The Official Android thread.

[quote name='Clak']I thought R2 was with the Republic, not the separatists.

[/QUOTE]

I actually got a good laugh off of reading it..:lol:

[quote name='hustletron']Is it just me or is the EVO shift a shittier $50 cheaper EVO with a QWERTY?

I don't understand the downgrade in specs.[/QUOTE]
Basically, they wanted give people a similar phone with a keyboard without actually cutting into sales of the original.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I can do that remote thing with my phone right now. Well, I do have Verizon FiOS and the Verizon app to do so, and it only controls my cable box but its something...:lol:[/QUOTE]

I have seen apps but with out the RF on the phone was not sure how they would work.

As for the new EVO I didn't know they lowered the specs of it. I thought it was just like the normal EVO but with a QWERTY keyboard.

[quote name='Clak']Basically, they wanted give people a similar phone with a keyboard without actually cutting into sales of the original.[/QUOTE]

wat? Screen is smaller. Fail.

I doubt this will happen, as we've been lied to, way too many times already, but Fascinate is supposed to get Froyo next Monday according to this:

samsung-galaxy-s-fascinate-continuum-froyo.jpg

Fascinate is expected to get the Froyo update on January 10, right after CES 2011, while the Continuum is supposed to go through the same process a week later, on January 18.

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2011/01/05...es-to-hit-on-january-10-18-according-to-leak/

I dont want the droid bionic, but with the 4.3", dual core, hdmi out, it seems like htc is old hat. If i upgrade, it wont be the thunderbolt with less features then a evo thats 6 months old.

[quote name='VipFREAK']wat? Screen is smaller. Fail.[/QUOTE]
Like I said, they didn't want to hurt sales of the EVO too much.

That fascinate update is probably a maintenance update, hopefully to fix the GPS.

Well that Fascinate update was supposed to begin today, but nothing so far. Evidently it's an update that was already leaked anyway, so assuming it's the same it's already out there.

I just got the T-Mobile (HTC) G2. I'm really loving it so far.

I've checked out the marketplace and seen uninstall applications. Is this even necessary? Also, saw an antivirus application. Again, is this a necessity?

I ran Lookout for a while, it's an anti-virus program, amongst other things. I wouldn't call it necessary, but it can't hurt I guess. There are some thing on your phone you can't uninstall without rooting, so I don't know what that other app is for.

-------------

Also, have you updated your Fascinate, Linkin? My GPS works a lot better now after the update.

Yes I did...GPS is finally good. Haven't noticed lag yet but its too soon to tell. BTW whats with the new icon that looks like a crosshair in the status bar?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yes I did...GPS is finally good. Haven't noticed lag yet but its too soon to tell. BTW whats with the new icon that looks like a crosshair in the status bar?[/QUOTE]
That's the GPS, I think it's supposed to look like a compass. Have you tried hooking your phone up to your PC since the update? Apparently the update has caused some people to have problems getting their phone to be recognized in windows. On MacOS it's apparently completely hosed.

The only thing CES did was to make me feel fine in waiting til May when my contract up. There's so much crap coming out it's pointless to get a new phone.

Just got an Incredible today, switching from iPhone. So far I'm finding equivalent apps for everything except one big thing: Air Video.

If you're not familiar with Air Video, it allows you to stream video files from your PC, whether you're connected to your home network or from a remote location. You can convert them on the fly while you're watching, and it can handle pretty much any standard format (DivX, Xvid, MKV, M2TS, etc.).

Is there any kind of equivalent for Android? All Google's coming up with is complicated workarounds...I'm really just looking for a straightforward app. So far I think Incredible will be a suitable replacement for me, but unfortunately this is the one thing I'm missing that's really important to me. Thanks.

There is orb, but their mobile app is expensive and basically just a bad iphone port. It does work though, most of the time.

Can I upgrade to Android 2.3 myself, or do I have to wait for the phone manufacturer or service provider to come out with an update?

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Can I upgrade to Android 2.3 myself, or do I have to wait for the phone manufacturer or service provider to come out with an update?[/QUOTE]

You have to wait unless you're rooted.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Can I upgrade to Android 2.3 myself, or do I have to wait for the phone manufacturer or service provider to come out with an update?[/QUOTE]
Depends on how comfotable you are with technical procedures and if there is a 2.3 rom for your phone. Otherwise you can just sit and beg your carrier.

Wow, that's disappointing. I was under the impression that you could just manually update a phone whenever you wanted, and Android would just work.

i rooted (took 5-10 mins) and then decided to Froyo my Epic myself. i'm seriously pissed at samsung for making me take matters into my own hands, but now have the ultra-sweet kongregate flash portal working so that's awesome.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']Are there any decent Camera apps, or do most people just use the default camera?[/QUOTE]
There are others out there, I just stick with the default app on my Fascinate, it gets the job done at least.

Anybody else have a problem with the Sirius app? It seems to work for a good 20 mins to half hour then cut out for a good 5 minutes. I'm on the G1 still till I can upgrade to a new phone. Just wondering if anybody else had this problem really

Anyone know of an app that will boost the wifi on the EVO. Well what little I have used it, it sucks. Also does anyone elses EVO reset.

just about to pull the trigger on a fascinate. Do you guys think there is a chance that samsung will abandon the froyo update to concentrate on their upcoming lineup?

I would wait a few more months if I were you, or you'll be kicking yourself. So many new phones will be about between now and summer it's crazy.

I'm trying to decide if i should flash my G1 to a 2.2 ROM... anyone done it? How does the speed compare to the stock 1.6 version?

I believe Google reworked the java engine in 2.2 so the OS is actually a lot quicker.. i just don't know how much that will offset the increased load from the extra fanciness added to the OS since 1.6...

[quote name='BattleChicken']I'm trying to decide if i should flash my G1 to a 2.2 ROM... anyone done it? How does the speed compare to the stock 1.6 version?

I believe Google reworked the java engine in 2.2 so the OS is actually a lot quicker.. i just don't know how much that will offset the increased load from the extra fanciness added to the OS since 1.6...[/QUOTE]

I ran Cyanogen 6 on my G1 for a couple of months. Made the phone much better in my opinion.

Have since upgraded to a G2 ;)

If nothing else we should have a usable leak soon. After you get it I'd suggest reading up on rooting and installing customs roms/kernels. It really isn't as hard as it all seems.

Well depending on how the leak gets released it may not matter. There is a program called Odin used to flash software to the phone. If the leak gets packaged up as something that can be flashed through Odin then you could flash that, and most likely the rom would be pre-rooted. So after flashing the froyo leak you'd automatically be rooted after rebooting. I have no idea how it will be leaked, but that's probably the easiest way. this is how many people, myself included installed the DL09 update and custom rom together.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I'm trying to decide if i should flash my G1 to a 2.2 ROM... anyone done it? How does the speed compare to the stock 1.6 version?

I believe Google reworked the java engine in 2.2 so the OS is actually a lot quicker.. i just don't know how much that will offset the increased load from the extra fanciness added to the OS since 1.6...[/QUOTE]

wouldn't do it homey. why don't you flash something like SuperD or Cyanogen on there since they are optimized for slower processors (i believe SuperD was specifically designed for the g1). 2.2 would probably destroy a g1 speed-wise.

i ran superd on my g1 up until i finally got my EPIC (which i flashed Froyo on to last week).

bread's done
Back