The NFL 2012-13 Season Thread - Super Bowl XLVII is the Harbaugh Bowl!

[quote name='confoosious']Maybe Schiano would have left the field.[/QUOTE]

Or called a blitz...

@dandakich: According to former Player rep Joe Staysniak the players can walk w/o violating CBA if they feel safety being compromised..lets go players

After watching the play several times, I still don't understand why the GB defender didn't attempt to knock it down since that's what they teach you to do. Seems like he wanted to improve his stats or something.

[quote name='AJVtony831']After watching the play several times, I still don't understand why the GB defender didn't attempt to knock it down since that's what they teach you to do. Seems like he wanted to improve his stats or something.[/QUOTE]

Knocking it down can be a dangerous proposition, especially in and around the endzone. Case in point: what happened in the Titans/Lions game.

After watching the play several times, I still don't understand why the GB defender didn't attempt to knock it down since that's what they teach you to do. Seems like he wanted to improve his stats or something.
To echo everyone else, I would agree that his best bet was to go for the pick. He had control of the ball, brought it into his body, and did everything right in that regard. The one ref just was retarded, tried copying the other ref's arm pattern, and called a touchdown rather than a touchback.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Official Statement from the NFL backs the refs:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...s-decision-to-not-overturn-seahawks-touchdown

I personally won't watch anymore games this year until we get the real refs back. I'll keep up with fantasy football using my espn app, or on their site but will not be watching any televised games. I know it doesn't change much in their eyes, but it is the only thing I can do in a silent protest.[/QUOTE]

So you're supporting the regular refs and thus unions, huh? Interesting...

Look at a number of games this week that had dangerous hits that weren't called; things that would typically be fined offenses that will continue to happen. Ed Reed had one that comes to mind as well as the DHB injury. The referees have an obligation to the players to help ensure their safety - half of the Seattle sacks last night came because the GB receivers were getting the shit kicked out of them downfield without interference calls.

[quote name='JJSP']Look at a number of games this week that had dangerous hits that weren't called; things that would typically be fined offenses that will continue to happen. Ed Reed had one that comes to mind as well as the DHB injury. The referees have an obligation to the players to help ensure their safety - half of the Seattle sacks last night came because the GB receivers were getting the shit kicked out of them downfield without interference calls.[/QUOTE]

heyward-bey was dam near paralyzed (looked like it for a second until he put his arm up to the fans as he was being carted off)....does anyone give a shit??? ALMOST PARALYZED!!!!...no flag....no call...

so to all these fans that are throwing fits over a bad call at the end of a game last night...get over it...move on...

actually its somewhat exciting to watch small brawls almost break out after each play...you can smell the male testosterone in the air...the nfl hired these guys who werent wanted in division 3, arena league, lingerie league, high school, jr. college or whatever...what do u expect???....

if anything....now you have to beat 2 teams...ur opponent and the refs...

Man it was a double-dip of aggravation for me, as I'm a fan of the Packers and the Raiders.

I was pretty concerned when Heyward-bey wasn't moving for what seemed like 5-10 minutes. When he gave the thumbs up, that was a huge sigh of relief...

I was over the GB/SEA game in less than 30 mins, due to the fact that they should have never allowed themselves to be in that position in the first place. I already had a bad feeling the moment Benson fumbled the ball near the goal line...they were OWNING that 2nd half and just flattened out right at the end. Still though....the NFL actually backing up that call is just.....atrocious......

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Knocking it down can be a dangerous proposition, especially in and around the endzone. Case in point: what happened in the Titans/Lions game.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, what Akeem Ayers did can hardly be called "knocking the ball down". He jumped up with his hand open and his fingers extended. If you're even going to go for the ball, violently punch at it. Don't pitty patter that shit back up into the air. Otherwise you're better off just getting in somebody's way and letting the ball hit you in the back.

Also, all the people calling the games more "entertaining" with these refs makes me sick. You know what else is called "sports entertainment"? Professional wrestling. If you're that big of a drama queen that you can't enjoy sports without having intrigue and wrongdoing, then go watch a fucking soap opera. Real sports are supposed to be about fair competition. The garbage they're giving us every week now is a disgrace to the game.

ibcwjidShbI1j4.gif

dvqyxj.jpg

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So you're supporting the regular refs and thus unions, huh? Interesting...[/QUOTE]

I think the issue here is more than the NFL hired replacements too late in order to train them properly, thus creating a problem with the product on the field. It'd be the same thing if they had replacement players come in off the streets two days before the season started.

The replacement referees have gotten worse as the season has gone on, not better. That's a problem.

Chris mortinson reports the deal with the refs is done and they could be officiating this weekend. He hasn't confirmed it. He heard it from one reliable source.

I knew once Goddell was in on the sessions the owners had told him to get a deal done. I expect this done by tonight, scab ref send off tomorrow night one last hurrah, hopefully they don't blow that game.

Everyone's forgetting how bad the regular officials have been the last few years too. Of course, not AS bad, but still.

Hey, maybe that was the plan all along... if you're a conspiracy theorist type...

yeah, once the refs come back expect to see tons of stories about how "the refs need preseason too" and other excuses for all of the horrible calls we will still see on a weekly basis. However, as long as they get the factual basics right (down and distance, challenges remaining, etc.) it will be a huge improvement.

A crazy thought I just had, but once the original referees come back, won't they still be replacement refs themselves? Because they'll be replacing the current refs. :razz:

[quote name='Javery']yeah, once the refs come back expect to see tons of stories about how "the refs need preseason too" and other excuses for all of the horrible calls we will still see on a weekly basis. However, as long as they get the factual basics right (down and distance, challenges remaining, etc.) it will be a huge improvement.[/QUOTE]

The games being 30 mins shorter will be enough of an improvement.

Everyone can blow a call, but these guys didn't know procedures, and in some cases, rules all together. That's just not gonna cut it.

As a Packerfan I am quite worried about the next game. I think the Saints are more hungry for a win so they will be a bit more daring in the play calling.

[quote name='packerfan10']As a Packerfan I am quite worried about the next game. I think the Saints are more hungry for a win so they will be a bit more daring in the play calling.[/QUOTE]

I figured the Pack would go in there and beat down the Saints. They would take out their aggression on them from the Monday night game. I'm going against a guy who has Aaron Rodgers and the Packers Defense in fantasy football, and I've already committed to the fact that I'm going to lose this week just because of those two factors.

[quote name='packerfan10']As a Packerfan I am quite worried about the next game. I think the Saints are more hungry for a win so they will be a bit more daring in the play calling.[/QUOTE]
Both teams are pretty hungry for a win right now...so this game is gonna be unpredictable. Entertaining and nerve-wracking at the same time haha

And just as I expected, the Eagles woke up, and the Giants take the loss. 2-5 start coming for the Giants with Cleveland, San Fran and Washington their next 3 games.

Gotta love how everyone was whining about the replacement refs yet the real ones shit the bed almost as bad today. That Green Bay Saints game was atrocious and I'm glad GB won so they could stop whining LOLsaints. Scam Buston letting the Fraudcons come back was hilarious. Hell i don't even know which was funnier, Cam fumbling giving ATL a chance or the flagrant holding that happened during that 50+ yard heave that allowed ATL to get into field goal range in the first place.

Props to Redskins for having 2 players injure themselves in fucking warm ups lmao

Jesus those flags were killing me at the end and Andy Reid why the hell are you calling time out?

I hate when coaches do that time out bullshit on field goals at the end of games. Most of the time the dude misses the first kick and nails the second attempt. I couldn't believe we pulled that shit. So dumb and almost cost us the game.

The Eagles dodged a bullet but that def pass interference call on Asomugha was kinda sketchy in my opinion.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']And just as I expected, the Eagles woke up, and the Giants take the loss. 2-5 start coming for the Giants with Cleveland, San Fran and Washington their next 3 games.[/QUOTE]

Individual Team Matchups are important so 3-4.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Wilfork is such a beast.

wilfork-hit-9-30-12.gif
[/QUOTE]

Its refreshing to see nice form tackles. Not this, "Lets hit him as hard as I can and hope he goes down" crap a lot of players do nowadays.

great slate of games yesterday for sure, even though the Packers/Saints refs still had some VERY questionable calls. Still an improvement over the replacements though

[quote name='ShinSolidus']And just as I expected, the Eagles woke up, and the Giants take the loss. 2-5 start coming for the Giants with Cleveland, San Fran and Washington their next 3 games.[/QUOTE]

No way that happens in a million years. The Giants and Eagles will be 3-2 following next week. Also, if that FG went like 2 more yards the Giants would have won but neither team would really be feeling any different about their chances today (other than the loss, which does suck).

Glad Chargers got back on track offensively after being manhandled by Atlanta last week. But the Chiefs put a horrid performance as i have seen in a while. 6 turnovers, no confidence, no leadership. Just ugly in every way.

49ers defense shined in all aspects shutting down the Jets. I loved the surprise offensive plays using Kaepernick on a wildcat and getting the TD. Anything that's going to spread our offense is a plus.

Hey Jets fans: Is it Tebow time yet? :D

[quote name='Viol8tor']Glad Chargers got back on track offensively after being manhandled by Atlanta last week. But the Chiefs put a horrid performance as i have seen in a while. 6 turnovers, no confidence, no leadership. Just ugly in every way.[/QUOTE]

As a Chiefs fan, that may very well have been the most embarrassing and disappointing game I've seen from them ever. 6 turnovers, and came *this* close to losing even more.

[quote name='4thHorseman']As a Chiefs fan, that may very well have been the most embarrassing and disappointing game I've seen from them ever. 6 turnovers, and came *this* close to losing even more.[/QUOTE]

This is true...but hey, at least you can take solace in the fact that you're not a Raiders fan. They're an absolute mess also. At least KC has two weapons in Bowe and Charles....OAK has DMC.

Watching Raider games is so difficult. I mean, is it so hard to pass on 3rd and 4?

[quote name='Viol8tor']I'll be rooting for you against Broncos, Raiders.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. If Chiefs aren't going to put in the effort to win the AFC West, I'm hoping the Chargers win out over Broncos and Raiders. I may dislike Rivers, but nowhere near as much as the Broncos and Raiders.

This is true...but hey, at least you can take solace in the fact that you're not a Raiders fan. They're an absolute mess also. At least KC has two weapons in Bowe and Charles....OAK has DMC.

Watching Raider games is so difficult. I mean, is it so hard to pass on 3rd and 4?

My major problem with the Chiefs is the refusal to shake it up in the QB position. We just get the hand-me-downs for the most part, and it's frustrating being the team in the NFL that has gone the longest without drafting a QB. Cassel seems like a decent enough guy, but jeezus, he just isn't consistent for shit and is lucky to pull off a pass that's further than 15 yards downfield.

But at least they aren't the Raiders.

[quote name='GamerDude316']great slate of games yesterday for sure, even though the Packers/Saints refs still had some VERY questionable calls. Still an improvement over the replacements though[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but there was just no way the ref saw who landed on the ball during the Darren Sproles fumble because, just like everyone else watching the play, he probably didn't know the ball was out until people started piling on top of each other.

Looking for the Bears to absolutely wreck Dallas this week.

[quote name='renique46']Gotta love how everyone was whining about the replacement refs yet the real ones shit the bed almost as bad today. That Green Bay Saints game was atrocious and I'm glad GB won so they could stop whining LOLsaints. Scam Buston letting the Fraudcons come back was hilarious. Hell i don't even know which was funnier, Cam fumbling giving ATL a chance or the flagrant holding that happened during that 50+ yard heave that allowed ATL to get into field goal range in the first place.

Props to Redskins for having 2 players injure themselves in fucking warm ups lmao[/QUOTE]

The Patriots Bills game was well officiated. Game was smooth they kept it under control. I didn't notice the refs one time

bread's done
Back