The "Now Playing" Review Thread

Shadowiii

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Thread title says it all. Post reviews about the games you are currently playing! Numbers? Letter grade? Nothing? I don't care, just review it! Let's hear what you think about what you are currently playing!

Dead Space

There are few games that come out that are really original, in fact I would dare to say the there AREN'T any 100% original games, they all take something from somebody else. Most games that steal stuff and try and add their own often end up far worse than the original (take Dark Sector or Conan, ugh).
Dead Space, though ripping off Resident Evil 4, Gears of War, and the Alien movies, is a shining contradiction to this assumption. Simply put, if you like any game that involves shooting, or any game that involves horror, you owe it to yourself to get this game.
The game itself is fantastic because it is so well polished in almost every way (I’ll talk about the exceptions later). The environments are vivid, thought out, and horrifyingly grotesque. You can tell the creators planned every room to scare or disturb you. The atmosphere in this game is fantastic, rivaling the best like Super Metroid and the Silent Hill games. It’s unnerving, tense, and very, very scary.
Still on details, it’s the small touches that make this game downright fantastic. First off, what everyone is talking about, is the fact there is no HUD at all. Your life is a bar on your back. Inventory, stores, everything is displayed as a hologram in front of you, and the game continues as you read it. There are only two or three cutscenes where you lose control, and those are legit (opening, ending, and a few where you get knocked over so you wouldn’t be able to move anyway). Ammo is displayed on a gun hologram, save points are holograms in the wall, etc. This may seem like a gimmick, but it is honestly a fantastic if subtle way to make the game even more intense. I once was sifting through my inventory trying to drop something when a monster leaped out and I didn’t see it until too late. Scared the piss out of me.
The attention to detail is throughout. When you go into a vacuum, there is no sound but your breathing and the vibrations of your suit when you shoot a weapon. I’ve always admired space game (or shows, like Firefly) where while you are in space there’s no sound. Realistic. Dead Space does a great job with this, giving the feeling of actually being in space. The zero G stuff is awesome too.
But a horror game wouldn’t be what it is without monsters, and Dead Space’s never fail to impress. They are horrible, awful mutations of people, babies (yes, babies), corpses, and more. They are very well rendered, fast, and scary as hell. Thank goodness they occasionally pause to find you, or they’d be near impossible to kill as they run faster than you and have one goal: to kill you gruesomely.
Oh yeah, this is an M rated game for a reason. It’s probably one of the goriest I’ve ever played, especially with the gameplay mechanic. You can’t kill these things by shooting off their heads (though you can try, it turns them into a furious monster of death). Instead, you have to blow them off limb by limb until they can’t get at you anymore. A simple mechanic, but it adds to the terror. Nothing scares the crap out of me like an enemy, after I blow it’s legs off, still crawling quickly to murder me. Not to mention if there’s groups they’ll “play dead” among the ones you killed, so when you run up to collect your loot they pop out and have their way with you. Very, very smart.
I can’t stress enough the immersion. It’s so well done…I can’t describe it. Very good.
There are a few things I didn’t like. First off, some of the puzzles/events are frustratingly hard or too subtle. If anyone’s played it they’ll remember that damn asteroid part, oh man. So bad. Actually there’s two of them, both suck. Second, the story is…kinda lame. I hate to say it, but even though it’s engrossing, it doesn’t culminate to anything amazing. It still works fine for a horror game, it’s just with such a high quality game around it, I expected more. Another thing is there is a pause button (At least in the PC version) which was downright stupid because you shouldn’t be able to pause, ever. Yeah, I know it sounds harsh, but it kinda ruins the experience.
The last thing that bothered me also was in Resident Evil 4, but it is a bit more in this game. As you near the end of the game, you are a complete badass, decked out with some serious mining equipment (or one of the…two actual guns), so most enemies are a cakewalk. The horror element is gone at this point, and it shows in the game. The environments become less scary, focusing more on how many enemies they can chuck at you. Resident Evil 4 did it too (in my opinion, the game went downhill ever since I went on the military base. Killing military men isn’t as scary as crazy normal people, I’m sorry), but it happens worse in this game. But it doesn’t fail to be fun, so I guess it still works.
Overall, if you have a next gen console or a good computer (or even a decent one, it has surprisingly low system requirements), you should get this game. It is seriously that fantastic, and I whole-heartedly support companies that will brave the waters with original titles (even retarded EA). This is seriously one of my favorite games ever, and probably the best Horror Title ever next to Resident Evil 4. It is a must buy, or at least rent the damn thing.

Fable II

Pretty far in:

Cons:

* Gameplay can be very simplistic. Do I really want to chop wood for 2 hours in an extremely simple mini-game in order to make some money or earn an achievement? Why is it so easy for me to simply mash the melee attack button and take a nap in order to win fights?

* Story and characters related to the main story are pretty weak. I can't say that I really give a crap about how the main story resovles or about the fates of anyone involved in it.

* Expressions. I mean I love farting and humping the air as much as the next guy but it gets old fast. Why do I have to sit around doing the same expressions over and over in order to make someone give me a gift or whatever? And why did they make it so difficult to get my wife to bone me? SHE IS MY DAMN WIFE (or at least she was until I killed her with my cleaver and child services took our daughter away).

* Enemy Variety and AI. Seriously, would it have been that hard to have more than 3 types of monster models and enemy types? As cool as the troll fights can be, they get old after the 5th one and in general most of the enemy AI is dumb as a box of bricks. They sit there and wait for you to mash them in the face and occasionally they might start blocking. Maybe. If the combat weren't so fun it would be a much bigger detriment.

* Interface and controls. This one is too big to even begin to list everything. It can be hard to line yourself up to face items or triggers you need to activate. The inventory screen kicks you out every time you use an item, forcing you to open and navigate through it over and over and over in order to use multiple items. Holding down buttons in combat doesnt always register if you do it too soon after a previous input causing nothing to happen. Your dog will sometimes get in your goddamn way when you're trying to swim around in cramped areas. Pressing "A" to jump off of stuff is fricken annoying. Blah, blah, blah, etc.

Pros:

* Gameplay can be very simplistic. You never really have to worry about getting confused or things getting too convulated. The simplicity of the many facets of gameplay are offset by the fact that there are so many options and different varieties of simple things to do. Tired of chopping wood to make money? That's fine, there are many other jobs and activities you can do to earn cash. Tired of just winning fights by mashing the melee attack button? Fine, you can throw in ranged attacks, a variety of spells as well as all the flourish and variations on melee/ranged attacks that exist. Combat is simple yet varied and it makes encounters get more and more entertaining as the game goes on and your options open up.

* Graphics and environments. Some of it can be a bit linear and the towns aren't exactly that unique and sprawling but for the most part, everything looks and feels great.

* Very immersive and lots to do. Every time I go to do a quest I wind up marrying someone, having a kid, finding some treasure in the woods, buying a new house, working at the blacksmith, buying some new pants and then doing a side quest I ran into. By the time I get back to what I was originally intending to do, it might be hours later and I say this all in a good way. The distractions are fun and fulfilling.

Conclusion So Far:

I started with average expectations and initially the game did feel pretty average. However, once you get past and used to the quirks (of which there are many) the game really begins to find a groove and come into its own. I am enjoying it considerably more than I ever expected. Not perfect by any means but well worth your money if you enjoy the type of Action/RPG where you can belch at your wife, bring another women over for a threesome and then kill them both right before you pay a fine to the town guard to keep it all hush hush.

bread's done
Back