The Maw and Aqua for $1 total w/trial upgrade & microsoft phone call.

So I have a secondary, offline profile/tag on my console, my wife uses it when we play local multi-player.

I recently signed it up for gold to take advantage of the 1st month of gold free for any profile and when I logged into her gold trial account, there is a blade on the dashboard that offers a sale for:

1 month of LIVE and 2 games for $1.00 (+tax)

The month of LIVE is only for the guest profile, but the games will download to the hard-drive and are playable by any profile on that system. They are The Maw and Aqua. Both are 800 points each normally. The games are via an email code in 6-8 weeks.

Don't forget to cancel your month-to-month membership before the time is up. I had assumed you could still do that in the dashboard, but it's now a 5 minute phone call to microsoft 1-800-446-9629. Still worth it to me for $20 in games for $1 and a phone call

found a previous version of a similar deal w/Snoopy Flying Ace and the Maw on CAG
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281988&page=2

and found a UK version of this deal being discussed here too:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/1-m...hboard-only-for-people-without-an-exis/859113

Last edited by a moderator:
dammit, I was gonna buy this but it sounds like one of those "sign up for live and pay if you forget to cancel" deals. Probably should indicate that in the title somehow if it is.

Hmm my new extra account just ran out and theres a renew option for $3.33/mo ($39.99) and the two free games are aqua and lode runner. : /

Should I create another account to get these? Is it possible they are randomizing the free games? I've been itching to get The Maw and I would be willing to jump through a couple hoops to score it for free.

Wouldn't they just not give you the games since your account won't renew? The fine print says 6-8 weeks after you renew. I'm still waiting on my Halo Helmet from the first sale. I assume I haven't gotten it yet since my account doesn't renew for a few more months but I could be wrong. Do I need to contact M$ about that?

VERY misleading thread title, please edit to reflect the need to sign up for gold via the dashboard. Good deal if any only if you manage to avoid ever being charged a second time by MS.

[quote name='martyback']I think you have to do it under Account Management on their website but the link always leads me to an error page.[/QUOTE]
Try a different browser. Firefox always gives me an error, Chrome works for me.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Hmm my new extra account just ran out and theres a renew option for $3.33/mo ($39.99) and the two free games are aqua and lode runner. : /[/QUOTE]

Hmmm . . . the OP is still within his FREE Gold Trial whereas yours has now reverted to the FREE Silver membership.

I've got a secondary SILVER account that is also showing what you describe above.

[quote name='funkflexmctough']I don't think you can cancel online or via the dash anymore, for a month to month anyway. It seems you have to now call microsoft :([/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sucks. I was trying to do that the other day.

How much of a hassle is it to call them? I assume they try to talk you into leaving in on automatic right?

got my neighbor to sign up for it and sell me the codes for a $1 each, i should stop being lazy and look for adeal instead of autorenewing when my live runs up :(

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Should I create another account to get these? Is it possible they are randomizing the free games? I've been itching to get The Maw and I would be willing to jump through a couple hoops to score it for free.

Wouldn't they just not give you the games since your account won't renew? The fine print says 6-8 weeks after you renew. I'm still waiting on my Halo Helmet from the first sale. I assume I haven't gotten it yet since my account doesn't renew for a few more months but I could be wrong. Do I need to contact M$ about that?[/QUOTE]
They are not randomizing games. The games are changing about every week (I'm checking on multiple accounts--gold and silver). There are also different offers if you're a newly-made account, an older silver account, or a gold account.

Just wait 6-8 weeks. If you bought the dashboard deal, that is the renewal mentioned in the fine print. It doesn't matter if you canceled the auto-renewal; you still purchased the deal.

[quote name='whoknows']How much of a hassle is it to call them? I assume they try to talk you into leaving in on automatic right?[/QUOTE]
$1 for 1-month is worth a call up to 20 minutes (it can last ~5 minutes if you're brief and called at a good time). I've had to cancel auto-renewals three times now in the past month, and I don't think any call has exceeded 20 minutes (I often chat with the representatives, too).
And YES, they do try to talk you into leaving automatic on. Each time I tried to cancel auto-renew, they offered me $39.99 for 12-months, which would kick in once my subscription ended (and thus it leaves auto-renew on). I agreed to the deal for one of my accounts because I don't know how likely I'll be able to score 12-months for around that price in 2012. And they also told me I can cancel the auto-renewal any time still.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Can I use the code for the game on my main account?[/QUOTE]
The codes will be emailed, I believe, in the form of a 25-character Xbox Live code sent to the email address linked with your gamertag you bought a deal for. Therefore, you should be able to use the game codes for any account you want.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, that sucks. I was trying to do that the other day.

How much of a hassle is it to call them? I assume they try to talk you into leaving in on automatic right?[/QUOTE]

Yea they will try and keep you at all cost. I called earlier to cancel mine, but they actually offered me a good deal. I'm locked in at the $39.99 special they had last year and he told me if I keep auto-renewal on, I've been with them so long that I can stay at the $39.99 price again. Even told me if I find a cheap subscription card to use that, and whenever that runs out, the $39.99 will still kick in. I'd call and see if you can get any deals with them.

[quote name='funkflexmctough']I don't think you can cancel online or via the dash anymore, for a month to month anyway. It seems you have to now call microsoft :([/QUOTE]

So let me understand this fully.

Your 1-month FREE trial will end and you are then charged $1 for month #2? Do they actually wait for the FREE trial to end or will the $1 be charged immediately?

I also have to wonder when the 6 - 8 weeks begins. When you place the renewal order OR when the renewal actually takes place.

:whistle2:?

Good luck with this "deal". Keep us updated. I just have a feeling another call to Xbox Support is going to be in your future. :)

Aren't these $1 1st month deals set to renew (if you don't cancel) at the month-to-month rate of $9.99 and NOT the yearly $60?

[quote name='kburns10']Yea they will try and keep you at all cost. I called earlier to cancel mine, but they actually offered me a good deal. I'm locked in at the $39.99 special they had last year and he told me if I keep auto-renewal on, I've been with them so long that I can stay at the $39.99 price again. Even told me if I find a cheap subscription card to use that, and whenever that runs out, the $39.99 will still kick in. I'd call and see if you can get any deals with them.[/QUOTE]

That $39.99 price is something I've been seeing for months now. How special can it be? :whistle2:?

Yeah this isn't working for me either. I made a new account both from scratch and from hitting "Join Xbox Live" on an existing local profile, and neither give them the usual free month of gold, and the offer for both is the $39.99 for a year with a free copy of Lode Runner and Aqua.
Is there some special way to get this? And why doesn't these accounts I make get the usual first starter month for free? It did when I updated my wife's about five months ago.

[quote name='Shadowiii']Yeah this isn't working for me either. I made a new account both from scratch and from hitting "Join Xbox Live" on an existing local profile, and neither give them the usual free month of gold, and the offer for both is the $39.99 for a year with a free copy of Lode Runner and Aqua.
Is there some special way to get this? And why doesn't these accounts I make get the usual first starter month for free? It did when I updated my wife's about five months ago.[/QUOTE]

I believe it is limited to the first 3 accounts you take online.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']I believe it is limited to the first 3 accounts you take online.[/QUOTE]
Poo, I think you are right. I wonder if punching in some 48 hour Gold Trial codes will make the deal pop up...

[quote name='Shadowiii']Poo, I think you are right. I wonder if punching in some 48 hour Gold Trial codes will make the deal pop up...[/QUOTE]
No. I don't see how that could change anything. 48-hour codes only give you online game-time and you don't actually get the benefits of being a Gold member.
On one Gold account, I haven't seen any dashboard Gold deals these past few days.
I redeemed 1-month of Gold for one account, and then I was offered $1 for 1-month (and no free games) on that account.

I signed-in with all of the Silver accounts on my Xbox, and they all are being offered the $39.99 12-months.

And like TXboxGuY said, you will only be offered the automatic free 1-month of Gold with the first three gamertags you create through that console.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']That $39.99 price is something I've been seeing for months now. How special can it be? :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

I guess you are right in that it's not very "special" anymore. But considering they are jacking the price up for a year by $10, I'd rather be locked into a secure price for $40 than $60!

Buying an xbox soon? Or maybe a friend wants to join XBL?

Microsoft is offering a free month + 2 free XBL games when you sign up.

Create a profile,choose Join Xbox Live from your profile options,after you've created your live account, when it asks you to upgrade to gold choose upgrade later...wich will offer you the 1 month free trial and sign you into Live.

The first item in Spotlight will be another offer of a free month of Gold and The Maw/Aqua,you will have to enter a credit card wich will auto-renew Gold after the trial expires...but you can cancel at anytime online or by calling Microsoft.

WOW,youre right! In the offer it says you can cancel online...but on the xbox site is says you have to call support to cancel! I'm surprised by that,then again I've always bought my 12 month memberships from Amazon.

You can cancel by calling and waiting about a half an hour, it can't be done online. It is kind of a pain in the ass, but I was able to get a year for $30 for calling and attempting to do so yesterday before my auto renew kicked in on Sunday.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']You can turn off auto-renew on Xbox.com I've done it before, unless they've changed it.[/QUOTE]
I did it just this past week. Had to click through 3 or 4 screens of ALL THE GREAT STUFF I'D BE MISSING OUT ON WITHOUT AUTO-RENEW, but it worked. Damned if I can figure out how I found it, though...

[quote name='loveangel']is there any other way to cancel , post some info here[/QUOTE]

I was able to do so a couple of months ago, even after MS did a total redesign on their site. Here's what I did (IIRC)...

First, go to your "My Account" page. Under the "Membership Options" section click the first link. That link now reads as "Upgrade/Manage Account" for me, but it may be named something else if you have auto-renew on. I then had to click through a few "please don't turn off auto renew" pages before finally being prompted to turn it off.

As soon as I disabled auto-renew the option to toggle my auto-renew status on or off via the website had disappeared, so I can't provide exact directions on how to do it.

That may or may not have changed since then. I'd be really interested to hear if this helps anyone with their auto-renew problem or not. I don't want to be misleading anyone by telling them they can still use the site if that's no longer the case.

bread's done
Back