The Most Pure Fun Game Ever?

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
I'm wondering what game everyone had the most fun with. To me that's the single biggest overall qualifier for a "good" game. It might have a terrible story or shitty graphics or whatever but those things can't stop the fun if it's there.

For example my pick is a toss up between Time Splitters 2 and Saints Row The Third. Both of these games are pure fun imo. TS2 had the 2 player co-op story mode, some very fun single player challenges, and awesome local multiplayer with bots that we don't see much of anymore. I played the shit out of that game and I dont know that anything will ever top it for me in terms of pure fun. Maybe a well done TS4.

Saints Row 3 comes pretty close and is also extremely fun. It doesnt take itself seriously and it's just absolutely ridiculous and addicting fun. Much better than GTA IV and in many ways better than any GTA imo.

One more game I feel like mentioning is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. I played 1 & 2 for months just trying to top my/my friends previous scores and trying new runs. Can't wait for that HD remake.

TL;DR: To me some of the most fun games ever made are Time Splitters 2, Saints Row 3, and The first couple THPS games. So what are your thoughts on the most fun games ever?

Most fun for me is Starcraft. Great story, campaign and amazing multiplayer. I've played over 4,000 multi games, and every one has been an unique experience. I fired the old game up last weekend, and found it still to be addicting. It was much harder to find a game though. Only 2,000 ppl were playing.

I try to only play fun games but something that continually brought a smile to my face was Super Mario Galaxy 2.

It's a toss up between one of many competitive local multiplayer games. I'd probably start with Warlords (2600) or the SNES through GC console Mario Karts. Also UTGOTY (PC) over LAN at work. My quality of life has been immeasurably improved by the grief I have caused others in those games.

There's a lot to be said for single-player gaming in creating a moving narrative that rivals other media, but for straight-up fun, I think you've got to have more than one player involved, and it's gotta be local. Yelling "fuck ur mom $$$$$$ homo bitch cuntflaps" over a mic just doesn't hold a candle to doing it in person. I'm a staunch traditionalist that way.

yeah ill go with sr3 thats the first game in a while that i really laughed with and enjoyed and wanted to stay up late to play. they packed alot of cool shit in there. would have been nice to use your own music in it though.

[quote name='dothog']It's a toss up between one of many competitive local multiplayer games. I'd probably start with Warlords (2600)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have thought of this at first, but now that you mention it, I would have to agree. My cousins and I would spend hours every Sunday afternoon at Grandma's house playing this game.

Too many to list...

Super Mario Bros. 3
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Jet Grind Radio
Streets of Rage 3
Super Mario Kart

Those are some that come to mind.

There's a lot in my mind, but these stick out the most:

:ps2: Grand Theft Auto III & Vice City - I've beaten both games numerous times. I even completed them 100% multiple times. San Andreas and IV were good, but they didn't entertain me nearly as much these two.

ps1.gif
:ps2: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1, 2 and 3 - I spent countless hours playing the first game and then when they started letting you create your own parks, it only got worse. I think I beat the career mode with just about every available skater in all three games.

ps1.gif
:ps2: Metal Gear Solid 1 & 3 - Beat both of these multiple times over. I probably beat the original MGS at least 10 times as a kid. I've beaten Snake Eater three times on PS2 and twice on PS3. Awesome games.

:pc: StarCraft & Brood War - I've played this game for years. I can't think of another game that I've ever played that I've gone back to at least once a year for over a decade.

n64.gif
WCW/nWo Revenge, Wrestlemania, No Mercy - The golden age of U.S. wrestling video games. Much like the Tony Hawk games, these games seemed to have endless replay value, especially with the addition of create a wrestler features.

gameboy.gif
Tetris - My original GameBoy still works, and playing Tetris on it today is just as fun as the Christmas morning I originally got it.

:360: :ps3: Borderlands - I've beaten this game with all the characters, on two different systems, and I can still pick it up and play it. After I platinumed it, I had even more fun using the save editors to screw around with modding my own guns. Borderlands 2 is probably my most anticipated game for this year.

:360: :ps3: Fallout 3 & New Vegas - I own both games for 360 and PS3 and between the two games and two systems, I've probably spent 500+ hours playing them and I've considered buying the PC versions to play them some more.

:xbox: Fable - I know this game fell short of expectations, but I ended up playing through it a bunch of times anyway. I played through as a do-everything good character and evil character, then I ended up playing through as a true archer, then a true will user, then a true knight. As with most of the games on my list, I know it's up there on my all time favorite list when I start replaying it again after beating it two or three times.

gameboy.gif
Zelda: Link's Awakening - This is my favorite Zelda game. I've beaten it probably six or seven times. It's kind of strange because I've never really been able to get into the other Zelda games as much. I think this might be the first RPG I ever beat.

:360: Mass Effect - I love this game. The second one is pretty awesome, but the first is my favorite. Even though the space exploration is pretty shallow, I had always wanted to be able to do that in a game and it was a lot of fun to finally have that in a game I was playing.

Worms World Party (PC) (or Worms Armageddon for those who started earlier)

This was the only game I played for a few years. Online multiplayer (Shoppa mode) via Dial-up. With new maps always being custom-created the game always felt fresh.

There was no online chat, just a little text box at the top of the screen to chat with everyone playing. WIPTISTEAN FTW.

I'm gonna have to say Saint's Row 3 as well. Nothing was more fun to me than bodysurfing pedestrians or giving them a DDT as I'm running up on them.

Honorable mentions:

*Saint's Row 2
*GTA San Andreas(I'd take the jetliner from one part of the city to another, then nosedive it and bail out and watch the carnage:evil:)
*GTA Vice City(kid of the 80's, so driving around listening to all that good 80's music was like heaven)

Some good answers. Havent played most of these but I can see where some of the responses are coming from. Super Smash Bros is a ton of fun and I completely forgot about the Worms series but yeah I played Worms Armageddon on PS1 I think it was for quite awhile. Great game.

Some other games Ive really like but not quite as much replayability as the ones I mention in the first post:

Punch Out
Mario 3
Twisted Metal 2
Uncharted 2
Spyro 1-3
Gran Turismo
Syphon Filter

Tetris: Have spent many an hour competing against my family to see who could get the highest score or the most lines.

GTA from III to IV: liked them so much I ended up playing most of them on more than one system.

Dr. Mario: a favorite from childhood that I still enjoy playing every once in a while on SNES.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 & 3 - Put on some music, pour a glass of whiskey and go hack n' slash crazy.

Katamari Damacy - Rolling crap up, never get tired of it.

Tekken Tag Tournament - Haven't played it in years but getting a big group of friends and playing for hours was a so much fun. Even Tekken Bowling was a blast.

Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. immediately come to mind as me and my friends used to play those games for hours. Other would be Red Faction 2 for the PS2 and Timesplitters 2. Stories were all dumb, but damn was the multiplayer some of the best at the time. Rock Band gets a nod because I used to play drums every day (couldn't get real ones because of noise) until I absolutely destroyed my set. Yet, I still pull that bad boy out once in a while, hitting those black flaps until my arms grow weary.

edit - forgot about Dynasty Warriors. I could slash thousands of nameless warriors all day.

Super Mario World
Mario Bros. Classic (not super; the version that predates super mario bros)
Mario Kart (pretty much any iteration single or local multi)
Vice City/Bully (both of these amazing in their own way)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I & II (Seriously, just try them)
Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort
Tetris
Turtles in Time

Too many to list, really.

Gotta agree with katamari, the music just puts you in a silly mood. Especially the opening video with the ducks/geese singing. The one on ps3 just lost some of it's charm trying to introduce new features and so many unlocked[quote name='Strell']Katamari Damacy single player, Smash Bros multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

NBA 2K series - awesome when you got a group going
Saints Row 3 - had a blast just doing random stuff. if only the map had more variety and was bigger
Street Fighter - fighting games in general
God of War - got really old by 3 but i had a great time with the first one

bread's done
Back