The Official 2007/2008 NBA thread

Alright, so you dispute one call in Game 6 and complain about two foul outs from Divac and Pollard (haha) while I proved to you that throughout the series the referring was in favor of the Kings (with numerous foul outs from the Lakers).

Are you seriously trying to argue that Bibby and Webber (the Kings main guys) were more aggressive than Shaq and Kobe (The Lakers main guys)?

Game 1:
Laker FT: 16-22
Kings FT: 16-17
Lakers Win

Game 2:
Laker FT: 15-25
Kings FT: 23-38
Kings Win

Game 3:
Kings FT: 21-35
Lakers FT: 8-15
Kings Win

Game 4:
Kings FT: 18-26
Lakers FT: 18-27
Lakers Win

Game 5:
Lakers FT: 17-23
Kings FT: 22-33
Kings Win

Game 6:
Kings FT: 18-25
Lakers FT: 34-40
Lakers Win

Game 7:
Lakers FT: 27-33
Kings FT: 15-36
Lakers Win

If anything, that proves that there was a huge disparity in Game 6 from the way that the rest of the series was called.

When you look at the style of play of both teams that year, the Kings with their slashing, cutting, back-door plays, going to the rim (remember, in the previous series against the Mavs, they had something like 122 dunks and layups in five games), then you have the Lakers running their slow, deliberate triangle offense, and only Kobe and Shaq ever really got to the line. There's a reason right there why the Kings would be outshooting the Lakers from the line.

Another thing to consider is the fact that in Games 2 and 3, the Lakers were behind late in the game and were fouling to stop the clock. In Game 3, the Lakers shot 31 threes, Kobe shot nine of them, and fouled out. Shaq finished with five fouls. They got outplayed and weren't attacking the rim in that game.

Either way it goes, you have 28 quarters in a series, and one quarter stands out, six years later, as being inconsistent with the way the rest of the series was called. There's no way to justify the Lakers shooting 27 free throws in one quarter, especially at home in an elimination game, when they had only shot 13 in the first three quarters combined. Even with the poor officiating in Game 2 of this year's Finals, the Celtics didn't shoot anywhere near 27 free throws in any quarter. The Kings got cheated out of that game, and thus, out of the series.

Bottom line.

Found at another forum.

I find it funny that Bob Delaney said he was never questioned about these allegations, yet Stern said there was an investigated by the FBI and there was nothing found. How the hell was an investigation done and completed by the FBI without one of the three refs ever being asked about it?

Stern needs to do damage control asap. I love how this story has completely taken the spotlight from the NBA Finals. Funny shit.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']blah blah blah blah[/quote]

See how easy that was? (that post from another forum ignores the fact that the out of the 27 free throws in the 4th quarter 8 of them came off intentional fouls from the Kings to stop the clock)

Again, if you take those intentional fouls away you have 19 free throws for the Lakers, and 10 for the Kings in the 4th quarter of Game 6. A 9 free throw advantage for the home team in the last quarter screams "FIXED" to you?

The Kings were clearly robbed, there is no way around it. But, it was because of incompetence, not a fix. Basketball is a difficult sport to officiate, and poorly officiated games come with the territory. The refs may have cost them that game, but the responsibility for losing the series falls on the shoulders of the Kings, because overcoming adversity is what separates good teams from champions.

Though I do think there should be an investigation to restore confidence in the league. When the integrity of the game is in doubt, you're nothing. Look at how marginal boxing has become. I know a lot of you weren't around back then, but boxing really was the sport of kings.

Maybe it's just a Bay Area thing, but i've never heard anyone call the The Lakers the "laCkers"....real original. Just call em' the Fakers and get over with it.

Boxing in the early 90's when Tyson was coddamn untouchable was real big time. What's weird is that Stern said he investegated that one referee (can't remember the name on the top of my head...I think Delaney) but the referee said he was never interviewed.

I'm suprised this hasn't been as big news as SpyGate, Steroids in baseball, or Michael Vick. This could really be horrible for the NBA, it's entering a great age right now. The top 10 teams in the West could all win a championship, add Portland and Seattle on the up, then you have the East teams who aren't as good, but competitive nonetheless.

[quote name='Soodmeg']What the hell happened to this thread?

Can we chill out with the stupid pics and constant trolling and go back to real basketball talk. I am not a laker or boston fan and I also wish they both could somehow lose and give the championship the the Hornets.
[/quote]

I agree with all of that. The only thing is I was Hornets fans back in Charlotte. The days of Alonzo Mourning, Hersey Hawkins, Glen Rice, Muggsy Bogues...

Once the owner left it really left me without a team I follow. I like the New Orleans Hornets, but it just isn't the same. I just can't get into the Bobcats at all.

[quote name='bardiya27']See how easy that was? (that post from another forum ignores the fact that the out of the 27 free throws in the 4th quarter 8 of them came off intentional fouls from the Kings to stop the clock)

Again, if you take those intentional fouls away you have 19 free throws for the Lakers, and 10 for the Kings in the 4th quarter of Game 6. A 9 free throw advantage for the home team in the last quarter screams "FIXED" to you?[/QUOTE]

Can you prove your claim that 8-10 FTA in that 4th quarter were intentional fouls?

No point in arguing with someone who can't admit when a team got completely shafted. I'm surprised even my friends that are hardcore laCker fans have came out and said that shit was shady.

[quote name='dafoomie']The Kings were clearly robbed, there is no way around it. But, it was because of incompetence, not a fix. Basketball is a difficult sport to officiate, and poorly officiated games come with the territory. The refs may have cost them that game, but the responsibility for losing the series falls on the shoulders of the Kings, because overcoming adversity is what separates good teams from champions.

Though I do think there should be an investigation to restore confidence in the league. When the integrity of the game is in doubt, you're nothing. Look at how marginal boxing has become. I know a lot of you weren't around back then, but boxing really was the sport of kings.[/QUOTE]

Incompetence, fix, whatever.. in the end, Kings got screwed.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Maybe it's just a Bay Area thing, but i've never heard anyone call the The Lakers the "laCkers"....real original. Just call em' the Fakers and get over with it.

Boxing in the early 90's when Tyson was coddamn untouchable was real big time. What's weird is that Stern said he investegated that one referee (can't remember the name on the top of my head...I think Delaney) but the referee said he was never interviewed.

I'm suprised this hasn't been as big news as SpyGate, Steroids in baseball, or Michael Vick. This could really be horrible for the NBA, it's entering a great age right now. The top 10 teams in the West could all win a championship, add Portland and Seattle on the up, then you have the East teams who aren't as good, but competitive nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

I actually live in LA. I prefer laCkers.

Ya, I posted about that Delaney thing. I really like to see Stern explain that one.

It hasn't been big news because the NBA is a joke and has been for a long time now. I'm sure if Stern doesn't do anything soon, congress might decide to get involved.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I agree with all of that. The only thing is I was Hornets fans back in Charlotte. The days of Alonzo Mourning, Hersey Hawkins, Glen Rice, Muggsy Bogues...

Once the owner left it really left me without a team I follow. I like the New Orleans Hornets, but it just isn't the same. I just can't get into the Bobcats at all.[/quote]

I remember Geiger, that big white guy Center....

I remember the court was really fuckin' weird, like the inside of the 3 point line was colored turquoise?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I agree with all of that. The only thing is I was Hornets fans back in Charlotte. The days of Alonzo Mourning, Hersey Hawkins, Glen Rice, Muggsy Bogues...

Once the owner left it really left me without a team I follow. I like the New Orleans Hornets, but it just isn't the same. I just can't get into the Bobcats at all.[/quote]

You know I have never even seen a bobcat game.

Actually I was talking to my friend about Emaka (sp) today. He asked me if the Pistons should try to trade for him. I honestly couldnt even comment as I dont think I have ever seen him play during his pro career.

Yeah I have been all over the place with my basketball teams. Since I live by Detroit I get all the Pistons games but was never a fan. And to be honest I actually hate the way they play.

That reminds me.

WHAT THE fuck! At all these coaches being hired and the name Avery Johnson never comes up? The guy is a great coach. He coached one of the teams I hate but he is still a great coach. I am completely blown away that he didnt get a job seconds after being fired from Dallas. Just mind boggling.

It is funny a big factor in tonight's game is Rondo's ankle.
Up to the finals the Celtics actually benefited from some other teams injuries. The Daniel gibson injury was big and Billups not being 100%. It seems like we have paid for it in the finals with the rash of injuries we have suffered

They might need to do what they did against Cleveland, have Pierce bring the ball up the floor. Eddie House can't do it.

Perkins told a reporter earlier that Rondo gets them into their set quickly, while with Eddie House it takes until theres 10 seconds left on the shot clock. House is a catch and shoot guy, and thats all.

[quote name='jlarlee']It is funny a big factor in tonight's game is Rondo's ankle.
Up to the finals the Celtics actually benefited from some other teams injuries. The Daniel gibson injury was big and Billups not being 100%. It seems like we have paid for it in the finals with the rash of injuries we have suffered[/quote]

Get out of here. Gibson is a average to below average player. He had ONE...ONE good play off game and everyone is branding him like some underground superstar...Him being there or not being there had really no effect on anything.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Get out of here. Gibson is a average to below average player. He had ONE...ONE good play off game and everyone is branding him like some underground superstar...Him being there or not being there had really no effect on anything.[/QUOTE]

Not so much me praising Gibson but the guys they had to replace him with were no where near as good as he is. He has a dependable shot at least which makes teams think twice about doubling Lebron off him. I think it was a significant shot to the Cavaliers bench losing him

Tony Allen might start if Rondo can't go. Not sure how I feel about that, but at least he can guard Kobe pretty well.

He's not really a playmaker, and not a great finisher either, but he's very athletic.

[quote name='jlarlee']Not so much me praising Gibson but the guys they had to replace him with were no where near as good as he is. He has a dependable shot at least which makes teams think twice about doubling Lebron off him. I think it was a significant shot to the Cavaliers bench losing him[/quote]

Well, I would disagree. Gibson is a 4 tier player who you could replace with any other guy.

He hits open jumpers but damn near everyone in the NBA can hit open jumpers of a double team...after all he is a point guard.

He is a guy who barely hits 10 a game with 2 maybe 3 assist no steals no anything.

But I do agree that he can cash out from 3 as he shoots 41% but its trumped by the fact that 98% of all guards in the NBA can hit open shots.

Other than Bron Bron and Big Z the entire rest of the team is trash. There is no helping them. But everyone should be very very scared of them. Bron Bron wills his teams deep into the play offs all by his lonesome and if they even get 1 other guy who can bring it each and every game they will almost be unstoppable.

[quote name='dafoomie']Tony Allen might start if Rondo can't go. Not sure how I feel about that, but at least he can guard Kobe pretty well.

He's not really a playmaker, and not a great finisher either, but he's very athletic.[/quote]

I don't think Rondo is going to play today. He didnt even practice.. But if he does it will be very little mins. As for Tony Allen, nobody cant guard Kobe. It would be a difficult match up for him.

If you want proofs of the free throw statistics check them out for yourself, you can find the box score for all playoffs game on the NBA website.

On the Rondo injury, it definitely helps the Lakers because Rondo's penetration has been killing them. Which is kind of odd considering the fact that Fisher held of AI, Deron Williams and Tony Parker.

I think Rondo's success against Fisher and the Lakers has more to do with the fact that Gasol and Odom can't afford to help Fisher close the lane (which they did a lot against the 3 previous point guards) because if the players they leave open such as Garnett and Pierce are really good at moving without the ball.

Rondo going down did help the Celtics in Game 3, Eddie House came in for him and the threat alone of his 3 point shooting was sufficient for the Celtics to spread the floor and comeback from a 6 point deficit to leading by 5, but it would not benefit them in the long run. It is easier for the Lakers to adjust to a point guard that has a shoot first mentality than to a point guard that has a pass first mentality.

Tony Allen matches up with Kobe pretty well, he won't stop him, but while Posey has the length he's too slow for Kobe, Pierce would be the ideal match-up but his knee will take an abuse running around guarding Kobe and he can't waste his energy on defense when his offense is needed.

What I am really looking forward to in tonights game is to see if KG gets more aggressive and whether Lamar Odom can stay out of foul trouble so that he can get his game and confidence back.

[quote name='bardiya27']If you want proofs of the free throw statistics check them out for yourself, you can find the box score for all playoffs game on the NBA website.[/QUOTE]

I posted the FT statistics you idiot. I asked you to show me proof about the 8-10 FTA you said were intentional.

KG explodes for 40/20 and PP drops 70 as Boston wins 200-84. You heard it first from me.

[quote name='Dynasty1756']I don't think Rondo is going to play today. He didnt even practice.. But if he does it will be very little mins. As for Tony Allen, nobody cant guard Kobe. It would be a difficult match up for him.[/QUOTE]
He did practice and he was on the floor for the shootaround. He just didn't practice real hard.

Plus Doc just announced Rondo is starting.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']I posted the FT statistics you idiot. I asked you to show me proof about the 8-10 FTA you said were intentional.[/quote]

*oNeWiNgEdIdIoT*, if you had looked at the box score and clicked on "play by play" instead of just copy pasting info from another forum, you could see that in the last 20 seconds the Kings fouled the Lakers 3 time intentionally to get the possession back.

(0:19) [SAC] Jackson Foul: Personal (2 PF)
(0:19) [LAL 102-100] Bryant Free Throw 1 of 2 (28 PTS)
(0:19) [SAC] Jackson Substitution replaced by Webber
(0:19) [LAL 103-100] Bryant Free Throw 2 of 2 (29 PTS)
(0:19) [SAC] Team Timeout: Regular
(0:19) [SAC] Funderburke Substitution replaced by Stojakovic
(0:19) [LAL] O'Neal Substitution replaced by George
(0:13) [SAC 102-103] Turkoglu Driving Layup: Made (12 PTS) Assist: Christie (5
(0:11) [SAC] Christie Foul: Personal (3 PF)
(0:11) [LAL 104-102] Bryant Free Throw 1 of 2 (30 PTS)
(0:11) [LAL] George Substitution replaced by O'Neal
(0:11) [SAC] Team Timeout: Short
(0:11) [LAL] O'Neal Substitution replaced by George
(0:11) [LAL 105-102] Bryant Free Throw 2 of 2 (31 PTS)
(0:04) [SAC] Bibby Jump Shot: Missed
(0:02) [LAL] Horry Rebound (Off:0 Def:4)
(0:02) [SAC] Turkoglu Foul: Personal (4 PF)
(0:02) [LAL] Horry Free Throw 1 of 2 missed
(0:02) [LAL] Team Rebound
(0:02) [LAL 106-102] Horry Free Throw 2 of 2 (8 PTS)
(0:00) End Game LAL 106, SAC 102

So the number of intentional free throws were 6, not 8, so you can chip 6 away from 40, and 6 away from 27.

I don't wanna debate this anymore because you are choosing not to do by resorting to insults and you are having a hard time proving your side of the argument, calling the Lakers fan lackers and retarded (haha your a comic genius!), and like many other have pointed out this going back and forth is a distraction to the point of this topic. If you have anything else to say just PM me.

There were bad calls throughout the series and that's that. I sat and complained about Game 2 of the finals, and while I was just being sarcastic when calling Game 2 fixed, I still maintain that they were a lot of questionables in that game, were they a factor in us losing the game? Slightly. But from the beginning of that game one team showed up (Celtics) and the other (Lakers) could not adjust to the way the game was called.

It's that simple, if the Celtics wraps this up it's because they were the better team, not because of officiating that favored the home team.

This is the Lakers team seen in the Nuggets/Jazz series, agressive, passing well.

The Celtics are in some serious trouble right now with Rondo. The Lakers have figured out their defensive plan right now, let Rondo alone and now your basically playing 4 Celtics on Offense vs 5 Lakers on defense.

Wouldn't be suprised to see House early.

damn...this looks like some college bball how much the teams are running and turning the ball over

i'm happy for Odom though...glad he could get into a rhythm early + no fouls as of yet

[quote name='ph33r m3']This is the Lakers team seen in the Nuggets/Jazz series, agressive, passing well.

The Celtics are in some serious trouble right now with Rondo. The Lakers have figured out their defensive plan right now, let Rondo alone and now your basically playing 4 Celtics on Offense vs 5 Lakers on defense.

Wouldn't be suprised to see House early.[/quote]

The Lakers are playing very well... Odom is more aggressive!

[quote name='swetooth9']damn...this looks like some college bball how much the teams are running and turning the ball over

i'm happy for Odom though...glad he could get into a rhythm early + no fouls as of yet[/quote]

Lamar Odom wins the "If his mentality was switched with Kobe/Jordan he'd be a top 5 player in the league".

I mean a 6'10 PF left hander who has handles like a 2, passes like a 1, and shoots like a 3.

[quote name='jlarlee']Man nothings dropping

Lakers are a different team when odoms mug isn't on a milk carton[/quote]

i mean...any team would be different if one of their best players does or does not play well...

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']Since when do those guys ever play well?[/quote]

once in a blue moon...tonight i guess

[quote name='dafoomie']If that was LA's best shot, I'm not afraid of them at all. LA should be at least a little better Thursday but the Celtics should be exponentially better if either Pierce or Garnett does anything.[/quote]

i guess LA has a better shot tonight...pierce and garnett are making good plays, but the PG position is severely lacking tonight

C's are makin a run here though...could get them some momentum

good job by Phil jackson putting farmar in to zoom up the court and score the 3 at the end of the half...

hell yeah farmar with the 3!!!!
o yeah btw the lakers wont choke away leads like the celtics

edit:^farmar is near automatic with buzzer beaters and phil knos it =P

[quote name='Nelo Ice']hell yeah farmar with the 3!!!!
o yeah btw the lakers wont choke away leads like the celtics[/quote]

That last shot by Farmar was amazing!

The Lakers in the 1st half played exceptionally well !!! :applause::applause::applause:
I like there style of play and Kobe hasn't even scored a field goal yet.... only free throws :cool:

[quote name='swetooth9']well i'm just happy people aren't posting complaining about every bad call[/quote]

There's really nothing to complain about.

House, Rondo, Cassell are blowing ass. Allen is hitting his 3's, Pierce is driving to the basket, KG is in the lowpost. So, their 3 best players are playing well, it's just the fact that the Lakers are playing a shit load better and the Lakers defense is perfect right now.

House, Rondo, Cassell are a combined 2-8 right now.

[quote name='ph33r m3']There's really nothing to complain about.

House, Rondo, Cassell are blowing ass. Allen is hitting his 3's, Pierce is driving to the basket, KG is in the lowpost. So, their 3 best players are playing well, it's just the fact that the Lakers are playing a shit load better and the Lakers defense is perfect right now.

House, Rondo, Cassell are a combined 2-8 right now.[/quote]

complaining about gameplans/player tendencies/player performance/etc. is great and can lead to good discussion...complaining about bad calls by refs on the other hand leads us nowhere

If the Celts can get it under ten going into the final quarter they may have a chance. The Lakers have answered the last few runs though. The broken play that ended up being a Gasol alley oop was frustrating. Went from a steal and fast break to a layup going the other way

[quote name='Nelo Ice']
o yeah btw the lakers wont choke away leads like the celtics
[/QUOTE]

Celts outplay the lakers in yet another 3rd quarter. Besides late game management the adjustments made in halftime in my opinion are the most important thing a coach does. In this regard phil is getting his ass kicked by Doc

PJ Brown was fucking fouled there, and nothing. Nevermind the slap on KG's wrist after a rebound, I don't even expect that call.

You Lakers fans lost all right to complain about officiating. Not that you had any right after 2002.

bread's done
Back