The Official Android thread.

If you could have I would have waited a little while, better phones are on the way and probably wouldn't have cost you any more. But I'm guessing you were completely without a phone.

Ayup. Stolen, and mobile me's "Find My iPhone" is embarrassingly useless.

How to circumvent:
1) turn the device off
2) remove sim card
3) profit.

There are programs like that on Android, but I'm betting they can be cirumvented in the same way.

[quote name='Clak']There are programs like that on Android, but I'm betting they can be cirumvented in the same way.[/QUOTE]

Unless you're using CDMA which doesn't use SIM cards... There's actually a report recently about how easy it is to intercept GSM signals using a cheap phone. Not saying CDMA is any better (no idea).

[quote name='mykevermin']New droid owner (Samsung Galaxy S) as of yesterday, on account of my refusal to pay $650 for a replacement iPhone 4.

So...hi.[/QUOTE]

I have this and love it. Definitely turn on Swype for the keyboard input - it f'ing rules.

[quote name='Clak']It's on any new activation I think, so yeah.[/QUOTE]

Nah, before it or after my contract date. Not sure how to say it, but no I don't do a new contract or extension unless they force me.

[quote name='mykevermin']New droid owner (Samsung Galaxy S) as of yesterday, on account of my refusal to pay $650 for a replacement iPhone 4.

So...hi.[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

[quote name='VipFREAK']Nah, before it or after my contract date. Not sure how to say it, but no I don't do a new contract or extension unless they force me.

LMAO![/QUOTE]

Yeah that shit is hilarious. Hearing how someone had their phone stolen always makes me lose my shit.

On another note, I can't wait for my contract to end this summer. Also I hope that VZW isn't the only provider for the Xperia as some have speculated. I have been planning on getting that as my new phone, and the only way I would go back to Verizon is if my sister would add me to her plan (she gets a 17 percent discount through her job).

Knowing sony it will only be on one carrier, and I hope they keep it more up to date than than have on phones in the past.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Yeah that shit is hilarious. Hearing how someone had their phone stolen always makes me lose my shit.[/QUOTE]

I was actually laughing at that he left CrApple and that they wanted the full price to replace his phone.

As for the stolen part, well... the only way anyone will still my phone or wallet is if they kill me first.

If you guys are looking for an app that will take screen shots of your phone, get 'ShootMe'....its free and no rooting needed.

snap20110210095409.png

[quote name='LinkinPrime']If you guys are looking for an app that will take screen shots of your phone, get 'ShootMe'....its free and no rooting needed.

snap20110210095409.png
[/QUOTE]

That is way too cluttered for me...

I used to only have the Mario wallpaper which was pretty cool, but I recently tried this Honeycomb Live wallpaper to go with it...so far I like it.

That honeycomb live wallpaper didn't work too well for me, kinda stuttered. That some company has an app called DIY Ownskin, where you can basically make or edit user made live wallpapers. Some of the ones that people have made are pretty cool.

Actually with froyo now you can hold the back button and press the power button to take a screen shot, Linkin.

So..I may be leaving Sprint (and my EVO 4G :cry:) soon for AT&T.

Galaxy S or something else I should be looking at?

I'm actually really interested in the Pre 3 so I might wait for that. Thoughts?

HTC Inspire or Moto Atrix.

Why you leaving the EVO?

[quote name='sendme']Any one know of any good roms for the EVO?[/QUOTE]

I've been using Ava's ROM for quite some time.

Hulu app keeps me using it.

I literally get no service in my house. I have to go outside to make phone calls. It's very annoying. My parents offered me a line on their family plan, but I'm not sure yet. I know I could get one of those wi-fi things, but I'd rather not have to pay for something extra just to have my phone work at home.

Inspire looks interesting. Although I'd like something a bit more powerful than my EVO.

[quote name='Clak']Actually with froyo now you can hold the back button and press the power button to take a screen shot, Linkin.[/QUOTE]

Do'h! Thanks for that tip.

[quote name='Clak']They do, you can do it all from within the app though.

http://www.ownskin.com/livewallpaper[/QUOTE]

Awesome...I'll check that out for sure. Thanks.

Actually I've heard sprint will give you a femtocell (helps with signal) free if you complain you can't get a signal at home.

[quote name='zewone']So..I may be leaving Sprint (and my EVO 4G :cry:) soon for AT&T.

Galaxy S or something else I should be looking at?

I'm actually really interested in the Pre 3 so I might wait for that. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Can't speak to the Galaxy S as I've only had it two days. Still on the droid learning curve.

I can question your sanity, however - you're leaving a provider due to poor signal issues for AT&T? That doesn't strike me as an improvement.

It can't be worse. I used to have at&t and never had a problem but that was before I moved to LA. I'm not sure how reception is out here.

Hmm. When I was in SF last November, the 3G reception was like 56K modem quality, but that's because every motherfucker out there had an iPhone. LA's population density isn't as bad, so perhaps you'll be ok.

Has anyone had luck setting up an exchange account in any given email app? Trying to get mine from work set up but it isn't working with the defaults it gives. Probably need some info on the server, but that will be like pulling teeth unless I can get a buddy to find out for me.

It's probably something with my work, I'm not even positive I have the echange server address right.

T-Mobile is running a deal tomorrow and Saturday on their smartphones: they're all free with a 2-year contract.

Thinking about finally updating my crusty old G1 for a shiny new G2.

[quote name='bmachine']T-Mobile is running a deal tomorrow and Saturday on their smartphones: they're all free with a 2-year contract.

Thinking about finally updating my crusty old G1 for a shiny new G2.[/QUOTE]

I'm a bit tempted myself... my wife's line is ready for a new contract, but mine is up in June.. If I wait a little bit longer, the dual core arm9 phones may be available and I'd much rather have one of those than anything on the market at the moment.

G2 is a pretty neat phone and if i was upgrading tomorrow it would be what i get. I'm not terribly fond of the odd way the keyboard folds out... but aside from that it seems about perfect.

Warning: The spoiler is an Altanis-related story. It's pretty boring, but basically ties in with the first line after the spoiler. I really don't recommend reading it unless you're really that bored.
I told my dad that for my birthday in a month, I wanted a new phone- either the Intercept or Optimus V (I'm leaning towards Optimus V, as the last 2 slide out keyboard phones have apparently had issues develop that are related to opening/closing the keyboard). I told him both were $150+ and that it was the only thing I wanted. This was all the while my phone was continuously restarting like 50% of the time I opened or closed the keyboard, resulting in about 5 complaints of "zomg, I got that message like THREEEEE times!" from people.

His response? Why wait- if my phone is on its last leg, I might as well get a new phone NOW while I'm home this weekend, over going back to campus till Spring Break and being phone-less should my current one die.

I might be getting an Optimus V tomorrow :D. It's all going to depend on whether or not the local RadioShack has them in stock, and whether I can print off a $10 off $40 coupon tonight to cover the fricking sales tax.

This long drawn out and completely unnecessary story leads me to this:

Are there any "must have" apps for Android 2.2 (or 2.1, just in case)? Are there any web browsers or other apps that are just that good? Keep in mind though that I love free things a lot.

Be aware that 'The Shack' requires you to buy $10 of VM airtime when you buy a VM phone from them. Their system cannot process a phone purchase without it. I got screwed last weekend with that bullshit. :roll:

The Optimus V has started to show up in Target stores, and they don;t require the airtime purchase.

Best Buy isn't slated to get the Optimus V until mid-March.

[quote name='Altanis']Warning: The spoiler is an Altanis-related story. It's pretty boring, but basically ties in with the first line after the spoiler. I really don't recommend reading it unless you're really that bored.
I told my dad that for my birthday in a month, I wanted a new phone- either the Intercept or Optimus V (I'm leaning towards Optimus V, as the last 2 slide out keyboard phones have apparently had issues develop that are related to opening/closing the keyboard). I told him both were $150+ and that it was the only thing I wanted. This was all the while my phone was continuously restarting like 50% of the time I opened or closed the keyboard, resulting in about 5 complaints of "zomg, I got that message like THREEEEE times!" from people.

His response? Why wait- if my phone is on its last leg, I might as well get a new phone NOW while I'm home this weekend, over going back to campus till Spring Break and being phone-less should my current one die.

I might be getting an Optimus V tomorrow :D. It's all going to depend on whether or not the local RadioShack has them in stock, and whether I can print off a $10 off $40 coupon tonight to cover the fricking sales tax.

This long drawn out and completely unnecessary story leads me to this:

Are there any "must have" apps for Android 2.2 (or 2.1, just in case)? Are there any web browsers or other apps that are just that good? Keep in mind though that I love free things a lot.[/QUOTE]

Swype, which is faster than any physical keyboard. I use Opera, but it's annoying when it crashes. If a site needs flash, I use Dolphin browser, but it's significantly slower, and has an 8 tab limit (Opera can open more, and I usually have well over 8 tabs whenever I check cag). Launcher pro was a must for me. If you like the iphone messaging interface, handcent (I personally love the stock on my dx).

Eh, $10 ain't that big of a deal. Plus, I pay for my plan with top-up cards (thanks, CallingMart!), so that would actually be somewhat helpful. I doubt I'm going to get a new phone this weekend though.

This is getting a bit off topic, but since I might be near the Best Buy anyway, I have a question. I bought the stupid fucking 2 year plan on my current phone when I bought it there (May 2010). It's the black tie bullshit plan or whatever. I got $10 off the phone, so the plan was basically free since it cost $9.99.

I don't know if anyone here knows what the specifics of the plan actually are. I cannot sign in to the Reward Zone site to check it for some reason- I get the redirect of death right back to the login page. Right about now I just want to be able to use my phone without it restarting about every 5th time I open or close the keyboard.

[quote name='manthing']FYI Atlantis: Swype is the default KB on the Optimus V[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I found that out. That's one of the big things VM touts about the phone. Thanks for that though. I'm not sure if Swype and I will get along at first. I'm a stickler for a keyboard, but with the way my last 2 QWERTY phones have both died within a year of getting them (one had a short in the charging port, to where moving the phone while charging would result in it redialing my last call... which got some interesting results when it called my parents at 3:30 am once, and this current phone resets itself somewhat often when you open or close the keyboard). Okay, so neither one really died, they just got frustrating to use.

Another curious question: are there any decent apps to turn the phone into a WiFi hotspot? I don't get campus WiFi in my dorm, and as many people I know in my building can attest, the internet from around 11pm-1am or so really sucks balls lately (SpeedTest.net last night said 350Kbps down/4.5Mbps up. Yeah). I know my roommate has created a WiFi hotspot (I haven't asked how, since we aren't supposed to do it) since my laptop was trying to connect to it last night for some reason (plus it's got his name on it... idiot).

Either way, I think I'm going to end up with the Optimus. The more I read about comparing the Intercept and the Optimus, the more the Intercept sounds a lot like my phone- just with 3G internet and Android instead of 1x and some shit that VM and Kyocera decided to shit up together. I'm pretty sure that I can survive with just a touchscreen- or limit my texting.

Hey people....
With me being 1 week away (or today if I push it) from being able to upgrade my phone (from the Env Touch), I am just curious to know more about the Android OS. I've seen a lot of neat applications for it...mostly free, others for a small fee. My question is if I want to buy an app, does it get charged to my phone bill or do I have to buy credits or something similar to Itunes?

Also I am assuming that by most android phones are the same with the exception of maybe a better MP camera, kb and processor correct? So if I go with something like the Droid X, that will surely last me til my next upgrade in 2 years right since new updates come out and new apps keep things fresh?

bread's done
Back