Feedback
6 (100%)
US Release Date: 10/7/08
MSRP: $19.99
Developer: Taito
Publisher: Square-Enix

Japanese Trailer/Gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPfAXGOJvrI

This game is definitely not for you unless you have a high tolerance for the old school difficulty and conventions of say, a Contra 4.
Some gameplay from the original for NES, in case you've forgotten
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E82F45F4_Y4

I think this game is going to disappoint a lot of people...old school is great, but this game just feels flat. To ignore games that came out after this (not necessarily new games...I mean like Shinobi) and not draw from them was a big mistake in my opinion.

I didn't think it was that hard, either, and I'm not that good at video games. The difficulty doesn't even compare to the original anyway.

Yeah I'm kinda skeptical. Seems like you'd need some big retrogoggles for this one. Very budget.

Maybe it'll drop to $10 or so after christmas.

Demon Sword is the good version of this game on NES.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zubqxJCyz8[/MEDIA]

So far so good.

- Basic fighting/mechanics are simple, but solid. You auto-gain new skills at the end of stages apparently.
- Stages are short, easy to play in quick bursts. Seems to have some score runner potential. You can run straight through and skip the vertical exploration but then you miss out on items.
- There are these colored orbs that you can get and make different skills by arranging them on this skill grid.
- Bosses are good so far, classic pattern exploitation.
- Enemy shurikens are a bit hard to see, remind me of enemy bullets in 1942.
- Hard difficulty isnt unlocked until you beat the game once
- Retry option is a little too forgiving. You dont have lives as far as I can tell.
- One of the guys at the beginning said "ke ke ke"? What the hell kind of localization is that?

Its definitely a very old type of game. So far not as hard as I hoped. Will retry when hard mode is unlocked.

I guess I'm the only one playing it :|

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I thought the reviews said it was supposed to be hardcore hard, but it doesn't seem like it to me. And I'm not usually very good with the retro hardcore hard games, like Contra 4 and whatnot.

I was wrong about the difficulty. The last couple of bosses are epic. Things get bizarre in the last stretch. If you beat normal, you get hard and boss rush mode. If you beat hard, you get extreme, so the challenge is definitely there.

I dont know if its because I didnt explore properly to get the life powerups or what, but I could only sustain about 3 hits from the last boss, it took about an hour for me to get that one right, with each run lasting 1-2 minutes.

First time playthrough: ~4 hours

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I was wrong about the difficulty. The last couple of bosses are epic. Things get bizarre in the last stretch. If you beat normal, you get hard and boss rush mode. If you beat hard, you get extreme, so the challenge is definitely there.

I dont know if its because I didnt explore properly to get the life powerups or what, but I could only sustain about 3 hits from the last boss, it took about an hour for me to get that one right, with each run lasting 1-2 minutes.

First time playthrough: ~4 hours[/QUOTE]

So... out of your roughly 4 hours of playtime... the last boss took up one hour of it? That is insanely short.

It took me about 3 hours to beat this game on normal difficulty. Overall, the difficulty isn't that hard. It gets harder as game goes on. The last few bosses were a bit difficult. But with a little practice and patient, there pretty easy to overcome.

bread's done
Back