The Official Android thread.

[quote name='sendme']Ok. Was wondering when it would start. Hope I get in. It would be nice to no longer have to use the iPod.[/QUOTE]
A really good solution might be what I've been doing for a while - running my own personal music server (not nearly as complicated as it sounds). The easiest solution is Audiogalaxy, although I like the looks of Subsonic more. Audiogalaxy has a free Android app, while Subsonic has a free trial for a month (maybe less, can't remember), then the app requires a $14 donation to continue using it. Both have free to use web interfaces.

I didn't end up donating for the Android app because the streaming didn't seem consistent enough on the phone for whatever reason.

Pros:
ALL of your music (or close to it - I think Audiogalaxy might have a restriction on amount of songs you can stream?)
No uploading to a cloud

Cons:
Must have server on and program running/connected to listen to music.

I've been using Audiogalaxy for a while now, and while I am anxiously awaiting my Google Music invite, I don't know that it will really do much more than what I've been doing for a while.

Anyone here use Google Voice with their Android Phone? I'm just curious if you have your GV settings to show the caller ID of the caller (instead of your GV number on caller ID) when you answer, does it still make you do the prompts for Press 1 to accept 2 to go go voicemail etc? And also can you still switch phones in the middle of an incoming call by pressing * key?

I was planning on picking up an EVO 3D up until I found out today that the phone is locked down and custom ROMs will be non-existant. Now I'm hoping to hear about the Galaxy S II on Sprint.

WOW I did not know that about the EVO 3D. If sense 3.0 comes to the EVO 4G I don't know if I want the 3D then.

As for Google voice, I have only used it for voice mail. I get text messages from all my friends and the few phone calls I have received I have forgot to set it up or I was no where near my phone to answer.

My contract is up... I think I'll sit tight with my EVO. It's Sprint's service that kicks my fucking arse. I'm still thinking of having my EVO flashed to Metro PCS to halve my bill. I'm expecting the service to be even worse, but at least my butt won't feel so raped every month.

I'm wanting a TABLET also, but it seems like Android moves so fast, as soon as I get something it will be out of date. I may just wait for Ice Cream Sandwich. The Transformer tablet looked nice, but so does an iPad2.

Evo will never get Sense 3.0 (not in a manner that is usuable anyways). EVO has yet to even be upgraded to Sense 2.0.

I tried out the leaked Sense 3.0 on my EVO, and it's very cool, but I can't support HTC moving to locking down their ROMs when Samsung is moving towards opening theirs up. I'll miss the freedom way too much. I do love Sense though.

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone here use Google Voice with their Android Phone? I'm just curious if you have your GV settings to show the caller ID of the caller (instead of your GV number on caller ID) when you answer, does it still make you do the prompts for Press 1 to accept 2 to go go voicemail etc? And also can you still switch phones in the middle of an incoming call by pressing * key?[/QUOTE]

I use Google Voice for all of my calls, texts, and voicemails. I'm not really sure what you mean about the caller ID thing. When my friends call, I see that it's them. As for what they see when I call, I gave them my GV number and said my old number no longer works.

The prompt can be turned off in a setting I think in the web app. I'm not sure, I just know mine doesn't do that anymore.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I use Google Voice for all of my calls, texts, and voicemails. I'm not really sure what you mean about the caller ID thing. When my friends call, I see that it's them. As for what they see when I call, I gave them my GV number and said my old number no longer works.

The prompt can be turned off in a setting I think in the web app. I'm not sure, I just know mine doesn't do that anymore.[/QUOTE]
How can you use GV for text?

[quote name='looploop']How can you use GV for text?[/QUOTE]

It's actually really easy and works well. Technically, it's not SMS messages (I think), but data text sent from the app (what's the difference, is there one?). Since I gave everyone my GV number and just said my old number doesn't work, they text me and it shows up in my GV inbox/app as a text. And then I respond from there. There is also a GV extension for Google Chrome browser that lets you text or call from the browser itself. It's really handy since I spend all day at a computer anyway, and typing on a keyboard is much nicer than a phone.

The biggest downside is moving everyone to your GV number. But if you bite the bullet and just tell everyone your number changed, it's not too bad. I changed my text pack with VZW to the lowest amount for a month or two after 'changing' numbers, and then simply blocked all texts on my real number. Free text and visual voicemail, with a lot of features. It's nice.

[quote name='zewone']Evo will never get Sense 3.0 (not in a manner that is usuable anyways). EVO has yet to even be upgraded to Sense 2.0.

I tried out the leaked Sense 3.0 on my EVO, and it's very cool, but I can't support HTC moving to locking down their ROMs when Samsung is moving towards opening theirs up. I'll miss the freedom way too much. I do love Sense though.[/QUOTE]

I always thought it had 2.0 till I read your post and looked it up. I don't see them jumping from 1.0 to 3.0 on the EVO. I also tried both versions of the leaked Sense 3.0 and the first had no icons and most of it didn't work. The other I could not even get to run and the more I read the more I just thought the hell with it.

I'm now thinking about running Warm z with 2.0. Is anyone running that and were they able to get an account with htcsense.com to work on it?

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']A really good solution might be what I've been doing for a while - running my own personal music server (not nearly as complicated as it sounds). The easiest solution is Audiogalaxy, although I like the looks of Subsonic more. Audiogalaxy has a free Android app, while Subsonic has a free trial for a month (maybe less, can't remember), then the app requires a $14 donation to continue using it. Both have free to use web interfaces.

I didn't end up donating for the Android app because the streaming didn't seem consistent enough on the phone for whatever reason.

Pros:
ALL of your music (or close to it - I think Audiogalaxy might have a restriction on amount of songs you can stream?)
No uploading to a cloud

Cons:
Must have server on and program running/connected to listen to music.

I've been using Audiogalaxy for a while now, and while I am anxiously awaiting my Google Music invite, I don't know that it will really do much more than what I've been doing for a while.[/QUOTE]

Just got the chance to get Audiogalaxy running. I have to say it is really nice. Only 2 issues I had with it is I forgot to delete some of the sample music on my computer and it found that so now suggestions are based off that also. The other issue is I put a cd into my folder around 7 am and it just not found it. Odd thing is it found all but that one. I have used this off and on all day and really like it.

Only way google music can be better is if you can have more music and if I wont have to run my pc to do this. Glad you posted about them.

[quote name='sendme']Just got the chance to get Audiogalaxy running. I have to say it is really nice. Only 2 issues I had with it is I forgot to delete some of the sample music on my computer and it found that so now suggestions are based off that also. The other issue is I put a cd into my folder around 7 am and it just not found it. Odd thing is it found all but that one. I have used this off and on all day and really like it.

Only way google music can be better is if you can have more music and if I wont have to run my pc to do this. Glad you posted about them.[/QUOTE]

Glad it worked out for you. I hardly use the streaming to my phone, but I was streaming to my phone last night over 3G and it worked really well. It buffered for a minute after starting the first song, then just played everything seamlessly. It's a great solution, and recently had an update that made the interface a little nice (but I still don't like the way the buttons look for play, pause, etc).

I upgraded from a Archos 7o to an Asus Tranformer. I wasn't sure if I made the right choice or not, but the more I use it the more I'm warm up to it. Thing feel friggin huge and makes my EVO 4G feel small. What do I miss the most? A kick stand... lol

In other news I renewed my contract.with Sprint because the gave me a 25% off my bill every mo. Also, a one time $50 credit toward my next bill. Sorry Metro.

getting the Droid Charge in the next few days...does anyone know where I can get a good price on the Otterbox or Bodyglove case for it? Should I just pick up any micro usb car charger as well or do I have to pick the verizon over priced one?

Also what's some good recommended apps for this thing?

[quote name='Clak']I'm kinda disappointed in a lot of the phones coming out. None of them really seem to do it for me.[/QUOTE]

Some good ones are coming. Samsung Galaxy S II, HTC Sensation, Droid Bionic, HTC Holiday. That's assuming you like 4.3" to 4.5" screens.

Maybe I should have said "phones coming out for Verizon." Besides the Bionic, which has yet to be released, I'm not exited about nay of them. I don't know why anyone would want the Charge.

[quote name='Clak']Maybe I should have said "phones coming out for Verizon." Besides the Bionic, which has yet to be released, I'm not exited about nay of them. I don't know why anyone would want the Charge.[/QUOTE]

Better battery life than the Thunderbolt

[quote name='sendme']Anyone know when google is to start sending out invites for the music beta? I thought they were to have started now. I sent an email asking their customer support about it and all I was told is due to overwhelming demand they could not give me any info on the invites.[/QUOTE]
Got my invite today. I signed up the day it was announced.

Anyone have an issue with their gmail unread count on Android not making the web gmail unread?
Like if I read messages on my phone, they are unread and not bold anymore, but then if I go to gmail.com on the web it still shows the emails as unread? I have the email sync turned on, anything else would cause it?

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone have an issue with their gmail unread count on Android not making the web gmail unread?
Like if I read messages on my phone, they are unread and not bold anymore, but then if I go to gmail.com on the web it still shows the emails as unread? I have the email sync turned on, anything else would cause it?[/QUOTE]

I've never experienced that.

I love my thunderbolt. I only got it because i wanted to lock in the unlimited 4g plan. It is really, really nice. The only phone that i would consider better would have been the Evo 3D, but its on the slow sprint fake 4G network, so i'd take the Thunderbolt over it anytime.

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone have an issue with their gmail unread count on Android not making the web gmail unread?
Like if I read messages on my phone, they are unread and not bold anymore, but then if I go to gmail.com on the web it still shows the emails as unread? I have the email sync turned on, anything else would cause it?[/QUOTE]

Never had this problem, but found this suggestion from google search:
I was final able to fix this by doing the following:

Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All>

Then scroll down to 'Gmail' and select it

Then select 'Clear Data'

When you next open Gmail it will re-sync your mail. It cleared up my problem. This wipes out all of your Gmail settings, so you will need to set up your ringtone and notification options if you had made any customizations.

[quote name='elessar123']Better battery life than the Thunderbolt[/QUOTE]
That would have to be the only reason. It's nothing special in any other way, and I still laugh when I think of the price it was released at, thus the name Overcharge.

I think I bricked my phone. I downloaded 2.3 on my evo that is rooted and now all I get when it installs is the android with the ! in a triagle next to it.

EDIT: Well I was able to get it to work. Had to find an Hboot 2.1 PC36IMG.zip and unroot. Then it worked fine. Seems to run a little bit better. To bad Sense 3 wont come out on the EVO. Might trade the thing in for the 3d when it comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
My EVO died today. I took it to the Sprint store and they tried to fix it but were unable to. They offered me another phone (white EVO, I would have had to wait for black) I took it. I have the protection plan and they never mentioned anything about charging me. How do I know if I'll be getting a bill or not?

I would just call and ask. If you are paying 7 bucks a month I don't see why they would charge you.

About 6 months ago I had a background app that had 3D backgrounds on it. Well that is what they called them anyway. The one I was using from it was of Stonehenge. When I would scroll to the other screens the background would move to that side. Middle screen you were looking at the middle of Stonehenge and if you scroll to the right i twas the right of it and the left it was the left side. I thought the app was called HD Backgrounds. However the one called HD backgrounds looks nothing like the program I had and the same goes for the backgrounds on it. All of them did the same thing. Anyone know of the app I'm talking about? I really liked some of the backgrounds but can not seem to find it anymore.

EDIT: never mind. looks like it might be the same one. guess they had a big update from the last time i used it and i still can not find the Stonehenge one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Never had this problem, but found this suggestion from google search:[/QUOTE]

Heh thanks, that's what I found too, later on and it worked. :)

Also, anyone here use any Bluetooth Stereo Headsets with their android phone?
I've been using the Cardiotrainer portion of the Noom weight loss app https://market.android.com/details?id=com.wsl.noom and you can listen to your music while doing workouts. Currently I'm using a crappy pair of earbuds, but wanted a bluetooth/wireless pair.

I almost picked up a pair ofMotorola S10-HD Bluetooth Stereo Headphones while at Fry's yesterday, but Amazon had them much cheaper for $60.. Is that a good pair or are there any other better ones you guys have tried?

I also was looking at
the Plantronics Backbeat 906 Bluetooth headphones
as well as the Jaybird ones
http://www.jaybirdsport.com/sb2/bluetooth-headphones-features.html
http://www.jaybirdgear.com/jf3/

I have Rocketfish™ Mobile - RF-MAB2 High-Definition Stereo Bluetooth Headphones - Black and they are not bad but also not that great. Only issue I am now having is at the gym I sweat so much now that they cut out at times. I don't really know if it is because of that or if it could be my iPod. I have not used them on my EVO due to battery issues but have been thinking about making the switch anyway. If I remember right they do not come with directions on setting up and you have to look it all up online. You have different audio settings but no way to tell what one you are on. Think best buy wants 60 for them but to me they are only worth 40. When they no longer work I will be looking for a different brand.

I got my Google Music Beta invite today. It's pretty awesome so far. I was able to upload my almost whole music library (about 3000) though 200 had upload errors for some reason. Still, the amount of space you're given is fantastic.
I'll have to see how much it drains my batteries before I use it with any frequency, but I'm liking it a lot.

I got my Music Beta invite about a week ago, been meaning to check in here. I like it. When it was first released I had read a quick preview thing on Engadget and they were going on and on about how the uploading had no options - they didn't like that it "just worked", I guess. I thought it seemed fine at the time, and in action, I still think it works great. I have a server that's always on, so leaving one program uploading my 17k songs for the last week has been no issue.
I thought Apple's dig at uploading music at their press conference for iOS5 was interesting. For those that haven't heard, Apple is going to do a music matching thing that looks at your music, and if they have a match in iTunes, it won't upload, it will just link to that match in the cloud. This sounds pretty neat, but if the downside of Android is that I have to wait a little bit for my music to get to the cloud? Not a deal breaker. And not having streaming from the iTunes iCloud = iDisappoint. I kind of don't see the point of music in the cloud if I still have to download it to listen to it. Slightly more convenient than moving it over manually from my computer.
In short, Music Beta is working pretty well. The Instant Mix option is neat.

HTC doubleshot coming out july 7 for tmobile.. it's looking like the best option for a dual core qwerty slider.

I think the Droid 3 comes out really late in the year.

New to the world of Android (just got my first smartphone this week). Making my way through the threads slowly for good apps, but in the meanwhile, anybody have any recommendations on shooters. Of the shmup variety is preferable, but any shooter will do..

I'm really disappointed in Verizon's current crop of Android phones. The Bionic/Targa is a ways off and I don't know if it will be any good or not really. I still think it's something with Apple. The same thing was going on with AT&T for a while, then suddenly they started getting better Android phones. Now Verizon has the iPhone and suddenly their crop of Android phones seems to be going down hill. Some sort of agreement with Apple to not give the iPhone too much competition for some period?

I've a general question for anyone with a Droid Incredible:
How is the phone? I've got a little under a year left with my VZW contract, so no upgrading or changing carriers. I have an original Droid which has been really buggy and slow from the start; currently have it rooted with Cynaogenmod 7 installed, still just really pretty awful.
I got the Droid for free with my contract, so I wouldn't feel too bad to spend about $200 on a new (used) phone, and the Incredible seems to show up on Craigslist for about that price quite a bit in my area.
So, worth it? If not, I'm thinking Droid X, but don't see those as often. The amount of Incredibles I see also leads to me to wonder why so many people want to sell theirs.

Stupid question.. on Angry Birds Rio (ad-free) that was available as a free app of the day.. Obviously now it's no longer free but $0.99.
So they had some sort of carnival update last week
If I go to My Apps > Update Available, then click the icon, it will take me to the AB Product page and show the $0.99 price then the update button? Am I going to be charged for the update? I thought if the Amazon app games are tied to account we can re-download at no charge and get free updates? I guess the UI makes it kinda confusing...

Just got the droid charge last week...love it...can be quirky sometimes.
Hey can anyone recommend a good case for this thing? Best Buy only had that POS RF case for it. Otterbox still hasn't release the case for it and I can't find any good detail reviews for the body glove version.

Looking for a good eBook reader that will read all files. I don't really like opening up google books kindle and StarBooks. So does anyone know of a reader for android that reads all files that is free?

bread's done
Back