The LinkinPrime and "Well Dunn" Wrestling Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from Backlash down in Baltimore. I thought it was a meh show. I enjoyed Hardy v MVP, and the Fatal 4-Way as well as the dark match.

I would say the biggest pops were:
-HHH
-Taker
-Foley

Most Heat
-Cena (even kids in my sections were hating on him)
-Orton
-Khali
-Batista (don't know if it was shown but after the match the crowd really turned on him)

I think my friends and myself had more fun watching the girls with low cut shirts walk underneath the entrance to section we were sitting in. By the end of the night, the other group of guys next to us were doing the same thing. It was funny to see 7 guys leaning forward in unison to get a better view every time.

[quote name='Sporadic']OH MY GOD YOU ARE INSANE MYKE INSANE!!!! HOW DARE YOU SPOIL THE MAIN EVENT?!?![/QUOTE]
Triple H spoiled the main event.

[quote name='007']Bingo. That's the only reason I'm remotely interested in this title change. I think it was a mistake to put it back on HHH, but if it means we get to be rid of that damn spinner belt, it's completely worth it.[/QUOTE]

I second that. I miss the belt design before Cena changed it to a more hip look. However, I am not sure why Edge kept the spinner look when he was WWE champ in 06. I thought the spinner belt was custom for Cena, just like when Austin has that "Smoking Skull" belt when he was champ.

[quote name='cdubb1605']triple h on the other hand is a booker who can literally run through anyone he wants.
[/QUOTE]

Triple H is not a booker.

I think it's fine that Trips won the title, even though I was rooting for Orton. The entire show just had a "meh" feel to it for me, though. They started out with the best match of the night, I think. The main event was sort of pointless in having four guys, but the 1-on-1 was good and pretty entertaining.

2 things:

1. Trips might be planing to take time off this june for the birth of the new baby. So this might not last.

2. Remember the rumors that H and Regal might have a program? Who just got a push by winning KOTR? :) That's what I hope anyway.

[quote name='Matt Young']Triple H is not a booker.[/quote]

i'm assuming he meant more of a quote-unquote booker, given he's boffing the bosses daughter. i know he still has to lobby for storylines, but i can't imagine he has to lobby that hard.

So I take it we're back to Triple H burying people? Wee!

[quote name='007']Bingo. That's the only reason I'm remotely interested in this title change. I think it was a mistake to put it back on HHH, but if it means we get to be rid of that damn spinner belt, it's completely worth it.[/quote]

Amen. God damn it, amen.

Sure, the Spinner appeals to a certain demographic, but, by god, it's one ugly, cheesy-looking title. They should have just encrusted it in rubies and forced the World Heavyweight champion to wear matching red heels. It's the exact same ridiculousness.

Melt it down, and start over, WWE. Or, better yet, return to us the glorious winged eagle World title. Nostalgia is still "hot" with the kids, right?

[quote name='mykevermin']What happened that the crowd turned on Batista?[/QUOTE]

Towards the end of the match it looked like Batista dropped Michaels and he injured his knee. After the match, Michaels was limping pretty bad. Jericho and 2-3 other refs came down to assist. As Batista was leaving the ring and walking up the ramp the crowd just booed the hell out of him.

I see, midnite. Thanks - it seemed, what little I saw of the HBK/Batista buildup (I really only follow Raw anymore) that they were trying to make Batista the heel here. Quite unsurprising that his dunderheaded ass would injure HBK in the single place he least needs it.

[quote name='Sporadic']Really, and he hasn't had a real title run since April 2005.[/QUOTE]

I thought it had been a number of years. Sure, his "Chris Jericho run" last year at whatever PPV happened after Cena injured himself counts officially, but had no meaning or impact.

So, I'll be patient with him - but I'm pretty confident that his 2000-2005 title runs will feel like they happened yesterday within 3-4 weeks.

Why do I have a feeling WWE will finally listen to the fans and turn Batista heel. Then only to stick him in feud with Taker for the title? Just something I'm wondering about, since I thought Edge would win last night due to very few heels to get feud with a face world champion(at least on SD). Although I guess they could always have CM Punk cash in the MITB contract.

As for Raw, I really didn't care if it was Triple H or JBL. I just didn't want to see Orton or Cena win the match.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']2 things:

1. Trips might be planing to take time off this june for the birth of the new baby. So this might not last.

2. Remember the rumors that H and Regal might have a program? Who just got a push by winning KOTR? :) That's what I hope anyway.[/quote]

as for a triple h v. regal fued. i just kinda see it going the same way that the HHH/king booker fued went last year.

this could just be me voicing my hatred for triple h as champion, but orton winning at mania then going off on that whole "age of orton" thing just feels cheapened now to have him only lose the title 4 weeks later.

What does it say about me as a wrestling fan when I don't like any of these guys: JBL, Cena, Triple H, or Randy Orton. Have I simply lost touch or what..

[quote name='PhrostByte']What does it say about me as a wrestling fan when I don't like any of these guys: JBL, Cena, Triple H, or Randy Orton. Have I simply lost touch or what..[/quote]

i'd lean more towards, the "ready for something new" attitude as opposed to losing touch.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Orton wasn't drawing. The end.[/QUOTE]

Based on what? The WWE's number haven't really gone dramatically up or down in over half a decade, so it's silly to pin it on Orton.

I really liked HBK/Batista. Some of that arm work by HBK was incredible... that cross armbar hanging over the top rope; the crossface floating over into a pin when Batista got close to the ropes, then floating back over into another crossface in the middle of the ring. I'm worried about his knee though... the commentary never even hinted at a "playing possum" angle and it didn't really play into the storyline at all, so I'm wondering if it's legit. Also it's kinda weird that Jericho didn't do anything noteworthy as the ref, but then I'm glad that we just got a straight-up match with no shenanigans.

I completely forgot about those two. Can't believe they were on the payroll this long. Guess they never had anything for Balls after that mini-feud with the Miz.

Hopefully Mike Knox will be next. Also expect Kevin Fertig to be released too, he's been floating around FCW and really isn't doing anything after ditching the Kevin Thorn gimmick.

[quote name='cdubb1605']this could just be me voicing my hatred for triple h as champion, but orton winning at mania then going off on that whole "age of orton" thing just feels cheapened now to have him only lose the title 4 weeks later.[/quote]

I agree. Orton was finally starting to grow on me as champ, and that "Age of Orton" promo gave me hope that he'd have a measure of longevity as champ. I wouldn't have minded if he'd held the belt until at least Summerslam.

WWE really needs to start building up some more main eventers. I'm sick of seeing the same seven guys (HHH/Cena/JBL/Orton/Taker/Edge/Batista) in every PPV main event.

[quote name='Halo05']Well Jeff Hardy would've made it 8 but he loves that... weed, meth, etc.[/quote]

Yeah I left him off intentionally because I fully expect him to be jobbing to Super Crazy and Colin Delaney when he gets off of suspension.

I agree. Orton was finally starting to grow on me as champ, and that "Age of Orton" promo gave me hope that he'd have a measure of longevity as champ. I wouldn't have minded if he'd held the belt until at least Summerslam.

that was my thought exactly, and i'd had that talk with quite a few people. apparently vince didnt agree with the train of thought.

so there is now talk of moving coachman back to raw as the GM, id prefer teddy long since he currently just plays the role of bitch to vickie.

[quote name='cdubb1605']so there is now talk of moving coachman back to raw as the GM, id prefer teddy long since he currently just plays the role of bitch to vickie.[/quote]

Ric Flair seems to have some free time nowadays. Maybe they should give him a call.

Roddy Piper is expected to return at tonight's Raw event according to PWI Insider. Wonder if that's got anything to do with Regal wanting to wrestle more.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I'm sick of seeing the same seven guys (HHH/Cena/JBL/Orton/Taker/Edge/Batista) in every PPV main event.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious to see how true this is, so I'm going to look back through WWE's 2007 PPV main events (either the last match on the card, or both heavyweight title matches).

Armageddon: Edge v. Batista v. Undertaker, Chris Jericho v. Randy Orton
Survivor Series: Batista v. Undertaker, HBK v. Orton
Cyber Sunday: Batista v. Undertaker, HBK v. Orton (no shit? two main events repeated in two successive PPVs?)
No Mercy (this one's a mess, BTW): HHH v. Orton, HHH v. Umaga, HHH v. Orton, Batista v. Khali
Unforgiven: Batista v. Undertaker v. Mysterio, Orton v. Cena
SummerSlam: Batista v. Khali, Orton v. Cena
Great American Bash: Khali v. Kane v. Batista, Cena v. Lashley
Vengeance: Edge v. Batista, Cena v. Foley v. Booker v. Orton v. Lashley
One Night Stand: Edge v. Batista, Cena v. Khali
Judgment Day: Edge v. Batista, Cena v. Khali (AGAIN with the reruns!?!?!)
Backlash: Undertaker v. Batista, Cena v. HBK v. Edge v. Orton
WM23: Undertaker v. Batista, Cena v. HBK
No Way Out: Cena and HBK v. Batista and Undertaker
Royal Rumble: Cena v. Umaga, Batista v. Mr. Kennedy
New Year's Revolution: Cena v. Umaga (all-Raw PPV; last single brand show?)\

DUDE. Not only are you totally right, but take a look.

BATISTA IS IN EVERY TITLE MATCH/MAIN EVENT AT EVERY PPV IN 2007

If that doesn't tell you how "creative" "creative" is, then I don't know. One thing's for sure: there's far less HHH then you would expect (and far too much of the guys you mentioned plus Khali - if you aren't on the guest list, there are maybe 3-4 guys that get one shot at the title in a meaningless PPV (NYR?) and with hardly any buildup at all, and dropped the next day. Somehow, Kennedy gets one shot, loses, and that's it. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Batista can't NOT be in the main event. Jesus. I ought to never buy a PPV until Batista retires on principle alone.

[quote name='mykevermin']I ought to never buy a PPV until Batista retires on principle alone.[/QUOTE]

Or someone throws an banana peel in front of him during his entrance causing him to slip and fall. His body will crack and break apart upon impact with the floor into millions of little pieces. ;)

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Ric Flair seems to have some free time nowadays. Maybe they should give him a call.[/quote]

that would be fucking sweet, i but i dont wanna hold my breath for that...

also....

-- According to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, former WWE Champion Randy Orton had yet another "incident" during WWE's most recent European tour. Orton was reportedy upset that the hotel staff woke him up earlier than they were supposed to. Orton put his clothes on, took his left over room service food, went down the hall and threw the food on the staff that woke him up. Orton laughed at them and went back to his room.

i SWEAR TO GOD this is not the same randy orton i met/traded shirts with last summer, the guy i met was friendly, with an awesome sense of humor. guess i caught him on a good night as most people seem to have less than happy experiences with young randy.

Flair as GM you say? I wouldn't mind that under two conditions:

1) It doesn't happen for awhile. His retirement is still fresh in people's minds, and to bring him back so soon would tarnish the incredible send-off they gave him.

2) He not become an active wrestler again, even if for "one night only". He ended his career on a high note with an incredible match. He's got nothing left to prove in the ring. Very few wrestlers get the chance to retire with grace, and I wanna see Flair, being the legend that he is, be one of them.

Wasn't Flair GM of Raw when they first did the brand split?
Actually, now that I think of it, I think he was the "owner" of Raw, while Vince owned Smackdown. He formed a consortium that purchased shares of WWE from Shane & Stephanie, or something along those lines.
Right, and then they panicked when Austin left and did the storyline where Vince regained full ownership of WWE, but appointed General Managers to oversee the two shows. And then that's where Bischoff came into the picture, if I'm remembering correctly.

Flair as the authority figure on Raw is still a good idea though! Six years is way longer than the typical "expiration date" on angles anyway.

[quote name='Halo05']Well Jeff Hardy would've made it 8 but he loves that... weed, meth, etc.[/quote]

Also loved by Jeff Hardy? Burning down double-wides, being a hobo, taking neon fluorescent paint baths... You know, the golden oldies.

[quote name='cdubb1605']that would be fucking sweet, i but i dont wanna hold my breath for that...

also....

i SWEAR TO GOD this is not the same randy orton i met/traded shirts with last summer, the guy i met was friendly, with an awesome sense of humor. guess i caught him on a good night as most people seem to have less than happy experiences with young randy.[/quote]

Eh, people have many faces.

Considering the sheer volume and former frequency of incidents, I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. Wasn't he once suspended for his behavior? He really needs to grow up, stop sucking and looking like a goblin.

Err, wait, I crossed beams.

[quote name='chasemurata']So I take it we're back to Triple H burying people? Wee!

Amen. God damn it, amen.

Sure, the Spinner appeals to a certain demographic, but, by god, it's one ugly, cheesy-looking title. They should have just encrusted it in rubies and forced the World Heavyweight champion to wear matching red heels. It's the exact same ridiculousness.

Melt it down, and start over, WWE. Or, better yet, return to us the glorious winged eagle World title. Nostalgia is still "hot" with the kids, right?[/quote]

What's up with your signature? The alternating GIF thing?

[quote name='PhrostByte']What's up with your signature? The alternating GIF thing?[/quote]

I made it in tribute of us CAG gamers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Backlash Thoughts -

I thought Hardy-MVP was good, but lackluster for a blowoff, so hopefully they keep this thing going a little bit longer. I don't think the heat for the feud really got back to its pre-Matt injury levels, which is one reason I was hoping they'd wait until JD to do the win, and also have it on the one year anniversary (well, PPV-to-PPV anyway) of MVP's title win.

Khali-Show was better than I was expecting (my expectations were at Kane-Big Show KOTR '99 10-minute choke spot-levels before). Khali busting out the crossface was hilarious, and Show bumping for Khali made the match enjoyable.

The best part of Kane-Chavo was Tazz busting on Adamle, who is easily the most sympathetic character on ECW.

HBK-Batista was very good - I loved that the ending could work as either sympathy for Shawn, or Shawn showing his old colors and doing whatever it takes to win a wrestling match. Jericho was excellent as the ref, and didn't hinder the match at all, which is what I feared would happen. Given that Michaels cost Batista the world title match on SD, I was certain that Batista would win here; it seems odd to have HBK win this, but it could make sense depending on where they go with this story. If it's the only HBK-Batista match that ends up happening, then the wrong man went over.

The women's match got over the term fisherwoman suplex.

The world title match was fantastic, with Foley adding excellent insight due to his experience with 'Taker, then stating that while 'Taker was deadly then, he's more deadly now because of his game has evolved. Mick did an excellent job of getting across what the wrestlers' bodies and minds are supposed to being through in the match, and added a layer of psychology to the match as a result. Mick also did an excellent job of furthering the idea of the gogoplata being a death hold, and the stretcher job at the end, complete with Vickie being in hysterics over it, did a good job of establishing that. They really need to name the move though, as it's harder for fans to get behind a move that lacks a name, and is just given a generic moniker of "THAT DEVASTATING SUBMISSION!".

The WWE Title match started off fine with all four guys, but got much better when it was just down to Orton and HHH. I loved the eliminations of JBL and Cena, as the former trimmed the fat from the match early on, and the latter reminded fans that the punt is deadly, which played into the finish of the match with HHH avoiding it, then finally executing the pedigree for the win.

The first half of the show didn't do much for me aside from HBK-Batista, but the second half was largely fantastic thanks to the World Heavyweight and WWE Title matches. I'll definitely be buying the DVD of the show for those two matches, and perhaps to see Matt win the biggest singles title of his career.

I was glad that Matt at least acknowledged that he had won other singles titles before, and that this was the biggest one yet. Cole bringing up Matt never winning any singles gold was an odd part of the post-return part of the story, as it was clearly untrue, and they wend back and forth between him never holding any singles titles, or never holding a major one, which would at least make some sense, as the other singles belts he held are presently dead, and not major belts at this moment in time.

Also, here's Don and Mike saying "LIONS, TIGERS, AND BEARS! OH MY!" - http://www.sendspace.com/file/nijeqv

- Payton Banks is likely gone from TNA. She was never signed to a contract. The door is open for her to return down the line but TNA doesn't have anything for her right now.

Credit: PWInsider.com

:(:(:(:(:(

[quote name='chasemurata']Eh, people have many faces.

Considering the sheer volume and former frequency of incidents, I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. Wasn't he once suspended for his behavior? He really needs to grow up, stop sucking and looking like a goblin.

Err, wait, I crossed beams.[/quote]

i think so, i know before WMXXII he was almost removed from the WHC triple threat with angle and mysterio because of the infamous hotel incident, and got a hefty fine as a result.

Welcome back to the era of 20 minute Triple H promos at the start of each and every fucking RAW.

Oh, and Hunter......

THE AGE OF ORTON WILL NEVER... EVER... EVAH... DIE!

Edit: Oh yeah.... come on Randy win tonight! :pray:

:rofl: @ that ref botching the pinfall count calling for the bell after getting to... two.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I believe in Randy Orton.[/quote]

Yet didn't you last night say that you knew HHH was going to win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back