The Office - Season 5 - Discussion [possible spoilers]

[quote name='shinryuu']Anyone notice the green screen effect they gave Michael at the end? That was weird and unnecessary.[/quote]

Ya that seemed very awkward. Didn't like it at all.

"Why is he driving so slow?"
"If he stays below 5mph, he's silent"

Dude, this show is TERRIBLE now. It's like a really bad drama now... ugh, I don't even laugh anymore.

Really bad. And I used to be a HUGE office fan... each episode gets worse and worse. (for me the show ended after Season 3)

I'm sorry I did such a whorish job filling out this form.

Andy still doesn't know that Angela's having an affair with Dwight. And it's been seventeen days. I mean eventually, he'll figure it out. When their kids have giant heads and beet-stained teeth. But right now it's just... awkward.

I feel the need. The need for tweed!

Sasquatches are the strongest animal on the planet so fine call me a Sasquatch!

You're not a man! You don't know how to take care of her! All you do is dress fancy! And sing! Lalalalalala! What does that mean! You can't even protect her!

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Dude, this show is TERRIBLE now. It's like a really bad drama now... ugh, I don't even laugh anymore.

Really bad. And I used to be a HUGE office fan... each episode gets worse and worse. (for me the show ended after Season 3)[/quote]

I wouldn't go that far, but it's quality has definitely dropped since season 3. It's still enjoyable, but not constantly laugh out loud funny like it had been.

It makes me laugh at the people who, after the second season, already had crowned it better than "Seinfeld."

I think not.

The Office is still good. The second season is probably the best, but Season 5 isn't THAT much worse. The Surplus episode was pretty good for example.

Have you all seen the UK version of The Office? Which version do you all like better?

[quote name='ananag112']The Office is still good. The second season is probably the best, but Season 5 isn't THAT much worse. The Surplus episode was pretty good for example.

Have you all seen the UK version of The Office? Which version do you all like better?[/QUOTE]

Responses to that question are likely to be biased toward which version a person saw first.

I'm split between the two. The UK version didn't go beyond two seasons plus a special so they had little time to screw it up. This is unlike the US version which has seen quality decline as the series continues. On the flip side, the US version has had a wealth of classic material as a result, even when it was mixed into some bad episodes.

to be fair, almost everything falls off after the 3rd installment...

movies
TV
Musical artists...

I think because the first time you see/hear something, it's unique. The second time you see growth. The 3rd time you see interesting dilemmas and such.

...the 4th time you start to want more...and the 5th you want less...and so forth....

I just don't think it was necessary making this show go over 3 seasons, the Jim and Pam shit is done, no-one cares about them anymore. They tried to make it interesting with the Dwight vs Andy thing, but both relationships were laughable so I could hardly care who gets who...

The show has definitely lost all charm. If you're interested in a similar type of awkward humor and haven't watched Flight of the Concords, I recommend watching it! Watch the entire first season (like the office, it's sort of dumb at first) it's great though! And the second season has just started.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkNessBear']I just don't think it was necessary making this show go over 3 seasons, the Jim and Pam shit is done, no-one cares about them anymore. [/quote]

This is entirely false. I know several women who watch this show FOR the Jim/Pam stuff. The writers know what they're doing--men aren't the only ones who watch.

[quote name='Plinko']This is entirely false. I know several women who watch this show FOR the Jim/Pam stuff. The writers know what they're doing--men aren't the only ones who watch.[/quote]

I think he may be referring to the writing about Jim/Pam in general....since JimBob popped the question there hasn't been a significant role for either on the show...they've both kinda gone to the wayside....shit Oscar has more lines now than Pam does....

^ I agree, I used to watch for Jim/Pam, but they are never really featured in any episodes anymore. I keep watching, hoping they'll come back around. That's not to say that I hate the show without them. I thought the last episode was pretty good, it at least kept me entertained. It's not my main focus of the show, but I'm pretty interested in what's going to happen between Andy/Angela and Dwight/Angela now.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I think he may be referring to the writing about Jim/Pam in general....since JimBob popped the question there hasn't been a significant role for either on the show...they've both kinda gone to the wayside....shit Oscar has more lines now than Pam does....[/quote]

Ya, that's what I mean.

Their story has seemed to have ended...

[quote name='squid']^ I agree, I used to watch for Jim/Pam, but they are never really featured in any episodes anymore. I keep watching, hoping they'll come back around. That's not to say that I hate the show without them. I thought the last episode was pretty good, it at least kept me entertained. It's not my main focus of the show, but I'm pretty interested in what's going to happen between Andy/Angela and Dwight/Angela now.[/quote]

I guess, but I never really watched it as a drama. If you like drama's and are getting it from a comedy, than I think it's time for you to try a real drama (Desperate Housewives for example). I watched the Office for the awkward humor, not the "relationships".

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ya, that's what I mean.

Their story has seemed to have ended...

[/quote]

I can see that.

Looks like it's about to pick up again, though:
Ausiello is reporting that the Feb. 1 post-Super Bowl episode deals with Pam's parents having marital problems which starts giving her doubts about how her and Jim will do together.

@discussion at hand:

If you've hated the series since post-season 2, why bother wasting all that time watching all the episodes, not enjoying them, complaining about them to friends, posting your disapproval, and more or less not being entertained for a great while?

Here's a hint: stop watching. Difficult to do, I know.

@tonight's episode:

I don't want to bang a painting.

[quote name='Lice']Plinko, thats just restarting the annoying drama...

I just miss the way the humor was written in season 2[/quote]

Unfortunately, the show isn't written for just us. They have a nice following of women who really enjoy this type of thing, so we just have to deal with it.

I really enjoyed tonight's episode and thought it did a great job of furthering Michael's character development.

It's great to see Michael getting some success and I'm going to enjoy watching him struggle with the fact that his success is most likely going to come by going against his heart. It will be interesting to see what wins out in the end.

Swank's not hot. Tonight's episode explored Michael's human side, i'm interested to see how this will impact his future with the company, but the rest of the episode kinda sucked.

i've had this internal debate before...and i thought she was ugly as sin!

i wouldn't even fuck

i probably wouldn't even watch her get wet.....

but, i'd spend her money!

That was the best cold open ever, and the Stanley montage was great.

"Boy, did you lose your mind, 'cause I'll help ya find it!"

Meredith, you've slept with so many men, you're starting to look like one.

[quote name='Scorch']
"Boy, did you lose your mind, 'cause I'll help ya find it!"[/QUOTE]

One of my favorite lines in all of Office-dom.

anyone have a link to a site that has all the season 5 episodes? I need one with all the episodes since I'm starting from episode 1 of Season 5 and Hulu/NBC.com have onyl recent episodes... any help would be great! I miss watching this!

[quote name='lordwow']Netflix has them on instant watch...[/quote]

really? time to go watch... huge thx. didn't realize they had recent seasons... :bouncy:

EDIT: I don't see it. only the DVD comes up not the show. can't see it instantly unless someone has a link >_

Ah I misunderstood. No, season 5's early ones are not. I have to keep them saved on my DVR to rewatch them. I'm having the same issue trying to catch up on 30 Rock

[quote name='tivo']What a terrible episode. It made as much sense as Tyler Perry's House of Payne.[/quote]

Terrible episode? I thought it was great. :D

Dwight cutting the face off the dummy and doing the Hannibal Lecter thing is in my top 5 office moments. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.

[quote name='Trakan']Whoa, did anyone see the preview for next week's episode?

Karen is pregnant.
[/QUOTE]

no surprise there, i think this was predicted by a lot of us in the season 3 thread.

Not to derail the thread, but if you like The Office and have HBO, you should really check out Flight of the Conchords. Season two just started. It's about two guys from New Zealand living in NYC, poverty-striken, as they try to make a name for themselves as their band (FotC). They have a manager named Murray who is the New Zealand tourist consulate, who tries to get them gigs.

Throughout the show, they play songs that they've written as an actual band (since they exist as such in real life, usually through comedy circuits). This runs a huge gamut of types, from reggae to indie rock to crooning to dance music.

It's absolutely hilarious, and tonight's episode (which is the third of season two) was completely hysterical.

Just a heads up.

[quote name='Strell']Not to derail the thread, but if you like The Office and have HBO, you should really check out Flight of the Conchords. Season two just started. It's about two guys from New Zealand living in NYC, poverty-striken, as they try to make a name for themselves as their band (FotC). They have a manager named Murray who is the New Zealand tourist consulate, who tries to get them gigs.

Throughout the show, they play songs that they've written as an actual band (since they exist as such in real life, usually through comedy circuits). This runs a huge gamut of types, from reggae to indie rock to crooning to dance music.

It's absolutely hilarious, and tonight's episode (which is the third of season two) was completely hysterical.

Just a heads up.[/QUOTE]

ill second fotc, its a great show.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']no surprise there, i think this was predicted by a lot of us in the season 3 thread.[/quote]
I am horrible with keeping up with the dates in this show, but wow, that means, spoilers I guess,
Jim proposed within 6-9 months?
. It didn't seem like it was that little of time.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']no surprise there, i think this was predicted by a lot of us in the season 3 thread.[/quote]

I think my prediction was that she'd be Ryan's replacement as Michael's boss. Maybe that will be true as well.

[quote name='moojuice']I am horrible with keeping up with the dates in this show, but wow, that means, spoilers I guess,
Jim proposed within 6-9 months?
. It didn't seem like it was that little of time.[/QUOTE]

yeah, its a very small window, it almost seems like the time frame doesnt work. and maybe it doesnt, guess well have to wait to find out.

[quote name='Bezerker']I think my prediction was that she'd be Ryan's replacement as Michael's boss. Maybe that will be true as well.[/QUOTE]

that could be possible too, because she just transfered within the company so maybe shell be coming back in one way or another to ruffle jim and pams feathers.

bread's done
Back