The Official 2015 Yard Sale Thread Post your finds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may find a AC plug in a free bin or cheap at a garage sale.

I had a bad day yesterday. I missed a n64 and a big he-man/TMNT lot ($50 for the heman/TMNT lot). Today was much better. Actually quite good for games. One lot was so good, that the lady wanted to give me my money back after I had already paid and put it in my car. I went back up the driveway to look at something else and she asked for the games back. It was an awkward situation, but I decided to keep the games. I was nice about it, but I explained that we already completed the transaction and that I lost a lot of time at her sale (waiting for her to find them). I'm sure she looked them up on her phone after I bought them and decided she wanted them back. A younger version of myself would have taken my money back and given her back the games, but I had such a shitty day yesterday that I decided sellers remorse isn't a good enough reason. I didn't pressure her to sell them and she was happy with my offer (after asking her 2 times for a price). So obviously something changed in the 5-10 minutes afterwards. I even helped her move some stuff and kept one of her displays from falling in the driveway.

You may find a AC plug in a free bin or cheap at a garage sale.

I had a bad day yesterday. I missed a n64 and a big he-man/TMNT lot ($50 for the heman/TMNT lot). Today was much better. Actually quite good for games. One lot was so good, that the lady wanted to give me my money back after I had already paid and put it in my car. I went back up the driveway to look at something else and she asked for the games back. It was an awkward situation, but I decided to keep the games. I was nice about it, but I explained that we already completed the transaction and that I lost a lot of time at her sale (waiting for her to find them). I'm sure she looked them up on her phone after I bought them and decided she wanted them back. A younger version of myself would have taken my money back and given her back the games, but I had such a shitty day yesterday that I decided sellers remorse isn't a good enough reason. I didn't pressure her to sell them and she was happy with my offer (after asking her 2 times for a price). So obviously something changed in the 5-10 minutes afterwards. I even helped her move some stuff and kept one of her displays from falling in the driveway.
As my baby would say "To bad To sad"

Out in Oregon right now, ended up driving an hour to a sale with confirmed SNES games only to find that someone who showed up an hour plus early got them all. I missed a copy of Metal Warriors which was my main reason for going out, as it's pretty much at the top of my wishlist.

Out in Oregon right now, ended up driving an hour to a sale with confirmed SNES games only to find that someone who showed up an hour plus early got them all. I missed a copy of Metal Warriors which was my main reason for going out, as it's pretty much at the top of my wishlist.
I am so sick of people like that. I went to one two weeks ago, got there 20 minutes before the advertised start time (8am) and waited a few minutes since I felt like an asshole for being there early. Turned out that someone had come by almost 2 HOURS before the scheduled start time and bought up all of their N64 stuff. fuck people like that. What kind of asshole shows up at an 8am yardsale at 6am? If it was my sale, I would have told them to fuck off.

I am so sick of people like that. I went to one two weeks ago, got there 20 minutes before the advertised start time (8am) and waited a few minutes since I felt like an asshole for being there early. Turned out that someone had come by almost 2 HOURS before the scheduled start time and bought up all of their N64 stuff. fuck people like that. What kind of asshole shows up at an 8am yardsale at 6am? If it was my sale, I would have told them to fuck off.
We put up a sign that say early birds pay double when we have garage sales.

Summer doldrums still in full effect, but got lucky and found a little somethin' today.

IMG_1002.jpg

Gamecube lot was just $8. Pokemon XD system + game w/ hookups and memory card, plus Super Monkeyball 2 and Madden / PGA Whatever 20XX. Oh and a wavebird with receiver. Finally! Possibly the lamest special edition console ever if I say so myself, but I got a good deal.

:ps2: games (Batman Begins and Rygar) were $1 each.

I've enjoyed lurking the annual garage sale thread for a while now, decided to try it myself this year. Only got a few decent things, but finally hit a real nice sale today.

JzxixL3.jpg

Spent $37 dollars total, went for the advertised gba (it was 15 w/charger, "cars" and a jap dkc1, ok price, not the best, but fully functional and I wanted it) but they just kept throwing shit at me. Tons of $1 games (limited myself to 4 and one to gift a friend I play fighting games with), a full ps2 w/2 controllers, a dvd remote and a memory card for $5 (The controller was out by itself, asked for a price, got told I had to buy the full set and for that price why the hell not), 2 GC controllers for $1 apiece, and a free HDMI cable I asked about on a whim. Couple was super nice, army man and his petite asian wife, they just kept lowballing my expectations from previous sales. One of their younger kids even commented the GC controller price was so low he'd be willing to buy it, made me laugh, gave him a dollar too.

Went home after that, there was another sale there for some charity, saw the pac-man and ghosts, they weren't as good at $2 each but I was in a good mood, ended up just giving them a 5 because I was outta singles and suck at garage saling.

loScE7u.jpg

Also, somehow I managed to lose the gba charger and hdmi cable, so I retraced my steps back to the original sale, found em both, and picked up the newly revealed pikapair for free and the dualshock 3 for $5 (was asked a price, probably could have gotten away with $3 but was feeling a little guilty).

TL;DR, was a fun outing. It's a good feeling finally finding good deals, especially after chains of $100 used 40gb ps3s and stacks of wii shovelware for $10 a pop. Not entirely sure why they priced the gba so much higher than everything else though, everything's fully functional and in good condition. Were I a more experienced man, I woulda tried to work out a bundle deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know how you guys are getting these gems, ive been to over 30+ yard sales and only gotten two "rare" games (mario kart wii/ mario tennis 64). luckily, ive found some other great things  =P~  just wish they had more games...

Catching up...These are from May/early in the season.

Paid $10 for this stuff. Mostly trade fodder

Paid $9 total for this stuff. There were about 15 PS1/PS2 games with instructions in there.

DVDs/PS1 50 cents each

$3 total

$7 total. Both puzzles are complete!

$10

more to come...

i dont know how you guys are getting these gems, ive been to over 30+ yard sales and only gotten two "rare" games (mario kart wii/ mario tennis 64). luckily, ive found some other great things =P~ just wish they had more games...
All it takes is time and a little luck. As long as you enjoy the yard sale 'process' you'll find your gems eventually. I've gotten to the point where it doesn't bother me as much to let something go or hear that I missed a find. If I find something once, I'll find it again. There are things I've found at yard sales that have had no business being at a yard sale. If video games have been hard to come by, start learning about other things as well. It's hard looking only for games anymore. Just keeping having fun on the hunt, you'll get your treasure eventually.

i dont know how you guys are getting these gems, ive been to over 30+ yard sales and only gotten two "rare" games (mario kart wii/ mario tennis 64). luckily, ive found some other great things =P~ just wish they had more games...
We'll usually hit 20-30 in a good day, and find something even remotely related to games at 5, usually one has something at least decent. But the huge lots or rare gems are not a common occurrence by any means.

That's exactly right. I usually average seeing something remotely decent every 8-10 sales. Some days you certainly get lucky and find something good at 3 of your first 5 sales. Then you'll have days where you're 15 sales in and haven't seen ANYTHING. Persistence, and asking EVERYBODY, go a long way though.

Most of my recent gaming finds were in wealthy neighborhoods. Maybe try that?

All it takes is time and a little luck. As long as you enjoy the yard sale 'process' you'll find your gems eventually. I've gotten to the point where it doesn't bother me as much to let something go or hear that I missed a find. If I find something once, I'll find it again. There are things I've found at yard sales that have had no business being at a yard sale. If video games have been hard to come by, start learning about other things as well. It's hard looking only for games anymore. Just keeping having fun on the hunt, you'll get your treasure eventually.
oh definitely! i go to yard sales not only for games but for other things as well. i just revisited this thread again and saw soo many gems. i definitely enjoy the hunt though.....got a keurig machine for a dollar :cool:

We'll usually hit 20-30 in a good day, and find something even remotely related to games at 5, usually one has something at least decent. But the huge lots or rare gems are not a common occurrence by any means.
ive been finding lots of shovelware games but i have came across a few wii systems. :???:

Most of my recent gaming finds were in wealthy neighborhoods. Maybe try that?
good point...i am not sure if my town is considered wealthy. every house has at least an acre though. :whistle2:k

Cloudy weather and I could only find 4 yardsales in my town or the next town over. Got exactly nothing. So now, this Saturday was the worst ever.

The only way it could be topped would be if I just throw some money down a storm drain on an upcoming Sturday.

Was getting ready to head out the door Sat morning.........started pouring! Hit 2 sales after it cleared up but that was after 2 and I had to work at 4. Slow summer for me, Ive only picked up that Genesis from way back in May! 

I saw this on FB for $30, so I had to pounce. The guy that sold it was a cop. Really nice guy.

Happy to get Shadowman, RE2, and of course another copy of SSB never hurts. I saw it peeking in the pic. ;)  Expansion pack works and the controller is tight.

:bouncy:

more to come...

And you didn't even ask him if it was stolen?
No, it was his. He said now that he is married he doesn't have time to play.

I waved as I parked and kept my hands in sight while I approached his cop car.

#handsupforvideogames

#n64gamesmatter

I also bought a lot from a hot female cop (she was wearing a summerdress over a bikini) this weekend from a different area. She invited me in her house and said "Don't worry. I'm a cop, so you don't have to worry about me chaining you up or something!" I should have said, "well I probably wouldn't mind"...But I decided to keep it professional. :whistle2: I haven't taken pic of that lot yet though.

The irony of asking a cop if something they're selling is stolen.....

As for the female, as long as you keep it non-specific I bet you could get away with it "I usually don't mind".  Besides, she started it!  Also, we want pics of the bikini instead.

As for the female, as long as you keep it non-specific I bet you could get away with it "I usually don't mind". Besides, she started it! Also, we want pics of the bikini instead.
The games were her stepson's, so I assume she is married. But they are selling the house, so maybe a divorce is in the works. hmm... :whistle2:k

Bought a Vectrex this weekend, but flipped it to a friend so quick (owned it for fifteen minutes) that I didn't have time to take a picture. Wasn't an amazing price ($140), but it's only the third one I've found in the wild. Also bought a boxed Zelda Windwaker Wii U with nine games, an extra controller and a Mario Amiibo for $260 - more than I usually spend on gaming items, but it was in great shape, and would cost me over $700 if I were to buy the items new. Will post pics later if anyone is interested - really enjoying the system thus far.

Went out for 2hrs and only found 1 thing......Marked $20, "I said would you take $5 for the dirty Playstation stuff". She said "how about 10 since we have it marked 20?". I said "ehhhhh", she says "7.50", I say "...6" and she finally gave in and said "fine $5". Alright Ill keep my $1 bill!

It was super dirty at the sale but I opened it up, used some compressed air, used a magic eraser and some rubbing alcohol. Cleaned up really nice. The disc tray door wont pop up much so I have to lift it when I press the open button. Memory cards had some game saves, nothing worth keeping. Played a PS1 disc and a DVD....dont actually seem to have any PS2 discs at the moment since I ripped them to my computer and play with an emulator. 

Screenshot_2015-08-31-08-53-45-1_zpshtjqktdk.jpg

Got this for 50 bucks today.. Games are Pokemon Platinum, Zoo Tycoon DS 2, Spiderman 3, SpongeBob Boating Bash, Pokémon Diamond, Phineas and Ferb, My Sims Kingdom and Beyblade...

I just checked out the systems the red one has Super Mario 3D Land on it and the Teal has Zelda Four Swords Anniversary edition downloaded on it

Got beat to some games today by Chester the Molester. But I did get a couple interesting things I did not have yet today. :)
I know how you feel. I got beat out on two games I wanted today at the Thrift store. Im going to learn how to be more agressive. Luckily they were just gamecube games. I did get mario golf advance and toy story 2 for gameboy. And a aftermarket n64 controller and two cib dreamcast games

Already done for the day. only 5 sales listed and it is already 81 degrees out. I bought 1 DVD. Fist sale I counted 22 cars and I was there 20 minutes early. Must be the lack of sales and late start time (9 AM).

Only 1 sale listed in my town, and 2 in the next town over. So I decided to just stay in and try to clean up the new house.

I bought things as well, hmm yes

U1f1v0n.jpg

Went for advertised Nintendo 64, next sale over had a buncha other game stuff so I picked that up too.

Not pictured: wii motion sensor (busted, wire was ripped out, guessing they didn't notice, it's only a $5 replacement though so I don't really mind, gonna grab a nintendo screwdriver and component wii cables anyway), n64 a/v cables (were plugged into tv), and another fully functional GBA SP, the backlit Blue Pearl version this time.

Paid $40 for the N64, kinda kicking myself for not haggling down a bit more, but still not terrible - I'm not super experienced with N64s, and wrongly assumed Pokemon Stadium would be a $20+ game by itself, because Pokemon. Didn't want to be that guy looking up prices in front of the seller, though  I did know enough to check for memory expansion (none, sadly) and controller stick tightness - they snap back to central, I'm guessing that means they're ok, always assumed a non-tight stick meant one that flopped around everywhere. Either way, I have a baseline for the system now, and know what all the cables look like in-person, so I figure I'll be able to strike a better deal in the future.

Wii was $30 complete w/games (didn't notice broken sensor cord til later), wiimotes aren't plusses but the system is gamecube-compatible, which is primarily what I want it for anyways. Problably gonna jailbreak it later
then let it rot in a corner as I keep playing newer games instead

Games are in ok condition, not great, but I figure they'll play - MK wii, Harvest Moon, Bleach, and (maybe) Lego Batman are the only real items of interest though.

Also grabbed the afforementioned gba for $10, no charger, but I have two so no biggie. Works perfectly, shoulders and all. Apparantly they have a number of DS and GBA games lyin' around somewhere too, but even though I agreed to leave and come back later, they only managed to locate the Ben 10 cartridge - which I got for free, along with the spiffy cd case w/ jumper, bleach, and ninja reflex. They had me drop my number in case the others turned up, too.

Haven't posted in a couple of weeks - consider this my catch up post. 

20998069760_111bc6cadd_k.jpg

Was out of town last weekend, so I hit up the Saturday yardsales elsewhere. Competition was seemingly fierce, but I did manage to snag a few items here and there. XBOX and XBox 360 games were $5 for the lot - dude just wanted them gone. Dark Cloud and Hack: Infection (PS2) were $4 - games weren't out, but I asked and the guy running the yard sale brought out a stack of PS2. Nothing else of note, so I picked these up and left. Mario toys were part of a action figure stack I picked up for a dollar - again, someone just wanting to clear a table. Not sure if there's anything else of note in the way of figures, so they'll probably end up in my son's toy box. Wii and Game Gear Game - FREE!

20565051453_e981160d99_k.jpg

This lot shouldn't have happened on paper - my son woke up at 4AM last night and wouldn't go back to sleep, so I skipped yard sailing and napped when he went down for his nap around 8AM. I didn't leave the house until 10:30 or so, and only walked around my neighborhood with my son in the stroller. Happened upon this lot at around 11:30 or so - dude had been open for over three hours, but no one expressed interested because the prices were too high. Grabbed everything for $55 dollars, which comes to less than $4 per item. Bam. 

Wow so much jel of everyones finds. This area has sucked this summer. People either dont have games, they "traded them in"/ "sold them when the kids moved out", want "on Ebay" prices, or just have crap games. And theres most likely competition but not many people have said "oh someone bought them earlier". I went out 2 hrs yesterday day and saw SSX 3 for Xbox and I got this for free. 

Decided to go to a labor parade w/ fam today.

Opened up gsalr out of curiosity, and:

"nintendo 64
nintendo ( nes)
Super nintendo
Nintendo ds
gameboy advance
original gameboy
gameboy color
nintendo gamecube
Play station 3
xbox 360
original xbox
xbox 1
Sega saturn
sega game gear
sega dreamcast
atari 2600

Games starting at $1 each"

With pics of cib nes final fan, startropics, pokemon, quality stuff.

This world is too much sometimes.

"Starting at."

I guarantee you it's a reseller charging prices above eBay, with some trash games priced at $1.
I agree with the reseller part, but I'd bet it's an address with no sale at all. A decoy to draw the competition away from the other sales. I see a few of those each year.

"Starting at."

I guarantee you it's a reseller charging prices above eBay, with some trash games priced at $1.
Yard sale decoys? Shit's gotten serious!
Yep, it's pretty shitty, but it actually does happen. Neckbeards be getting devious.
As much as I'd like to confirm the deep and intricate network of deception and conspiracy permeating this hobby of ours, I'm gonna have to correct you - because I went and checked it out. At 4:30 PM. Here's what I brought back:

HxsF6Dz.jpg

Got it for $20 total, the atari stuff, game gear stuff, dreamcast discs, and gamestop ps2 controller being free to take. Kirby's basically worth that alone, with Disgaea, Nep-Nep, and Revelations: The Demon Slayer (a Megami Tensei game in disguise, apparently) coming close. I almost wish I hadn't gone, because it's so painful thinking about all the swag I could've gotten away with had I gone at 9 instead of nearly seven hours later, but at least now I know that any competition for games specifically in my area is either nonexistent or really, really dumb - that listing was clear as crystal, the sale itself had a big sign reading VIDEO GAMES out in front, and they left first-party Nintendo and Weeb games there that long. There was some decent Xbox 360 stuff too, but I don't really feel like starting a collection for Microsoft stuff until I have more space. Probably could have made a decent bit reselling, but it was late and I was tired. Honestly, just picking up Wario Land 4 makes it worth it to me - been wanting that game for some time now.

Man, I haven't posted in a while. There's just not as many finds these days, lol. I at least found this decent stuff on, Saturday. The N64 and Star Soldier (fun Hudson Soft side-scrolling shooter) were $5. Kirby, Dragon Lair, Sapphire and Pikmin 2 were a buck a piece. Does anyone know about any other N64, SS shooters (I'm really digging this genre)? Any idea where, I can get a case and manual for Pikmin 2 for, cheap?

[attachment=16958:Finally.PNG]

As much as I'd like to confirm the deep and intricate network of deception and conspiracy permeating this hobby of ours, I'm gonna have to correct you - because I went and checked it out. At 4:30 PM.
Well I'll be damned, that's a nice little lot. Out of curiosity where are you? In my area, Baltimore, that person would have been a reseller (happened last weekend to me) or what have had people pounding on their door at 5am to start digging through the games (happened to me the weekend before last).

I was hoping to pick up some Nintendo and Sega stuff from a sale this past weekend that mentioned they had some, but at the last minute the people bringing them decided to hold onto them. I did pick up a 360 Slim with a wireless controller for $25, though.

Garage sales in my area usually arent worth the gas driving there... I sometimes get a good haul though. I found a Sega Game Gear, Original xbox, Sega Genesis w/ games, and a few PS1/PS2 games. Nothing too honorable but I keep my expectations low!

Well I'll be damned, that's a nice little lot. Out of curiosity where are you? In my area, Baltimore, that person would have been a reseller (happened last weekend to me) or what have had people pounding on their door at 5am to start digging through the games (happened to me the weekend before last).

I was hoping to pick up some Nintendo and Sega stuff from a sale this past weekend that mentioned they had some, but at the last minute the people bringing them decided to hold onto them. I did pick up a 360 Slim with a wireless controller for $25, though.
I'm mostly in the suburbs of ~removed, info recieved~. Live just a bit offset from the city, so I generally find a promising listing 20ish miles away then just work my way back.

It's not an underpopulated area by any means, but I guess garage saling just isn't that big around here - only time I've seen someone else clearly stalking a sale was when an older woman and I were both circling a block looking for an advertised location, and most sellers I speak to are surprised to hear someone actually checks online listings.

I'm the same way.  Where I live is not large enough to give away where I am without screwing myself out of deals.  There are a few nearby that know where I am, but they are far enough away where we don't get into each others territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back