The "Nobody Watches Wrestling Anymore" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bornrunnin31']so is DJ Gabriel a face?[/quote]

Yes, in the same way Rocky Maivia was.

That was a decent title match. I loved all the close falls and the back and forth between Hardy and Swagger, and the ending was pretty innovative too.

[quote name='JJSP']You can add Sgt. Slaughter and Ron Simmons to the "future endeavors" club.[/QUOTE]

Those are both pretty surprising.

Really thinking about it, though, they aren't. WWE needs to cut operating costs and the easiest way is to ditch people who (and this is somewhat of a theme recently) have been with the company for a long time and, assumably, make a ton of money because of it.

Think about how long Slaughter has been employed... the man had to have been making WAY more than he was worth, basically by default.

It's why this round of cuts is more interesting than others, since bigger names might go. The only worrisome thing is that this means that the veterans are no longer running the backstage area... which could be good or bad, really.

Yes. We certainly know how Ron Simmons reacted.

You heard it hear first: Sgt. Slaughter will feud with Sting over the TNA championship. :lol:

did yall know gail kim is 31, and about to be 32????

wow....

[quote name='strongpimphand']did yall know gail kim is 31, and about to be 32????

wow....[/QUOTE]
I would still do dirty, dirty things to her.

[quote name='strongpimphand']did yall know gail kim is 31, and about to be 32????

wow....[/quote]

That's not as shocking as the fact that Gene Snitsky turns 39 today(14th). I had no idea he was that old.

[quote name='Purple Flames']You know, it's nice to see that despite Triple H's planet-sized pull backstage, he's only won Rumble once thus far.[/QUOTE]I initially read this as "Triple H's planet-sized package" and did a double-take.

I've also sat back and lurked in these threads (they usually put a smile on my face) as I still consider myself a wrestling fan although due to lack of time I find it hard to watch a lot of the shows, whether it be WWE, TNA, or whatever. The ones I have, like many of you, I find myself speeding through a majority of the show, looking for a good fight and I find it hard to believe a lot of the "non-wrestling related storylines" (maybe it's because I'm older but I still am convinced that more than half of what goes on in the ring is real, so...)

I would love to get back into wrestling but I may only find that possible if I go back 10 years as '99 - '02 seemed to be the last time I remember having a hard time waiting until next Monday (Raw..duh). And yes, I realize I could go back farther.

Also, I didn't like him too much then, but D'Lo Brown!?!? He had a lot going for him...the leg drop, the frog splash, the SkyHigh, the never too ripped upper body...OH YOU BETTER RECOGNIZE! I wouldn't mind watching him again. Time to break out the tapes!

[quote name='danjris']Also, I didn't like him too much then, but D'Lo Brown!?!? the never too ripped upper body[/QUOTE]
You kiddin' me? He had abs of steel!

...steel chest protector, that is. ;)

I'm really scared 'cause Mr. Paul Levesque can actually win the Rumble this year, either he wins it or wins the Elimination Chamber at NWO. Main eventing WM. fuck!!!

What's the be scared of? Are you scared of the sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening?

No?

So why are you afraid of Triple H main eventing Wrestlemania? Can you conceive of any possible scenario where he wouldn't?

[quote name='mykevermin']What's the be scared of? Are you scared of the sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening?

No?

So why are you afraid of Triple H main eventing Wrestlemania? Can you conceive of any possible scenario where he wouldn't?[/quote]

Yes you're right man, the sun rising in the morning is beautiful. ;)

Levesque's 'Mania record:

WM 12 vs Ultimate Warrior
L

WM 13 vs Goldust
W

WWE European Championship WM 14 vs Owen Hart
W

WM 15 vs Kane
L

WWE Heavyweight Championship

WM 16 vs Rock vs Big Show vs Mick Foley
W

WM 17 vs Undertaker
L

WWE Heavyweight Championship WM 18 vs Chris Jericho
W

World Heavyweight Championship WM 19 vs Booker T
W

World Heavyweight Championship WM 20vs Chris Benoit

vs Shawn Michaels
L

World Heavyweight Championship WM 21vs Batista
L

WWE Heavyweight Championship WM 22vs John Cena
L

WM 23 Did not compete

WWE Heavyweight Championship WM24vs Randy Orton vs John Cena L

Out of 12 Wrestlemania matches, Overall record of: 5 wins 7 loses which 8 of those 12 matches were championship matches. Streak: 4 straight loses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. His last non-title match at WM was 8 fuckin' years ago. Like early-Bush years fuckin' long ago. And even that was against the Undertaker, which is a "main event match" to be honest.

So, yeah, if you count Triple H/ Undertaker as a "main event" match, Triple H has main evented every Wrestlemania (he's been able to work) of this fucking decade, and only one of them has not been a title match.

[quote name='mykevermin']C'mon. You know he'll win. It's him, Orton, or Undertaker.[/quote]

yeah and to anyone whos read the SD spoilers
seems like trips is joining hbk and benoit as the only people to enter as no 1 and win the whole fucking thing... course didnt they tease that a few years back when rey won

Rey was #2. Which is a semantic argument since being #1 doesn't mean you're working any harder than #2. But, hey, symbolism certainly matters.

[quote name='mykevermin']What's the be scared of? Are you scared of the sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening?

No?

So why are you afraid of Triple H main eventing Wrestlemania? Can you conceive of any possible scenario where he wouldn't?[/quote]

Quad tear #3. Then he and Dave can sit in rehab and have a little circle jerk about how great they are.

If Triple H
wins entering at #1 I'll be way too fucking pissed
Either way we know he's main eventing 'Mania one way or another so hopefully Orton does indeed wins it to sweeten up the Mania build up.
Please WWE I'm begging you not to make the Rumble winner the #30 entrant, 2 years in a row is fucking enough. Idk make it happen again 'till 2019 not in 2009.

Just once I'd love to see someone completely unexpected and out of the blue win the Rumble. Someone like MVP, Kendrick, or hell, even Santino would be a breath of fresh air just to throw a wrench into everything.

Anyone but the usual suspects for once.

Dreamer's deadline is not-so-coincidentally the day before One Night Stand, so I'm expecting to see him either give it one last shot and retire after losing at ONS or win the title just before ONS and lose it there, retiring.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Just once I'd love to see someone completely unexpected and out of the blue win the Rumble. Someone like MVP, Kendrick, or hell, even Santino would be a breath of fresh air just to throw a wrench into everything.

Anyone but the usual suspects for once.[/quote]

But the usual suspects are keeping WWE afloat, or something. I wish people like MVP, THEE Brian Kendrick, or Santino had a chance at winning the Royal Rumble and going on to main event WrestleMania. But, given how Money In The Bank now serves as a mid-card stepping stool, I highly-doubt it. I am pretty certain that Triple H is winning the Royal Rumble, or Edge. Orton's preoccupied with Legacy things, and Jericho can't compete in it. On SmackDown's side, Kozlov has no chance, but there is the Undertaker. When all else fails they toss the Deadman into the big picture...

Anyway--

A quote.

The early buyrate estimates are in for the 2008 Survivor Series pay-per-view, which featured the heavily hyped return of John Cena. As it turns out, Cena's return to the ring ended up drawing the lowest domestic figure in Survivor Series history with a grand total of 205,000 buys in North America. Overall, the show drew 326,000 buys. While the numbers are not final, the first estimates for last year's show drew 341,000 and 215,000 buys respectively, so they're well behind pace.

From a comparison standpoint, last year's show didn't even feature Cena as he was injured at the time, and it still ended up outdrawing this year's show featuring WWE's apparent poster boy. Last year's show featured a Hell in a Cell blow-off to the Batista vs. Undertaker feud, a match that had already headlined three pay-per-views as well as TVs during the year. The show also featured a Randy Orton vs. Shawn Michaels title match.

While it's wishful thinking to think WWE will ease back their push of Cena, I'm thinking wishfully. ;) :whistle2:(

So I started watching the Starrcade DVD today. The documentary part is interesting but I realized something that I've complained about for a long time. WWE videos constantly give away the results of the matches that are included with the documentary. For example, there's a chapter on the DVD about the dog collar match between Roddy Piper and Greg Valentine. As the match is discussed, the winner is revealed. So now, despite my best efforts, as I push through the matches on the set, I'll know the outcomes to a bunch of them that I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Oh well, I suppose I should've learned by now to watch the matches first and the documentary second. Aside from the spoilers, it seems like a good set. I think the matches are all complete barring the omission of entrances.

[quote name='Chase']But the usual suspects are keeping WWE afloat, or something. I wish people like MVP, THEE Brian Kendrick, or Santino had a chance at winning the Royal Rumble and going on to main event WrestleMania. But, given how Money In The Bank now serves as a mid-card stepping stool, I highly-doubt it. I am pretty certain that Triple H is winning the Royal Rumble, or Edge. Orton's preoccupied with Legacy things, and Jericho can't compete in it. On SmackDown's side, Kozlov has no chance, but there is the Undertaker. When all else fails they toss the Deadman into the big picture...[/QUOTE]This made me think of something. What if WWE moved the Money In The Bank match to one of the minor PPVs? It's become an unofficial Wrestlemania tradition at this point, but it's safe to say that Wrestlemania doesn't "need" that match in order to remain significant. Any non-big-4 PPV could benefit from having a special theme - perhaps they should donate MITB to a different PPV, and build the show around that!

[quote name='BustaUppa']it's safe to say that Wrestlemania doesn't "need" that match in order to remain significant.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't WM24 $60 PPV, $70 HD PPV? I think it should include everything it has and fuckin' then some for that price. Then again, I haven't ordered a WM since WM20. And probably fewer than 10 PPVs since then.

[quote name='BustaUppa']This made me think of something. What if WWE moved the Money In The Bank match to one of the minor PPVs? It's become an unofficial Wrestlemania tradition at this point, but it's safe to say that Wrestlemania doesn't "need" that match in order to remain significant. Any non-big-4 PPV could benefit from having a special theme - perhaps they should donate MITB to a different PPV, and build the show around that![/quote]
The only problem with that is that the WWE has no idea how to book the six random mid-carders they throw in that match and still get them the 'Mania payday. I think MITB match has become their version of TNA's Gauntlet match in an attempt to get as many guys on the show as possible so they get paid.

If you were booking MITB now using guys who are currently in the federation, who gets in?

I've got Kendrick, Matt Hardy, Helms, Rey, Kofi, and probably Kane again.

Holy crap.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/articles/8327862/9139662

SmackDown’s up-and-coming Superstar, Scotty Goldman, covers the WWE in his new Video Original series like a schmeer of Nova cream cheese covers a poppy-seed bagel – with bite.

“What’s Crackin’ with Scotty Goldman” premieres today as WWE.com’s newest “Kosher” series, featuring the titular Goldman kibitzing about recent happenings in WWE. Some of this Superstar’s matzo ball-flavored musings are sly, some are caustic and some are downright schmeer campaigns irreverent enough to make a rabbi blush. Oy! (WATCH)

To see what that Goldman mensch is kvetching about this week, watch WWE.com’s latest Video Original series, “What’s Crackin’ with Scotty Goldman.” Mazel tov!

And I don't mean "Holy Crap, they're doing something with Cabana," or, "Holy Crap, Scotty's wearing a bad-ass Big Daddy t-shirt." I mean "Holy Crap, could they be *any* more fucking insensitive or stereotypical with the beat-you-upside-the-head-level-of-Jewness of this?"

Not a particularly funny video, either.

[quote name='mykevermin']Holy crap.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/articles/8327862/9139662

And I don't mean "Holy Crap, they're doing something with Cabana," or, "Holy Crap, Scotty's wearing a bad-ass Big Daddy t-shirt." I mean "Holy Crap, could they be *any* more fucking insensitive or stereotypical with the beat-you-upside-the-head-level-of-Jewness of this?"

Not a particularly funny video, either.[/quote]
I just don't get why they're calling it "What's Crackin'?". Unless that's a thinly veiled "cracker" joke, it sounds like something Cryme Tyme should be involved with.

[quote name='mykevermin']Wasn't WM24 $60 PPV, $70 HD PPV? I think it should include everything it has and fuckin' then some for that price. Then again, I haven't ordered a WM since WM20. And probably fewer than 10 PPVs since then.[/QUOTE]A very valid point... ideally, though, I was thinking it could free up the ladder match gimmick for one of the main events. I've been wanting to see a SINGLES ladder match at a Wrestlemania for a while now. If you could drop that Jericho/HBK ladder match from last year into a Wrestlemania, it would fit right in!

[quote name='JJSP']The only problem with that is that the WWE has no idea how to book the six random mid-carders they throw in that match and still get them the 'Mania payday. I think MITB match has become their version of TNA's Gauntlet match in an attempt to get as many guys on the show as possible so they get paid.[/QUOTE]Also very true. I vastly prefer that to those wretched 4-way tag team matches they would throw together in the early '00s.

Also, I do like that "anything can happen" intrigue that the MITB adds to Wrestlemania. They still need to do that angle where the winner cashes it in on the same night!

Basically what I'm saying is... from a business perspective, I wonder if they should move the MITB. From a fan's perspective, I'm glad it's at WM! (I also wish they dropped to four PPV's a year, but that won't happen :whistle2:()

I see your point, and I certainly don't consider it a WM "tradition," per se. As a matter of fact, the Wrestlemanias I least recall consist of WM21, 22, and 23. Hardly remember a fuckin' thing about 'em. I recall Triple H dressed up like Conan The Barbarian and John Cena dressed like...um, well, he was dressed up. :lol:

But haven't they done MITB at three straight Wrestlemanias? I'd think that it's a tradition at this point. You'd think they don't want to be so predictable, but, hey, they've gotten a lot of mileage out of the Undertaker's WM winning streak. Who's he beating this year? HBK? Perhaps Vladimir Kozlov in a "we don't know what the fuck to do, so here's a cell match with Big Boss Man!" booking strategy?

I won't order WM this year. Just can't do it. Not for its price. I'll wait 8 weeks and buy the Blu Ray for $20. WWE couldn't put on a card that I'd pay $60 for. Or, rather, *wouldn't* put on a card I'd pay that much for.

WWE has a list of the top 25 managers of all time up. Disappointing to say the least in terms of WWE's constant revisionist history of professional wrestling.

On the list? Oliver Humperdink, Frenchy Martin (USA IS NOT OK!), Harvey Whippleman, and that Jason fucker from ECW (Jason Knight?).

Not on the list at all? Paul E Dangerously, Jim Cornette. I think I'm overlooking some other key players, but those are obscene to ignore.

Christ, the list couldn't be any worse if that Judge Jones fucker from ECW was on the list.

At this point, I understand that the MitB is to get six guys a WM payday, but I'd be fine if it went away. The whole 'you get a title shot' thing is getting a bit old and the only way to really freshen it up is to have the MitB winner LOSE the title shot. I thought they might do it with Punk, which I sort of wish they had, for all the good it did him. It's an interesting and entertaining match, but it now carries that expectation that the winner WILL be champion of something within a year. Sidenote: no more 'surprise matches' against already down opponents. Give it a rest for a few years.

Might just be me.

[quote name='007']At this point, I understand that the MitB is to get six guys a WM payday, but I'd be fine if it went away. The whole 'you get a title shot' thing is getting a bit old and the only way to really freshen it up is to have the MitB winner LOSE the title shot. I thought they might do it with Punk, which I sort of wish they had, for all the good it did him. It's an interesting and entertaining match, but it now carries that expectation that the winner WILL be champion of something within a year. Sidenote: no more 'surprise matches' against already down opponents. Give it a rest for a few years.

Might just be me.[/QUOTE]Agreed on the "surprise match" thing. The did it to perfection this year, so it's time for a different approach. I mean the success of the resulting title reign is surely debatable, but the actual "cashing in" moment with Punk was one of the more beautifully executed angles in recent memory. It really had that old-timey, exciting, "watch the internet implode" vibe to it.

I do think it's silly to have the MitB match OPEN the show though. I know they did that at WM24... possibly others too.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Wtf is with CAG and wrestling?[/QUOTE]
Oh, God. Not this shit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back