The Munchables ~ Bandai/Namco

[quote name='SuperPhillip']That's because there literally aren't any unbelievably.

I wrote up my own: http://superphillipcentral.blogspot.com/2009/05/munchables-wii-review.html[/QUOTE]

Agree with your review... the game is indeed quite good. We played it all weekend.

It's weird because the game should have been out last week but most stores will not start putting it out until the June 2nd. Gamestop B&M was the worst, they had no idea when they were going to get it - and my son asked at -3- stores. They could not find it in the system or said they had it in stock but they could not locate it. Best Buy.com said it would not start shipping until June 2nd and that it was not available at B&M... but they had it on the store shelves Saturday. Target said they will not have it until the 2nd and they are charging 39.99 for it... strange.

Nice review SuperPhillip! I didn't know anything about this game. Now it's on my radar as it sounds pretty fun. Wish it had true coop play, though.

Gamestop.com does have the game online, but nowhere within 100 miles of me in-store. Probably they aren't carrying it in-store at all. I'm wondering if this game will go missing before long given the treatment it's getting.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74046

[quote name='InvaderZim']Price drop - $19.99 at game stop. Even less if you can find it used.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up. I've got this game on my radar, but have no cash (or time) for games this month.

Shame that it hasn't been well received because it looks really good to me! On the other hand, I guess you can't complain about picking it up after a price-drop.

I saw this at GS and was, like, WTF? I'd never heard of it. I just instantly dismissed it as shovelware - I didn't even notice the Namco Bandai logo or I would have checked it out a bit more.

By the way, there are a ton of reviews up now:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/muchables

Not overwhelmingly positive, but the little blurbs on metacritic all seem to be better than the scores they go with. I'll read more later. It sounds like the type of game me and my 6 year-old could have a blast with (and yeah, he loves Katamari and Noby Noby Boy and all that other weird stuff).

And damn, a GS near home has one in stock used and there's that 20% off coupon this week :cry:. I'm sad because I'm 2500 miles from home till Friday...

No used copies within 100 miles of me according to the GS website. I might buy it new, but I have other stuff to play for now.

My son is loving this game. This was a great game to pick up for him, he is 8. I am enjoying it also. I am surprised at how much he loves it.

[quote name='crunchewy']No used copies within 100 miles of me according to the GS website. [/QUOTE]

Not surprising, since not many people bought the game in the first place

There's still one used copy within 100 miles of my house. When I get home this weekend I may try to snag that. It isn't as great given the Wii coupon is now expired, but $16.19 is still better than $19.99 considering I'll end up with a gutted copy anyway (most likely) if I buy it new. But then again, I can get it for much less hassle new (can go to the closest GS instead of one 15 miles further away for the used copy).

Otherwise, though, I did manage to make good use of the 20% off coupon this week. I got complete copies of Deadly Creatures (in pretty good shape) for $12.59 and Klonoa (near mint) for $17.49. Lots of Wii goodness to play with my son once I add Munchables to the mix (and we are also playing Dokapon Kingdom which is another excellent overlooked game). Who says there are no decent third-party games for the Wii? Dumbasses, that's who.

I don't tend to remember which game developers make what games, unless I've played many games from them and love them. Anyhow, when I sat down and started playing The Munchables, the first thought that went through my head was, "This really IS like Katamari Damacy." Then I looked online and realized that the developer also makes Katamari, and I felt silly for not knowing.

Anyhow, the game is fun and wonky. It's definitely got that same Katamari feel, where you can spend ten minutes or so playing a level and be done, if you like. The visuals are bright and cheerful, with a goofy storyline peppered on, but the controls are easy and The Munchable you control responds well.

My PC gamer fiance even got in on the act, donning my Scribblenauts hat to amuse me, and busted through four levels. He liked it too.

[quote name='utopianmachine']... Anyhow, the game is fun and wonky. It's definitely got that same Katamari feel, where you can spend ten minutes or so playing a level and be done, if you like. ...[/QUOTE]

Cool to hear other people enjoying this game too!

The comment from utopianmachine is a great description of the game. A lot of "official" review scores seemed low because the game was short and easy, but I don't mind that combination when it's also fun and weirdly hilarious (especially at the current sub-$20 price point, although I paid $25 for mine).

The Munchables is a cool little title, and definitely overlooked by a lot of people. Oh well... just another 3rd party hidden gem for Wii.
:D

bread's done
Back