The Official Android thread.

I don't even think hand writing is there on a capacitive touch screen personally.

So I'm still very much interested in some more business focused tablet with MS Office, good stylus support for marking up student papers, jotting notes etc.

Also, we should really probably move this discussion to the new Android sub forum so it gets traffic and doesnt' end up getting killed! :D

Hey guys,

I've been using the same candybar phone for almost 5 years, and I've decided it's about time for an upgrade. I'm looking for an AT&T phone, strongly considering the Atrix 4G, based on reviews. What are the pros of Android over the iPhone? I'd like to use my phone as a music player with quality earphones, so good sound quality would be a big plus. I don't like Macbooks or ipods very much, and owning an ipod touch for a few months made me realize I like having real buttons for music players. I think the ipod touch is a horrible music player, and I don't want a phone that plays music in a similar fashion.

This is nit-picky, but I like being able to change songs by merely pressing 1 button without turning on the screen, and re-locking it (ipod touch can't do this). I'm not sure if the Atrix can do this, but any phone that can would get serious consideration by me, especially if sound quality is good. I place being able to change songs like this high on the priority list, as I find changing songs to be distracting while doing work. You have to look away, the screen distracts me, and I'd rather not deal with that. It seems like phones that do this are non-touch screen phones. The phone needs at least 16 gb, preferably 32 gb with access to microsd. Thanks for reading this, and any help finding the right phone for me would be appreciated. If you think the Atrix 4G is right for me, let me know.

Not sure if Android phones have a physical button to change songs. I know I have Winamp on mine, and they have a lockscreen where you can go to the next song without having to unlock the phone.

I have a Dell Streak via AT&T and I like it. It is a tabletphone (5" screen). I thought with the iPhone/iPod Touch you can just SHAKE the device and it shuffles the songs.

^Yeah, I'd rather not buy them as I already have a great pair myself.

As for the ipod touch, I'd rather not deal with gimmicks - just give me a phone with a play, forward/back button and decent sound quality. No need to over-complicate simple functions in my opinion. If no one knows of a good android phone for me, I'll probably head over to the AT&T store this weekend try them out. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Well, most phones are touch screen only, or touch screen with QWERTY keyboards that slide out.

You're probably not going to find a phone with physical buttosn for play/pause, forward/back etc. What you'll have is mp3 player apps with on screen buttons on the touch screen.

damn looks like I get to take my phone back to sprint. Still having issues with it syncing my contacts with google when all are set up to be on google. Just get an error that says it could not be done at this time.

So my WiFi quit working on my OG Droid today for whatever reason.. I click enable Wifi in settings and it loads, then shuts off again right when it does the scen for hotspots.
I uninstalled any apps that I thought could be messing with it but still not luck.. rebooted the phone several times..
Is there like an app that scans hardware on your phone make sure its working?
Or if I do a factory reset or maybe root my phone might it fix it? :)

Was able to get my contacts to sync with google. I had to export them all the sd card make sure google was up to date with all of them then clear out the cache for contacts and people then click on the check to sync with google for the contacts.

Now I'm trying to read up on cyanogenmod as I was wanting to root my EVO again and have thought about putting it on. The issue is every time I try to load up any page my phone does not load the page and my PC is the same way. Any one else able to load one of the cyanogenmod sites? I'm trying to get to the wiki and the forums.

Also has anyone used it and knows how to get some of the HTC stuff back or even the market place? Last time I installed it I didn't read first and had nothing. I didn't know what to do so I deleted it by unrooting.

[quote name='sendme']Was able to get my contacts to sync with google. I had to export them all the sd card make sure google was up to date with all of them then clear out the cache for contacts and people then click on the check to sync with google for the contacts.

Now I'm trying to read up on cyanogenmod as I was wanting to root my EVO again and have thought about putting it on. The issue is every time I try to load up any page my phone does not load the page and my PC is the same way. Any one else able to load one of the cyanogenmod sites? I'm trying to get to the wiki and the forums.

Also has anyone used it and knows how to get some of the HTC stuff back or even the market place? Last time I installed it I didn't read first and had nothing. I didn't know what to do so I deleted it by unrooting.[/QUOTE]

The site and forums seem to be working fine for me, right now. As far as HTC stuff, I don't know how to get that back after rooting, but for the market you most likely didn't install the Google Apps apk. I believe it's not packaged with the roms because it's not open source, and so they are trying to avoid copyright issues by not including it outright. It is linked from their wikis and forum guides, just not in the rom itself.

Looks like they got it all back up again. About an hour or so ago I was reading on their facebook page others had issues with it being down.

I had a quick question,

I am currently using an iphone with AT&T and my contract is going to end soon. I would like to have an android phone, but I heard that AT&T's android phones are gimped compared to Verizon's and Sprint's android phones. Is this fact? Anyone have an android phone that is with AT&T, your 2 cents?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I had a quick question,

I am currently using an iphone with AT&T and my contract is going to end soon. I would like to have an android phone, but I heard that AT&T's android phones are gimped compared to Verizon's and Sprint's android phones. Is this fact? Anyone have an android phone that is with AT&T, your 2 cents?[/QUOTE]

It's not really gimped. They just never needed to focus on anything other than the iPhone, so they didn't. Now that they lost exclusivity, they probably will focus a little more on Android phones.

One of the big issues is that you can't get Amazon's store to work on them. And Atrix has a lot of compatibility issues.

So do I waste my time staying with Sprint and getting the EVO 3D (not for the 3D of course...) or do I flash my EVO to Metro PCS with no signal at all but is half the cost... Decisions...

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I had a quick question,

I am currently using an iphone with AT&T and my contract is going to end soon. I would like to have an android phone, but I heard that AT&T's android phones are gimped compared to Verizon's and Sprint's android phones. Is this fact? Anyone have an android phone that is with AT&T, your 2 cents?[/QUOTE]

It's absolutely fact. AT&T is the worst about providing timely updates for their phones, and all of their phones are modified to not accept the installation of any apps that aren't from the market. If your contract is almost up, go anywhere else. I recommend the Nexus S, which is on both T-Mobile and Sprint. If you need Verizon, there are plenty of great ones there, too, but none as open and quickly updated.

What is everyone's opinion on the Acer® Iconia A500 Tablet? I have had problems with Acer laptops in the past so I not the biggest Acer fan, but was still intrigued by this tablet. Has anyone had a chance to look at this tablet at all?

[quote name='xilly']Is it necessary to scroll up and down? You could install LauncherPro and do left-right with loop on...
http://wavelauncher.com/[/QUOTE]

Not necessary but it would be nice.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Folder organizer[/QUOTE]

Do I need the pro to do this? I'm looking in the lite version and don't see anything for widgets only apps.

[quote name='sendme']
Do I need the pro to do this? I'm looking in the lite version and don't see anything for widgets only apps.[/QUOTE]

I miss read what you wanted to do. I don't know of anything that will do what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was originally going to recommend Wave Launcher but then when I realized you were talking about widgets, I realized that it wouldn't help you. :x

[quote name='ImLuhkee']http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/12/netflix-releases-android-app-for-select-htc-phones-samsung-nexu/

Just sharing that the Incredible, Evo4g, Nexus One, G2, and Nexus S all can download the official Netflix app now. I tried it out on my Incredible and it seemed to run pretty smooth.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Love my N1. :D
Trying it now. Watching Crayon Shin-chan while waiting to bum a ride home from work. Great picture and smooth as silk framerate so far. Just hope it doesn't kill my battery too fast...

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn it. I want to put Sense 3.0 on my evo but I'm now getting device not detected on Unrevoked3. I had CM7 installed and went to reflash my nand backup and had a bad md5 file. So I unrooted and now I'm getting that error message on every computer I try it on. I have done everything needed on all the computers and on the phone and nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Well got Sense 3.0 on my Evo. I thought I had debugging checked and didn't. I have seen videos of 3.0 on the Evo 4g with everything working. The roms I have found however don't. 3.0 is looking to be really nice however will kill the battery. Currently the rom has a lot that I tend to use that force closes so it wont be one that I use every day. I do however like the lock screen. Has anyone else used it?

Netflix app is fucking amazing. Watched an episode of the X-Files on the Incredible and the quality was excellent, a little pixelated when it started but cleaned up within 5 seconds and never had to buffer.

Shit ate my battery down hard though. Lost like 10% watching only 10 minutes.

Damn. If that is going to kill that much looks like companies are going to have to do something about the battery life on the phones. I know they are getting better but still battery life is going to have to get a lot better. Hell at the time I was not doing much with my evo at all and had all the bettery settings changed that I was willing to change. Even with juicedefender I still went out and bought an extended life battery. I have some days at work where that thing gets down to about 20%. I'm timpted to not download netflix now.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Netflix app is fucking amazing. Watched an episode of the X-Files on the Incredible and the quality was excellent, a little pixelated when it started but cleaned up within 5 seconds and never had to buffer.

Shit ate my battery down hard though. Lost like 10% watching only 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I used it a couple times now, the pixelation went away rather fast and my experience is pretty much like yours.

Though I didn't pay attention to battery until last night. I didn't start watching anything until my battery had popped up the 15% battery left message, I ended up watching 40 minutes and my phone had gone down to the 5% message right after I concluded watching.

I did have a random call in the middle of watching that I ignored, and was very happy that I didn't have to re launch the netflix app. All I had to do is press play and it resumed no buffer.

Thunderbolt is really the most amazing phone. I get insane download speeds on it, the new leak has Gingerbread 2.3.4 and sense 2.1, devs ported all the major sense 3.0 stuff to it and everything works, and just now netflix works on the device, was watching The Other Guys over 4G on it. Love. This. Phone.

Anyone know when google is to start sending out invites for the music beta? I thought they were to have started now. I sent an email asking their customer support about it and all I was told is due to overwhelming demand they could not give me any info on the invites.

My understanding is that it's a slow rollout. First everyone at the IO conference, then Xoom owners, and then slowly everyone else. I too am without invite, we just gotta wait.

Yeah, they already started giving the general public invites. I like the new MUSIC app, but not sure it is my fav. I'm trying to stick to a good one.
My current one's are:
- Winamp (I like the widget player)
- MUSIC
- Amazon mp3 (not bad, cloud player also)
- Fed's Music App (unofficial...basically steals the ZUNE interface)

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, they already started giving the general public invites. I like the new MUSIC app, but not sure it is my fav. I'm trying to stick to a good one.
My current one's are:
- Winamp (I like the widget player)
- MUSIC
- Amazon mp3 (not bad, cloud player also)
- Fed's Music App (unofficial...basically steals the ZUNE interface)[/QUOTE]
I'd like the google music app if it didn't take up so much space without an SD option. I'm sticking with Songbird.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']My understanding is that it's a slow rollout. First everyone at the IO conference, then Xoom owners, and then slowly everyone else. I too am without invite, we just gotta wait.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Was wondering when it would start. Hope I get in. It would be nice to no longer have to use the iPod.

[quote name='Krynj']Anybody else planning on picking up an EVO 3D?[/QUOTE]

Thinking about it. Radio shack and Best buy are taking preorders now. I might hold out though as I just got my plan last year.

bread's done
Back