The Lion King: Diamond Edition coming to 3D Blu Ray Fall 2011

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
2i1nlad.jpg

http://www.disneydreaming.com/2010/...-coming-to-diamond-edition-blu-ray-fall-2011/
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/questex/hom311109JFM/index.php?startid=10#/10

I know that the Blu-Ray announcement in a few months old, but the 3D announcement is something that I wasn't aware of. I'm excited for this! Not so much the 3D portion, but it'll be great to finally have this on Blu-Ray.. fingers crossed for Aladdin next.

Good to see some artwork finally. However, I'm rather disappointed they're doing 3D for it. Seems rather idiotic and unnecessary, but I guess that's the trend we're leaning towards nowadays.

The link also shows Bolt, G-Force, Nightmare Before Christmas, Chicken Little, and Meet the Robinsons will also be getting 3D Blu releases. Not sure if that was known, but it is further evidence of what I said above. Can't blame them I guess, it's an easy cashgrab

Just a tip, it's a good time to sell your DVD copy, in anticipation of this. Used copies can sell for $35+ in good condition.

Get used to it. The former owner of the company who does their restorations now heads a 2D-to-3D conversion house. If Disney is continuing their relationship with him, expect this to be a trend.

[quote name='etcrane']Just a tip, it's a good time to sell your DVD copy, in anticipation of this. Used copies can sell for $35+ in good condition.[/QUOTE]

Given the flood of bootlegs out there though, good luck getting that much.

I will be buying 2 copies of this. Hopefully there is a steelbook release for it. It is my favorite Disney Movie of ALL TIME.

EDIT: Damn what rock was I hiding under. The blu-ray was announced a few months ago? Well I guess I was out of the country :razz:

Wow, i looking forward to get Lion King on 3D. I wonder Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast and Little Nemo will be on 3D in 2012 ??

Perhaps my LEAST favorite Disney movie (well just ahead of Home on the Range, Pocahontas and other more recent travesties) but the lady of the house will be excited.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't consider this the greatest Disney movie ever, it has lost it's charm to me over the years. But of course I'm getting it, it's a Disney blu-ray after all!

[quote name='Nogib']Given the flood of bootlegs out there though, good luck getting that much.[/QUOTE]

Already got that much ;) ... I guess it does require that you have an ebay or Amazon account that is fairly established with a good rating, but it's entirely possible to get that much if you specify that it's an Authentic US release.

I am BEYOND ready for The Lion King on blu-ray. My favorite animated Disney movie and one of my all-time favorites. I don't even think I could sell the DVD unless it goes up to Tron prices.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I am BEYOND ready for The Lion King on blu-ray. My favorite animated Disney movie and one of my all-time favorites. I don't even think I could sell the DVD unless it goes up to Tron prices.[/QUOTE]

Kinda doubt the DVD will go up in price considering the new release includes the DVD version, though the packaging on the DVD version is most likely superior to the recent Disney Blu-ray releases.

[quote name='gojiboy']I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't consider this the greatest Disney movie ever, it has lost it's charm to me over the years. But of course I'm getting it, it's a Disney blu-ray after all![/QUOTE]

I might for completion sake but I never did pick up the snorefest of Pinocchio so we'll see.

Loved this movie, one of my favorite Disney movies. Don't really care about the 3d portion, but will definitely buy the regular blu-ray day one. Hopefully there will be a good coupon/deal when this comes out! :)

[quote name='Masterkyo']Wow, i looking forward to get Lion King on 3D. I wonder Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast and Little Nemo will be on 3D in 2012 ??[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, Beauty and the Beast was converted to 3D and had a release date of February 2010 (in theaters). Then...it never came out and it's almost a year later.

Article

[quote name='optimusprime8062']As far as I know, Beauty and the Beast was converted to 3D and had a release date of February 2010 (in theaters). Then...it never came out and it's almost a year later.

Article[/QUOTE]

the second link in my original post shows it coming out in Fall 2011.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']EDIT: Looks like its hitting in theaters in 3D sometime before its BD release too: http://www.disneydreaming.com/2010/06/24/disneys-the-lion-king-in-3d/[/QUOTE]
I don't see anything in that link about a theatrical release of the 3D version.

[quote name='optimusprime8062']As far as I know, Beauty and the Beast was converted to 3D and had a release date of February 2010 (in theaters). Then...it never came out and it's almost a year later.[/QUOTE]
They decided to hold it for 2011, since that will be the 20th anniversary of that movie. "20th Anniversary" looks a lot better on re-release promo material, than "19th Anniversary."

[quote name='trunks982']i dont understand why The Incredibles still not on bluray yet.[/QUOTE]

Its coming Spring 2011 according to an insert in another Disney Blu, Fantasia I think.

I have a 3D setup and a bunch of 3D movies, but converting 2d animation to 3d doesnt make sense to me. Stuff like pixar yes, but not a 2d animation unless it was fully animated in 3d to begin with.

Still, I will get this for the 2D version.

[quote name='Ruined']I have a 3D setup and a bunch of 3D movies, but converting 2d animation to 3d doesnt make sense to me. Stuff like pixar yes, but not a 2d animation unless it was fully animated in 3d to begin with.

Still, I will get this for the 2D version.[/QUOTE]

The way the animation is layered in The Lion King, and the way the movie has a lot of sweeping "camera" movements, I think would actually work quite well with 3D.

bread's done
Back