The Official 2015 Yard Sale Thread Post your finds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a yard sale yesterday, whole neighborhood had a yard sale event so it was pretty crowded. Sold a bunch of electronics I had trouble selling on Craigslist before. I was surprised a kid bought my Digimon Pinball Machine instead of an adult lol. Also I had a small Pokemon/Pikachu themed beach chair for $10 but no one bought it, which I thought was strange. Wondering if I was asking too much for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This coming weekend is my citywide sale. I'm telling my boss I'll be a couple hours late.

I still haven't posted my finds from the past couple weekends. Hopefully I'll have time in the next couple nights.

I had some good finds this weekend, but didn't move as fast as I normally do since I had my wife and kiddo with me. What with the curfew having been in effect she really felt like getting out of the house, and I can't say I blame her.

Anyway, first sale advertised video games, and in a very pleasant surprise I found a couple of 3DS games I've been wanting to play along with some game master books, toys for the kiddo, and some spooky books for my spooky friends. Everything below was $40.

Next up was a community sale, but it was mainly a bust for me. My wife picked up a bunch of baby clothes while I got a couple of plug-in controller based systems for $5 and the game and toys below for $2.50.

And lastly I hit up the sale where I got the huge lot of NES and Genesis stuff a couple of weeks ago. She looked like she was mainly clearing out kids' toys but told me to come back next week. I did find a sleeve of PS1 games, though, and got them all for $7.

I had a rare stroke of luck in that a sale happened five minutes away from my house a couple of streets over. It started at 8 and normally that's just not possible for someone of my nightowlish tendencies. As it was I kind of stood there like a zombie trying to do math in my head so I could make the lady an offer.

Picked up a Kinect for 360 in box, wireless black 360 controller, 13 Xbox 360 games and a Sony digital camcorder for $40. I realized when I got home that the camcorder had some damage where the plastic over the buttons was cracked and it was missing a couple of things like the remote, but it seems to be in working condition and at $2.50 an item I am satisfied.

Just curious, what's the best flip you guys have made from a yard sale purchase?
I just started doing yard sales but I got a GameCube that happened to have a GameBoy Player w/ the start up disk for $15. Kept the Gamecube and sold the player for $66. Not an amazing flip but still great.

On my way to do yard sales I did find a Dark Souls Hardcover Guide at Goodwill for $3. Sold it for $80 this week.

Just curious, what's the best flip you guys have made from a yard sale purchase?
Mine was four guitars and three drum sets for 360. Cost $10 for everything. Sold two guitars and two drum sets for net profit of about $100, kept the others. A lot of people will tell you to ignore the instruments, but for 360 they're great to flip.

My best thrift store flip is a bit more impressive, got all of this for $17 (15 games and a GCN memory card). Net profit about $200, plus I got to play some great titles. Still have Bayonetta too.

Some old NIB Playmobils for like $20->$400ish.

Also got a 2' stack of PS2 RPGs for like $100, including all but GU Vol. 3.

My biggest flip ever, was back in 2012 (still in High-school, lol). I bought and sold 40 XBOX 360 download cards of each: Halo Reach, Skyrim, Child of Eden, and Carnival Games for $21, $26, $10 and $15. I purchased them a couple of blocks from my home, the women was a Microsoft employee, that was having a yard-sale. She told me they came from the holiday bundles and she'll sell all of them for $300. I made like $2000 something (minus the eBay fees and the shipping was cheap, I sent them via email, lol) on them.

$20 bike, put another $30 into it for a new chain, sold for $800! (wanted to keep it, but even with every mod available, too tall)

damn, time to dig out the virtual boys...

I don't have a biggest flip because I keep too much stuff. :whistle2:

I'd say a recent personal highlight is the Free complete in box SNES I got last year. Or my Castlevania SOTN that was factory sealed that I got in another FREE lot last year.

Non gaming: My "mid-century orange vinyl daybeds." I paid either $15 (or $30) for the pair IIRC. I could sell them at a shop in Chicago for $1,200 for the pair (they have no rips). IDK If I ever posted them, but here is a pic of one of them:

Best flip was a box of toys a couple years ago. Bought 3 boxes for $5. They had a bunch of power ranger figures and morphers, beast wars transformers, and a working Turboman figure as highlights. Ended up clearing $400-$500 from those boxes and I exempt kept all the pokemon toys.

Nothing for major flips, but recently sold some LPs I had picked up in a lot of video games and got $40 for them.  I need to pay more attention vinyl this year, but I'm probably already too late.  Everytime I go to thrifts the vinyl section is crawling with resellers.  I expect the same for yard sales this year.

First weekend I'm heading out to yard sales and it started well.  Zelda Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass for $5 each.

Best is hard to say. Nothing can beat a few of my craigslist scores from like 5 years ago, but I have had some real good yardsale scores too.

One place last year the guy told me had had twin daughters (now in their mid 30's) and he was selling off all their toys. I got a few boxed My Little Pony Sets, Cabbage Patch sets, Jem & the Holograms, Barbie sets, etc. Everything was two dollars each and I ended up selling one of the Pony Sets for more than 200, and a few of the other sets for like 100, 100, 50, 30, 25 etc. So overall for like 40 bucks I ended up making about 600.

Another last year was a yardsale I sniped the night before. Got a bunch of NES games, Dreamcast games, SNES games, PS1, etc. All for like a buck or two each. Also got a bunch of board games, action figures, and other stuff. Turned out the best finds were the board games. Hero Quest, Pokemon Monopoly, Pokemon Gotta Catch Em All (or something like that), Lord of the Rings Risk, and some Space game with a talking computer trying to kill you that sounded like Sinistar (I believe it sounded that way, I might just imagine Sinistar). The board games made me a few hundred just themselves.

Another one lat year was someone who sold me a SNES w/ Mario All-Stars, Mario World, Boogerman, Yoshi and a few others, All the seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel for $10.

I haven't really gotten anything that I've made $200 off at a garage sale, but I did buy a massive lot of gaming systems and games for $500 on Craigslist and I ended up profiting at least $2500(this was about 8 months ago).

I don't really flip a lot, but these are the best scores I ever had. All were the summer of 2013. That was a good summer.

Got all these gamecube games for $15. All were CIB and in excellent condition. I sold some, but kept a lot of them.

1374309_530202017069201_1541796207_n.jpg

Got these three NIB lego sets for $10. Sold them on ebay for $70 each.

643990_493647540724649_377442998_n.jpg

Got all these games for $45 and when I booted up the wii Smash Bros Brawl was in it. Also, the account on the wii had a few VC games and $30 on it so I bought more VC games. All the games were CIB and in excellent condition.

1006034_493647670724636_442458941_n.jpg

The Spice Orange controller is still probably my favorite of all time. I wish all 3 companies would release more orange products.

Sigh... I was going to go hit sales this morning but it seems the weather scared people off. There's hardly any sales listed and what is listed is too spread out. Guess I'm skipping this week. A shame, especially since it's not supposed to rain until afternoon. Maybe I'll go hit up a few thrifts, I dunno.

I haven't sold it yet, but I picked up a sealed in box Rainbow Brite doll from the 80s.  Checking completed auctions, I should be able to get around $80-100 for it.

My best flip was definitely the CiB copy of Bubble Bobble 2 I picked up last summer. Paid $60 for a box of SNES and NES games that included it, and I cleared about $600 on that game alone. Good thing, too, as the money went in to starting up the new baby's college fund.

I wish I could defray more costs by picking up non-gaming stuff, but I really have no idea what's worth anything, and my wife would probably kill me if I started bringing home even more stuff.

My best flip money-wise has to be Pokemon games. This one in partiuclar, the lady was selling a gameboy case. It held a gameboy color and a few games. Instead of having the gameboy in the case, it had at least 6 or 7 pokemon games. I took it to the lady and she says $1. I happily pay that and move on the the next sale (soo many sales that day.) I felt bad when I got home and noticed that each game had a price on the back (in the $4-6 range.) Ah well, the seller has to be at least partially to blame too I think. Ended up selling a couple that I already had and kept the rest.

Mine was four guitars and three drum sets for 360. Cost $10 for everything. Sold two guitars and two drum sets for net profit of about $100, kept the others. A lot of people will tell you to ignore the instruments, but for 360 they're great to flip.

My best thrift store flip is a bit more impressive, got all of this for $17 (15 games and a GCN memory card). Net profit about $200, plus I got to play some great titles. Still have Bayonetta too.
I gotta ask, where are you flipping these guitars and drum sets at? I see them all the time, but they're just so bulky. Ebay? Craigslist? Just curious.

No video game stuff today. I bought a couple of DK LEGO hard cover books, one Star Wars, one boxed set that's some kind of LEGO history. The Star Wars one has a mini-fig of Luke Skywalker in his end of Episode IV ceremony outfit. $8 for the both of them. 

I would like to make some sort of law effective immediately that people who post garage sale signs need to use brightly colored paper, write IN BIG LETTERS and have a very clear arrow pointing in the proper direction. Saw so many black and white signs in eensy teensy lettering that I could not read nor could I slow down because people tailgate in this town like their lives depend on getting to Wal-mart five seconds faster.

My two best flips from yard sales:

$35 got me a ($10) Bose 2.1 system and a ($25) Wild NA2 (surveying tool). These were at the same sale.

The Bose set sold for $250 and the Wild NA2 sold for $700

My absolute best flip:

$50 for 2 boxes of Jazz records a couple summers ago. I bought the lot because there was a lot I wanted personally, and then sold the rest.

Cleared well over $2000 on those. Could have been double that, but none of the records were near mint.

I gotta ask, where are you flipping these guitars and drum sets at? I see them all the time, but they're just so bulky. Ebay? Craigslist? Just curious.
The guitars on eBay and the drums on Craigslist. I can get $40 for a 360 guitar with a cheap game, sometimes more depending on the guitar. The drums go for a bit less on Craigslist ($20-30), but it's worth not having to pack and ship them.

Saw a couple major neighborhood sales going on and got these.

26" HDTV- $16

TomTom GPS- $12

Sony Stereo set- $5

Radioshack RC car- $5

Harman Kardon receiver- $20

Ion profile pro usb turntable, never opened- $20

dR7FakK.jpg

These CDs were inside Sony stereo... I'm guessing it hasn't been used in a long time lol.

LMYwx5T.jpg

I got these Skylanders for $14 but I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not. I know nothing about them.

csdlGMr.jpg

LTB3Nul.jpg

VYgkj2n.jpg

Struck out at a rummage sale. Then walked to a yard sale I've been to for the past 3-4 years in a row. Guy usually had DVDs and games for reasonable prices, but there were none there this year.

Ended up finding a PA Moped license plate and a copy of WWF Divas Postcard from the Caribbean on VHS for $1 total.

Chester the Molester and Chuckles beat me to a sale today and bought only video games. I figured out they are buying all the games they can find and circling back to the sales to buy the rest of the stuff they usually buy. Sneaky Bastards.

While I was there the d-bag from SAVERs showed up and was scanning stuff (everything) with his phone. He was watching me to see what I bought. As soon as I bought my stuff and left. He bought his stuff, ran to his car, and peeled out to beat me to the next sale...Funny thing is, I already went to that sale. ;)

I managed to pick up some scraps today, but it wasn't gaming. Just stuff like .25 milk crates for books/games/records.

Chester the Molester and Chuckles beat me to a sale today and bought only video games. I figured out they are buying all the games they can find and circling back to the sales to buy the rest of the stuff they usually buy. Sneaky Bastards.

While I was there the d-bag from SAVERs showed up and was scanning stuff (everything) with his phone. He was watching me to see what I bought. As soon as I bought my stuff and left. He bought his stuff, ran to his car, and peeled out to beat me to the next sale...Funny thing is, I already went to that sale. ;)

I managed to pick up some scraps today, but it wasn't gaming. Just stuff like .25 milk crates for books/games/records.
My friend was telling me about the scanning thing, although I've never seen it. He said at his goodwill someone comes in and scans all the books. If the phone beeps he puts the book in his cart. I don't know why, but this is disgusting to me. If you have knowledge of what you are buying or have instinct of what you are buying to make a profit that's one thing, but to just have a Pavlovian condition where you hear the beep and put the book in the cart seems wrong.

Also, I swung by my local thrift store and picked up 47 books for $5. Most of them were glossy hardcover Hardy Boy books that I got to read to my son. I'll post a picture later to the thrift store thread.

Also, I swung by my local thrift store and picked up 47 books for $5. Most of them were glossy hardcover Hardy Boy books that I got to read to my son. I'll post a picture later to the thrift store thread.
You sir, win 2 Internets. First, and most important, for reading to your son! Second for reading Hardy Boys books! Way to go!

Grabbed both of these for total of $35. Already sold the DS lite to a friend for $35 so I ended up with a free 3DS game. :D
[attachment=14263:20150508_191639.jpg]

Kudos on reading as well! We like Mr. Men books. So if any of you CAGs see any, I'd gladly reimburse you for them.

As far as today, my only pickup was a pink TI-84 Plus Sillver edition and a aftermarket air filter system for my truck for $5 total. Rain really messed up a lot of plans for me. I have a lead on a sale tomorrow if the rain holds out.

My friend was telling me about the scanning thing, although I've never seen it. He said at his goodwill someone comes in and scans all the books. If the phone beeps he puts the book in his cart. I don't know why, but this is disgusting to me. If you have knowledge of what you are buying or have instinct of what you are buying to make a profit that's one thing, but to just have a Pavlovian condition where you hear the beep and put the book in the cart seems wrong.

We had a similar discussion earlier in this thread. I hate scanners with a passion. They have no skill or knowledge and many of them lack the social grace to not scan in front of the seller. Bunch of savages.

Going to head to the rich part of town to see what they have. I usually try to go within walking distance 3-4 miles, but I did like what I found the last time I went to this area.

Rough say today. Two weeks in a row like that.

$2 - Munchkins (Steve Jackson game)

$5 - 3 Sims big box games and a Sidewinder Flight Stick

$2 - Axis and Allies (maybe complete - all the parts are in the bag still sealed but there are multiple bags. Will have to check)

$5 - Mickey's Holiday Carousel set - will probably sell it in the Fall

25 cents - Singing Elvis Christmas ornament I'll just give to my mother

Not alot of sales - and many of them were repeats.

Worst sale was a girl who must run a flea market stand or store and she decided to sell all her stuff.

Lots of action figures and toys but all over online prices.

Best was a MegaBloks Warcraft set - she said it goes for $90+ online, so she wants $45. Checked my phone and it is like 20 or 25 shipped on ebay new.

A few more weeks like this and I may get discouraged for the year.

A few more weeks like this and I may get discouraged for the year.
Don't give up! Memorial Day weekend is just around the corner...my area usually explodes with garage sales on that weekend, hopefully yours does too.

I bought a "leather" jacket for $3 today. Didn't think to check the tag until after and it's made out of poly-whatever, oops. It's not a bad jacket and hey, $3.

I went back to the sale where Chester/Chuckles beat me to the games. Sure enough, they came back to her sale today and bought the usual stuff they buy (tools, toys, anything they can resell). I've confirmed they are hitting everything quickly and asking specifically for  video games.

Funny story about the sale. They had a Rock-Band 2 Special Edition PS3 Bundle for $25. It was in ok shape and they have the original box, no game though.

Those guys left it and the d-bag from savers even looked it up on his phone and left it.  I knew it was worth picking up, but I didn't let on when he was looking at it. He even announced "Oh you guys have a rockband!" to see if I would look over. I kept my head down and thought to myself. "Don't buy it. Don't buy it." -to him. I left it hoping to get it today for a lower price.

I went back today and they still had it.

Paid $15. It has the guitar, the mic, the drums, drum sticks, pedal, and 2 dongles (both grey-hopefully there isn't a difference) with the original box and slip cover.

Very lame sales today. I'm gonna chalk it up to the weather and Mother's day, because unlike last week I didn't see any of the usual fat Storage Wars reject resellers who are usually all over the place.

unnamed.jpg

PS2 Slim complete in box - $12

:wii: Mario Super Sluggers - $1

:br: Justice League: Doom - $3

And I got an absolutely massive roll of bubble wrap for $5. That'll be put to good use at least. The PS2 was in ridiculously good condition to the point where I thought it hadn't been used, but they told me it works fine but has trouble playing dvd movies. Justice League was from the Salvation Army. With how crazy their prices have been lately I'm amazed they were wlling to sell a blu-ray for only 3 bucks.

I feel it's worth noting, most 360/PS3/Wii guitars and drums have a decent trade in value at amazon currently ($24+ for most) which is pretty comparable to what you'd get on ebay if you sold one for $45 shipped and sent it priority. The :ps3: World Tour guitar I got 3 weeks ago traded in for $48. :cool:

Also, for some reason a lot of the standalone guitars have higher TIV's than the bundles so be sure to check both. Although if the bundle does trade for more, most of the GH games can be had at GS for a buck or two.

heres what I picked up today, nothing amazing but I think I did well enough.

KOTOR is complete it even has the original receipt in the bag lol.

Jedi Academy is missing the manual, but $5 for both was a good deal to me

and at the last sale we went to I got this stuff. $5 for the pair and the car 1:24 scale just to put into perspective how big the hood is

heres what I picked up today, nothing amazing but I think I did well enough.

KOTOR is complete it even has the original receipt in the bag lol.

Jedi Academy is missing the manual, but $5 for both was a good deal to me

and at the last sale we went to I got this stuff. $5 for the pair and the car 1:24 scale just to put into perspective how big the hood is

EWWWW, Jimmie Johnson...

Not a lot of luck for me today in a community sale. Did see quite a bit of gaming stuff, especially original XBox and 360 stuff but I just sold all of my 360 stuff to my brother and none of the original XBox games were worth it. Almost bought a copy of Red Steel on the Wii, but when I opened the case up the disc inside was a dual-sided DVD of Grumpy Old Men.  :wall:

Anyway, picked up a copy of Encino Man on DVD for myself for $1 and a book on mammals of PA for 50 cents. The book was a bit of a guilt trip. The old woman said people were walking by her house as she must not have put her signs out to visibly from the street and had only made $3.50 in 4 hours.

Had a bit more luck finding stuff for others. I found my nephew the "90's" Batman 4-movie collection or $1. I'd bought it a year or two ago at another sale for $2. Found my brother some citronella candles as he always needs them and found my grandfather a CD of WW2 music for 50 cents. Also, found my grandmother a large print Amish book for $1 and my dad a resealed Blu-Ray of Outlander (the movie with the tagline "Beowulf Meets Predator", not the TV series) for $2.

My sister found The Adventures of Pete & Pete Season 2 before I saw it for $1. I also found her a 3DS game case for $1 that holds regular DS games. A few yard sales advertised DS games, but noone of them had any by the time we got there.

Oh and saw no less than three different Guitar Hero Wii controllers some with games. Every one was $20+, though. Two Wii systems as well, but they were $50 and $75 and one someone bought the three good games they had for $5 each.

Did pretty good today, didn't have a huge budget, but ended up not really needing one.

Sale 1:

Looney Tunes: ACME Arsenal for Wii

Huge box of Minecraft papercraft and figures

Box of Car Audio Equipment (2 small 2 channels, pair of 6x9's and some RCA's)

All for 10$

Sale 2:

3/8" Drive Mac Tools Air Impact Gun ~ 20 years old - 5$

Coleman Coffee Percolator - 2$

Sale 3:

Halo 2 Steelbook (REALLY beat up)

Soundgarden CD's - Down on the Upside + Louder than Love

Pink Floyd - The Wall CD

5$ Total

Sale 4:

Blokus Trigon board game

Mario club Nintendo poster

Small metal hidden ? block

2$ Total

Sales were just so-so today. Initially I made a list off Craigslist and went to those. $1 for a Monster High doll and $2 for an Eeyore-themed sweatshirt (could have haggled but the proceeds were going to a foster care program).

Then went to a few unlisted sales that had posted signs. That was somewhat better. Got a Gamecube with AV cord (no controllers) for $10, haggled down from $20. It has Animal Crossing and the memory card, so I'll make my money back.

Also snagged 13 kids books for $10.50 from another sale. If nobody in my family wants them, I'll flip them and make a bit of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back