The Official 2015 Yard Sale Thread Post your finds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this happened...

I noticed this at a sale with a sign that said "make an offer" I looked closer to make sure the plastic was in good shape and I saw a sign under the other sign, that said "out of order". I asked the lady about the item and I said "So it isn't working, huh? She said it broke when they were having a family gathering and that it needed a part, but her husband was too lazy to try to fix it. We talked a little more and she told me they were moving. The offer in my head dropped, since I knew they would want to dump it (TBH I wasn't sure what to offer, but Doc that runs galloping ghost arcade told me in the past he would take a look at something if it wasn't working to give me an idea what it would cost to fix). After talking a while, she said, "You know, what? You are the only person who asked me about it. You can have it!" I thanked her a few times and I took it home.

EPIC FREEBIE:

Japanese Snow King Pachislo Slot Machine.

After looking up the error code and opening up the machine, I found out it only needed to be reset. Seems to be working just fine. :whee:

:bouncy:

more to come!

Seriously. A fricking slot machine people! For free! Even I am impressed. :speaktothehand:

So I feel a little dirty. I did something I don't normally do and I drove by two sales that start early tomorrow. Both were open, so I swung by and charmed my way into both. The first one was the lady that I bought a lot of PS2 games from last year (that I don't think I posted yet :oops: ). She recognized me and said "You are the video game guy! I remember you!" I could smell booze on her breath, so I think she was a little more open to the idea of me taking a look early. She even asked me to stay a few minutes when someone else drove up in case they were a creeper. :lol: 

She has a PSP, a vita, and a DSiXL. I know she won't deal early or even on the first day (she was talking shit about Chester the molester trying to buy everything really cheap before she opened last year, which was funny that she remembered him) so I ended up leaving the big stuff for now. The vita was tempting for $100, since I do not have one, but I believe it is the wifi only version. I bought a couple small things from her, but I figure I can sleep on buying the vita.

The 2nd sale, I happened to recognize the woman that was standing in the garage. I was at her sale last week and she remembered I asked about games, so she said: "This is my friends house and they have a ton of games!" Easy in for me. I took a look at what they had and cherry picked a few gems for $7.

It is nice to take the pressure off for the morning, but I feel guilty for stopping by early. :???:  :whistle2:

Man, I miss yard sales. They don't have them very often in this tiny border town, and yard sales with video games are rarer still.

Really rough day today... first sale I went to advertised PS2/PS1/DS/Xbox games for 1-3 dollars. Started at 8 and I planned to get there a few minutes before open but I got sick this morning and got delayed about 20 mintutes. When I got there at 10 after 8 all that was left were a few crap DS games and a Tiger Woods PS2 game. Guy said someone got there about 10 minutes before me and bought about 20 games... could have been the difference between a good and a bad day for me...  I grabbed some stuff but only bought anything at 3 sales and most of what I did grab were just because I wasn't finding much and they were cheap. Only 2 items I'm even slightly excited about...

My first "score" of the day was at a church sale. DVDs/CDs (aka games) were supposed to be $1.00. When I got up there they decided thick ones were $2.00 because they had 2 discs. (not crazy about it but couldn't argue too much as I didn't want them to check the 24 case or Shogun case and realize each were 6 discs, ha ha) So for $12.00 I got:

Shogun (DVD) (probably my best score today, goes for around 30)
Bringing Up Baby (DVD) (was afraid I had it already but nope, glad to get this, one of my favorite movies)
The Clock (DVD)
24 Season 7 (DVD)
Coolboarders 2 (PS1)
Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
Twisted Metal (PS1)
Tomb Raider II (PS1)
Test Drive V (PS1)
NFL Blitz (PS1)

My next score was at a sale with REALLY overpriced stuff. I'm talking GTA Vice City and GTA 3 for PS2 for 15 each, Bioshock for 360 for 25, that sort of overpriced. Wii and DS stuff was more reasonable but almost entirely kids stuff. I was surprised to find Way of the Samurai 2 (my other find I'm happy about) for $5.00. Offered $6.00 for that and Wii Sports (had 3 on it)  and they took it.

My last find of the day was a place where all games were $1.00 and they had a ton of PS2 games with a few Xbox mixed in. Unfortunately mostly junk, either they never had anything good or it was picked over. Still, I grabbed:

Burnout Revenge (PS2)
NFL Street 2 (PS2)
Wreckless the Yakuza Missions (Xbox)
Wrestlemania 21 (Xbox)

Also grabbed a few okay CDs at a sale 5 for 1.00 just to give me some music to listen to while driving around.

Bad day today. Only made 2 purchases total. One at a garage sale and one at a thrift store. The garage sale find was a fat PS2 with two controllers, a memory card with a coaster...I mean a copy of Madden 02 in it for $5.

most of the yardsales i went to were heavily picked over.  didnt look like they sold games anyway.  did find these 2.  the seller had some xbox 360 games as well.  i wasn't interested in them cause i lack the system but i may head back there tommorow to see if i can negotiate a lower price.  maybe get some gamestop funds.  both of them had that purple back to the disk so it was hard for my ps2 to read them to make sure they work.  they both do.  i plan on selling both online.

Y1uANBZ.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked like it was going to be the worse day ever. Only had purchased stuff at one sale until the last one.

$4.50 - Ti-85, sealed Kaos Trap, 5 more look Sylanders trap

$25 - 25 games including good ones like - Diablo PS1, Bust-A-Grove PS1, RE3 PS1, Baldur's Gate Xbox, Mega Man Collection PS2, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 PS2 and a bunch of other Spyros, Crash Bandicoots, etc.

I was driving home disappointed when I saw this sign and hit up right about 11 and found these. i left my name and number for more if they find them.

It has been slim pickings this year. Done at 11 never happened last year. I would go until like 1pm or so and then just end it because it was so late.

IMG_2436.jpg

:wii: Mario Kart, Mario Party 8, Super Smash Bros. Brawl - $1 each

:ps2: Taito Legends, Gran Turismo 4 - $1 each, both sealed

WoW Mega Bloks Dragon Turtle (sealed) - $2

:wii: System w/ stand, power, & video cable - $12

The Wii games are going straight to Gamestop for a frankly ridiculous profit margin thanks to the trade-in promo they're doing this weekend. The system was from a different sale, marked $20, but missing the sensor bar and had no controllers so it wasn't hard to haggle down to only $12.

The PS2 games came out of a box of mostly-junk which included some other sealed games I didn't feel like gambling on. I thought I already had Taito Legends, but nope, I have Taito Legends 2. :lol:

Spent more than I planned today, but had a pretty good haul - considering the muffler fell off my fiances car halfway through the morning and I missed an advertised 360 bundle by mere minutes.

DS Lite with the games was $20.  They wanted $25, but since it was a kid selling his stuff, I didn't want to lowballing asshole.  Other games were $25 for the lot.  Like I said, more than I'd like to spend, but well worth it.

The Gamecube lot was at a sale I go to every year.  I actually initially skipped this sale - I was going to hit it on the way home - when the muffler fell off the car.  I was so frustrated, I was going to call it a day and went home.  When I got home, I jumped on Facebook and saw the ad with pics for the sale and PMed the lady, asking to hold the bundle for me and I'd be there in less than 20 minutes.  Paid $50 for the lot.  Once again, more than I would have liked to spend, but still not a bad deal.

Ran into a Genisis for the first time in about 3 years.  It was in a box with a bunch of crap piled on it so I figured they wouldn't want much.  It had all hook ups, two controllers, cleaning cartridge and 8 meh games.  She said she sold a N64 with a bunch of games for $30 a few months ago so that's what she wanted for these.  Pass.  They also had a battered Wii with no controllers in a box of junk.  Asked about games for it and they said they had some inside.  After looking for awhile they took my number and said they would give me a call.  Not holding my breath.

The copy of Kingdom Hearts 2 I got is complete and mint which is nice. Also included in the case were mapquest directions to a strip club and a bunch of printout from the strip club's website. I know I always bring my PS2 collection down to pervert row at the local strip club lol.

I'm guessing it must've been a son who still lived at home hiding it from his family. Or maybe the old man hiding it from the wife.

The copy of Kingdom Hearts 2 I got is complete and mint which is nice. Also included in the case were mapquest directions to a strip club and a bunch of printout from the strip club's website. I know I always bring my PS2 collection down to pervert row at the local strip club lol.

I'm guessing it must've been a son who still lived at home hiding it from his family. Or maybe the old man hiding it from the wife.
Sora be a freak son!

Forward directions pls.

I finally got around to really checking out the games and getting ready to list the ones I'm not keeping and saw that the screen printing on one of the Super Mario Sunshines is all wrinked.  It plays fine, but WTF would cause this?  Just a factory botch job? 

I used to work for a screen printing company and this would happen occasionally on bottles, but I've never seen it happen on a game disc. 

Nope, disc is in overall good condition otherwise.  A few scratches, but that's it.  Looks like I'll be keeping this copy and selling the other one.

Here are some pickups from the past week. Nothing too crazy, but no complaints. 

19678290764_ec6eb6053a_k.jpg

$18 for everything. The woman at the very next table (multi-family sale) had the same DS for sale for $50. This one was in better shape, and a fraction of the price. Really enjoying Super Princess Peach, BTW.

20292534802_3ffe4391c7_k.jpg

20306903021_c275e2e652_k.jpg

$50 for the Wii with accessories and games. Wiis in my neck of the woods still sell for $50-$100 dollars without any games, so it was a no brainer pickup. Keeping seven games (first pic), and selling the rest (second pic). Not shown - all the hookups, two extra controllers and nunchuks, a game pad for Active Life, steering wheel, and a wireless Nintendo brand motion sensor. 

19679942663_4779050013_k.jpg

$20 for everything. Fifteen games complete in box, one controller, and another eight games loose in the CD case. Highlight of the lot is Megaman X: Command Mission. Need to start curating my PS2 collection, but this was the right price. 

Here are some pickups from the past week. Nothing too crazy, but no complaints.

$18 for everything. The woman at the very next table (multi-family sale) had the same DS for sale for $50. This one was in better shape, and a fraction of the price. Really enjoying Super Princess Peach, BTW.

$50 for the Wii with accessories and games. Wiis in my neck of the woods still sell for $50-$100 dollars without any games, so it was a no brainer pickup. Keeping seven games (first pic), and selling the rest (second pic). Not shown - all the hookups, two extra controllers and nunchuks, a game pad for Active Life, steering wheel, and a wireless Nintendo brand motion sensor.

$20 for everything. Fifteen games complete in box, one controller, and another eight games loose in the CD case. Highlight of the lot is Megaman X: Command Mission. Need to start curating my PS2 collection, but this was the right price.
good find

Not, my best weekend at the yard-sales but, at least I found something. The PS1-2 games were a buck a piece and the cartridge games were 3 for $20 (not super cheap but, I wanted these for my collection, so whatevs). I hate the GTA series so, I'll probably trade or sell it off. If anyone's interested in GTA, make me an offer (I'm looking for cases and manuals, for some of my loose PS1 and DreamCast discs).

[attachment=16274:Kranekin aug findz.PNG]

Today's finds. Commodore VIC-20 with box: $15. Logitech mouse: $2. GOTG movie, new: $10

Felt like taking a risk on some 1980s toys. I don't know much about them. Was $7 for all the He-Man stuff a good deal? Also got a Matchbox Carry Case for $2, that's probably from the 80s as well.

bQiiX54.jpg

DSveMB6.jpg

BR05O4L.jpg

I'll probably be in that same neighborhood again tomorrow that had the 1980s toys for more yard sales. That house also had vehicles from He-Man sets for $1 each. Wonder if I should go get those as well...

Nice heman/thundercats lot!

I found a lot of old toys today. Missed a couple pokemon games, picked up some stuff from a sale I left a couple weeks ago for 1/5 of the price (same exact items. I could tell by the assortment and stickers). Got some free vintage yamaha speakers.

the gamecube games were bundled together as $2.  I only wanted Chibi-Robo! out of it but whatever.  theres a used game store i go to often.  could try to get some store credit from them.
Punch out came with boxing gloves from gamestop.  will probably give those to my nephew
got mario /sonic and star wars for 1 dollar each for my nephew for xmas.  he loves sonic, strangely more then mario.  both were a dollar each so what the hell?
overall, spent $9 and looking up the pricing for Chibi robo, i could potentially sell that for $30-$50 on ebay so i walked away very happy

xWHdlwU.png

Today's finds. Commodore VIC-20 with box: $15. Logitech mouse: $2. GOTG movie, new: $10

Felt like taking a risk on some 1980s toys. I don't know much about them. Was $7 for all the He-Man stuff a good deal? Also got a Matchbox Carry Case for $2, that's probably from the 80s as well.

DSveMB6.jpg
I remember that car from M.A.S.K. That series was only around a few years because they had some terrible story lines. I remember it started off with M.A.S.K. fighting V.E.N.O.M. to keep them from doing evil things. By the end of the series they were in races against each other every episode. Talk about lack of creativity!

Also, that Matchbox carry case was from the early 80's. Hard to find them in decent shape since they were no more than vinyl and cardboard. I ended up paying $15 for a decent one at a flea market like the one I had as a kid.

I usually get up at like 7 - 730 on Saturdays to get ready and make a list. Went on craigslist to look up yardsales and there are only 4 listed semi close by.  There are so many less sales this year than before.

I usually get up at like 7 - 730 on Saturdays to get ready and make a list. Went on craigslist to look up yardsales and there are only 4 listed semi close by. There are so many less sales this year than before.
If you have an android phone, check out Garage Sales, Everywhere! It uses craigslist to drop pins on the map for all garage sales for the day you choose, and has the option for navigation. I go through the sales the night before, and color code the pins by priority of which sound most promising.

Community yard sale in my area so the wife decided to clean house but so far it's been a dud. We live one street away from the Main Street in our town and up there it's bumping. We have plenty of signs pointing our way but no hits. It sucks because I have to leave for work in a little bit and she will be stuck with the clean up.

Is the figure on the right from the He-Man series? Or is it G.I. Joe... It was from the same house that had the He-Man stuff I bought yesterday.

8QbxRfU.jpg

Oh lmao. Just found it on eBay. It's part of a toy series called Karate Commandos. From 1986. Paid $1 for it so I think I got an ok deal on it.

It's obviously Cartoon Network, based on his belt buckle.
That show was on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim line-up briefly. Oh man, was it bad. If it tells you anything, the lead villain was named "Super Ninja" and there was a sumo wrestler named "Tabe" (Japanese for "to eat"). They paired it up with Mr. T's short-lived cartoon, also quite awful.

Haven't posted in a bit but I've had some luck recently. Not Slowdive epic but solid. However, I did want to jump in on the locating garage sales conversation. I am not in a town big enough for Craigslist or gsalr so I rely on local forum and... The newspaper. Luckily ours is free online so I always check it the night before and has led to some promising deals.

Hit up a few sales. Got RE4 and Metroid Prime 3 for Wii for $6 together. Got Call of Duty 4 for ps3 for $3 and Rayman for PS1 for $1

I also snagged a Sega Saturn in a large foam case (the kind they used to have at blockbuster for weekend rentals) for $20

Yeah, there was a whole set of them, with different Chuck figs. There was also a cartoon.
and a 4 issue Marvel/STAR comic book series. ;)

That show was on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim line-up briefly. Oh man, was it bad. If it tells you anything, the lead villain was named "Super Ninja" and there was a sumo wrestler named "Tabe" (Japanese for "to eat"). They paired it up with Mr. T's short-lived cartoon, also quite awful.
It only lasted 6 or so episodes IIRC. I remember there was one when he was in outer space without a spacesuit. I think he was bare chested. haha

Ended up with a few good finds today.  No pics right now, though.

For $25, I ended up with a NES (Console only) Mini SNES with cables and controller (but power plug on the back of the console is messed up), console only Genesis 1 and a black gamecube with cables and controllers.  Also got a blue Dual Shock 3 for $1 and a Wacom Bamboo tablet (with pen) for $5 from the same sale.

At another sale I ended up getting a bunch of Pokemon DS games for $10 ea.  Not the best deal ever, but I should at least double my money once they sell.  Black, black 2, white, white 2, Soul Silver (big box minus pokewalker), Platinum and Diamond, all complete with manuals and inserts.  It's a fuck ing shame I didn't get these last week, because they would have made me a killing at Gamestop during the flipstravaganza.

From another sale I ended up with a bag of original Ninja Turtle figures for $1 and a box with two HUGE binders of pokemon cards, other misc (Yugioh?) cards, a few figures (Misty, Jessie and talking Meowth) for $5.

And then I got 5 for so of the original Burger King Star Wars glasses from the 80s for $5 total.

Wasn't a crazy week, but still managed to snag a few interesting items. 

19819419704_c9f5f6de1e_k.jpg

$15 for everything. Sixteen games, including a couple of Pokemon titles, Phantasy Star 0, and Suikoden. I haven't tried to sell any of my recent DS finds (I'm at 4 lots and counting in the last couple of weeks), but based on the current going prices, I think I should have a solid return on my investments. 

20442074405_ce55c1bbc7_k.jpg

Found these at a rural sale. One of the people who ran the sale used to work for Pepsi, and had these two promotional items amongst his junk. $3 for both items. Should be able to turn a nice profit on these locally, although I am considering keeping the Splash Dance radio. 

Was done yesterday at 10 am. Only hit like 6 sales. Very sad that only that much were out.

Ended up paying less than $10 for the day.

$2 - Star Wars BattleFront for Xbox

$6 - Mario / Sonic Olympics for Wii, Gallop and Ride, Prof Layton Spectre, another Prof Layton game, and some brain teaser DS game.

I remembered Gallop and Ride was like 10 or 15 dollars from last year so I grabbed it too.

Weak weak weak weekend, but at least the stuff is all super small and takes up almost no room.

Not a find, but I hate articles like this. Now everyone will want hundreds of dollars for a quart sized bag of Lego or $100 for their beat up spinach green gameboy.

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/14-things-in-your-parents-basement-worth-serious-121931483013.html
I saw this too and I got so angry. I'm glad I am not the only person who gets pissed off at this stuff. lol

BTW I saw a $500 atari at a sale 2 weeks ago. Worst part. It was a former GS employee. He should know better. (no box, not a heavy 6 or whatever, best game was worth $15 at full retail)

Not a find, but I hate articles like this. Now everyone will want hundreds of dollars for a quart sized bag of Lego or $100 for their beat up spinach green gameboy.

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/14-things-in-your-parents-basement-worth-serious-121931483013.html
I know I'll start seeing a lot of overpriced Furbies around. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of those are worthless (or mostly worthless) so this article is going to mislead a lot of people.

Reading further, what was the author smoking? Where on Earth (or any neighboring planets) does the original Game Boy sell for $2,000?

I know I'll start seeing a lot of overpriced Furbies around. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of those are worthless (or mostly worthless) so this article is going to mislead a lot of people.

Reading further, what was the author smoking? Where on Earth (or any neighboring planets) does the original Game Boy sell for $2,000?
$2000 AUS?

But that's factory sealed and graded.

That's basically what these "journalists" do. IDK how these people have jobs. Bad research or they just echo what someone else has already written. The newest thing is they simply copy/paste an article from another source and add their commentary.

From what I've found, a lot of these articles come from people who think the listed price on Amazon or eBay reflects an item's worth. Obviously none of them have actually tried to sell anything, online or otherwise. Just because you can ask $2000 for a GameBoy doesn't mean you'll get it.

From what I've found, a lot of these articles come from people who think the listed price on Amazon or eBay reflects an item's worth. Obviously none of them have actually tried to sell anything, online or otherwise. Just because you can ask $2000 for a GameBoy doesn't mean you'll get it.
Exactly. I think I'm going to list something of mine for $2 million just for the attention it will get me from reporters like that.

Articles that get clicks are the ones that get published.  No articles get more clicks (porn aside) than ones that make mouth breathers think they are going to be rich.

Three or Four weeks ago I hit a sale with a boxed xbox and 10 or so games. I asked how much she wanted for the lot and she said $75. So I asked, "How much for just the games?" She said "$1 each?"  I pulled a few for $1 each (I haven't posted them yet, I noticed I didn't take pics of them yet :dunce: ) I thanked her and left.

Last week I notice they are having a sale again. This time it was a college aged guy. I didn't see the xbox system, so I asked him about it. He said someone bought his xbox stuff on their last sale. I asked if he minded letting me know what someone paid for it and he said $20. I died a little inside and then I said, yeah I asked about it and your mom -I assume, said $75. I really just wanted the system. He replied "Yeah, she has no clue when it comes to games...Actually I still have the system and the box if you want it. The guy who bought the games said if it has a red light it won't work. I'll sell it to you for $5 if you want to tinker with it. I looked through the box and noticed it didn't have the A/V cord. I brought it to his attention and he said "how about $2 then?"

$2 CIB xbox (when I added my extra a/v cable) system works fine BTW!

This is the other freebie I promised. I saw the GC game , so I made a bee-line for it. Almost everything the guy had, he wanted $5 for. I asked the guy about it and he said it was old and I could have it for free. I then asked about the cereal skylanders deck and he said I could have that for free too. Then he said, "I gave you two free things, you have to buy something now! (jokingly)." I continued to look and I saw a stack of blus and PS3 games. He wanted 2 for $12 on these. I talked him down to $4 total for blops 2 and for UP. The freebie is complete.

:bouncy:

more to come...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back