The Official 2007/2008 NBA thread

[quote name='Nelo Ice']WOW HOW WAS THAT A FLAGRANT 2!?!? :roll:[/quote]

Because they had them out like candy now a days.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']WOW HOW WAS THAT A FLAGRANT 2!?!? :roll:[/QUOTE]
Didn't see the play, but did he go down after marginal contact and grab his face? Because LeBron drew a flagrant out of nothing that way last night.

[quote name='dafoomie']Didn't see the play, but did he go down after marginal contact and grab his face? Because LeBron drew a flagrant out of nothing that way last night.[/quote]

price was going up hard and ronny went in for the block the reason price was bleeding was cuz he hit the floor not ronnys block attempt

Kobe's the most anti-clutch player who's been labeled a 'clutch' player i've ever seen.

Besides that Phoenix game 2 seasons ago, that's the only shot I can really say he's come up 'clutch'. He plays great in the fourth quarter no doubt, but I love Kobe as a player, it's just he doesn't have that glaring moment where he's hit the game winner when it was a huge game.

Just curious--are either traveling or lane violations called in the NBA still?

Today's Lakers/Jazz game was a prime example of how the NBA is the worst-officiated sport in the world. How offensive players can literally shove defenders down with their free hand and also get a foul called in their favor is beyond me.

The flagrant call against the Lakers was garbage as well. All the guy did was go up to block the shot--the offensive player's momentum caused the whole thing.

[quote name='Plinko']Just curious--are either traveling or lane violations called in the NBA still?

Today's Lakers/Jazz game was a prime example of how the NBA is the worst-officiated sport in the world. How offensive players can literally shove defenders down with their free hand and also get a foul called in their favor is beyond me.

The flagrant call against the Lakers was garbage as well. All the guy did was go up to block the shot--the offensive player's momentum caused the whole thing.[/quote]

I am telling you. David Devil Stern wants the NBA to be a family game where puppies and kittens come to hang out and eat rainbows and shit 4 leaf clovers.

All of his rules changes for a more exciting ticket selling game as completely taken out the need for an Allen Iverson or even an old school Hakim O type player. Taken out all hope of a genuine modern day rivalry. With the D-wades, Ginoblis, Brons, Horrys flopping their way to victory and phantom fouls. While defenders are forced to basically just be fans and watch. It doesnt help that Stern re-enforces these tactic with his blatant favoritisms. Suspending certain players while looking the other way so that superstars can continue to put asses in the seats. Instead of being strict on the rules.

I personally think when they banned hand checking it was the death of the last real defender. Because it a sense it stole the "strength" factor away from a defender. You cant body up a guy with the ball anymore. You cant push a weaker PF/C out of the blocks anymore without a foul. Someone tried to make the point earlier that Bron drives very controlled. Which is semi true. But the problem you run into is......what can you do against a 6 8 250 pound monster running 100mph at you and the NBA only allows you to defend with your chest?

Bron might not be a good driver if he was met chest to chest in the air everytime by a strong PF/C.

Do you guys remember how pathetic it was watching Dekimbe Motumbo (sp) try to guard shaq on the lakers a while ago? DM is a very good defender who played in the old days. Basically Stern gave him no hope of defending against shaq. Watch this clip. Notice that shaq his just allowed to abuse a defender. Elbowing him in the face, shoulder charging his stomach. Where as a defender cant even put a god damn hand on an offensive player? Its complete bullshit.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3FXLyNFew[/media]Honestly. What do you do against that? What do you do when you have to keep your hands close your your body and basically try to push someone like shaq out of the lane with only your chest?

Here is another great one that most havent seen.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=u7cHuPlFclE&feature=related[/media]

[quote name='dafoomie']Didn't see the play, but did he go down after marginal contact and grab his face? Because LeBron drew a flagrant out of nothing that way last night.[/quote]

Define "nothing". That foul on LeBron was a foul, just not a flagrant. The guy went to grab LeBron and take the foul before LeBron could get into the act of shooting and because he put so little effort into it LeBron ran right through his arms and he got LeBron around the neck. It was a foul, and it looked worse than a normal foul does. I only agree about it not being a flagrant because the defender obviously wasn't trying to do what he did.

All star players get ticky-tack calls. It's nothing new.

[quote name='Filbert']Define "nothing". That foul on LeBron was a foul, just not a flagrant. The guy went to grab LeBron and take the foul before LeBron could get into the act of shooting and because he put so little effort into it LeBron ran right through his arms and he got LeBron around the neck. It was a foul, and it looked worse than a normal foul does. I only agree about it not being a flagrant because the defender obviously wasn't trying to do what he did.

All star players get ticky-tack calls. It's nothing new.[/QUOTE]
It was definitely a foul, but his Emmy nominated performance is what drew the flagrant.

TD, Parker and Ginobili finally all showed up and the hornets were crushed. Now back to N.O. to see if the visiting team is finally going to win.

The Lakers & Hornets were fine winning in blowout games but when it gets close, they choke and fall under pressure.

Hope both series go 7.

[quote name='unforeseen']The Lakers & Hornets were fine winning in blowout games but when it gets close, they choke and fall under pressure.

Hope both series go 7.[/quote]
Not the Lakers dude, in Game 1 they got dominated in rebounding (I think 2:1) but they still pulled off the win.
Game 2 they were more in control but Utah got close putting on the pressure yet the Lakers held them back and took the win.

Utah has lead both of the past two games practically the whole way mainly because the Lakers bench just weren't doing their job at a satisfactory level. Despite what people (The Media) say about it beings Kobe's back that lead them to the loss yesterday, they wouldn't have been in that position if they made all their free throws and the bench contribute more to the scoreboard. In the first half of yesterday's game at one point they were 3-14 for free throws :bomb:

It's not choking, it's being outplayed and making stupid mistakes that netted them the losses. Oh yea, and Gasol has just not been playing up to par this series. I have been waiting for him to take control inside the paint yet he hardly ever fights for it...

Utah has always been a tough team in the playoffs.

The ONE thing that annoys me so much when watching the NBA today is how MANY fouls are called with such little contact being made. Half the time if someone puts up a fight trying to defend someone driving in, they called for some foul. It kinda sucks the fun out of the game.

I haven't followed the Spurs/Hornets series so I can't comment on that.

[quote name='Soodmeg']How the hell is he going to coach the Knicks? Their roster is completely opposite of the suns with 1/4 of the talent. Plus he has no idea how to coach defense.

The knicks are still slightly better without thomas but damn they are trying to fit a square peg through a round hole.[/quote]

I'm hoping that Donnie Walsh has sense to cleanse that roster of the malcontents (Marbury's ass needs to go). As long as the roster is shaken up, which I think will happen, the D'Antoni move could be a good one for the Knicks. If they keep the same roster, they are fuckin' fools IMO.

[quote name='Soodmeg']How the hell is he going to coach the Knicks? Their roster is completely opposite of the suns with 1/4 of the talent. Plus he has no idea how to coach defense.

The knicks are still slightly better without thomas but damn they are trying to fit a square peg through a round hole.[/quote]

Hiring D'Antoni isn't about him turning this team into a contender, it's about Mike dictating the style of team that Donnie Walsh will be building over the next couple of years. That's apparently why Mike chose the New York job - because the team reached out and gave him the utmost trust and faith in helping dictate the team that will be built.

This move is about changing the face of the franchise, setting up for an overhaul (completed by finally getting under the cap in the Summer of 2010). Donnie and Mike are running the show, and Donnie will build a team that suits what Mike wants to accomplish.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Had to share this - Don't you wish you could get this much air?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LxDPvGxORc[/QUOTE]

Damn. It looks like that last guy did a faceplant.
The Lakers being outplayed is just a "PC" explanation for them choking.
They won in Utah during the regular season with Pau Gasol, so I thought the Lakers were going to win at least one game up there.

Again, all the Lakers and Hornets did was hold home court...and if they continue to do so, they will advance but now the momentum is with the Jazz/Spurs.
Once a team finds a way to beat you, they will keep on doing the same tactics until adjustments are made.

NBA Playoffs = Adjustments

Looking forward to a Lakers/Spurs series.

farmar should just not play this series since hes a HUGE liability on defense and hes almost bad if not worse on offense with his bonehead plays :bomb:

i know you cats are jazz haters.. but you know what.. go jazz..

the jazz played two rotten quarters in the first two games in LA.. you won't see that in Game 5..

i don't think it was a flagrent 2... he won't get suspended..

boozer needs to play much better in game 5 for the jazz to win.. and with the poor interior defense that LA has.. i expect Dwill and AK to take advantage of that and get more in the paint points.

dive2vv9.jpg

[quote name='urzishra14']and with the poor interior defense that LA has.. i expect Dwill and AK to take advantage of that and get more in the paint points.[/quote]
AHHHH! This is true and I hate them for that :bomb:

Have you seen the way the Jazz just stuff the paint, especially with Gasol "trying" to go for a basket?

You'd think with big guys like Odom, Gasol, and Turiaf they'd be able to pull it off easier.

[quote name='unforeseen']Damn. It looks like that last guy did a faceplant.
The Lakers being outplayed is just a "PC" explanation for them choking.
They won in Utah during the regular season with Pau Gasol, so I thought the Lakers were going to win at least one game up there.

Again, all the Lakers and Hornets did was hold home court...and if they continue to do so, they will advance but now the momentum is with the Jazz/Spurs.
Once a team finds a way to beat you, they will keep on doing the same tactics until adjustments are made.

NBA Playoffs = Adjustments

Looking forward to a Lakers/Spurs series.[/quote]

PC? What's that an acronym for?

Lakers held home court, Jazz held home court, but the thing I noticed is that the Lakers won in a more decisive way. The Jazz held them off at home but the difference was a bit more slim, I mean, they even went into overtime. If the Lakers take this in the right way, they'll realize that they are the better team, and once their bench starts clicking again (which better be Game 5 and 6 dammit), they can have an easier grip on momentum.

One thing I'm curious about is how things would go if they applied the same kind of defense that the Cavs did in Game 3 against the Celtics. They ignored Rondo and went for the other 4 guys, and I'd be interested in knowing what would happen if they doubled up on Williams and eased up on Brewer/5th man. Like Fisher said, you spearhead the driver of their offense (Deron Williams), you defeat the Jazz.

well.. IMO.. the benches mean more then the starters in the jazz-lakers team.. you know Odom, bryant, gasol will get theres.. so will williams, boozer, and okur..the games were decided much more on bench play and consistancy .. but the jazz blowing a 12 point lead with less than 4 minutes left is definately a problem..

even though Deron usually gets most of the credit for how the jazz offense works, but usually AK runs the offense.. and he has played point guard before (especially last season in the GS series.. )

its a very exciting series that is anyone's at this point.. Game 5 will probably decide the series.

[quote name='urzishra14']its a very exciting series that is anyone's at this point.. Game 5 will probably decide the series.[/quote]
It'll only decide the series if the Jazz take Game 5. If the Lakers win, with the way they're performing right now, this'll go all seven games.

I was stressin' the bench in earlier posts I made so I tried to deviate from that to make another counter-argument that resulted in less substance (does that sound familiar? ;))

[quote name='Nelo Ice']boston choke party with another road loss :rofl:[/QUOTE]
I don't recall the Lakers winning either of their road games this series, either. I think 3 out of the 4 series have had the home team win each game so far.

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't recall the Lakers winning either of their road games this series, either. I think 3 out of the 4 series have had the home team win each game so far.[/quote]

yet we've won on the road with the denver sweep and at least weve pushed the jazz till the end
boston its already over once the 4th quarter hits sometime even sooner :lol::lol:
but hey if ur content knoing every series is gonna go 7 games then thats fine

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't recall the Lakers winning either of their road games this series, either. I think 3 out of the 4 series have had the home team win each game so far.[/quote]

Not this series, but they took care of business vs the Nuggets on the road.

KG got shit on by the King.

Where 0-5 Happens.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Not this series, but they took care of business vs the Nuggets on the road.

KG got shit on by the King.

Where 0-5 Happens.[/quote]

and they continue to play KGs league of clutch commercials :lol:

[quote name='Nelo Ice']and they continue to play KGs league of clutch commercials :lol:[/quote]

KG's career was summed up when they were down by 9 with like 2 minutes left in the 4th.

He's being guarded by Anderson Varejo ANDERSON fuckIN VAREJO, and he gets the ball, everyone knows he has no move other than the fadeaway. KG loses handle of the ball, then passes up the shot.

If KG's clutch, then what's Robert Horry?

[quote name='ph33r m3']KG's career was summed up when they were down by 9 with like 2 minutes left in the 4th.

He's being guarded by Anderson Varejo ANDERSON fuckIN VAREJO, and he gets the ball, everyone knows he has no move other than the fadeaway. KG loses handle of the ball, then passes up the shot.

If KG's clutch, then what's Robert Horry?[/quote]

no he and the "big" 3 were clutch
6 points in the 4th out of 12 overall :lol::lol:
edit: no wait only pierce scored!

If the Cavaliers can win game 5 in Boston I wonder if the Celtics will be mentally defeated, knowing that they'd have to win their first road game to stay alive?

[quote name='Inf^Shini']It'll only decide the series if the Jazz take Game 5. If the Lakers win, with the way they're performing right now, this'll go all seven games.

I was stressin' the bench in earlier posts I made so I tried to deviate from that to make another counter-argument that resulted in less substance (does that sound familiar? ;))[/QUOTE]

the only reason i said game 5 will decide the series.. is that I don't think the Jazz could win a Game 7 in LA.. while they of course have a shot at winning them in a game 7.. i just don't think they can compete with kobe in a game 7 yet.

if the jazz however win game 5.. i think they have a great opportunity to win game 6. but again.. anytime we are talking Kobe you can't count him out.

Other than the Pistons who actually won a road game, the Lakers are the first team to take a home team to OT. Most other games have been home blowouts or comfortable home team leads. So, I think Lakers in 6. I think the Spurs will eventually beat the Hornets and it will be a classic Spurs/Lakers conference championship.

[quote name='urzishra14']the only reason i said game 5 will decide the series.. is that I don't think the Jazz could win a Game 7 in LA.. while they of course have a shot at winning them in a game 7.. i just don't think they can compete with kobe in a game 7 yet.

if the jazz however win game 5.. i think they have a great opportunity to win game 6. but again.. anytime we are talking Kobe you can't count him out.[/quote]110% true. And for what it's worth, I think game 4 was probably the best game of the playoffs thus far.

[quote name='MorPhiend']110% true. And for what it's worth, I think game 4 was probably the best game of the playoffs thus far.[/QUOTE]

While it was a good game, I think the Suns/Spurs double overtime game 1 was the best so far.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']While it was a good game, I think the Suns/Spurs double overtime game 1 was the best so far.[/QUOTE]

i have to agree.. that suns/spurs game was epic.. timmy hitting a three.. both teams playing probably the best they've played all year..

Great game, but Suns choked away lots of opportunities to win that game and possibly change the tone of that series. They never recovered from the Duncan dagger.

[quote name='dboy81']Great game, but Suns choked away lots of opportunities to win that game and possibly change the tone of that series. They never recovered from the Duncan dagger.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. The Duncan three was like a destiny shot. The Spurs destiny was to win that game, and the Suns never recovered from there.

So did anyone see the runner up MVP completely crush the defending champs?

22 points 14 asst? And you robbed this guy of the MVP? By him self he adds 50 points to your game. 50 fucking points by himself. Because he always goes for 20-30 points and hit around 13-17 asst.

Say all of those were 2 points...no three's or and 1's. He is the direct result of 48 points each and every night. Completely out classing Tony Parker.

Man its a shame. Anyway.

Pistons win in a game that still makes me doubt how good people think the Pistons are around here. I live out side of Detroit. The magic are a bad team. Just simply a bad god damn team. Yet the super cool pistons with all their superstars only win by 5 points at home? I personal think the Pistons are completely over rated. Being top of the east is like being the smartest kid with down syndrome. And it seems like they struggle in every game they play. If the pistons where in the West I bet you they would barely be a .500 team.

Anyone notice how the magic only run a 7 man rotation? A 7 man rotation with the likes of Jameer Nelson at point playing 33 min, Keith boo boo head Bogans splitting time with K-dool and evans. I mean the Magic are a terrible team with horrific players...so much so that they only play 7 or at of them a game. How can a team that is suppose to be best in the east even come close to losing to the likes of these scrubs.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I totally agree. The Duncan three was like a destiny shot. The Spurs destiny was to win that game, and the Suns never recovered from there.[/quote]

Or it could be that the Suns have horrific defense starting with the single most worst defender on that team.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=QsEQeGi8GFA[/MEDIA]

The suns lost that game beacuse they made really stupid choices. No destiny needed. You traded away your best defender in Shawn Marion a guy who I might had can play 1-4 positions like no other person in the league.

So as Tony Parker, Gen-flop-a-lot, Timmy were eating your team alive you had no one to stop them other than a over rated Raja Bell who only thinks he is a good defender and an old ass Shaq who cant defend anyone who is more than 2 feet out of the paint.

The suns will always lose to anyone who has a solid PF/C (so that A-stod and Shaq cant roam free) and good jump shooters beacuse all of the wing guys suck utter donkey at defense.

[quote name='Soodmeg']...Pistons win in a game that still makes me doubt how good people think the Pistons are around here. I live out side of Detroit. The magic are a bad team. Just simply a bad god damn team. Yet the super cool pistons with all their superstars only win by 5 points at home? I personal think the Pistons are completely over rated. Being top of the east is like being the smartest kid with down syndrome. And it seems like they struggle in every game they play. If the pistons where in the West I bet you they would barely be a .500 team.

Anyone notice how the magic only run a 7 man rotation? A 7 man rotation with the likes of Jameer Nelson at point playing 33 min, Keith boo boo head Bogans splitting time with K-dool and evans. I mean the Magic are a terrible team with horrific players...so much so that they only play 7 or at of them a game. How can a team that is suppose to be best in the east even come close to losing to the likes of these scrubs.[/quote]

I think you're overestimateding the West and underestimating the East a little there. There is a talent disparity, but it's not earth shattering, especially when you talk about teams that advance in the playoffs. I think a lot of the Western teams play a style of basketball that is better suited to today's league.

As for the Pistons I think they're a team that could easily make the second round in the West. Beyond that, I don't know.

[quote name='Filbert']I think you're overestimateding the West and underestimating the East a little there. There is a talent disparity, but it's not earth shattering, especially when you talk about teams that advance in the playoffs. I think a lot of the Western teams play a style of basketball that is better suited to today's league.

As for the Pistons I think they're a team that could easily make the second round in the West. Beyond that, I don't know.[/quote]

The wizards at a 5th seed were 43-39.
5th seed Houston 55-27.

Do you see the difference there? And it just gets worse as you go down.

Teams 10 games above .500 missed the play offs in the west where as in the East teams you barely even have to win 80% of your games to get in. The hawks got in at 37-45 just beating out the Pacers who were 36-46 for the 8th seed.

Then you think that teams like Boston and Detroit are constantly getting easy wins from these bum ass teams.That combined with the Pistons who are known for taking games off left and right. I bet you they would lose more than they would win if they were vsing the talent of the west. Hell the Magic are a 3rd seed with one of the worst front courts in the NBA. Again, Jameer Nelson is your starting point....Keyoon Dooling is your back up, SG is Evans or Bogans. They dont even have a back up SF so it R.Lewis or nothing.

Now compare that to the 3rd seed Spurs. One division has a one of the winningest teams as a 3rd seed where its counter part barely has a legit PG that can walk and chew gum at the same time. The east is trash through and through.

[quote name='Soodmeg']The wizards at a 5th seed were 43-39.
5th seed Houston 55-27.

Do you see the difference there? And it just gets worse as you go down...[/quote]

I believee I said "especially when you talk about teams that advance in the playoffs." That means Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, and Detroit. With the exception of the Magic (which I thought were pretty good in the regular season, I haven't watched them in the postseason.) these are all slow defense oriented teams. That's a style that I've at least been lead to believe does better in the playoffs than in the regular season as well as being a more successful strategy against better competition.

I think we all know that the West has more quality teams. However, both conferences have their bottom feeders, and when you get to the cream of the crop there shouldn't be much difference between the two. (Last season's finals looked worse than they were.)

[quote name='Soodmeg']

Pistons win in a game that still makes me doubt how good people think the Pistons are around here. I live out side of Detroit. The magic are a bad team. Just simply a bad god damn team. Yet the super cool pistons with all their superstars only win by 5 points at home? I personal think the Pistons are completely over rated. Being top of the east is like being the smartest kid with down syndrome. And it seems like they struggle in every game they play. If the pistons where in the West I bet you they would barely be a .500 team.

[/quote]

I see what point you're trying to make, but you also have to take into account the fact that the Pistons aren't playing with their best player right now, as Chauncey Billups is out with a hamstring injury.

bread's done
Back