The Nickelback formula?

Osh Kosh B'iotch

CAGiversary!
I try not to rip on what people enjoy listening too, but this I found pretty funny.

[quote name='Nintendorks']Some internet genius took Nickelback's first horrible "hit," and mixed it with Nickelback's newest awful "hit." By "mixed" I mean one shitty song plays in the left speaker, and the other ear-bleeding excuse for rock plays in the right speaker. What a surprise, they are almost EXACTLY THE SAME. It's uncanny, sad, and hilarious at the same time.
[/quote]

MP3 and full article: http://www.nintendorks.com/brandon/archives/000475.php

I personally like thier music. I don't care if it's done to a formula if the formula produces good results. Consider that John Fogerty was brought into court for sounding too much like himself.

HAHAHAAHAAA

That is some awesome stuff, i personally don't care for most of this new rock stuff that is coming out and i just sent that to my friends that do and they got mad at me.

Wow. They both reach all their choruses at the same time. I have to wonder if they were edited by the guy who put them together to make that happen. If not it certainly adds to my theory that Nickelback's songs are produced by a computer.

[quote name='Matrix2k3']But then again Shakespear had the same formula in all his sonnets...[/quote]

you've cought on.

Ive heard this before, and it kinda pissed me off. It reminded me of a band i liked...whose cd's were good...but sounded WAY too much alike. Godsmack, anyone?

Does anyone remember the thread with the Windows noises beat? I'm not very good with the thread search tool, so could someone provide me with a link to it?

LMAO that is so funny. I've heard those songs before but hadn't realized they are nearly the exact same :D

I heard the second song on the radio during lunch today and thought "hey, that sounds familiar..."

Still, it's nothing new. A lot of bands/artists have done it. See Godsmack. See Metallica. See Bon Jovi. See (goes way way way back) Fats Domino.

[quote name='"PsyClerk"']I heard the second song on the radio during lunch today and thought "hey, that sounds familiar..."

Still, it's nothing new. A lot of bands/artists have done it. See Godsmack. See Metallica. See Bon Jovi. See (goes way way way back) Fats Domino.[/quote]-

Hey - Metallica Rocks - so shut up, before I slap you on the back of your head and knock your dick-shaped Popsicle out.

that's actually really, really funny.

i have to pose a question to the people that say they like nickelback: how can you still say you like the band after hearing this?

it kind of shows how ridiculous the radio has gotten.

Still, it's nothing new. A lot of bands/artists have done it. See Godsmack. See Metallica. See Bon Jovi. See (goes way way way back) Fats Domino

Chuck berry, U2, the supremes, Pjhil collins, any group from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, motown, etc. All pop, or popular, music is based on a formula. A simple pattern that the simple mind can become accustomed to and recognize. ABABC, 12 bar blues, 3 chord rock and roll.

Music is nothing new, every sequence, every note, every arrangement, every progression has all been done before. Anything new is just a cut and paste of what's come previously.

I abandoned popular music years ago for jazz. A genre that defies definition, and the only one whose ambassadors can turn pure emotion and thought into a sequence of vibrations to convey an idea or notion without resorting to the formulaic, preprogrammed, robotic chants so commonly vomitted from self-proclaimed geniuses in todays 'pop' music prison.

[quote name='bmulligan']Music is nothing new, every sequence, every note, every arrangement, every progression has all been done before. Anything new is just a cut and paste of what's come previously.[/quote]

What about the works of artists such as Aphex Twin?

[quote name='chompers02']Hey - Metallica Rocks - so shut up, before I slap you on the back of your head and knock your dick-shaped Popsicle out.[/quote]

Oh no mommy, the rhino is getting too close to the car!

Sorry, n00b, you're gonna have to do a LOT better than that.

/summons JimmieMac to school this bitch

nothing formulaic or programmed in the electronica genre.........

I enjoy lots of types of music including electronic, but I don't respect it as music like that played by a human being in realtime. I can respect it as a work of art, but not as music. Aphex is like phillip glass on extacy, a little too repetitive for me, and soul-less.

[quote name='bmulligan']Aphex is like phillip glass on extacy, a little too repetitive for me, and soul-less.[/quote]

That was my whole point. Who cares if everything's been played before in pop music? The alternatives, like becoming a Warp Records back catalog collecting bloop-monger or a run of the mill jazz wanker, are less appealing than being able to turn on the radio in your car and bob your head while you drive to most people. Ain't no shame in it.

Holy CRAP this is hillarious, but yeah it's obvious they used the same tempo and style for these songs. but it's far from new, whitney houston, mariah carrie, and I'm CERTAIN some of the other grunge bands inthe past have done it.

when you;re under contract to produce a certain number of albums a month you;ll be suprised how quickly you start to recycle stuff.

[quote name='bmulligan']something tells me you do a lot of head-bobbing...[/quote]

My tastes lean towards underground-ish and/or alternative hip-hop (Def Jux's various acts, Jedi Mind Tricks, DJ Shadow, Blackalicious, etc.) and Ninja Tune's roster (Amon Tobin especially.)

[quote name='evilmax17']Hilarious. But, this remix is actually kind of good...[/quote]

I know what you mean. I dont care much for them, but if they come on the radio I will listen.

[quote name='chompers02'][quote name='PsyClerk']I heard the second song on the radio during lunch today and thought "hey, that sounds familiar..."

Still, it's nothing new. A lot of bands/artists have done it. See Godsmack. See Metallica. See Bon Jovi. See (goes way way way back) Fats Domino.[/quote]-

Hey - Metallica Rocks - so shut up, before I slap you on the back of your head and knock your dick-shaped Popsicle out.[/quote]

Please control your hostility or I will be forced to turn you into a newt!

Jerry Bruckheimer's films are all the same way too. Run them all side by side and they'll hit all the same transitions at the same time give or take a minute.

The newer of the two songs sounds sped up. It's kinda stupid anyway, I'd wager that you could name a band, any band, and I could take two of their songs and do the same thing.

I'm no huge Nickleback fan, mind you, but I just find it funny how ppl like to rip on popular music just for the sake that it's popular. Then 9 times outta 10, the "underground" stuff they listen to is even worse. ;)

[quote name='argyle']The newer of the two songs sounds sped up. It's kinda stupid anyway, I'd wager that you could name a band, any band, and I could take two of their songs and do the same thing.[/quote]

i'd imagine that you could probably do that with two different bands/artists, because we all know it's pretty common practice for people to rip each other off, but for a band to actually rip themselves off is quite an achievement. plus there's the fact that they are both singles and popular and everything. but we have to remember this is nickelback.

i don't know if any of you ever read the story, but someone posted it where i work a year or two ago. it was when the nickelback proteges "theory of a dead man" were signed and their cd was being released, and they had an interview with the singer of the band. basically, he said something to the effect of "yeah, we used to make music that we liked and thought was good, but then chad (the singer of nickelback) came along and told us how to write songs for the radio." i tried to find a link to the interview but failed miserably.

i'm not really arguing or anything, i just think it's funny.

ive never heard nickleback before this, but even if the newer song is sped up, it would still be the same formula, quiet, loud quiet, for roughly the same percentage of time.

[quote name='argyle']I'm no huge Nickleback fan, mind you, but I just find it funny how ppl like to rip on popular music just for the sake that it's popular. Then 9 times outta 10, the "underground" stuff they listen to is even worse. ;)[/quote]

Agreed. I don't listen to much popular music or what passes for it because I don't listen to the radio (at least not music radio, mainly talk radio). I'm always seeing people on the internet talk about how obscure group A or extremely obscure group B is light years better than what's on the radio. Then I listen to group A and B and think 'what a load of crap!'

'Popular' music wouldn't be popular if a lot of people didn't like it. This is just another example of how being cynical and jaded has become chic, especially on the net.

i listen to popular, but also some underground, but its actually good. they are mc chris and rammstein, and both are incredibly good. a lot of popular does suck though.

Man, as soon as that mp3 started playing, i reached for my radio dial then realized there was no radio in front of me to change the station. My honed tiger-like instincts and quickness of changing the station when nickelback comes on the radio have backfired.

i dont hate popular music, i hate shallow music, most popular music is shallow, while i dont think music has to be anything amazing to be good, it should be origional or have a good message, but artistic music is good too.

could someone direct-link me to the mp3? The filter at work blocks nintendorks.com. Anything with "game" in it, in fact.

I listened to this last night at home and wanted to pass it around the office for a good laugh.

bread's done
Back