The NFL 2012-13 Season Thread - Super Bowl XLVII is the Harbaugh Bowl!

[quote name='Burning Karma']You and me both. Hell, if they wait long enough, they'll need to start looking for a number 1 receiver. :lol:[/QUOTE]

89 had four guys on him that game because he is so nasty. He should be a hall of famer when he retires but I think his lack of a QB is going to hurt him.

What's with this whole "adderall" is a performance enhancing drug...I'm not denying that on a very minimal level it is...but isn't it overstepping the boundaries of why these anti-doping committees were set up... seems like they are just power hungry...let the kids play

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Do you get credit for click through's from ESPN? That is the most misleading post I have seen in a long time.[/QUOTE]

He probably does. I thought it was Robert Griffin III there for a bit.

[quote name='gamingcamelcliente']What's with this whole "adderall" is a performance enhancing drug...I'm not denying that on a very minimal level it is...but isn't it overstepping the boundaries of why these anti-doping committees were set up... seems like they are just power hungry...let the kids play[/QUOTE]

The NFL never releases what drug it was, so the player will almost always say it was "Adderall" even if it was something else. Why? To get reactions exactly like yours: "Adderall? What's the big deal?" Make no mistake, the vast majority of guys who say they got busted for Adderall, it was really something worse.

It's an easy excuse, I'd imagine it's rarely true, especially considering the NFL allows Adderall with a prescription. These guys aren't that dumb.

[quote name='PimpLimp']In the end, for all the people bitching earlier about the NFL showing "weak" primetime games, this is probably going to be one of the best MNF games of the season.[/QUOTE]

This one along with the Pats/49ers game the following week on SNF... yeah finally some good competitive games in prime time. Sorry I wasn't even counting the Pats/Jets game from a few weeks ago going into it as "competitive" since I knew my Pats were going to tear the Jets apart.

[quote name='DestroVega']Only 3 seasons too late![/QUOTE]

No shit. Took em long enough. It's like the Chargers loved failure.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']89 had four guys on him that game because he is so nasty. He should be a hall of famer when he retires but I think his lack of a QB is going to hurt him.[/QUOTE]

If Tim Brown and Cris Carter get denied, I'd be less than optimistic at his chances.

If Brown and Carter aren't somehow both enshrined by the time Steve Smith is Hall eligible, first ballot is out of the question. Also, Smith is going to potentially be in contention with the likes of Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison; a WR logjam similar to what has kept Brown and Carter out of the Hall.

[quote name='ced']If Brown and Carter aren't somehow both enshrined by the time Steve Smith is Hall eligible, first ballot is out of the question. Also, Smith is going to potentially be in contention with the likes of Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison; a WR logjam similar to what has kept Brown and Carter out of the Hall.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty easy to get into the NFL HOF in camparson to the MLB HOF but they are going to need to start judging WRs a lot stricter based on how much more of a passing league it has become based on the rule changes.

I don't see Smith getting in before Brown, Carter, Harrison, Owens, or Moss. Depending on when Reggie Wayne calls it in, him too. Come to think of it, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt will be eligible soon too. Not looking good for him.

[quote name='RealDeals']If Tim Brown and Cris Carter get denied, I'd be less than optimistic at his chances.[/QUOTE]

Cris Carter sucked in the playoffs and spent the second half of his career with Randy Moss. Randall Cunningham Jeff George and Culpeper were all better qbs than delhomme.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Cris Carter sucked in the playoffs and spent the second half of his career with Randy Moss. Randall Cunningham Jeff George and Culpeper were all better qbs than delhomme.[/QUOTE]
... Did you seriously just cite playing with JEFF GEORGE as a reason why CC SHOULDN'T be in the HOF? :lol: Don't you think Carter made George better and not vice-versa? Besides, they were only together for 10 games so that point is moot. I know Delhomme sucked near the end, but he was very respectable for a stretch in Carolina. Smith also has a pretty solid up-and-coming QB slinging it to him now. I get you wanna see your guy get in, but let's be real now. :hot: I can relate, too many Broncos greats have been denied or had entry delayed because of Cleveland's disdain for them. See Randy Gradishar, Terrell Davis (if Gale Sayers gets in under the argument of 'he would have been in if not for injuries, Davis should get in. He was dominant), Shannon Sharpe not getting in until the THIRD try despite retiring as the greatest TE ever. And how is playing alongside Moss in his prime bad? Carter wasn't a scrub along for the ride, he had two 1000 yd and double-digit TD receiving seasons in 98 and 99 playing with Moss. Moss has often cited that time as a learning experience for him. Carter was also a central piece of that (at the time) record-breaking Vikings offense too. There's close to 7 or 8 guys that should go in before Smith gets considered.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do the Cleveland Browns have to do with Broncos players not getting in right away? Members of the media for each city picks who does or doesn't get in each year.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What do the Cleveland Browns have to do with Broncos players not getting in right away? Members of the media for each city picks who does or doesn't get in each year.[/QUOTE]
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame07/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=2958207

If not for a few years ago, Elway would have been the only Bronco HOFer. Given their history and track record, that seems a little absurd. It may not be significant, but I've heard rumors that some Broncos players were pre-disposed not to get in because of the many times they'd burned the Browns. May not have any creedence to it, but I still wonder. I should clarify, I don't believe that was the biggest point (if at all) of why those guys didn't get in, much of that I'd attribute to never really getting nationally recognized despite playing on a level similar to other HOFers.

[quote name='RealDeals']... Did you seriously just cite playing with JEFF GEORGE as a reason why CC SHOULDN'T be in the HOF? :lol: Don't you think Carter made George better and not vice-versa? Besides, they were only together for 10 games so that point is moot. I know Delhomme sucked near the end, but he was very respectable for a stretch in Carolina. Smith also has a pretty solid up-and-coming QB slinging it to him now. I get you wanna see your guy get in, but let's be real now. :hot: I can relate, too many Broncos greats have been denied or had entry delayed because of Cleveland's disdain for them. See Randy Gradishar, Terrell Davis (if Gale Sayers gets in under the argument of 'he would have been in if not for injuries, Davis should get in. He was dominant), Shannon Sharpe not getting in until the THIRD try despite retiring as the greatest TE ever. And how is playing alongside Moss in his prime bad? Carter wasn't a scrub along for the ride, he had two 1000 yd and double-digit TD receiving seasons in 98 and 99 playing with Moss. Moss has often cited that time as a learning experience for him. Carter was also a central piece of that (at the time) record-breaking Vikings offense too. There's close to 7 or 8 guys that should go in before Smith gets considered.[/QUOTE]

Jeff George has one of the strongest arms ever. When moss is spreading the field it's pretty easy to be open.

Maybe I am biased because of what Randy did to Dallas.

Nowhere does that suggest Cleveland is the reason for Broncos not making the Hall of Fame. The team didn't have a great relationship with the people that run the Hall itself until Mike Holmgren ran the team and made that a priority. I really don't see any way that there's a bias for all of the voters when only one person that votes for the committee is affiliated with the team, so I'll chalk that up as a nonsense conspiracy.

Four of the remaining 15 are Broncos (Davis, Atwater, Mecklenberg, and Lynch). I'd agree with the notion that you also suggested where they don't have a ton of household names outside of players they've had since the 80s (Elway, Mecklenberg, Atwater, Rod Smith, Terrell Davis, Sharpe, Zimmerman, Nalen, Champ Bailey). There aren't many well-known players from before then, which would be the choice of the senior committee that gets just two selections a year to make that even harder. They'll get more players now because those guys have retired and are now up for enshrinement. Elway retired way earlier than the rest of his teammates, so that's one reason for the disparity there.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Jeff George has one of the strongest arms ever. When moss is spreading the field it's pretty easy to be open.

Maybe I am biased because of what Randy did to Dallas.[/QUOTE]

Again, Carter was dominant even before Moss. Even more so considering he didn't have to share as much. The fact he stayed relevant at an old age and adjusted is more credit to how great he was. And please, stop implying George was anything less than a complete bust. Doesn't matter how strong an arm he had when he was an egomaniac and team-cancer. Delhomme over him every day.The most notable thing about CC is how good of a TD receiver he was. Besides Jerry Rice and perhaps Michael Irvin, he's the one guy I'd throw the ball to for 6, awesome route-runner and legendary hands.

Great game for the Browns, though Weeden still needs to work on not making those cocky throws into tight coverage that could easily be INTs if the DB holds onto the ball. The defense has stepped up since the 80 yard TD run by Jamaal Charles by containing the running game and taking out the one decent WR option for Brady Quinn in Bowe.

Trent Richardson's tied the Browns franchise record for rushing TDs as a rookie, which was held by Jim Brown. I'm sure Jim Brown's happy to see he was wrong about Trent. He hasn't done well as far as yards or yards per carry, but that's not a surprise against a good defensive line.

It's great to see that Josh Gordon and Greg Little have settled into their #1/#2 roles, which has been a huge problem for the passing game over the past few years when nobody's stepped up to give the WR core some stability.

I get the feeling that Pat Shurmur could run the table to go 8-8 and he still couldn't save his job. It feels like the second half of this season is a big advertisement to potential new coaches.

If Tom Heckert and Dick Jauron aren't able to stay on after whatever changes they'll make, then I don't understand what more the new management could want from them. Heckert's done a fantastic job turning over the roster from a slow, old team to one that's young, faster, more talented and they're getting better with each game. Dick Jauron's done a fantastic job with the defense since he came in and having all of these rookies to work with makes it more impressive to see how they've performed sooner than you'd expect.

I don't know how Bobby Three Sticks was still able to play after that nasty hit to his knee, but that's extremely impressive. He's not getting Byron Leftwich-level of support from his team though.

Edit: Now Mike Shanahan doesn't look so crazy for the RGIII/Kirk Cousins picks in the draft.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Glad my Panthers could get the big win against the Falcons![/QUOTE]And it only took Cam Newton having to run 116 yards to do it lol.

[quote name='Superstar']HUGE win for the Cowboys today![/QUOTE]

Wins by the Redskins, Seahawks, and Giants diminish it. I was really hoping they would gain some ground on other teams after today.

Ravens fall to 9-4. If Houston beats NE, they'd be 9-4 too and if Denver beat the Ravens they'd be in excellent place to lock up the second seed with the Browns and Chiefs to finish.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Wins by the Redskins, Seahawks, and Giants diminish it. I was really hoping they would gain some ground on other teams after today.[/QUOTE]

It's still a big win. A loss from the skins next week and a win for the Cowboys could make this victory count even more. There are a lot of scenarios though.

[quote name='Superstar']It's still a big win. A loss from the skins next week and a win for the Cowboys could make this victory count even more. There are a lot of scenarios though.[/QUOTE]

Giants still have to play the Falcons and the Ravens too, so there is a chance they can slip. RG3 being banged up could also hurt the Redskins chances.

I think I am a little down on the Boys because I am waiting for December to do them in like it has in past years. Plus they just keep losing players to IR.

I'm surprised that the Redskins won. I'm even more surprised that it was by the hand of KC1, not RG3. I'm also surprised because it was the first time the Redskins beat the Ravens in the regular season.

But even before this week's game took place, I was more concerned about next week's game at Cleveland. The Browns are playing somewhat decently right now, and this is one of those games looks to me like a typical 'Skins play down to the opposing team's level' games. They've done it so many times in the past and I just can't help but look at it and see the same thing happening again on Sunday.

Happy the Panthers won too. They wanted it, Atlanta didn't. fuck the Cowboys though.

[quote name='GUNNM']lol How was that an illegal hit on Dez? fucking joke[/QUOTE]

That was a disgrace. I think one of the announcers even said at this point the defense just has to allow him to catch the ball. I was trying to explain to my 5 year old why there was a penalty and all I could come up with was "because the refs are blind."

So pretty much everyone in the NFC won yesterday which was disappointing, other than the Giants of course. ;)

Ravens fire offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and replace him with QB coach Kim Caldwell.

Congrats Ravens fans.

[quote name='KingBroly']Ravens fire offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and replace him with QB coach Kim Caldwell.

Congrats Ravens fans.[/QUOTE]

Wow really? At 9-4? Oh no you've lost 2 games in a row for the first time in THREE YEARS. Time to panic! LOL. The Ravens are total frauds but still, why now?

[quote name='dafoomie']Nah, go right ahead and leave Hernandez wide open at the goal line.[/QUOTE]

I pity anyone who went ahead and rolled with the Texans defense.

bread's done
Back