.

I'm watching ECW right now.

Wow. Jack Swagger does not fit in with Miz/Morrison.

Also, Punk's comment was awesome. "Luck's for losers. It says so on my arm."

[quote name='Chase']These. Also, the rope shaking needs to stop---unless he intends to wear face paint and tassels.[/quote]

And cut incoherent promos. Wait...scratch that.

[quote name='Chase']These. Also, the rope shaking needs to stop---unless he intends to wear face paint and tassels.[/QUOTE]
That's more of an extracurricular for Dave, really. The tassels I understand (hey, gotta tie off somehow), but the facepaint I think is just 'cause he wants to feel pretty. ;)

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Jeff's celebration didn't quite get the whole crowd unglued[/QUOTE]

Not sure how it looked on TV, but everyone literally went apeshit when he won. Seriously, like ever person in the arena jumped up and cheered.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'm watching ECW right now.

Wow. Jack Swagger does not fit in with Miz/Morrison.

Also, Punk's comment was awesome. "Luck's for losers. It says so on my arm."[/quote]

I've been calling it for months. Swagger is going to get locked up for being a rapist. That guy looks like a damn creep. Plus he's terrible in the ring, so they can lock him up for that too.

It doesn't make any sense why the guy got kicked out. Sure he flicked him off, but I mean...really? Does Batista have some sort of pull in the back where this can happen or does Vince want everyone to fall in line with the "WWE Universe" so those ECW matches don't happen again?

Watching the slammy awards, it just makes me realize how lame WWE was this year. Nothing exciting happened at all. There were very few *great* matches. Only highlight of the year was Jericho. Seeing the current roster is just sad. WWE has been in transition for so long. The have absolutely no one on the roster or coming up that could even come close to the levels of Austin, Rock, etc. The closest is Cena, but they dropped the ball on him years ago. No one on the roster even tries to put on good matches anymore. It's just the same boring matches and wrestlers. Man....

Good thing no one really discussed ECW. I didn't have to skip over any posts (I recorded it).

I just wanted to let everyone know I got Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 for the 360, so I'd like to play some of you guys.

I found the "Best of Jushin Liger" 2 disc DVD set Saucy Jack made for me a while back.. I was happy when I found the ECW ones, but this just makes it better! Hope he's doing okay, haven't heard from him in a while.

[quote name='Matt Young']Good thing no one really discussed ECW. I didn't have to skip over any posts (I recorded it).

I just wanted to let everyone know I got Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 for the 360, so I'd like to play some of you guys.[/QUOTE]
Long story short, I got mine back after selling it on Amazon. :)

[quote name='JJSP']That's more of an extracurricular for Dave, really. The tassels I understand (hey, gotta tie off somehow), but the facepaint I think is just 'cause he wants to feel pretty. ;)[/quote]

"Dave a pretty girl. Dave pretty girl." -- Batista, rabidly smearing lipstick across his mouth

:whistle2:#

Who knows, that fan who got kicked out may have been drunk and rowdy all night, pissing off the people in the seats around him and generally being an ass. For all we know he was the guy responsible for that weird chant during the Rey/Punk match (you distinctly heard ONE guy yelling "Miz and Morrison"). We're getting his version of the story, so he may have conveniently left out the part where he had seven beers. I mean I know WWE is protective of the brand image and all but I highly doubt you can get thrown out JUST for booing the faces.

On a different note... Jeff Hardy is now a "Grand Slam Champion," joining the elite company of Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Chris Jericho, and Rob Van Dam. These are the only five men to have held the WWE Championship, Intercontinental Championship, World Tag-Team Championship, and European Championship (Eddie Guererro and Kurt Angle also qualify, if you include the newer Smackdown Tag-Team belts).

Jeff's also one of very few guys to go from being a WWE jobber to being WWE Champion. Mick would be the other one, and...um...that might actually be the extent of the list, actually.

Some World of Sport shows -

Tally Ho Kaye vs. Young David (Davey Boy Smith) (5-10-80)
Big Daddy & Pete Ross vs. African Kruger & African Rand (2-2-80)
Bobby Barnes & Magnificent Maurice vs. Johnny & Peter Wilson (1-1-77)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/g11jir

Bert Royal, Vic Faulkner & Dynamite Kid vs. Tally Ho Kaye, Black Jack Mulligan (not the U.S. wrestler) & Kenny Hogan (12-18-76)
Johnny Saint vs. Steve Grey (2-2-80)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/60qm44

Ken Joyce vs. Johnny Saint (7-4-81)
Robby Baron vs. Mick McManus (1-1-77)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qp710s

Johnny Saint's technically-sound, fast-paced, deadpan comedy wrestling style amazes me more and more with every new match of his I see.

A fascinating rundown of a write-up by a former WWE creative team member against Jeff Hardy being made WWE Champion -
http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article1003929.shtml

While I don't quite agree with him about his origins in backyard wrestling automatically preventing him from being WWE Champion, he makes a great point about Roberts not winning the belt (or any title in WWE, for that matter), while Jeff gets it after two strikes, with a third meaning termination (although I don't recall the policy ever stating that anyone who failed three times would NEVER be able to get a job in WWE again).

One point about the Roberts issue is that he never held a belt in the company, and he wasn't usually pushed as a main eventer, so fans weren't dying to see him win the company's top prize. However, he was someone who was very over as an undercard act and would've been a fine IC Champion in the late '80s.

Last edited by a moderator:
His WWE return match against Birchill, which he worked while injured, and may be cut as a result. -
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4qzvTNDi8ss

It'll be a tough year for Tomko if he's hurt and gets cut - '08 started off so great for him, with it seeming like he was going to break through as a star for TNA, then he does one show in Japan, is in the doghouse as a result, leaves, and now might get cut by WWE leaving him with no real way to make a living at wrestling in the U.S.

Also, Kaz will be out for about six months.
http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/7801/

Another tough year for a talent, as he looked to be in for a huge push in '08, then they did the whole deal with him "leaving" TNA out of nowhere, which might've worked if anyone cared about him, and by the time he gets back, even if it's as Kaz, it'll be too long for people to remember that he was once almost a big deal in the company.

TNA was featured on Tru TV's "The World's Dumbest Fans" tonight for the Beer Money Inc. vs. LAX Fans' Revenge match. They mocked the fan-submitted clips, then mocked TNA for having scrawny fans attack the wrestlers. CCW alums Danny Bonaduce and Todd Bridges were used on this show, but didn't comment on the clip.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

blairflex.jpg

So how has the new TNA storyline with the Main Event whatever? Is it worth watching?

[quote name='mykevermin']Me either. But that's because 30 Rock is on for an hour tonight; TNA can suck it.[/quote]

One of my favorite quotes (but I think I'm paraphrasing slightly):

"I like a woman who has ambition. It's like seeing a dog wearing clothes."
-Jack Donaghy

[quote name='pitfallharry219']:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

blairflex.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I was eating ramen while scrolling and saw this crap.....I hate you

Themes -

Randy Orton's "Voices" by Rev Theory -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3v8ycw

Kurt Angle's "Lunatic Fringe" knock-off rap remix -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/va7x2x

"Take Over" - Christian Cage's first TNA theme -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/dgqc4h

Christian's "Just Close Your Eyes" WWE theme -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/f4hljo

"Just Close Your Eyes" album version -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/a492rq

Christian's "At Last You're On Your Own" theme (non-Bohemian Rhapsody knock-off) -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kzvcbk

The official Kurt Angle site ripped-version of Angle's rap theme -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/com5qi

Site-ripped version of Angle's first TNA theme (an awesome guitar-heavy knock-off of "Lunatic Fringe") -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/630j3g

John Morrison's "Aint No Make Believe" theme -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wr0h0r

[quote name='neocisco']One of my favorite quotes (but I think I'm paraphrasing slightly):

"I like a woman who has ambition. It's like seeing a dog wearing clothes."
-Jack Donaghy[/QUOTE]

So... when can I start talking about this season of Friday Night Lights that most of you who don't have DirecTV
or download
in this thread. ;)

I won't say much more other than.... far better than last season. Then again at least we are guaranteeded some resolution to this seasons storylines. Nor is there any lame ass murder storyline going on. Or having Eric getting jealous over Tammy flirting with her ex-boyfriend from her high school days. Jesus did last season have so many Wrestlecrap worthy moments to it.

Bringing things back to rasslin round here MyNetwork decided to run that Wrestlemania 24 special last night against TNA Impact. Guess they must be running short of original programming already. :lol:

[quote name='lmz00']Every time I see Matt Hardy on television, I can't help but think of Johnny Drama from Entourage.[/quote]

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed with bornrunnin31, we want wrestling.

btw, I hope Tomko doesn't get fired after just a fucking dark match.

[quote name='cdeener']Does Jeff Hardy remind any one else of Ultimate Warrior when he has that face paint on?[/quote]

No, because I can actually understand him when he speaks.

Jeff's paint seems to just be kind of slapped on while Warrior's could be pretty elaborate.

bread's done
Back