The Muhammad Hassan Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmz00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
He would have been a pretty solid United States champion and World title contender. He drew incredible heat.

Also, I'm carrying this over...

[quote name='Foo228']I concur, aside for the whole lucha thing...loved 'lucha libre' in the old ecw[/quote]

ECW lucha is different than, say, AAA lucha. ECW lucha was a hybrid of lucha and ECW's hard style. Lucha libre is more ballet. It's very fluid and not particularly concerned with hard, crisp moves with a lot of impact.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Yea... well then fuck WWE. They can keep their USA/MNTV/Sci-Fi/whatever the fuck they have. If the other wrestling companies got together.. like TNA, ROH, maybe NWA if they're not absolutely broke.. got together and did something like that, I think it would be great for everyone.[/quote]

It would be great for pro-wrestling if there were a variety channel. It would give people the opportunity to experience all styles and promotions, and the history of pro-wrestling (which I think is important for reflection and discussion).

[quote name='lmz00']I don't get why the fans would start "USA" chants. The guy was billed from Detroit, Michigan.[/quote]

It's just the way pro-wrestling is. If you're ethnic and heel, you'll get "USA" chants. :whistle2:#

[quote name='chasemurata']Also, I'm carrying this over...

ECW lucha is different than, say, AAA lucha. ECW lucha was a hybrid of lucha and ECW's hard style. Lucha libre is more ballet. It's very fluid and not particularly concerned with hard, crisp moves with a lot of impact.

It would be great for pro-wrestling if there were a variety channel. It would give people the opportunity to experience all styles and promotions, and the history of pro-wrestling (which I think is important for reflection and discussion).[/quote]

Didn't know that, ballet-like wrestling? :lol: Good thing you mentioned reflection and discussion as positives (makes sense to have smarter remarks, or "marks" :cool:) as that is basically what you just provided, some inside info

[quote name='Foo228']Didn't know that, ballet-like wrestling? :lol: Good thing you mentioned reflection and discussion as positives (makes sense to have smarter remarks, or "marks" :cool:) as that is basically what you just provided, some inside info[/quote]

I know, I know: it sounds weird, but if you watch lucha libre (which is regularly aired on the Mexican channels), it becomes apparent. It's just very fluid with less hard impact moves.

And I'm just a nerd for pro-wrestling. It's one of those traits that is just unavoidable this far down the rabbit hole. :oops:

I love hearing the Houston crowd cheer Booker and boo Joe. :D
I hope Booker wins the match. It'd add more credibility to the title.

Sweet. As soon as I saw all refs/officials come out, I knew he was going to win.

What a coincidence. I got to thinking about Hassan for the last few days or so.

He was a solid wrestler and an interesting character who was just a victim of bad timing.

Hassan is really Italian right? I wonder why they didn't bring him back as a pizza joint owner or something. Maybe he was meant to be Santino since back then Santino was Boris. :lol:

He decided to quit and pursue an acting career instead of report back to developmental.

Anyway, does anybody know how to rip scenes from a DVD, as well as menu music?

I'm reading a recap of the TNA Title match's ending and I can't even begin to make sense of it - it reminds me of what Jarrett had a billion fake Stings come out at Halloween Havoc (including Chris Harris as one). Very, very confusing - hopefully seeing the match later will lessen my confusion. These kinds of finishes do nothing but hurt the credibility of a title, and TNA really can't afford to make that title look like a prop after killing it for the past year with bad booking - aside from the Lockdown match - the only match where that title seemed to mean a thing.

The Great American Bash: The same PPV that the Taker not only "killed off" Muhammad Hassan, but also "mortally injured" Paul Bearer the year before.

TNA: Like I mentioned on the other thread- Even though it's pretty entertaining, they are recycling stuff like Shark Boy's Stone Cold Gimmick, The Black Machismo Gimmick and story line between him, Sonjay and Val (if you don't know it's like the Macho Man-Elizabeth wedding story before Jake "The Snake" Roberts crashed the party), and that ending for the PPV that people that showed up for it felt they got ripped off for the main event.

I feel sorry for the people who paid to attend or view Victory Road 2008. I enjoyed World X-Cup 2008, but the rest of the matches were WCW mid-card quality. I try to remain positive, as any competition is good for the pro-wrestling industry, but if TNA continues in this direction, they won't be around for long.

I've given up on TNA death predictions - they're the cockroach of wrestling - they'll just keep surviving, with their fanbase never really rising or falling in great numbers. I'm sure they'll die, but it'll be like WCW's death - after anyone really cares about the company.

Victory Road had the potential to be very good, and instead basically peaked with the opener, which, at 27 minutes in length, was probably the longest match in about a year in TNA. Very exciting opener, although it began to feel like an ROH match after a while, and not in a good way, as I became numb to seeing so many dazzling moves that could've finished the match just get 2 counts.

The rest of the was just a bunch of stuff - the tag title match had nothing going for it beyond the fan strapping segments, the women's match wasn't as good as their Impact match, and I question having Taylor pin Kong twice in under a week (TV continuity-wise) given that doing that EVER is supposed to be a big deal. At least they're fluke wins, but that really doesn't help the knockouts belt out, as it's held by a champion who only wins via flukes.

Dutt-Lethal was perfectly fine, but not as good as their previous PPV match (I believe at BFG '07). The finish worked at making Dutt seem more like a snake, although I could've done without them showing Val every five seconds, as that took away from the match a bit. Good character development for Lethal in this match, as he was far more serious here than he's been in past matches - in keeping with the new, wild Savage-esque character.

The ultimate X was nothing special aside from the ending, which was insane and didn't really look good because Kaz grazed Daivari. I'm disappointed in TNA's director, as he missed the big fall for Kaz called "a bad landing" on commentary, but we did get a shot of Daivari's beard instead. Brilliant move...

I applaud TNA for letting the World X Cup winners get a long celebration - they often cut anything remotely celebratory short in favor of some sort of skit, and they didn't do that here...too much. I'll cut them a bit of slack for just cutting during the middle of the dance - at least they showed part of it.

The Booker skits started off great with the house roaming one - I'm a bit bothered by TNA once again showing those cheap replicas of WWE belts on their programming, although at least they didn't linger on them here like they did with the Team 3D's legacy usage of them before.

Booker had a bunch of great one liners here, while the PWA school one worked at making Booker out to be a caring guy, with the restaurant one showing him as a smart businessman who will do anything to make a buck, while the golf one showed off more of his character's arrogant side.

Good stuff overall, and they did a good job of making the TNA World title seem important with Booker selling it as THE crowning achievement in his life (which, after seeing all of the other ones in theses segments, carried more weight to it).

These segments really should've aired on Impact, although they worked well at selling this as definitely being a show in Houston (along with the space center and skyline-showcase segments) - it was nice to see them make an effort at making the location of the show seem meaningful, which they sorta did with BFG '07 being in Atlanta, but didn't do it to this degree, or as well. It's a good thing they did such a good job there, because the finish of the show easily could kill Houston as a money-drawing market for TNA.

The six-man full metal mayhem was the second-best match on the show. Trigg's commentary was fantastic, with "Why is Kurt using chairs? He's so much better at using ladders!" "Kurt's a great father, even though his wife's a whore." being two of my favorites.

Having Christian wear a shirt to cover up his back due to the "glass table" spot was smart, as it sold the injury (which played into the match a bit when Angle, showing his Trigg-approved ladder expertise, hit him with a belly to belly onto one) - and it also worked at preventing them from having to show that Christian's back wasn't at all hurt by the "glass" table spot, which was evident on the show it aired when the towel was shown pre-bloodied, while his back was never shown cut up once.

Given that they didn't even show the end results of the fan polling, they should've just announced this as a full metal mayhem match and not even wasted time building up the fan interaction element, as them not announcing what kind of match it was isn't going to do this show's buyrate any favors.

The match itself wasn't a classic, but was mostly a satisfying spotfest. The doomsday through a table, 3D off the steps through the table on the floor, and Olympic slam off the ladder were pretty innovative, although I'm not sure if they were worth it given that Devon seemingly got injured due to the doomsday device spot, and Angle's neck landing on the slightly-vertical part of the table on the Olympic slam spot was a scary sight.

The main event was built up very well with the pre-entrance backstage walking segments and video packages highlighting the wrestlers - these, combined with the Booker T videos earlier really made this feel like more than just the main event of a B-level PPV.

The match itself though wasn't anything special. It was slightly memorable because both guys bled, which means something with Booker as he rarely bleeds.

The ending was simply dreadful, with Joe knocking out one ref with a single light punch, and the other with a low blow and a DDT, leading to Sting coming out, trying to calm him down, then being disrespected by Joe, resulting him beating Joe senseless with a ball bat, leading to Booker getting a visual pin with Sharmell counting the fall. Somehow, out of all this, Booker's the heel (seemingly).

The insane finish didn't help anyone - Joe came off like a bitch, Sting looked like a bully, and Booker came off like a coward. It was a memorable ending, but not a particularly good one. They did such a good job of building up this match tonight, and this finish really shit all over that good work.

Screens -

Alright guys, here are my pics from last night...

I was haveing issues with my flash so I didn't have as many good pics as I could have. The only person I missed was Kelly Kelly. Fink called an intermission and I was waiting in line for a drink when she came on. Damn. Other than than I had a blast.

Jamie Noble vs. Charlie Hass

Layla

Santino vs. D'Lo next

Kofi vs. Paul Burchill

Chuck Palumbo vs. London

Micke vs. Beth

Cade vs. HBK

Batista vs. Punk

Cena and Cryme Tyme vs. Kane, Rhodes and DiBiase

The end.

TV doesn't acurately describe just how friggin' huge Batista's muscles are. Also, Katie Lea looks WAY hotter in person than on TV, I just wish I had gotten some better pics of her and Layla.

Biggest pop was for HBK by far.

Highlight of the night was D'Lo for me though. Man that was awesome.

Someone had a "JBL is Poopy" sign and Cryme Tyme pointed it out. Funny stuff.

Results...

Jamie Noble d. Charlie Haas

D'Lo d. Santino

Kofi d. Burchill

London d. Palumbo

Mickie d. Beth

HBK d. Cade

Punk d. Batista in a no DQ match

CTC d. Kane, Roades, and DiBiase

[quote name='Purple Flames']That seems to be your standard house show: all or mostly faces getting the wins.

Glad to see you had a good time.[/quote]

Yeah, I had fun. I only had about 4 hours of sleep last night, but its all good. It was nice to just watch wrestling without thinking about storylines and whatnot.

[quote name='vlv723']The Great American Bash: The same PPV that the Taker not only "killed off" Muhammad Hassan, but also "mortally injured" Paul Bearer the year before.[/quote]

Speaking of Paul Bearer, seems he's keeping quiet on his website if this "is he dead or alive" means Bearer coming back to manage Kane. Seems WWE also omitted that cause, even though the SD after GAB mention he was still alive, the article on their site says that he might be dead.

As for TNA's main event, I'm guessing Booker will be stripped of the title thursday due to what happened. Then there will be a triple threat announced for their next PPV between Booker, Sting & Joe. I'm pretty sure they did the same crap sometime in the past year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... use the 'Kane goes crazy' angle and revert him back to his old outfit, complete with mask. Make up some BS about him getting so lost in his own mind that regressed or something. Anything.

It's not as if Kane speaking has *helped* the character at all, so just make him an unstoppable monster again. Maskless Kane just isn't threatening, no matter how much the announcers play him up.

[quote name='007']I've said it before and I'll say it again... use the 'Kane goes crazy' angle and revert him back to his old outfit, complete with mask. Make up some BS about him getting so lost in his own mind that regressed or something. Anything.

It's not as if Kane speaking has *helped* the character at all, so just make him an unstoppable monster again. Maskless Kane just isn't threatening, no matter how much the announcers play him up.[/quote]

You're onto something there. They can work an angle where he goes nuts and tries to torch somebody again, but it goes wrong and he really does (kayfabe) burn his face.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']So fast? Cade's been with WWE for over half a decade.[/QUOTE]

I see both of your points - he has been w/ WWE for years, but also the jump from the "nobody ever, ever, EVER bought a ticket to see Lance Cade" era (which lasted from his beginning to about two weeks ago) to "top-level-heel foil/bodyguard/protege dude" was quite fast.

Fast in the sense that he was, no matter how many tag belts he held, a curtain jerker at best.

Let me put it this way: supposing Lance Cade left WWE, how many weeks of programming would you have to watch before you noticed he was gone? (assuming the dirt sheets/internet do not pick up on the story, of course).

I watched Taker "kill" Hassan live :) Best part of an otherwise forgettable PPV.

I agree he would've been an awesome US champ / World Champ heel. I remember thinking around that time that a Benoit / Hassan World title feud would've been so $$$

Well, before all of the controversy, they had him booked to win over the Undertaker, and going up against Batista for the World title at Summerslam.

Perhaps I should make a "BRING BACK MUHAMMAD HASSAN!" sign to take with me to the GAB.

In a strange twist, deceased rapper 2Pac is leading WWE.com's poll asking fans who Kane was referring to last Monday on Raw. 2Pac leads the poll with 43.81% of the vote. Undertaker (31.35%) and Paul Bearer (10.55%) trail behind. Yesterday, 2Pac had under 10% of the vote.

:rofl:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']

Results...

Punk d. Batista in a no DQ match

[/QUOTE]

How exactly did this go down? I've been wondering how they're going to handle Punk vs. Batista. On one hand, if Punk beats him cleanly he'll get a decent amout of credibility as champ. However, it won't make Batista look as strong and we all know how big and scary they want THE ANIMAL to appear.

If they let Punk get a cheap pin on Batista or go with a DQ Punk doesn't look as good... or Batista could win and Punk could just be the means to get the belt back on RAW.

[quote name='Purple Flames']BAH GAWD! IT'S BOTCHAMANIA 48:[/quote]

- Oh Gorilla, I miss you.

- Man, people need to stop with the bowling ball spot.

- It's about time Maffew covered the Goldberg Breaking Glass spot. What a goof.

- Heel Cena = Better Cena

- Coachman sucks.

- "Why are they ringing the bell?" Oh Heenan, I miss you especially.

- And I remember the JR "headset outtage" tirade. Fun times. :lol:

[quote name='xcoax']How exactly did this go down? I've been wondering how they're going to handle Punk vs. Batista. On one hand, if Punk beats him cleanly he'll get a decent amout of credibility as champ. However, it won't make Batista look as strong and we all know how big and scary they want THE ANIMAL to appear.

If they let Punk get a cheap pin on Batista or go with a DQ Punk doesn't look as good... or Batista could win and Punk could just be the means to get the belt back on RAW.[/quote]

if it went anything like the house show in lexington last friday, the fight for a while and the end comes with a chair in the ring and punk pulling the chair in the way when batista tries to spear him. punk pins him, batista gets pissed and batista bombs punk.

[quote name='cdubb1605']if it went anything like the house show in lexington last friday, the fight for a while and the end comes with a chair in the ring and punk pulling the chair in the way when batista tries to spear him. punk pins him, batista gets pissed and batista bombs punk.[/quote]

Heel Punk? Yes, please. :drool:

Plus, Raw needs more heels, and Batista doesn't have enough personality to go over as a heel.

In honor of this topic... a graphic I made a while back...

hassanbitch.jpg

[quote name='xcoax']How exactly did this go down? I've been wondering how they're going to handle Punk vs. Batista. On one hand, if Punk beats him cleanly he'll get a decent amout of credibility as champ. However, it won't make Batista look as strong and we all know how big and scary they want THE ANIMAL to appear.

If they let Punk get a cheap pin on Batista or go with a DQ Punk doesn't look as good... or Batista could win and Punk could just be the means to get the belt back on RAW.[/quote]

[quote name='cdubb1605']if it went anything like the house show in lexington last friday, the fight for a while and the end comes with a chair in the ring and punk pulling the chair in the way when batista tries to spear him. punk pins him, batista gets pissed and batista bombs punk.[/quote]

That is how it happened in Roanoke last night, minus the Batista Bomb. At least, I don't remember seeing one.

Hey professional wrestlers. You know that thing you do where you sit there and obviously wait for a guy to run at you from the ring so you can catch him and then fall? Stop doing that. It's over done. It's fucking retarded.

Can't wait for RAW tonight.

[quote name='GTzerO']Hey professional wrestlers. You know that thing you do where you sit there and obviously wait for a guy to run at you from the ring so you can catch him and then fall? Stop doing that. It's over done. It's fucking retarded.

Can't wait for RAW tonight.[/quote]

You don't like dive spots? :whistle2:s

[quote name='chasemurata']You don't like dive spots? :whistle2:s[/quote]

I can't stand them. It feels as if they're in ever match that has more than 2 people in it and it bothers me to see the person hold their hands out.

From that shoot that was in the other thread, Masters seems like a pretty cool guy. Turns out wrestling was his passion ever since his childhood and he got big specifically to make it in the WWE. He's working in different places around the world now because he realizes that he was just picked because of his body and he's trying to learn different things and get more experience. He implied that his release was because of the steroid scandal at the time and that he was actually clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back