The Official 2015 Yard Sale Thread Post your finds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really know much about sports autographs so forgive the stupid question here. I've got a ton of 49ers autographs from 1992/1993, among them Joe Montana. My friend's dad was their team pastor and many players were frequently at her house. Are Joe Montana autographs worth a significant amount? I know some sports celebrities constantly sign things so I have no idea what is and is not worth money.

I might have a Jerry Rice signature too. Can't remember.
The autographed mini helmets on eBay go for over $100 but all those have authentication papers so who knows how much mine is worth. I just knew these mini helmets are about 20 on their own so had to pick it up. I'm thinking about keeping it right now.

Nothing too crazy this week. Each game was $5, and the shirt was free. Was interested in the 3DS system that came with the games, but it was way overpriced.

18503304776_f6c57bce1c_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Today was pretty much a waste of time, but I did pick up this Office 2007 DVD for $1

IMG_2404_1.jpg

Looks like it has some value on ebay, and it does have an activation key on the back but I have no clue if it's used or not. Anybody know if this is safe to sell or am I going to run into trouble?

Another question, unrelated: To those who make maps for your garage sale routes, what site do you use? I always used to use Google maps, but they've completely changed it and the new version is just dreadful in my opinion. I've used Mapquest the last few weeks and it's a decent substitute, but it's really slow. Yahoo was faster, but the directions it gave were pretty screwy.

Basically nothing games wise at the yard sales today. Got lots of good cartoon DVD's all for 5$ and a couple Green Day CD's and NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 on PS2 for 2$.

Best garage sale find was the iPod, Nano 4th or 5th gen, can't remember which one that is, but it's an 8GB and I paid 10$. Also got a Marvel Poster from Walmart sealed for .50 cents.

vytymJV.jpg

So after looking more closely at the instructions that were included, it turns out those Mercedes-Benz bags are for their foldable Mountain Bikes. 

Also one of the bags had two SDG S2000 bicycle seats, those seems to worth a bit.

lvI6iR8.jpg

Today was pretty much a waste of time, but I did pick up this Office 2007 DVD for $1

IMG_2404_1.jpg

Looks like it has some value on ebay, and it does have an activation key on the back but I have no clue if it's used or not. Anybody know if this is safe to sell or am I going to run into trouble?

Another question, unrelated: To those who make maps for your garage sale routes, what site do you use? I always used to use Google maps, but they've completely changed it and the new version is just dreadful in my opinion. I've used Mapquest the last few weeks and it's a decent substitute, but it's really slow. Yahoo was faster, but the directions it gave were pretty screwy.
I sell old MS Office software all the time and it's totally fine. The serials are not one time use, rather only two computers can be using the activated software at any given time. I've sold over 50 Office/Windows products that I've bought at flea markets and thrifts and have never had an issue.

These games are worthless in both value and nostalgia to me.  I never had an atari and don't collect games for it.  That being said I got these games for free at a yard sale.  It was the end of the yard sale and everything was going to the thrift store so everything was free.  I got these games, an electronic keyboard (the music kind), a kids tent, and a new replaceable bit screw driver.  

l5bmu9q.jpg

I sell old MS Office software all the time and it's totally fine. The serials are not one time use, rather only two computers can be using the activated software at any given time. I've sold over 50 Office/Windows products that I've bought at flea markets and thrifts and have never had an issue.
Is there a way I can check to see if the code on my copy has been used without activating it?

Today I managed to grab a complete and good condition copy of Crash Badicoot 2 (greatest hits) for ps1 and the holographic cover for crash warped for $1 at a yard sale. Crash warped was missing everything but the holo cover and was hoping for other games but there were no others. Either way $1 for Crash 2 was pretty sweet. I was very excited. Excited to keep going to yard sales this summer after today's deal.

Is there a way I can check to see if the code on my copy has been used without activating it?
There isn't any "activations" per se you literally just can't have the software open on more than two computers (that are connected to the internet). The serial key is usable infinitely.

[quote name="Doomstink" post="12730061" timestamp="1433642788"]Awakening was crazy popular and probably sold 3x the amount of previous Fire Emblem games. After it came out prices shot up on the past games.[/quote]
The GameCube fire emblem was still expensive before Awakening released. I remember I sold one years ago for $80 approx.

The GameCube fire emblem was still expensive before Awakening released. I remember I sold one years ago for $80 approx.
I know it was always above $60 (at least since I started selling games in 2007), but it's only recently gone above $90. I can only imagine Awakening played a hand in that.

I know it was always above $60 (at least since I started selling games in 2007), but it's only recently gone above $90. I can only imagine Awakening played a hand in that.
Yep. That and the Wii game hovered at the same price for a long time, until Awakening became such a hit. Then both games shot up. I still remember discussing it on CAG, probably in the 2012/2013 yard sale thread.

Well CAG, I didn't go out on Saturday morning due to being laid up with a 'roid; however, I did follow up a lead from last week's yard-sale action (without phone confirmation no less, I actually had to drive out without being sure whether my contact would be there). Fortunately he was, and like an expert magician he conjured a friend of his within 20 minutes. Needless to say I wasn't sure what to expect from this Dragon Warrior-like summoning-- though when Contact B brought out four tupperware bins that were barely portable from his car, I knew that groovy-time was about to occur. 

Okay, so maybe it wasn't all that easy. I knew right off the bat when facing a volume deal like this (a later count revealed nine systems and a little over 100 games in all) that a $5 or $10 offer wasn't going to fly. A part of me was tempted to look through the lot bit by bit with a piece of paper and pen just to get a handle on what was there. In situations like this, you don't want to insult the seller because they could come back with an enormous sum. Ultimately though I scrapped the full valuation idea or even looking at everything and pitched on what I saw so far: $60.

To which I quickly added that I could look some more. This was where it got tricky, since the seller showed no inclination one way or another and told me I could take my time. I could easily get caught in a situation of bidding myself up; what would I be comfortable paying?

After a time, I then asked the seller if they had any counter-offer thoughts. "One hundred dollars and it's yours," they said. Done.

So here's the neat thing about all of this, while I may not be able to sit squarely on my ass at the moment, this is the first time ever that I've encountered a Sega Saturn or Sega CD in the wild, over the course of my five years of active hunting and beyond. It was always, "Nah, I'll never break down and buy those systems unless they're bundled with games." NOW I HAVE DONE SO, IN USING YARD SALE POWERS IN TANDEM WITH VERY GENEROUS PEOPLE.

Note: Fuzzy pictures are of the highlights only; I won't bore you with the PS2 console, the n64 console, and the Dreamcast console. There's also a Wii which... HOW DARE YOU EXIST BESIDE THIS GLORIOUS SATURN?!?

Saturn%20Find_zpsb8uhuxaz.jpg

Saturn%20Find%201_zpscvn4tncw.jpg

Saturn%20Find%202_zpscdtdleg3.jpg

Edit: Here's a list of the Sega Saturn games, as the pics may not give you the full impact.

- Dragon Force
- Command & Conquer
- Tetris Plus
- Mr. Bones
- Quake
- Sonic 3D Blast
- Shining the Holy Ark
- Tomb Raider (2x)
- Hexen
- D
- Saturn Bomberman
- Enemy Zero
- Braindead 13
- Lunacy
- Resident Evil
- Dark Savior
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Iron Storm
- Three Dirty Dwaves
- Bubble Bobble (also featuring rainbow islands)
- Crusader No Remorse
- Wipeout
- Bug Too!

Saturn%20Find%203_zps0qtb71fc.jpg

Saturn%20Find%204_zpseid2tn8e.jpg

Saturn%20Find%205_zpsukrv07kd.jpg

Saturn%20Find%206_zpsy6n6yiow.jpg

Last edited:
Just check the Price of Fire Emblem WTF why does it cost so much??
On a sidenote, if you ever decide to play it, expect about half the game to be pure dialog. We're talking about worse than Xenogears 1 hour long cut-scenes here. I've got the strategy guide and I'm still 10 missions away.

Well CAG, I didn't go out on Saturday morning due to being laid up with a 'roid; however, I did follow up a lead from last week's yard-sale action (without phone confirmation no less, I actually had to drive out without being sure whether my contact would be there). Fortunately he was, and like an expert magician he conjured a friend of his within 20 minutes. Needless to say I wasn't sure what to expect from this Dragon Warrior-like summoning-- though when Contact B brought out four tupperware bins that were barely portable from his car, I knew that groovy-time was about to occur.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't all that easy. I knew right off the bat when facing a volume deal like this (a later count revealed nine systems and a little over 100 games in all) that a $5 or $10 offer wasn't going to fly. A part of me was tempted to look through the lot bit by bit with a piece of paper and pen just to get a handle on what was there. In situations like this, you don't want to insult the seller because they could come back with an enormous sum. Ultimately though I scrapped the full valuation idea or even looking at everything and pitched on what I saw so far: $60.

To which I quickly added that I could look some more. This was where it got tricky, since the seller showed no inclination one way or another and told me I could take my time. I could easily get caught in a situation of bidding myself up; what would I be comfortable paying?

After a time, I then asked the seller if they had any counter-offer thoughts. "One hundred dollars and it's yours," they said. Done.

So here's the neat thing about all of this, while I may not be able to sit squarely on my ass at the moment, this is the first time ever that I've encountered a Sega Saturn or Sega CD in the wild, over the course of my five years of active hunting and beyond. It was always, "Nah, I'll never break down and buy those systems unless they're bundled with games." NOW I HAVE DONE SO, IN USING YARD SALE POWERS IN TANDEM WITH VERY GENEROUS PEOPLE.

Note: Fuzzy pictures are of the highlights only; I won't bore you with the PS2 console, the n64 console, and the Dreamcast console. There's also a Wii which... HOW DARE YOU EXIST BESIDE THIS GLORIOUS SATURN?!?

Saturn%20Find_zpsb8uhuxaz.jpg

Saturn%20Find%201_zpscvn4tncw.jpg

Saturn%20Find%202_zpscdtdleg3.jpg

Saturn%20Find%203_zps0qtb71fc.jpg

Saturn%20Find%204_zpseid2tn8e.jpg

Saturn%20Find%205_zpsukrv07kd.jpg

Saturn%20Find%206_zpsy6n6yiow.jpg
All that for a $100 damn you made out like a bandit nice find

And my jaw is dropping on some of these Sega Saturn games. Lunacy is worth how much?

All that for a $100 damn you made out like a bandit nice find
Thanks, when I saw the Enemy Zero and the Bomberman I didn't even want to look at the rest; like they'd all suddenly turn into empty cases or something.

Few more things to post. Got 5 Batman Arkham Origin steelbook cases for $5 total.... why they had 5 I don't know. Gonna guess the guy works at Best Buy since there's large stickers on the back with Best Buy info. Wolfenstein was $7, my first Xbox One game find so far this gen. Xbox and PS2 games were $1 each. Wii Fit stuff $5.

Also got a 32" Sony HDTV for $45, guitar hero guitar for $2

4ha1Bj1.jpg
Yes the Batman Metalpaks were the BB preorder bonus for Arkham Origins. Such a fiasco I swore never to preorder a game from BB again, GCU be damned.

I went to another part of Brooklyn today thinking there was going to be a huge yard sale, but was disappointed when I all found was $20 OG xboxes in horrid shape. Didn't get those of course. What I got from the area was a complete copy of Raiden IV at their local gamestop.

Went home and found a yard sale, which was on during a huge street fair. I avoided the street fair because it is usually people hawking iphone cases or crappy jewelry, or overpriced Italian food, all of which can be gotten several times a year. Anyway, the sale had a lot of Star Trek and Wars toys but only had enough for a few dolls, one of which was the Spock doll from City on the Edge of Tomorrow (the 1930s episode).

Spock_City.jpg

Of course I also got a regular Kirk, McCoy, and Sulu. Wish they had Scotty.

Dragon Force is an awesome game. I need to dig that out and play it again. Great find on the rest of that stuff too, but that game is one of the best ever.

Spent $110 over the weekend
-A Indigo GC with 3 controllers and no power brick for $15
-Got a 120 GB slim for $65 with Black Ops 2 and a ps3 controller
-2 DS games for $6
-Plat GC controller for a $1
-2 Shovelware GC games for $1
-New Super Mario Bros and another copy of Mario Party 8 for Wii for $16
Passed on shovelware Wii and over priced PS2 games. Saw a 320 GB Modern Warfare 360 console for $50

Anyways I'll post the fun story on The Gamer's Lounge later this week

So, I threw that MS Office up on ebay and the listing was just removed...

Your listing was removed after the rights owner notified us that your item violated their software licensing rights. Some software companies have specific licensing agreements that restrict the resale of their software. If you don't have permission to resell their software on eBay, you may be violating this agreement.
Why mine and not the other dozen or so that are still up for sale? Almost all of them have the "not for resale" in plain sight so I don't know what to think.

And just so this isn't totally off-topic...that Saturn lot is epic! At least two games in that lot are worth more than you paid for the whole thing. Damn.

So, I threw that MS Office up on ebay and the listing was just removed...

Why mine and not the other dozen or so that are still up for sale? Almost all of them have the "not for resale" in plain sight so I don't know what to think.

And just so this isn't totally off-topic...that Saturn lot is epic! At least two games in that lot are worth more than you paid for the whole thing. Damn.
I had no idea what "Home Use Program" was until now and it looks like it's a service where Microsoft offers severely cost reduced software. I wish I had noticed that before. They watch discount software like a hawk. I tried to resell some software from MSDNAA a long time ago and that did not go so well.

Did you put "Home Use Program" in your listing title? You may have used keywords that tipped them off.

Any of you guys finding things live in Tampa? I see maybe one or two yard sales driving around and never bothered to stop...maybe some stuff's hidden from street view idk

Any of you guys finding things live in Tampa? I see maybe one or two yard sales driving around and never bothered to stop...maybe some stuff's hidden from street view idk
Scott from youtube JDHMF pretty much monopolized the Tampa area.
They started on youtube like 4-5 years ago just doing their local flea markets then became regular vendors reselling there to recently being able to open a game store in the Tampa saint petersburg area.

The flea markets down there like Wagon wheel are heavilty dominated by them. Those are the kind of flea markets that always have a reseller vendor setting up. As long as a video game reseller is at where you hunt you're only option is to get there early while people unpack, scout a few times and get done and back home early.

If you know there are resellers that frequent the area you hunt and you go there 10-12 in the afternoon then you're wasting your time. Those guys are there ready to hunt while its still dark. Because its FL its year round too.

Tampa area is like what the game chasers did to Dallas and Houston Texas. The guy from JDHMF has been together with the game chasers in each others videos and at conventions doing panels together.

I hunt the more rural areas just north of Tampa. But I tend to stay away from the big cities like Orlando and Gainsville.

There's a bunch of resellers and game stores around me here in Baltimore, but fortunately most are too scared to come inside 695 Beltway and stay in the suburbs. Bless those silly, scared white people.

I'm actually going to retire from video game hunting in probably one more year if the trend stays the same or gets worse.

I did good collecting in the wild over the last 6 years. Till this day still haven't bought one video game on ebay.

My recent sega collection pickup I got was so extensive and good that I will at least slow my hunting down after my last score.

I don't see the point in spending too much time when you are content with your collection. Like PAT the NES punk has like a complete collection of everything but yet makes two types of videos. One called flea market madness. Then he does videos called scumbag reseller of the week calling people out. Kind of ironic when he should call himself out.

Every kid and their mom wants to nickel and dime video game flipping now like its pokemon holographics  and beanie babies going to trade them at the hobby store for a buck.

My focus now is to get back to high high end bar-tending. Make money. Possibly go to college. I will go to flea markets occasionally after that like no more then once a month. Then when I have that kind of spending money I won't waste time hunting any more ill just go to ebay be selective in what I want and be done with it.

Garage sales and thrift stores will slowly dwindle down. I will still frequent them but not to the extent that I go out of my way just for them in the manner I would.

Going to start focusing that free time I use for hunting games, sitting on ebay all day refreshing things etc etc... to instead do things I enjoy more. Play more video games instead and go out and socialize more with people doing more out of home activities.

Not quitting gaming in the slightest but with the current trend I will try to focus on other priorities now.

I had no idea what "Home Use Program" was until now and it looks like it's a service where Microsoft offers severely cost reduced software. I wish I had noticed that before. They watch discount software like a hawk. I tried to resell some software from MSDNAA a long time ago and that did not go so well.

Did you put "Home Use Program" in your listing title? You may have used keywords that tipped them off.
I didn't, although I think the word "product key" might've been in there. If you search "office enterprise 2007" you'll see a bunch of listings that are clearly the exact same thing and a ton of sold ones as well, some of which even used the same phrase.

I'll give it another shot, maybe with a less wordy title and description they won't have as much to go on. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm actually going to retire from video game hunting in probably one more year if the trend stays the same or gets worse.

I did good collecting in the wild over the last 6 years. Till this day still haven't bought one video game on ebay.

My recent sega collection pickup I got was so extensive and good that I will at least slow my hunting down after my last score.

I don't see the point in spending too much time when you are content with your collection. Like PAT the NES punk has like a complete collection of everything but yet makes two types of videos. One called flea market madness. Then he does videos called scumbag reseller of the week calling people out. Kind of ironic when he should call himself out.

Every kid and their mom wants to nickel and dime video game flipping now like its pokemon holographics and beanie babies going to trade them at the hobby store for a buck.

My focus now is to get back to high high end bar-tending. Make money. Possibly go to college. I will go to flea markets occasionally after that like no more then once a month. Then when I have that kind of spending money I won't waste time hunting any more ill just go to ebay be selective in what I want and be done with it.

Garage sales and thrift stores will slowly dwindle down. I will still frequent them but not to the extent that I go out of my way just for them in the manner I would.

Going to start focusing that free time I use for hunting games, sitting on ebay all day refreshing things etc etc... to instead do things I enjoy more. Play more video games instead and go out and socialize more with people doing more out of home activities.

Not quitting gaming in the slightest but with the current trend I will try to focus on other priorities now.
Honestly, sounds like a good plan in general. I see people out there getting more games than me and sort of lament my inability to run out at a moment's notice, but that's all due to the fact that I've got decent job, I'm going to grad school, and have family. None of the stuff we post here is any good unless you're in a place in your life where you can actually enjoy it.

I'm thinking about starting to go to Thursday sales every week, even though there usually aren't a whole lot. Anyone else do this? Is it worth it?

Some weeks I do Thursday, some I do Friday. I prefer Friday because there are more sales but sometimes if a lot start Thursday there will already be a ton picked over.

Helped my brother move into his new house last weekend, found out there is a neighborhood sale there this coming weekend.  It is a newer neighborhood (about 6-7 years old) with over 800 houses that are about $160k+.  I was thinking of checking it out but I'm pretty sure I'll find mostly newer stuff and I bet the neighboring communities will flock there.  Not to mention that the asking price on most things there will probably be higher than I'm used to. 

Should I give it a shot?  I've had limited luck at home this year. 

Honestly, sounds like a good plan in general. I see people out there getting more games than me and sort of lament my inability to run out at a moment's notice, but that's all due to the fact that I've got decent job, I'm going to grad school, and have family. None of the stuff we post here is any good unless you're in a place in your life where you can actually enjoy it.
I still enjoy the hunt, buy you are right it has gotten worse and worse over the last few years. I spend too much time looking into the price of stuff and spending time here and on SD

Wait, I could be doing panels/making money from this? I guess I need to start recording myself. Opportunity missed.
And the videos you make don't even have to be particularly good. I watched a JDHMF video because Youtube recommended it - there was not really anything extraordinary about it. It was mostly just him in front of a camera holding up what he got and then saying what he paid.

I guess this really shouldn't surprise me in a world where videos of Thomas the Tank Engine toys getting knocked over rack up millions of views a piece.

And the videos you make don't even have to be particularly good. I watched a JDHMF video because Youtube recommended it - there was not really anything extraordinary about it. It was mostly just him in front of a camera holding up what he got and then saying what he paid.

I guess this really shouldn't surprise me in a world where videos of Thomas the Tank Engine toys getting knocked over rack up millions of views a piece.
Eh? He provides more content than just him showing off what he got at yardsales. He also has videos of him flipping stuff at his local flee market etc. He's also one of the most educated in terms of knowing the value of video games, and doesn't really slip at yardsales. That, and he's well spoken

Every kid and their mom wants to nickel and dime video game flipping now like its pokemon holographics and beanie babies going to trade them at the hobby store for a buck.

Aye, I'm taking a break. I'm actually pretty damn good at yardsales, but the reselling side of it is so damn taxing. This stuff is always filthy, or missing something, and welp with my OCD it's time consuming as fark ;(

Eh? He provides more content than just him showing off what he got at yardsales. He also has videos of him flipping stuff at his local flee market etc. He's also one of the most educated in terms of knowing the value of video games, and doesn't really slip at yardsales. That, and he's well spoken
I would have to disagree.

His videos are very low production quality, he has very little video editing skill. He doesn't have much knowledge about any games other then the value of them.

All he basically does is find games he know he can flip and show them on camera. He's a nice guy but I wouldn't say he does anything too special.

Even game chases aren't anything special. Billy and Jay were cool to me when I started watching them like 4 years ago. Now I look at them like incompetent knuckleheads and I'm the pot head calling the kettle stupid.

Billy and Jay strive for too much comedy satire and less knowledgeable information on the topic at hand.

Watch gaming historian or Pete Dorr on youtube if you want to see real useful content. Happyconsole gamer and metal Jesus rocks are decent to.

I watch alphaOmegaSin but he gets more angry then AVGN in his videos. He makes my blood pressure rise watching his videos like he's at a metal concert while making his videos.

Aye, I'm taking a break. I'm actually pretty damn good at yardsales, but the reselling side of it is so damn taxing. This stuff is always filthy, or missing something, and welp with my OCD it's time consuming as fark ;(
I have a problem with cleaning everything and saving stuff waiting for its other half. It piles up.

---

As far as production goes, if I were ever to do a youtube thing, I would need someone else to do 95% of everything. I would just need to be the knowledge base for everything non gaming. I'm not interesting enough to carry a "show". We would need a cute chick or a guy that knew more about game values. I would have to be in the "ask the old guy" segment or something. I would rather do something that taught people something, but it seems like comedy is needed to keep people's attention.

I could probably handle a podcast. A CAG asked me to do one a few years ago, but I don't think it ever materialized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back