The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

daroga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
Hey everyone,

Well, as shocking as it may sound, up to this point in my life I've never beaten a Zelda game. I think I own everyone that's been put out, but never sat down to beat any of them (I own the NES ones like 3 times over). When I got my cube late last year, I started on Wind Waker and really got into it. I'm not yet done with that one (busy with school) but in the mean time I started and have been tearing through Link's Awakening DX on the GBA. I owned the non-DX version for my GB way back when, but never finished it I'm sure.

What do you all think of LA? I'm having a blast with it and glad to finally be getting into the Zelda series (gearing up for TP's release later this year). My goal after LA (I just entered Level 8) is to hit up the original Zelda so I won't be a total spazz having never beaten that game, then move on to Link's Awakening, and the Oracle games. On the Cube I'm going to finish up WW and then move to OoT (can't wait to get into that one, despite having seen most of it played through already) and the MM.

Anyone else have a similar experiece with the Zelda series? I'm digging the fact that I can play so many of the console ones on the go now. And, I should be well into the GBA ones just in time to play them on my DS Lite! :whistle2:D

Pretty good for it's time, not as good as a Link to the Past, but pretty damn good for a portable, and a decent LoZ side story. It was the first zelda game I completed as well, I had played buy never owned the NES Zelda's up to that point. My username is actually in reference to Link's Awakening.

LA is one of the best zeldas...almost as good as LTTP and OoT (and although I didnt really like Oot, it is one of the good ones too)...I love the music the girl sings...its one of the catchier Zelda tunes.

Majors mask is such an amazing game, its so underrated its absurd. One of my favorote zelda games of all time and im sure youll enjoy it.

Link's Awakening is hands down my favorite Zelda ever. I remember being excited to play LttP for the first time when the GBA version came out, but was somewhat let down. I have not played through Majora's Mask yet, but I have a feeling I would like it a lot.

I've gotten pretty far into a lot of Zeldas and not beaten them also. I've beaten both quests in the original Zelda, and also Adventure of Link. I got pretty far into Link to the Past but didn't finish it. I think I got to the second Agahnim. Then in OoT I got to the Spirit Temple and sold my N64+games to my cousin. Then in Minish Cap I got all the way to the end and went collecting to match those little puzzle pieces. My SP died and I lost about 3 hours worth of collecting people's dumb pieces, so I never played it again. I have to say the first Zelda is still my favorite. I still remember the world map like the back of my hand.

I've never gotten very far in the NES original. A lot of the dungeons are in the most random of places (seriously, burning bushes?) and they didn't give you much in the way of guidance.

Link's Awaekening is one of my favorite entries into the series. A Link to the Past will always be my favorite (hell, just look at my handle on this board), but Link's Awakening is definitely one of my favorites, and my favorite portable one (the Oracle games were great, but for some reason I enjoyed Awakening better). I can remember sitting next a lamp all day when it first came out, stuck on one of the later dungeons...ah, they just don't make puzzles like they used to. :)

And yeah, Majora's Mask was certainly underappreciated. I enjoyed it a great deal, but most people I know didn't finish it. A shame, really.

[quote name='Vegan']I've never gotten very far in the NES original. A lot of the dungeons are in the most random of places (seriously, burning bushes?) and they didn't give you much in the way of guidance.[/QUOTE]

I hear you. It was only until recently that I completed the original Zelda. Like you said, a lot of that stuff is really obscure. I remember there is this one old man whose only purpose in the game is to live in a cave and state "When all else fails, use fire."

However, I did complete OOT the month it came out. Ditto LTTP. Right now i'm working on Minish cap.

Oddly enough, within the last year I found some good deals on most of the gameboy zeldas.

I got Oracle of ages for 20 (no taxes, sealed)

Oracle of seasons (complete part of a GBC lot on ebay)

Link's Awakening DX (ditto)

LTTP GBA 9.99 (BB)

Minish Cap 18.00 (GR Complete)

LOZ NES Classic GBA 9.99 New

Wow, I guess I'm a big fan of Zelda. I never noticed. Hmmm, now that I think about it, I even have a Zelda ringtone.

I've only ever beaten OoT. I love the Legend of Zelda series, but I think I've only ever owned three Zelda games (Link's Awakening, OoT, and Wind Waker). Shame on me.

[quote name='Vegan']Those were the days when a subscription to Nintendo Power was practically required to beat certain games.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, that was also the time in which lots of gaming magazines would do whatever they could to give you at least a 60 to 75% walkthrough of the game, in some cases 100% (ie: Phantasy Star II, across two issues in early EGM). Amazing. I really, really miss those days.

I've played all of them and beat 4 out of 5 of the ones I think are good (FSA, LA, LttP, OoT, haven't beat TMC yet). LA is my third favorite, after FSA & LttP.

marin.jpg

Links Awakening was probably the first game I played for crazy long hours for many many many days when the only console I ever owned was a GameBoy. Man... now you got me wanting that game all over again! Personaly I think it's the best Zelda. Good puzzles, good story, good mingames, good layout, good everything. Plus, the bosses were fun:

zelgb_p1.jpg

I've owned every Zelda except for Minish Cap, the Oracle ones, and the horrendous CD-i ones...so I'm hardcore...I wish I could have gotten Minish cap for 10-20 bucks either on sale or with the BB coupon, but I never got around to it, and the people who got it at Sears for cheap never responded to my PMs, so that one I may never play.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']I've owned every Zelda except for Minish Cap, the Oracle ones, and the horrendous CD-i ones...so I'm hardcore...I wish I could have gotten Minish cap for 10-20 bucks either on sale or with the BB coupon, but I never got around to it, and the people who got it at Sears for cheap never responded to my PMs, so that one I may never play.[/QUOTE]

some people are saying that the $10 off $30 BB coupon is still in effect til the end of this month. since it has an expiration date of jan, this is YMMV. my last pickup w/ this coupon was minish cap.

as for link's awakening, above all else, i remember the music...it was freakin awesome. hands down this was the best title available for the gameboy...like rolento, personally my fav zelda to date...

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']I've owned every Zelda except for Minish Cap, the Oracle ones, and the horrendous CD-i ones...so I'm hardcore...I wish I could have gotten Minish cap for 10-20 bucks either on sale or with the BB coupon, but I never got around to it, and the people who got it at Sears for cheap never responded to my PMs, so that one I may never play.[/QUOTE]

Paying full price will not let you down. It is on par with LttP as being one of the best Zeldas. I had Link's Awakening, but I don't remember where it went. I think I beat it though. I have finished LoZ1, LttP, MC, WW, OoT and that is it I believe...I can't think of any others that I have owned or played. Oh I never beat Zelda II and MM. Couldn't get into MM and Zelda II is freaking hard!

[quote name='Vegan']I've never gotten very far in the NES original. A lot of the dungeons are in the most random of places (seriously, burning bushes?) and they didn't give you much in the way of guidance.[/QUOTE]

One of the most important things to know about NES Legend of Zelda is that every single screen has a doorway on it somewhere. The only exceptions are in the graveyard.

I recently played Link's Awakening and almost completed it. I got to the point where I was to go to dungeon 8 and decided to not continue. It is extremely linear, even for a Zelda game. It is also very easy and you are hand-held the whole time. Towards the end I wondered why I was spending time playing an easy-mode, low resolution, black and white Link to the Past.

Links Awakening is such an awesome game. It was my first zelda expirence, well the GBC re-release (I never played the nes versions or lttp until they were re-released on the GBA). Now, I have played and bet every zelda (well the GBA remakes, for the nes ones and ALTTP) except for four swords (don't own), Oracle of ages (don't own) and the 2nd one for nes (too lazy and too hard). Oh and Majoras Mask is a great game, except I got annoyed by the whole time thing, that killed it from being perfect for me.

I think its a great game. I beat it last year for the first time. I owned the Gameboy version and the Color version. I've probably owned the game a total of 4 different times. I played it to a certain point and stopped....I'm not sure why.

Anyway I grabbed a complete DX copy on Ebay and with the SP played through the game. It's a great game but the GBC games in general feel a bit dated to me. Definitely worth a play through though. I just re-sold my copy on Ebay. Not something I would normally do especially with a Zelda game but having started and stopped it so many times and finally finishing it I was glad to close that chapter.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Majors mask is such an amazing game, its so underrated its absurd. One of my favorote zelda games of all time and im sure youll enjoy it.[/QUOTE]
I always wanted to finish MM. I was just getting into it when my N64 got lost and never touched it again. Hopefully it will be downloadable on Revo.

[quote name='Kendal'] Couldn't get into MM and Zelda II is freaking hard![/QUOTE]
I know what you mean, I haven't been able to beat AoL to this day and I first played it when it came out on the NES.

[quote name='Jarrett']I always wanted to finish MM. I was just getting into it when my N64 got lost and never touched it again. Hopefully it will be downloadable on Revo.[/QUOTE]

Just go pick up an N64 for 20 bucks. At that price, it's worth it just to have it!

[quote name='Vegan']Just go pick up an N64 for 20 bucks. At that price, it's worth it just to have it![/QUOTE]
Since I don't have any of the games (I gave them to my nephew) it really wouldn't be worth it for one game.

I have heard from many of my friends that they think this is the best Zelda game. Followed by A Link to the Past.

Link to the Past is better...the dual-worlds were done there first, and done better than in OoT IMO, and while LA does have a good story, music, gameplay, etc...LTTP is much more epic and on a much larger scale, I feel.

LA is LttP jr. It was made so that people could enjoy a portable version of Zelda III.

Both are great, but do yourself a favor, and get a GBA adaptor or an SNES and enjoy the best Zelda game of all time.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']LA is LttP jr. It was made so that people could enjoy a portable version of Zelda III.

Both are great, but do yourself a favor, and get a GBA adaptor or an SNES and enjoy the best Zelda game of all time.[/QUOTE]
I've got LttP on both the GBA and SNES. It's next on my list after the original. :)

Well, finished the original one tonight (only 2 days! Woot! ;) ). Off to A Link to the Past for my handheld Zelda... really have to sit down and put some more time in with Wind Waker. I'm a good bit in, but just haven't found the time to play it recently.

bread's done
Back