The Official Android thread.

No, it's charged to a card, though I beleive google is close to allowing charges to your phone bill. Also, not all phones are created equal, not by a long shot. Research and compare specs, with new phones just aroudn the corner I wouldn't get the X now.

[quote name='Clak']No, it's charged to a card, though I beleive google is close to allowing charges to your phone bill. Also, not all phones are created equal, not by a long shot. Research and compare specs, with new phones just aroudn the corner I wouldn't get the X now.[/QUOTE]

ok...then what is the must have feature I need to wait out for on a droid type phone?

honestly I would love to have a phone that has really good battery life.

[quote name='ITDEFX']ok...then what is the must have feature I need to wait out for on a droid type phone?

honestly I would love to have a phone that has really good battery life.[/QUOTE]

Then probably not a Droid X lol. I have one, and I run the battery down to 30% almost every day. It's an awesome phone, but not the most energy efficient. You can tweak it to get good battery life out of it (disabling sync, widgets, etc), but at the cost of having everything at your fingertips.

[quote name='elessar123']Then probably not a Droid X lol. I have one, and I run the battery down to 30% almost every day. It's an awesome phone, but not the most energy efficient. You can tweak it to get good battery life out of it (disabling sync, widgets, etc), but at the cost of having everything at your fingertips.[/QUOTE]

:( That sucks.. The Droid X has an impressive screen.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Get a Google voice account.[/QUOTE]

I have a Google Voice number but will only affect calls concerning that particular number no? I need something for my current number that will block unknown/private number.

There are apps you can use that will block numbers you add to a blacklist, I can't think of any since I don't use them, but they're out there.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i just use the default email app. works great and i have no issues with it.[/QUOTE]

Same for me. Mine's hooked to both my gmail and my exchange account for work.

[quote name='ITDEFX']:( That sucks.. The Droid X has an impressive screen.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pick any other phone out there over it. Just be warned that you'll need to have a charger around if you do.

[quote name='ITDEFX']ok...then what is the must have feature I need to wait out for on a droid type phone?

honestly I would love to have a phone that has really good battery life.[/QUOTE]
Well the Thunderbolt is about to strike (had to do that) soon, I'd pick it over the DX. The Droid Bionic is supposed to be out sometime in the next few months too. Honestly the screen on the DX isn't that great compared to other newer phones.

[quote name='mykevermin']whoever recommended swype has my utmost gratitude.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. :) I can't imagine typing on a phone without it now.

I was teasing a friend of mine who just bought a droid incredible. I didn't tell him that anyone can sign up for the swype beta....:evil:

Wish he'd held off a few weeks, hate to see someone buy an older phone when new stuff is just around the corner.

[quote name='Clak']I was teasing a friend of mine who just bought a droid incredible. I didn't tell him that anyone can sign up for the swype beta....:evil:

Wish he'd held off a few weeks, hate to see someone buy an older phone when new stuff is just around the corner.[/QUOTE]

Tell your friend to return it?

Verizon cut back their return window to 14 days, not sure the t-bolt will be out in time. I've heard the 24th, but that could still change.

Swype is okay but I love my physical keyboard. Fortunately with the Samsung Epic you're not forced to choose...you get them both.

I think my next concern after battery is getting a functional case that protects the main screen. I could never find a good case for the voyager and touch unless it was 3rd party. Everything verizon sells is overpriced and a joke.

I don't even have anything protecting the screen of my Fascinate, just a case around the back and sides. Used to have a screen protector on it but those things are a pain to put on correctly. I keep it in a pocket by itself, and the gorilla glass is pretty scratch resistant itself. That may be something to consider, what kind of glass a phone uses.

I got the G2 today! It's an insane improvement over the G1. It's so freakin' fast.

[quote name='Clak']Actually with froyo now you can hold the back button and press the power button to take a screen shot, Linkin.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that's right? If I hold the back button it opens up my browser history.

In another example of how messed up smartphone pricing is, the thunderbolt apparently will cost about $50 less than a Xoom tablet at full retail no contract price. So you could get a 4 inch, single core phone, or a 10 inch dual core tablet for $50 more.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']If you guys are looking for an app that will take screen shots of your phone, get 'ShootMe'....its free and no rooting needed.

snap20110210095409.png
[/QUOTE]

I just downloaded ShootMe, it telling me it requires rooting. It asked me accept then told me that my phone was not rooted. Is there a way to get around it?

[quote name='Clak']Actually with froyo now you can hold the back button and press the power button to take a screen shot, Linkin.[/QUOTE]
I wish other brands would have added in this feature and not just the Galaxy S phones.

Does anyone else here have a G2? Why doesn't the notification LED around the touchpad light up when I get messages?

I can't seem to find a way to enable it in the settings.

[quote name='Clak']In another example of how messed up smartphone pricing is, the thunderbolt apparently will cost about $50 less than a Xoom tablet at full retail no contract price. So you could get a 4 inch, single core phone, or a 10 inch dual core tablet for $50 more.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Android manufacturer's seem to be getting a swollen head from all the recent platform success.

I sorta wish the iPhone on VZW slows down Android sales to humble them.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']I just downloaded ShootMe, it telling me it requires rooting. It asked me accept then told me that my phone was not rooted. Is there a way to get around it?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, root your phone.

I did the unrevoked root on my EVO and now I am trying to unroot it. I did all the steps with installing the son file now the pc36img.zip will not run. All i get is an error saying main is older. Any help?

[quote name='bmachine']Does anyone else here have a G2? Why doesn't the notification LED around the touchpad light up when I get messages?

I can't seem to find a way to enable it in the settings.[/QUOTE]

Stock it pulsed when I had new emails, but its such a slow interval that you almost never notice it. For text messages I don't think it was notifying me either. I eventually rooted the thing and threw on cyanogen. I didn't like that I couldn't remove facebook or twitter apps from the phone if I desired to do so.

You know what would be a nice feature...FM radio support. Do some of these Android type phones (verizon) have this? I listen to WTOP News a lot and they also do streaming...but it would be nice to have something like this on the phone as suppose to music (mp3)...and I am sure it will use less battery.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']If you guys are looking for an app that will take screen shots of your phone, get 'ShootMe'....its free and no rooting needed.

snap20110210095409.png
[/QUOTE]

I dig the Clock. What is it?

It's one of the many, many clocks available from Beautiful Widgets.

------------------

[quote name='ImLuhkee']I just downloaded ShootMe, it telling me it requires rooting. It asked me accept then told me that my phone was not rooted. Is there a way to get around it?[/quote]

Oh bummer...mine's not rooted but after manually upgrading to Froyo, I ended up with some app called Super User...I was promoted by it when I ran it first and it worked...and I had read that ShootMe doesn't require rooting...sorry.

Hey can you actually download these apps from your computer to your android device or are they install only via marketplace on the phone?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I've downloaded apps from the PC before, when you open the file on your phone you will be prompted to install.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Just thinking of if I ever need to shut the dataplan off in the future to save money which apps that I can use that don't use data at all.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It's one of the many, many clocks available from Beautiful Widgets.

------------------

Oh bummer...mine's not rooted but after manually upgrading to Froyo, I ended up with some app called Super User...I was promoted by it when I ran it first and it worked...and I had read that ShootMe doesn't require rooting...sorry.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you are not rooted? from what I have been told only way to get super user is to root.

Here is another question for ya... say you root your phone during the first week and then you have problems (like my problems) and you take it back to the store, can they actually tell if you rooted your phone and disqualify you from a replacement?

Actually Linkin, you are rooted. That leak was pre-rooted. The super user app wouldn't be there or work otherwise.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Here is another question for ya... say you root your phone during the first week and then you have problems (like my problems) and you take it back to the store, can they actually tell if you rooted your phone and disqualify you from a replacement?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you'd want to flash a stock rom beforehand. Also, you can transfer the .apk files (apps) from your PC to your phone to install, but you'd have to somehow get the actual file. The only other way is to go to android.com and use the web market interface, but your phone still needs some kind of data connection, even if it's just wifi, because the site will just send it to your phone.

[quote name='Clak']Actually Linkin, you are rooted. That leak was pre-rooted. The super user app wouldn't be there or work otherwise.[/QUOTE]

:shock:

I guess I am. I just followed the instructions on getting the Froyo leak...I didn't realize that was considered rooting.

So I can get ROMs now?

Well it isn't really, but that rom was pre-rooted by the guy who leaked it just for easiness sake. Plain stock roms wouldn't be pre-rooted, most customs are. I don't know exactly which method you used, but you'd need clockwork mod to flash any other roms most likely, no idea if you have that or not.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
So I can get ROMs now?[/QUOTE]

HAhA Linkin is asking for Roms!! ;D

I do wonder how the emulation scene is on these things.

I just downloaded the cyanogen mod again and now the thing just keeps reseting it looks like. Starting to wonder why I even rooted this thing.

Anyone know about any security DVR's that come with a free Droid app to view your cameras? I am looking to install a system at my home. But I want my cameras to be seen mobile.

bread's done
Back