The Microsoft versus Nintendo Repair Challenge!

PlumeNoir

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
As some of you know, both my 360 and my Wii have died within about a week of each other.

This leads me to an experiment that I am conducting here and on my blog: The Console Repair Challenge!

I understand that a good portion of you probably are not interested, but since both of my systems are being shipped "home" tomorrow, I felt this would be a neat way to compare the repair process of both companies (turnaround time, customer service, etc). Besides, it is a way of trying to take off the sting of having both of my current gen consoles die while every other system I have, dating back to the late 70s, is still in perfect working order. And, I'm putting it in the OTT forum, since I can't think of a better place. (Casey or any others mods may feel free to move this as they see fit.)

My 360 died about 11/22 from the dreaded RRoD. (I got my 360 on 11/19/05.) My Wii (purchased on 1/28/07) stopped reading Wii games on Monday, 11/26, and I called it in on Tuesday, 11/27. (It will still play GameCube games, but Wii games give the just as dreaded and mysterious "An error has occurred..." message.)

NOTE: The following is based on my experiences, and my experiences alone, with the two companies. Results may be atypical, your milage may vary, operators are standing by, etc. It is not scientific in any way other than I'm probably obsessive-compulsive in my note taking. No animals were harmed in this, although one of my cats did seem to find the 360 coffin a rather enjoyable place to snooze before I packed it up (the 360, not the cat).

Part 1: The calls
Both were pretty much the same: I had about five minute hold time and the basic description of the problem and some troubleshooting.
Microsoft: Of course, my warranty on my 360 has expired, but since this is a Red Ring Of Death, it is covered. (Just in case, I took video of system powering on to the red wink.)
Nintendo: Since that system is still in warranty, I really didn't have any problems, other than they didn't see my system info in their system (I registered it online, though). They did find my personal information, so I didn't have to repeat my address and phone number over and over.

Part 1 Verdict: Microsoft.
As I stated, the experience was pretty much the same. Both CSRs were pleasant and helpful, and I must note that the lady I spoke to at Nintendo was exceptionally friendly and pleasant - I wish I had noted her name, because I'm the type of person that likes to send compliments to companies for good experience with employees.
Yet, I have to give this one to Microsoft, only because I expected more of a hassle. Even with the three-year coverage for the RROD, I figured I'd have to jump through more hoops since it is, technically, way out of the standard warranty timeframe.

Part 2: The Coffins
Most everyone knows that Microsoft sends you a coffin, but Nintendo is a BYOB (as in box), but they do pay for the shipping.
It took about a week for my coffin to arrive from Microsoft, but minutes after my phone call with Nintendo, I had the email which contained the instructions and how to print off the shipper to send it off. I have to use one of my own boxes, but it's better than having to wait a week. (In fact, I had called Microsoft back last night wondering about the status of my box.)
Summing up:
Microsoft: They send you everything you need, but you have to wait for it.
Nintendo: You bring the box, but they give you a link to FedEx to print off your own labels.

Part 2 Verdict: Nintendo
While Microsoft sends you everything you need, Nintendo gives me the opportunity to send it back nearly immediately. Since I have boxes, this isn't a problem, and I don't mind spending a few minutes getting a box and packing materials ready if it means I don't have to wait an extra week.

Tomorrow, I will drop off the boxes at UPS and FedEx to be returned to Microsoft and Nintendo, respectively. The next week will probably be uneventful, as I will just check the status every few days. The real part of the "challenge" will be in seeing which one comes back sooner and the status of the unit returned (refurb, working, etc.) I will keep you posted on this little experiment of mine...

Part 3: The Voyage Home
Finally! The meaty center of all this! (Ha-ha! Meat. [/Phil])
Nintendo: I checked Nintendo.com late Monday night (12/10) and saw they had shipped my Wii back. (Well, it actually left very early Tuesday morning.) By Tuesday night, it was already at my local UPS depot. (Even though Nintendo had me ship my Wii back via FedEx, they returned it UPS Ground.) I had to take the day off work today for an emergency (again), and when I got home, nothing had arrived yet. When I decided to check my mail, there was a brown box sitting on my porch. (I kinda wish they had it sent signatured-required - had I not been home, it would have sat on my porch in the cold until well after dark.)
That nitpick aside, I opened the box and saw this:

Underneath the envelope, my sweet Wii goodness:

I looked and verified that the serial number matched - yep, it is mine, all right. I checked the envelope and found that it seems that my Wii was repaired by United Radio, Inc - an authorized Nintendo subcontractor. One thing I wondered was if they would tell me what they did, or just send the system back. My unspoken question was answered: They "cleaned, tested and inspected all components and REPLACED DISC DRIVE MECHANISM" - their emphasis, not mine. Another sheet with Post-Wii Repair instructions checked only the box for the "Verified and repaired or replaced the defective components." (This is reassuring. I always have that worry that when something breaks and you have it repaired, they won't find anything wrong; sort of like going to the doctor and after waiting to see him, your fever breaks and you feel better by the time he sees you.)

Repair time total, from the day I dropped it off: ten business days (just under two weeks.)

Microsoft: On Wednesday, 12/12, I received a call from UPS that my package (AKA 360) would be delivered the next day. Luckily (Sorta), we had a medical emergency going on, so I'd be home almost all day on Thursday. No package arrived. I checked the website and they showed it had been delayed and would be delivered on Friday, the 14th. Since I was going to be at work all day, I opted to pick it up on the way home from the UPS depot. When I got there, I was next in line at the pick-up and saw two coffins standing on their ends. One was mine, and as I signed for it, I leaned over and saw the other one was from Mcallen, TX. I commented, "Oh, there's another 360" and heard the guy behind me in line say, "Yeah, mine's back here." I turned and saw a third coffin that he was pointing to. (Maybe the guy at UPS two weeks before wasn't exaggerating when he said they had eight other 360s ship out that day.) I talked to him for a minute and found we both had the RRoD and sent our systems back on the same day.

I got home and couldn't wait to get my system open. I looked at the box and took a deep breath...

(No, they didn't send me Rock Band to make up for the system failure - it just happened to have been delivered that same day and was sitting in my door when I came home.)

I opened the box and...

Sweet zombie Jesus!!! It's that damn cursed Tropicana faceplate! My plan backfired on me, and it was taunting me now!
Wait a minute - I really wasn't expecting it back; I was trying to get rid of it, afterall. I flip the system around and check the serial numbers and manufacture date. October 2005...the serial numbers match - this was my system, all right. I check the side of the machine (what would be the bottom, if it was positioned vertically - AKA the end opposite the hard drive) and I see the vents are unbroken. And the slight scuff mark on the underside is gone. You see, about 8 months after I got the machine, it had a little "accident" where the case got a minor scuff mark and couple of the vents were cracked. Obviously, they replaced the case.

So, I didn't get a refurb back. Plus, I received the free 1 month of XBL card and letter apologizing and thanking me for being a part of the "Xbox community." However, there was no mention of what was actually done. Was the main board replaced? Were certain parts replaced? Did they just throw my serial number on a refurb? Did a fairy princess wave a magic wand over it and whisper an ancient incantation? I have no clue.

Part 3 Verdict: Nintendo
This one was a close call - they both took about the same amount of time to repair (about ten days, not including the delivery times), so I had to consider the other factors. I was not pleased at all that my Wii was just left on my doorstep without requiring a signature - this almost caused me to give the edge to Microsoft (Nintendo should have shipped it with a signature required). But, I know what they did because they took the time to include a sheet stating what was replaced. As I stated, I have no idea what happened to my 360; if it was a different serial number, I would know it was a refurb. But the case was replaced, but my faceplate (ugh) was put back on and it has the same serial number. If I take my car into the shop because it is doing something odd (I'm not a mechanic, just a driver), they at least tell me what is going on. The card for 1 month of Live is a nice touch, though - but the peace of mind of knowing exactly what was done swayed me to Nintendo.

Part 4: Up and Running

Now, it is the moment of truth. I gave this a little longer (over a week) to test both systems.

Nintendo: I plugged my Wii in and all my saves and Miis are still there. I checked the Opera browser (went to cheapassgamer, natch) and it connected fine to the interwebs. Popped in Eternal Darkness and it worked. The Moment of Truth: I inserted Mario Galaxy and it spun right up. Nice. My son and I have been playing Mario Galaxy most of the week with no problems. The VC seems fine (I didn't expect any problems) and GameCube games run perfectly. I can't even tell the system has been out of the house since I bought it.

Microsoft: The Fall update was pushed while my system was in the shop, so I wondered if they would apply it there. They didn't. I plug everything back in and power up the machine and try to connect to XBL. No luck. I check my wireless adapter, and it is red. I bounce my access point and reboot the system. No luck. I go into the network settings and find something interesting. For some reason, I thought the system settings would be saved to the hard drive, but this doesn't seem to be the case. The instructions in the return coffin state that the controllers must be re-synched, but not that the system settings would need to be redone. My first clue was that I noticed the time and date were way off, so I correct that. Then I check my wireless settings and find that my WEP key is no longer stored. (I guess it kind of makes sense, since there are Core systems out there where someone may have dropped the Benny Franklin on the wireless adapter, but not the hard drive.)

I dig out my WEP key to re-setup wireless. Since I'm in here anyway, I decided to change the IP to a static one and setup the port-forwarding on my router for XBL. (I was in there anyway). My NAT setting changed from Moderate to Open (even though my AP is on the Microsoft approved list), and I can connect to XBL again. Time for the "Fall" Update.

I feel I should make a mention of my feelings of the Fall Update. Since I have applied it, I notice that my 360 boots slower (the screen is black for two or three seconds before the "x-sphere" appears) and everything relating to XBL (Friend's info, images, etc) seem to take longer to load. Since I did change the network settings, I can't rule that out, but that wouldn't affect the boot. I didn't pay attention the first time I booted, so I can't judge if it is the system, or the Fall Update that caused this.

Okay, I'm on Live again and my system is running. I load up the last game I played when my system died: Guitar Hero III. I couldn't finish a song before, now I am rocking (albeit on Easy). I throw in Rock Band, download some Bowie and Sabbath (I was born in the early 70's, afterall) and rock out again (after creating a character that looks quite a bit like a younger me). I spent a week playing Portal and Half-Life 2 (Mass Effect, which arrived a few days after Rock Band, is waiting its turn in my gaming queue).

Verdict: Nintendo.
Both systems seem to be running fine. (Although, I don't think I'll go for another 15 hour marathon session of Dead Rising, like I did months ago for the 7 Day Survivor achievement.)
Before anyone says I should call it a tie, because both systems have run perfectly for a week, I ask that you re-read the lengthy Microsoft part. I understand that replacing a drive shouldn't affect my system settings on my Wii, and I should have expected that with the 360. Maybe the 360's flux capacitor is where the system settings are stored, and it was replaced too? (Yes, I know that the system board was the culprit...but I still don't know if that is all that was replaced; that mystery bothers me.) My point is: if you're going to include a letter stating that the controller needs to be re-synched, why not go the full mile and mention that the system settings will need to be re-done?

Final Winner: Nintendo

Well, I really didn't know what to expect when I started this. In a way, it would have been nice if my 360 was DOA when it returned, or if the Wii had a huge crack down its side. Both systems have worked perfectly for the past week, so I have nothing to complain about. (That makes everything kind of anti-climatic, eh?)

Pretty much every part was a close call, with the majority of the "swing" decisions being based on information (or lack thereof) being relayed. There were shipping issues, but they were mostly out of the two companies' hands (except for one instance, but I'll come back to that).

Once again, I'm not trying to say one game maker is better than the other; I am merely relating my experiences. I now have two fully functional machines again in about a couple of weeks time, so I'm pleased for that.

So, what advice do I have for the companies?
Microsoft: I really wish I knew what was done to or failed on my system. I was fortunate enough to have won my system in a contest, but if I did pay the $400, I'd really like to know what had failed - even if it was just a generic "system board error" note. Mentioning that I'd have to setup the system again would have been nice too, since a paper about resynching the controllers was mentioned.

Nintendo: I really have no complaints, other than PLEASE SHIP THE SYSTEM "SIGNATURE REQUIRED!" Englishsandwich even mentioned he lost a Wii in this thread for that reason!

Well, thank you for your time if you had the perseverance to make it through all this. I'm sure people will disagree with my points or decisions, and I welcome any insight others may be able to shed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Updates Section:
UPDATE 11/30: I dropped off the Wii at a FedEx/Kinkos at 3pm EST. At 3:20pm, I dropped off the 360 at The UPS Store. (I dceided to "take them to the source," as it were, for shipping.) Interestingly, as soon as I walked in the door at The UPS Store, one of the clerks saw the white box under my arm and said, "Dead 360, huh?" I asked him how he knew, and he said, "We've had nine come in today." I can't verify whether or not that was just hyperbole, but he did know exactly what the box under my arm was from 20 feet away.

UPDATE 12/3: I checked the status of both packages. The Wii arrived in East Syracuse, NY this morning and has been listed as delivered at 8:17am. My 360, at last check, left Lousiville, KY in transit to Dallas/Fort Worth, TX at 4:13pm, according to UPS. Obviously, New York is closer to Michigan than Texas, so its arrival isn't too big of a shock, and we are not judging the delivery companies. However, now we know the Wii has landed and Nintendo lists my support as "waiting for parts." Nintendo's clock is now offically running again.

On a separate note, which I did not mention before, I swapped faceplates on my 360 beofre I sent it out. Instead of the Premium's standard, I put on one of the Tropicana Twisted butt-ugly faceplates. This wasn't so much as testing to see what would happen and if it would come back, but that I have several and didn't know what else to do with them, so I could stand sacrificing one.

UPDATE 12/5 ~9:45pm EST: I have been checking UPS all day, and they finally updated their site to show that the 360 was delivered at 8:34am today, but no updates to either console's support site.

UPDATE 12/7: I wasn't home most of yesterday, due to a family emergency, but I received an email from Nintendo that says:
"We wanted to let you know that the components you sent to Nintendo for
repair have been received. You may expect to receive them back in the next 5-7 business days."

On the Microsoft side, my system status updated to "Device Received at Service Center" - but nothing beyond that.

UPDATE 12/22: Final update after thorough testing of the two returned machines.

I had the same experience a while back. Both my 360 and Wii died within two days of each other. In the end, Nintendo was superior on all levels. Faster, nicer, easier.

This was a good idea. I wish I'd thought to do this back when I had the chance.

my 360 (3rd time) and and wii (first time) died within a month of eachother.

microsoft sent me a box and had it back to me within a couple weeks.

nintendo sent me labels and sent me a new system in ca.6 days. This was stolen by UPS or my damned neighbors. So they sent me another system the day I called upon getting the tracking delivery confirmation without recieving a package. Got the new system and found out my PSU was shot too. Called again and they sent one out that day, 3-day shipping.

Overall my vote is for nintendo (even though they need to require someone sign for their packages) because my first 360's PSU died and microsoft wanted me to pay 80$ for a new PSU (somehow it wasn't covered under the early shitty warranty). Luckily, I knew someone at Gamestop who swapped it with one they were returning to MS because the system was DOA. Oh, and I can understand Nintendo Support's accent, which helps.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Honestly, I didn't think anyone would care, since 360s dying aren't really that rare, but you don't hear too many of the Wii stories. I figured the unique timing of sending both systems back the same day would be a great way to compare/ contrast the service.

Englishsandwich: that is another reason I started this - I have heard the horror stories of systems coming back DOA or dying within a week. But you did allude to a point I considered making, but decided not to: the accents of the CSRs.

The Microsoft rep was obviously overseas and a little on the quiet side. However, he wasn't bad at all, and I understood him perfectly (as opposed to a recent debacle I had with Best Buy's Reward Zone where I had to ask for another CSR because I couldn't understand a thing they said). I'm not sure where the Nintendo rep hailed from, but it sounded like Americanized English, even a bit on the Midwest side. Of course, I had no problems with speaking to her.

I didn't bring it up because I didn't want to go into the outsourcing debate (and believe me, I work in I.T., so it's an all-too-familar subject to me). But, it is a fact and nature of the beast that the Microsoft call centers are indeed overseas and there isn't much that can be done about that. If needed, I can always amend the original post to mention this if others feel it is worth pointing out. I can understand how trouble communicating can lead to things like address screw-ups, but that doesn't seem to apply to my case, so I ultimately decided to leave it out.

Nintendo wins, but I'm sure they have a lot less issues then the 360. I wish there were stats out there for defective Wii's because this is truly shocking that Wii's are having problems considering how durable the N64 was along the Gamecube, NES, SNES, etc. But now with the Wii and DS Lite hinges cracking, maybe Nintendo is rushing their products?

Either way as long as when my 360 breaks the Wii doesn't break.

Good thread.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I had the same experience a while back. Both my 360 and Wii died within two days of each other. In the end, Nintendo was superior on all levels. Faster, nicer, easier.

This was a good idea. I wish I'd thought to do this back when I had the chance.[/QUOTE]
My Wii just broke as well and I have been through 6 or 7 360's. I have only sent two 360s back to Microsoft and agree with you that Nintendo was MUCH better. My Wii was back in my hands about 8 days after i sent it out. Great service by Nintendo.

This will be interesting and should be a good read. But, just like anything, outside of this being an interesting case study, we really can't weigh too much into it, it's one case. We can't say Nintendo or Microsoft is better, based on this one.

Also, you have so many extraneous variables. What if your neighbor steals a coffin from you. What is actually wrong with your system (if you have an unusual defect in one, that could cause it to be fixed slower).

So, though I'll keep up, I'd just caution anyone about reading too much into this, since it's just one case.

What's up with all the Wii's bricking now? I just got mine back from Nintendo yesterday, and two of my buddies are sending their Wii's in this week for the same problem.

Interesting thread, OP. I was very satisfied with Nintendo's service, have never had to deal with Microsoft.

[quote name='lordxixor101']This will be interesting and should be a good read. But, just like anything, outside of this being an interesting case study, we really can't weigh too much into it, it's one case. We can't say Nintendo or Microsoft is better, based on this one.

Also, you have so many extraneous variables. What if your neighbor steals a coffin from you. What is actually wrong with your system (if you have an unusual defect in one, that could cause it to be fixed slower).

So, though I'll keep up, I'd just caution anyone about reading too much into this, since it's just one case.[/quote]

Well, obviously, it's not some type of "industry expose," but just an account of my experience with the two companies' repair process. It is not my intent to really say if Microsoft or Nintendo is better. I could easily slant my verdicts either way, if I so chose ("360's always die!!!" versus "Wiis don't even last a year!! LAWL!!!), but I am merely using this opportunity to compare/ contrast my experiences with the companies, and have a little fun doing so; sort of a "Lemonade from lemons" deal.

I have updated the original post with the info that I shipped them out. (My wife's aunt owns a postal annex and her dad already chided me for not going to her to ship these out. :lol: ) I was going to do it first thing this morning, but I'm on vacation, so I decided to sleep in and chill around the house for a bit.

I also noted in the post that the guy at UPS knew exactly what was in my white box the moment I entered the store. He said it was their ninth one of the day, but I cannot verify that claim.

Nice little experiment you got going here, it'll be interesting to see who wins the challenge. I think it'll be Nintendo, but you never know...

Bump for update to the original post. The Wii has been delivered to Nintendo and the 360 is on its way from KY to TX.

Plus, added the fact that I switched faceplates with a spare before I sent the 360.

Looking forward to more updates.

I'm thinking of a getting a 360 and I've already got a Wii so it's interesting to see how the experience is like when something failed.

You're not supposed to send in a faceplate because the chances are high you won't get your own back and they don't have time to pay attention as to what faceplate goes to what system.

They'll end up sending you a system with a plain white faceplate.

[quote name='zewone']You're not supposed to send in a faceplate because the chances are high you won't get your own back and they don't have time to pay attention as to what faceplate goes to what system.

They'll end up sending you a system with a plain white faceplate.[/QUOTE]

If you read the OP you'll see he's got several and didn't mind sacrificing one for the sake of science. ;)

Good job, OP! I'm following this closely.

[quote name='keithp']If you read the OP you'll see he's got several and didn't mind sacrificing one for the sake of science. ;)

Good job, OP! I'm following this closely.[/QUOTE]
I did read it, but I don't see the point.

[quote name='zewone']I did read it, but I don't see the point.[/quote]

The point was - as I was packing everything up, the thought of someone having that horrible Tropicana faceplate staring back out at them made me laugh to myself. (Seriously...a sumo with wings? My wife was the one that noticed that if you had that faceplate on and a memory card in, it looks like he's "happy" to see you.)

At worse, I'll get a plain white one back, which is more than a fair trade in my eyes. ;)

Seriously, those things are really ugly and it barely took five seconds to swap them, so I figured "why not?"

I just walked in the door from work, and haven't had a chance to check statuses yet. I will shortly after dinner.

[quote name='PlumeNoir']Part 1 Verdict: Microsoft.
Yet, I have to give this one to Microsoft, only because I expected more of a hassle.[/quote]

Wait, what? Because you figured they had shitty CS, you give them a better CS rating?

[quote name='Rocko']Wait, what? Because you figured they had shitty CS, you give them a better CS rating?[/quote]

Read it again. That is not what I said.

I'll spell it out slowly for you. The Wii is fully under warranty, therefore, there should be no problems whatever with a service call - and there wasn't. The 360 is not - Microsoft does not know if I am lying or not about the RRoD, since that is all that is covered now.

The service was pretty equal, I'd say, so it was tough to choose. It was only because that I did not have to jump through hoops about the RRoD that I gave them a slight edge. It was basically "I have the Red Ring" and the CSR was, "Okay, let's start the process." I didn't have to try a bunch of things or even tell him which quadrants were lit.

As I said, it was pretty close, but I had to finally side with Microsoft on that.

In other news,
I'm not going to update the OP for today. My 360 has left San Antonio at 10:12pm on its way to McAllen. The Wii is listed as "repair componets not yet received."

Bump again for updating OP with email from Nintendo.

Now, something that has crossed my mind is whether or not the 360 I get back with have the fall update applied or not...

[quote name='help1']Isn't the Wii's warranty only 180 days? Where can I buy a warranty?[/QUOTE]

What Nintendo warrants it for 12 months, plus added an extra 3 if you registered it online or something along those lines.

180 days?

[quote name='Snake2715']What Nintendo warrants it for 12 months, plus added an extra 3 if you registered it online or something along those lines.

180 days?[/quote]

I thought its was 90 days standard and 90 days if you register, my bad.

I decided to check my 360 status on xbox.com today and found out that "my" 360 has already been shipped out, and UPS confirms it. (I put that in quotes because it is more than likely a refurb - but I'll know when it arrives.) Should have that by the end of the week. Still no news from Nintendo.

[quote name='PlumeNoir']I decided to check my 360 status on xbox.com today and found out that "my" 360 has already been shipped out, and UPS confirms it. (I put that in quotes because it is more than likely a refurb - but I'll know when it arrives.) Should have that by the end of the week. Still no news from Nintendo.[/quote]

Yep they never send you the same system nomatter what.
Always a refurb, which is why I just like trading it in at gamestop for instant refurb.

Interested in seeing more, but I promise you will just get a refurb from Microsoft. I had a co-worker check his serial # to the and compare to the one that came back. When it came back, it was a different serial # and I am sure the one I received back was as well, I didn't think to check serial #'s when I sent mine.

Updated the OP with Section 3, as my Wii is all up in the hizzle-snizzle. Woot-woot. Or something.

I think I said that my Wii came back today, or that it grabbed a ho and did a drive-by. I meant the former, but can't rule out the latter...

Well, I'm glad to see that everything worked out for you!

I guess I agree with your final decision. The possibility of my Wii being left on my porch would be concerning, but it would be avoidable. But not knowing what happened to my 360 would bug the crap out of me.

Thanks for the in depth investigation, PlumeNoir!

Good stuff, I'm not shocked that Nintendo won... but I am surprised on how close it ended up being, I figured Microsoft would take a lot longer to send your console back.

bread's done
Back