The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

[quote name='nonggame']Just finish this game and all I can say is "This game is a must have for any DS owner". The bosses fight are awesome, the puzzles are fun, the control is superb. I have to give this game 10 our of 10........ ^___^ If anyone need help on some of the puzzle, you can PM me I'll get back to you as soon as I can..[/quote]

Is this game kind of easy to just pick up and play? I really wanna play it for the action and stuff.. story I can read translated somewhere or something but if it's really good and easy to navigate, I think I'll import it.

[quote name='tiredfornow']Is this game kind of easy to just pick up and play? I really wanna play it for the action and stuff.. story I can read translated somewhere or something but if it's really good and easy to navigate, I think I'll import it.[/QUOTE]
I have to say most of it, maybe 80% of the game are easy to understand but some of the puzzle if you don't know Japanese then you're fuck but I'm here to help ^___^

[quote name='nonggame']I have to say most of it, maybe 80% of the game are easy to understand but some of the puzzle if you don't know Japanese then you're fuck but I'm here to help ^___^[/quote]

but as far as the story goes, is it kinda told with the visuals? or just A LOT of text? that'd be cool if you could help me when I got stuck, just so I wont feel like a complete moron :p

I'm so like lost at moment , being their was a huge text heavy part right now & I aint got know clue on which way to head.

Oh man, that video makes me really not want to even bother with this game. I can't believe Nintendo chose stylus control. When the guy's playing his hand covers up msot of the screen, it just doesn't work for an action game. They should have had regular tried and true Zelda control with some stylus puzzles thrown in, and map drawing. I really don't want to hold a pen the whole time to move, and tap to attack.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Oh man, that video makes me really not want to even bother with this game. I can't believe Nintendo chose stylus control. When the guy's playing his hand covers up msot of the screen, it just doesn't work for an action game. They should have had regular tried and true Zelda control with some stylus puzzles thrown in, and map drawing. I really don't want to hold a pen the whole time to move, and tap to attack.[/quote]
Do yourself a favor and instead of just watching the video, read the numerous comments in this thread and elsewhere that point out that the stylus control is supposedly perfectly implemented and joy to use.

[quote name='Tybee']Do yourself a favor and instead of just watching the video, read the numerous comments in this thread and elsewhere that point out that the stylus control is supposedly perfectly implicated and joy to use.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm glad that some people enjoy it, but I know for me personally it's not what I like. I don't think it would have been too hard for Nintendo to have the option of stylus control, and d-pad/face button control. I played Animal Crossing with the stylus, and yeah it worked, but after five minutes it was like okay this is kind of lame, and I went back to the d-pad.

I definitely wouldn't play this if you can't read japanese...you'll spoil lots of the game!!! :eek: Umm but for those who HAVE beat it already, how long was it???

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Oh man, that video makes me really not want to even bother with this game. I can't believe Nintendo chose stylus control. When the guy's playing his hand covers up msot of the screen, it just doesn't work for an action game. They should have had regular tried and true Zelda control with some stylus puzzles thrown in, and map drawing. I really don't want to hold a pen the whole time to move, and tap to attack.[/quote]
Maybe you ought to try it before giving up on it? Everyone that's played the game has agreed that the controls are indeed perfect.

Isn't this the reason ou bought the DS in the first place? You're not at all glad when you see an incredibly well-implemented use of the touch screen in a game?

[quote name='spiwak']Maybe you ought to try it before giving up on it? Everyone that's played the game has agreed that the controls are indeed perfect.

Isn't this the reason ou bought the DS in the first place? You're not at all glad when you see an incredibly well-implemented use of the touch screen in a game?[/QUOTE]

Oh, there is no way I'm not trying it. Actually, I'm 100% sure I'll buy myself and my girlfriend a copy... Zelda is my all-time favorite franchise next to Super Mario, and Elder Scrolls. It's just that I'm really picky when it comes to Zelda, and after what I considered to be horrible game in Twilight Princess I'm weary about Nintendo's ability to make a decent Zelda game anymore.

Just saw some pics from the new IGN hands-on and I have to say the graphics look like they were drawn by a 5 year old kid.

The gameplay must be much better than the graphics. I wish they would go back to the original N64 zelda graphics. Windwalker zelda and now ds zelda make Link look like crap.

Well, I've put about ten hours into the game, and I can easily say it's a must buy, but my original feelings still stand, I long to play the game with classic Zelda controls. I get tired of holding the stylus, plus my hand keeps hitting the buttons, which brings up menus. Also, in the lower left hand corner there is a tab that brings up an item menu/map screen, and if there is an enemy in that part of the screen you're tryign to kill, you'll end up bringing up a menu, and getting hit.

There is an insane amount of dialogue. I don't know what it is with Nintendo lately, but they seem to be padding their games with a massive amount of useless talk that could easily be trimmed down. The boomerang works very nice, and plotting your course at sea is neat and works well because your can attack while your ship continues on. In Wind Waker you had to take down the sail to attack, which was annoying.

[quote name='Swingman']Just saw some pics from the new IGN hands-on and I have to say the graphics look like they were drawn by a 5 year old kid.

The gameplay must be much better than the graphics. I wish they would go back to the original N64 zelda graphics. Windwalker zelda and now ds zelda make Link look like crap.[/quote]
I knew there was a ton of backlash when Wind Waker was announced but I figured most of them grew to love that design. Wind Waker is one of the most artistic games I have ever played.

[quote name='Swingman'] I wish they would go back to the original N64 zelda graphics. [/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, you don't think the N64 Zelda was the first one do you? You say "original," like there wasn't a bunch of 2D games before it. I consider the "original" graphics to be 2D overhead, which this game pretty much is except it's in the style of Wind Waker.

I say original N64 to mean the first of the N64 games. I think both n64 games had the good zelda but didn't play the 2nd one.

I know it wasn't the first zelda game. I played the original one on NES and even bought it on GBA as well. I think the N64 games though had the best graphics for zelda.

[quote name='Foolman']I knew there was a ton of backlash when Wind Waker was announced but I figured most of them grew to love that design. Wind Waker is one of the most artistic games I have ever played.[/QUOTE]

Never played it but at least the Wind Walker's graphics helped me hold strong against buying another console.

[quote name='Swingman']Never played it but at least the Wind Walker's graphics helped me hold strong against buying another console.[/quote]you missed out on one of the most fluid, artistic and well animated games to ever grace any system

Yeah, Wind Waker is quite the brilliant game and probably my favorite Zelda before A Link to the Past.

Not playing it based on the art style is, well quite asinine to put it bluntly.

ill never understand the wind waker hate, i loved the game, the gameplay was tight and its one of the most stylish games to grace the gamecube.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']and after what I considered to be horrible game in Twilight Princess I'm weary about Nintendo's ability to make a decent Zelda game anymore.[/quote]

i thought TP was fan-fucking-tastic, whats your beef.

Dated! October 1.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=12678

Legendary Franchise Goes Portable Oct. 1

REDMOND, Wash., July 2, 2007 – What do you get when you combine the world's best-selling video game system, the Nintendo DS™, with one of Nintendo's best-loved franchises, Zelda? An epic new adventure that satisfies longtime fans but draws in new players with intuitive touch-screen controls. Launching Oct. 1, The Legend of Zelda®: Phantom Hourglass, complete with crisp 3-D cartoon graphics and multiplayer battles over Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection, marks the debut of the franchise on Nintendo DS™.

Oh, and:
As a special bonus for Nintendo's rewards club, My Nintendo members who register the game and their Nintendo DS hardware at MyNintendo.com and fill out a short survey will receive a special Nintendo DS stylus that looks like an old-fashioned quill pen, modeled after an item in the game (subject to availability).
Guess I'll be paying off my preorder after all. Now I just need a DS Lite to use the stylus with. Unless they give me a Phat stylus since that's what I have registered.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, Wind Waker is quite the brilliant game and probably my favorite Zelda before A Link to the Past.

Not playing it based on the art style is, well quite asinine to put it bluntly.[/QUOTE]

To each their own but graphic style matters to me.

Would you enjoy a Barney (the big gay dinosaur) game even if it was awesome gameplay?

Ok maybe you would ;)

[quote name='maigoyume']you missed out on one of the most fluid, artistic and well animated games to ever grace any system[/QUOTE]

artistic? maybe i'd rather have something a little less "artistic" It could have been a great game but I don't buy many games (don't have the money or the time) so I'm picky about what I buy. I'm not going to buy a game if the graphics are going to bug me.

Guess I should register my DS then. The only thing I've registered with mynintendo is Kirby CC to get the pink stylus.

[quote name='Swingman']artistic? maybe i'd rather have something a little less "artistic" It could have been a great game but I don't buy many games (don't have the money or the time) so I'm picky about what I buy. I'm not going to buy a game if the graphics are going to bug me.[/quote]fair enough, IMO thats a bit like judging a book by its cover, but to each their own

[quote name='maigoyume']fair enough, IMO thats a bit like judging a book by its cover, but to each their own[/QUOTE]

True but books can be had for free at the library while I would have had to spend about $130-140 to play Wind Walker (don't have a gamecube).

If a book has a bad cover, then you only see it when before you open it while in a game, you have to see the graphics the whole time.

I think there are a few keys to making a good game

In order of importance to me..

1) Gameplay
2) Longevity (how long will it be fun?)
3) Graphics

I'm sure zelda was great in the first 2 categories but I can't judge that without playing it myself. I think I'd find better value in buying a game that's on a console that I already own and might match the 3 categories better.

Anyway, I find game searching a lot like lady searching.

You choose by looks, you retain by personality.

[quote name='Swingman']To each their own but graphic style matters to me.

Would you enjoy a Barney (the big gay dinosaur) game even if it was awesome gameplay?

Ok maybe you would ;)[/quote]
That's fine, but I still think it's asinine.

Sure, if it's actually a good game. I'm not going to dismiss something based on whether I don't agree with the art syle, or if something in it is not "cool" enough.

Would you enjoy a game where you stick inanimate objects into a little boy's mouth as long as the graphics were to your liking?

"Ok maybe you would;)"

I don't get this arguement. Wind Waker was a great game, one of the best Zeldas ever as far as I'm concerned. And the graphics stopping someone from playing it? WW has by far the best graphics of any of the Zelda titles ever. The game definitely has flaws, but the look of the game is definitely not one of them.

I can understand where Swingman is coming from. You guys have to remember, he says he doesn't have a Gamecube, so he'd have to acquire a Gamecube and Wind Waker to play it, which is a high price if he is already turned off by the game based on its graphic style. Personally, I really enjoyed Wind Waker and I would say it is a great game. Is it worth the price of the Gamecube by itself? Probably not, in my opinion. However, there are tons of excellent Gamecube games on top of Wind Waker which would justify the purchase of a Gamecube (or Wii, for that matter).

[quote name='yukine']That's fine, but I still think it's asinine.

Sure, if it's actually a good game. I'm not going to dismiss something based on whether I don't agree with the art syle, or if something in it is not "cool" enough.

Would you enjoy a game where you stick inanimate objects into a little boy's mouth as long as the graphics were to your liking?

"Ok maybe you would;)"[/QUOTE]

That's pretty sick but I don't see how the gameplay would be anything but piss poor, even with good graphics.

I'm sorry I said something negative about a game you love but the weird graphic style isn't for everyone, or at least not me.

I'll probably get a Wii. If I find a used Wind Walker on the cheap, then I'll try it since I like the zelda series. I just wish they'd go back to the older graphic style though (as i've already said).

[quote name='Rocko']Good lord, the name of the game is Wind Waker.

Say it with me, Swingman, Wind Waker.[/QUOTE]

I guess the graphics were so bad that it looked like there was an "l" in there vbg

What's a wind waker? Someone breaks wind and you waker up? :p Walker makes more sense to me :)

[quote name='Swingman']I guess the graphics were so bad that it looked like there was an "l" in there vbg

What's a wind waker? Someone breaks wind and you waker up? :p Walker makes more sense to me :)[/quote]

Surely you aren't serious.

I can understand not liking the Wind Waker graphics (wait, no, no I can't. But I'll accept that), but saying they're 'bad'?

[quote name='Swingman']I guess the graphics were so bad that it looked like there was an "l" in there vbg

What's a wind waker? Someone breaks wind and you waker up? :p Walker makes more sense to me :)[/QUOTE]

Windwaker has some of the best graphics for last gen systems, how in the world are they bad?

[quote name='Swingman']That's pretty sick but I don't see how the gameplay would be anything but piss poor, even with good graphics.

I'm sorry I said something negative about a game you love but the weird graphic style isn't for everyone, or at least not me.

I'll probably get a Wii. If I find a used Wind Walker on the cheap, then I'll try it since I like the zelda series. I just wish they'd go back to the older graphic style though (as i've already said).[/quote]
Haha, I was just trying to return your smartass comment.

Hey, that's your opinion. I just think the reason for not wanting to play it is silly, but people differ in what they prefer (mad rhymez intentional.)

I just know that I wouldn't look at a games art style and completely dismiss it, even if there are little pink fairies and other fruity things in it. I'll still give it a shot if it's a good game.

[quote name='yukine']Haha, I was just trying to return your smartass comment.

Hey, that's your opinion. I just think the reason for not wanting to play it is silly, but people differ in what they prefer (mad rhymez intentional.)

I just know that I wouldn't look at a games art style and completely dismiss it, even if there are little pink fairies and other fruity things in it. I'll still give it a shot if it's a good game.[/QUOTE]

I know. It was a funny comeback.

I don't play games much any more. I never got a gamecube because I have so many good games that I haven't even had a chance to play. I love the zelda series but not the new graphics style. Since I don't have much time to enjoy games and don't have a bottomless wallet, I am very picky about what I buy.

[quote name='yukine']Windwaker has some of the best graphics for last gen systems, how in the world are they bad?[/QUOTE]

I was joking since I don't like it. They probably aren't technically bad.

[quote name='yukine']Hey, that's your opinion. I just think the reason for not wanting to play it is silly, but people differ in what they prefer (mad rhymez intentional.)[/quote]

People differ
In what they sell as reefer.
I took yer rhymez
and made them all minez.

You've just been served.

Seen this one, yet?

PHcover-thumb.jpg

NOT CONFIRMED AS FINAL, but sweet nonetheless.

Wow, people are still complaining about Wind Waker's style?

For the record, I'd exchange my copy of Twilight Princess for one with WW's style in heartbeat. Not that TP was nasty or ugly or anything, but WW was just so goregous I'd love to have another big-screen game in that style. Easily the prettiest game last generation and up to this point in this generation.

[quote name='daroga']Easily the prettiest game last generation and up to this point in this generation.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree. People hated the sailing part, but I thought that was extremely beautiful graphically.

[quote name='MarioColbert']People differ
In what they sell as reefer.
I took yer rhymez
and made them all minez.

You've just been served.
[/quote]

Damn... ur ryhmez are ill son!

[quote name='pete5883']I think this box art is not good. If they color the ship...now we're talkin.[/quote]i quite like the boxart, its similar to the original windwaker

bread's done
Back